HSBC Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Old age home"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to grow old
    If you have a decent education degree and have no where else to go this place will be your refuge
    Lot of money but no ethics

Cons

Bureaucratic
    Was fined for laundering money of Mexican drug cartel
    Full of Oldies with Egos and no skills
    Has a big analytics division yet hires consultants for everything

Advice to Management

Start firing people. Unless you are running a charity

"Courageous Integrity - what a joke"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paycheck - thatbis the absolute only pro! The place is a dinosaur and we all know what happened to the dinosaurs - they became extinct

Cons

They tout courageous integrity but when you act withbit you are peanilized. The UK tries to run the US like a UK business - guess what??? Doesn’t work. A lot of silos, nobody wants to do anything and those that do are dumped on and get written up. If the manager likes you regardless if you are incompetent you keep your job. If management feels threatened rather than face and fix the problem they look to fire you.
    R U N.... don’t walk away from here

Advice to Management

Let the US run the business like a US business and look at Sr. Mgmt from GBC3 and up, they are worse than the captain from the titanic and are steering your ship straight to the ICEBERG.

3. "Corrupt to the core."

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Brandon, FL

I worked at HSBC Holdings (More than 5 years)

Pros

None. They have been corrupted from get go.

Cons

Everything about this bank smells dirty

4. "AML Compliance"

Former Employee - AML Compliance Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - AML Compliance Officer in New York, NY

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having gone through some pain (DPA, fines, etc.) AML compliance resources are better than many similar banks.

Cons

The AML Compliance at HSBC space grew very rapidly circa early 2010s, meaning that, in some cases, existing employees with extremely limited skill sets were promoted (in some cases several times) into management positions out of necessity. As I witness first-hand, the single goal of these chronically under qualified employees then became keeping up the charade that they had the requisite skill set to handle these management roles. The charade often included over reliance on more capable, more junior management and staff as well as throwing other staff "under the bus" in order to save their skin. Suffice to say it created a toxic environment where I had zero trust or confidence in many in management.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be penny-wise and dollar foolish with your relocation and cost savings efforts in the AML compliance space.

5. "The worst to temps"

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time

Pros

There are very few pros to speak of

Cons

Very disorganized on every front

"Summer Internship"

Pros

There were absolutely no pros.

Cons

Toxic work culture (aka most everyone in the group quit)
    Low pay (and did not get adequately paid for over time)
    No offer was given to any of the interns of the group due to a head count mistake by HR (which is unacceptable and I would not have accepted the internship if I had known they were not hiring for full time).

Advice to Management

Get your act together!!

"Pension"

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time

Pros

Large Company throughout the world.

Cons

Large Company, everything changes based on Global practices, not able to share much except that things are taken away from employees all in the name of Global standards. 2006 -2011 the company contributed 2% of salary to a pension, and it was just stopped. Most of the hiring in US has ceased.

"V.P. Premier Relationship Manager"

Current Employee - V P Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - V P Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a good work life balance in regards to the hrs because they close earlier than other retail banks. They tend to close at 4PM for the public or 5PM. That's it!

Cons

Where do I start, the company is using software from the 1980s based on DOS, you have over 4 passwords to sign in 4 different systems to do your job. Then you have to use a CRM software that is just an excuse to take time away from your work. Since you are REQUIRED to input your activities in order to demonstrate that you are "working" your book. This is a joke because it's used to justify your quarterly payout regardless of you exceeding your goals! Then you have Management that is so out of touch and also very much have no idea what things you need to complete and do your job. It's a disgrace that a company of this size, at least in the NY area, treats its employees like "disposable" rags with no regard to your career or how to improve your job. And NO, this is NOT from a disgruntled employee, this are facts of daily life in RBWM at HSBC. As an employee of HSBC you ARE NOT GIVEN the tools to do your job. All of the forms have to be completed by hand which increases the likelihood of you making a mistake which then increases your job insecurity. Management has no regards, nor do they care, on making sure that you decrease mistakes as these issues are not resolved. Management has no liability and you as an employee have ALL the liability and risk of risking your reputation. My advise is stay AWAY from HSBC, it's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Quit and go to work at Mcdonalds, because that's were you belong.

9. "CYAaaS"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at HSBC Holdings as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was fast, friendly, and enthusiastic. The building is large and a great layout for long walks.

Cons

Where do I Start? It was weeks before I was provisioned a laptop, and several months before the software I needed to do my job was installed and configured correctly. I was told by Management that I could not request and authorize these requests, but after it was apparent that the process had failed, Management shifted the blame to me. Except for disingenuous anti-money laundering certification classes and texting mandated by a settlement with the government, training was essentially nonexistent. Management required a printed list of all usernames and passwords be kept in each employee's desk, and another plaintext copy be stored on the network drive, even after the potential security risks this created were discussed. Management disregarded acute health issues I developed, stated that I would be replaced if I took off time for surgery, and was personally insulting during performance reviews.

Advice to Management

From what I saw, the corporate culture at HSBC is paranoid, more concerned with appearance than operation, and professionally toxic. Stop patching holes and start building a new, solid foundation instead.

10. "Challenging Culture"

Pros

Salary and benefits are relatively good

Cons

Huge bureaucracy. Hard to get anything done. Poor technology. Not innovative

Showing 495 of 7,315 reviews