HSBC Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver
Stuart T. Gulliver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"V.P. Premier Relationship Manager"

Current Employee - V P Relationship Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - V P Relationship Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a good work life balance in regards to the hrs because they close earlier than other retail banks. They tend to close at 4PM for the public or 5PM. That's it!

Cons

Where do I start, the company is using software from the 1980s based on DOS, you have over 4 passwords to sign in 4 different systems to do your job. Then you have to use a CRM software that is just an excuse to take time away from your work. Since you are REQUIRED to input your activities in order to demonstrate that you are "working" your book. This is a joke because it's used to justify your quarterly payout regardless of you exceeding your goals! Then you have Management that is so out of touch and also very much have no idea what things you need to complete and do your job. It's a disgrace that a company of this size, at least in the NY area, treats its employees like "disposable" rags with no regard to your career or how to improve your job. And NO, this is NOT from a disgruntled employee, this are facts of daily life in RBWM at HSBC. As an employee of HSBC you ARE NOT GIVEN the tools to do your job. All of the forms have to be completed by hand which increases the likelihood of you making a mistake which then increases your job insecurity. Management has no regards, nor do they care, on making sure that you decrease mistakes as these issues are not resolved. Management has no liability and you as an employee have ALL the liability and risk of risking your reputation. My advise is stay AWAY from HSBC, it's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Quit and go to work at Mcdonalds, because that's were you belong.

2. "CYAaaS"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at HSBC Holdings as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was fast, friendly, and enthusiastic. The building is large and a great layout for long walks.

Cons

Where do I Start? It was weeks before I was provisioned a laptop, and several months before the software I needed to do my job was installed and configured correctly. I was told by Management that I could not request and authorize these requests, but after it was apparent that the process had failed, Management shifted the blame to me. Except for disingenuous anti-money laundering certification classes and texting mandated by a settlement with the government, training was essentially nonexistent. Management required a printed list of all usernames and passwords be kept in each employee's desk, and another plaintext copy be stored on the network drive, even after the potential security risks this created were discussed. Management disregarded acute health issues I developed, stated that I would be replaced if I took off time for surgery, and was personally insulting during performance reviews.

Advice to Management

From what I saw, the corporate culture at HSBC is paranoid, more concerned with appearance than operation, and professionally toxic. Stop patching holes and start building a new, solid foundation instead.

3. "Great people and a horrible bank"

Former Employee - SVP- Division General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - SVP- Division General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO is generous
    401k match at 4%
    Air conditioning is spot on for most times
    Colleagues are friendly and intelligent

Cons

Technology is laughably bad. It's 2017 and we still cannot change PIN numbers at the branch. Citibank was changing PIN numbers in the branch in 1992.

Awful digital capabilities. Online banking is not user friendly, and slow. They do not arm their sales people with the right tools. You will spend more time fighting the system here than actually selling.

Management makes the sales staff spend tons of time on admin work then complains there's not enough sales.

I highly recommend to stay away from hsbc.

Maybe this is a problem only in the US but needs to change quick other wise, we will be left in the dust by the competitors

Advice to Management

Please invest in more in digital platform. Focus on 3 things. Analytics, automation and provide an Omni channel environment for clients. It's really not a difficult formula.

4. "Challenging Culture"

Pros

Salary and benefits are relatively good

Cons

Huge bureaucracy. Hard to get anything done. Poor technology. Not innovative

5. "Where do I BEGIN ..."

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, PTO & benefits.

Cons

Petty increase or nothing (if your lucky). They want you to chatted up & be happy when the work place sucks, too controlling. Delt with stale boring, awkward employees. No training. Tech in the dinosaur era!

Advice to Management

HSBC cult is not friendly, inconsistent & phony. By far the most out of touch & dumbest management. The way they treat employees reflects on how poor their service is towrads customers. The only thing they are running is the business to the ground.

6. "Steer clear unless you want to get experience and move on."

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time

Pros

They had pretty good benefits but were chipping away at removing them.

Cons

They outsource everything. If they can send a job offshore they will. They tend not to hire Americans. High stress always talking about down sizing in an effort to get people to quit. Do not care about employees period. Expect employee loyalty when they have no loyalty towards them. If I could give them a zero rating I would.

Advice to Management

Learn to do your jobs rather than getting other people in your group to do it for you.

7. "Large Elephant - with its benefits and drawbacks"

Former Employee - Trading in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trading in New York, NY

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large Elephant - will always survive, despite many problems

Cons

Large Elephant - heavy, slow to move and has many problems, like financial scandals, poor oversight, unmotivated employees, political clans...

Advice to Management

Respect the ethos you are requiring from your own employees.
    Pay your employees better, maybe you'll hire better ones and will avoid scandals.

"VP Premier relationship Advisor Role"

Former Employee - Vice President Premier Relationship Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Premier Relationship Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't any pros to working here

Cons

They find every excuse not to pay bonuses. They micro manage employees. They expect you to work overtime and not pay you for it. Branches are in disrepair. Awful customer service. Lack of competitive products to see. They promise a book of thousands of 'affluent' customers but they don't have any. They force you to sell products unsuitable to clients needs. Zero advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Stop forcing employees to sell insurance and annuities products to people who don't need them

9. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck - nothing more! I could not say enough about how this place SUCKS THE LIFE OUT IF YOU!

Cons

Medical - Pay - Time off - management could care less, only looks to point fingers, lay blame and cover their own backs! Feels like you are thrown under the bus daily

Advice to Management

Wake up - actually care about your people stop discussing personal stuff about employees on the floor. Your ppl make you look good and honestly nobody cares - the ppl don't care about Mgmt or their jobs that's why nothing gets done.

10. "Liscensed HSBC liquidity holder"

Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in New York, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pride of ownership,retirement looks great

Cons

The air conditioning is too cold

Advice to Management

Input vs.output is ok

Showing 451 of 6,527 reviews