HSB Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Douglas G. Elliot

1. "SVP"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Hartford, CT

I have been working at HSB Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, beautiful building, friendly down to earth CEO (Greg Barats), flexible/telecommuting available.

Cons

you have to pay to park in the building.

"Just stay away from the call center (CSC)"

Current Employee - Customer Solutions Associate in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Solutions Associate in Wayne, PA

I have been working at HSB Group (More than a year)

Pros

HSB is a great company with a great reputation; they have a rich history in their business and they are very innovative. Salaries and benefits are decent. Working in any any department (except the call center) is great; as long as you do your work, supervisors don't bother you.

Cons

The call center (CSC) is by far the WORST position to have in the entire company; First off, you are the first line of contact/support for the company, but there is very little you can actually do to help anyone, that it's frustrating. You primarily schedule inspections, but there are limits to that and the inspection department is always complaining about your work (yet they never answer a call or an IM for help when you need them; they're useless complainers)

Second off, supervisors only seem to care about the service level; if it drops two points they freak out and IM you incessantly, even when you're already on a call. You have a limited time for after call notes, but the second you finish a call they're telling you to take more calls and do notes later (which causes mistakes to be made). Then they complain that cases have errors on them. They say they want "Quality over Quanity", but it's impossible to do that when you've got supervisors complaining about the service level all day.

Speaking of the service level, they have the system programmed so that some people get more calls than others, which isn't always fair because that causes more stress and more errors. If we're all in the same position, we should all get the same amount of calls, right? nope. But again, it's NOT ABOUT YOU, it's ABOUT THE SERVICE LEVEL. If you get up to use the bathroom or get water, they complain because it's NOT ABOUT YOU, it's ABOUT THE SERVICE LEVEL. And if you complain, they fire you immediately and replace you with temps that get paid less.

Third: It's honestly the least prestigious position in the whole company; People look down on you because even though you do other things like processing and claims prep, at the end of the day all you do is "answer phones all day". If there are company events like picnics or office parties, you don't get to go because "someone has to answer the phones". Turnover for the department (supervisors and employees both) is near 100%; a lot of people burn out and either leave the company or get fired because they're so overworked it makes it impossible to answer the phone and sound happy.

I should also point out that they argue that this position is a stepping stone to better positions with the company; Wrong! Being transferred out of the CSC is a rarity. Contrary to what they say, few people move out of the call center. In fact, we've been told by managers that it's a rarity to be moved out of the CSC. Unless you're related to a manager or something (nepotism is rampant here) promotions are the (rare) exception, not the rule.

Advice to Management

Stop lying about what the position is: It's a call center job. Advertise it as such.

Recognize that employees are stressed out enough as it is; they don't need to be micromanaged so much for a job that doesn't take that much skill. And stop with the e-mails and IM's about taking calls and the service level. It doesn't help.

Everyone: Be nicer to CSC employees; we're the backbone of the company. We work a job that pays little and has too many metrics to count. It's stressful, and all we do is get complaints all day.

Stop with the complaints about the service level; We can all see it. We don't need it thrown in our faces constantly. And stop acting like the sky is falling when the SL drops a few points; it will go back up. Have faith in your employees.

Stand up for the CSC; Again, the metrics are hard and we still do them. When other departments (Inspection Support especially) complain over trivial stuff, come to our defense. Get them to respect our department. You're our leaders; act like it.

"Okay"

Current Employee - Workload Coordinator in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Workload Coordinator in Wayne, PA

I have been working at HSB Group (More than a year)

Pros

health insurance is pretty good.

Cons

You won't get far unless you're friends with management. Mistakes are noticed more than accomplishments. They pile responsibilities into your workload without any raise in pay. No work/life balance at all.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Good employees know their worth and end up leaving to find something better.

4. "Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Loss Control Inspector in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Loss Control Inspector in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at HSB Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

HSB pays well. They provide a company car and company shirts.

Cons

There is not much professional development. The only training provided is annual safety training. There is not much upward mobility. They may interview you but they have already chosen someone.

Advice to Management

Work on professional development of employees.

"Beware"

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Valley Forge, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Valley Forge, PA

I worked at HSB Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Time off, travel, room for advancement, company is growing and adding more products and features, effectively creating more jobs and opportunities

Cons

Constant pressure to be perfect every day. too many meetings, nepotism, upper management not fixing glaring problems that have existed for years.

Advice to Management

Give people more time to develop, or it will be a constant revolving door. 10 different supervisors in the past 11 years for one department.

"The culture here is great"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Hartford, CT

I have been working at HSB Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the culture here. Great benefits, employees feel valued. Upper management is fully supportive of innovation and R&D and seems extremely modest. The CEO knows your name and stops to talk with you and the rest of his staff have respect for everyone. Trust and respect permeate the organization.

Very flexible, professional work environment. Summer hours? Half days before holidays? Volunteering and company events with spouses encouraged. The perks are unheard of these days and HSB seems happy to support its employees.

Hsb is also a big supporter of the arts and united way. It's great knowing your company can support good causes and still be really successful.

Cons

A little slow to adopt changing technology. I have had great management in my group, but I understand that other groups can be a little different.

Advice to Management

Continue to value your employees - they are your best asset!

"Great Place to Work!!"

Former Employee - Inspection Support Representative Team Lead in Pottstown, PA
    Former Employee - Inspection Support Representative Team Lead in Pottstown, PA

I worked at HSB Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, great benefits. Tons of room for growth. Vacation and PTO starts immediately. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Some upper management can come across sexist but for the most part it is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Treat employees equally regardless of gender. Don't show favoritism towards some employees and make rules the same for everyone.

"Don't be Fooled"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Pros

Some good people and good projects to work on

Cons

Highly political back stabbing culture, make sure you are protected

Advice to Management

Retire and let the next generation run the place

"Best company in the industry!"

Current Employee - Loss Control Inspector in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Loss Control Inspector in Louisville, KY

I have been working at HSB Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are fantastic! Through the entire hiring process, as well as all the training I've done up until this point, the people have been fantastic! My supervisor is very helpful and willing to work with me to ensure my success, as well as ensuring my family is well taken care of through the adjustments (transitioning out of the navy to a new city). The pay was even better than I had requested on my application, and the company offers so many benefits that it's like getting paid all over again!

Cons

The software we use on a day-to-day basis is out of date. It's not even that it's simply aged, but that it's aged and difficult to use. I'm fairly certain that there are dozens of software applications that could replace "Lotus Notes," but just haven't been implemented yet. I'm fairly certain that they're in the process of testing new software, so this "con" may not be here long.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, innovating, and making us the best company out there! Keep taking care of your people, and they'll keep taking care of business!

"No employee investment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I have been working at HSB Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large product availability, a lot to learn about a many facets of the industry. Many internal training tools available on to use on your own time.

Cons

Outdated technology, poor investment in employee morale, shifting job descriptions with no communication. Low pay and unreliable bonus structure, boys' club type leadership.

Advice to Management

Spend more time investing in worthwhile employees, and reward them for learning more skills instead of adding more responsibility to their plate with no benefit. Make the effort to lose dead weight employees instead of letting them drag teams down for years.