HSBC Holdings Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
HSBC Holdings Chief Executive Stuart T. Gulliver
Stuart T. Gulliver

Cons

1. "Large Elephant - with its benefits and drawbacks"

Former Employee - Trading in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Trading in New York, NY

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large Elephant - will always survive, despite many problems

Cons

Large Elephant - heavy, slow to move and has many problems, like financial scandals, poor oversight, unmotivated employees, political clans...

Advice to Management

Respect the ethos you are requiring from your own employees.
    Pay your employees better, maybe you'll hire better ones and will avoid scandals.

2. "VP Premier relationship Advisor Role"

Former Employee - Vice President Premier Relationship Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Premier Relationship Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There aren't any pros to working here

Cons

They find every excuse not to pay bonuses. They micro manage employees. They expect you to work overtime and not pay you for it. Branches are in disrepair. Awful customer service. Lack of competitive products to see. They promise a book of thousands of 'affluent' customers but they don't have any. They force you to sell products unsuitable to clients needs. Zero advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Stop forcing employees to sell insurance and annuities products to people who don't need them

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck - nothing more! I could not say enough about how this place SUCKS THE LIFE OUT IF YOU!

Cons

Medical - Pay - Time off - management could care less, only looks to point fingers, lay blame and cover their own backs! Feels like you are thrown under the bus daily

Advice to Management

Wake up - actually care about your people stop discussing personal stuff about employees on the floor. Your ppl make you look good and honestly nobody cares - the ppl don't care about Mgmt or their jobs that's why nothing gets done.

5. "Liscensed HSBC liquidity holder"

Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in New York, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pride of ownership,retirement looks great

Cons

The air conditioning is too cold

Advice to Management

Input vs.output is ok

6. "Awful place to work."

Current Employee - Ccs in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Ccs in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I really can't think of any anymore. No raise for working hard, meager bonus.

Cons

There is no future there. They are making so many crazy changes to the detriment of the bank. Management doesn't know what they are doing. Laying good experienced employees off with many years with the company. They don't hire Americans anymore, just people from India. They are taking all our jobs. If your smart, bypass this one.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

7. "Not recommended"

Current Employee - Senior Credit Risk Analytics Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Credit Risk Analytics Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Flexible schedule and WfH option. Company contributes 6% in 41K.

Cons

Too much politics. Little chance to grow. I wouldn't recommend this company.

Advice to Management

Give subordinates some freedom

8. "Stay away if you can"

Current Employee - Sales & Trading Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales & Trading Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is the only good point.

Cons

Very hard to get promoted past VP because MDs don't move up and they don't get fired... so you have a ceiling... They can hold you as a VP/SVP for 10-15 years without a problem.

Pay is not great, either. Every level gets about 30-40% below the market standard and MDs slash the bonuses of the junior guys to compensate for them being "underpaid".

An okay place to come for 2-3 years and move on to a better company.

Advice to Management

Start firing MDs and moving the junior people up.
    Start paying more to retain the talent.
    Embrace new technology.
    Stop transferring people from Europe and Latin America, promote your own people!
    Develop some kind of culture... it's non-existent.

Basically, the MDs are fed and don't want to invest their time to make a change... they are comfortable as it is as a paycheck collection place...

New and hungry people are urgently needed in this old, out-dated, culture-less corporation.

9. "HSBC is a horrible place for an admin"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at HSBC Holdings (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, None. I was unemployed for 6 moths before taking this job

Cons

Having to take a core leave of 2 weeks at a time. I found that awful. That was 50% of my PTO.
    The manager I had was a nightmare

Advice to Management

You need to be better to your admins

10. "Sr Mortgage Analyst (CML Division)"

Former Employee - Senior Mortgage Analyst in Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Mortgage Analyst in Brandon, FL

I worked at HSBC Holdings (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of flexibility with hours and dress code predicated upon the fact that the division was phasing out operations. Salary was comparable within the industry. Otherwise, there isn't much good to say.

Cons

Terrible work environment complicated by employee attitudes, job insecurity and constant internal reorganizations to promote the phase out of the operations in Brandon, FL and Elmhurst IL formerly, Household Finance Corporation and Beneficial Finance. At one point they decided we couldn't have waste baskets at our desks anymore!! This was the Worst company I have EVER worked for starting with the hiring process which took over 6 weeks during which the recruiter changed and my inquiries went unanswered for a 2 week period AFTER face to face interview with the hiring manager. The onboarding was as bad or worse and there was NO orientation or training.to ensure I had all the tools necessary to perform successfully in the position. Further, they failed to do a formal 1 on 1 meeting to go over the position and establish me in the HR system. My manager called me 1 week after I started to inform me that my title had changed but gave no reason?? When the year end rolled around 6 months later they discovered I was NOT in the system. There was constant turmoil with restructuring as the portfolio shrank and fewer staff was needed to service the remainder. I was moved in/out of 3 different positions in 18 months. Employees were generally indifferent to new hires from outside as they perceived them as a "threat" so they didn't want to train or assist in any way. As the downsizing occurred non managed employees were mysteriously promoted to supervisory positions without any formal training or background in management. Time off was comparable to similar companies but insurance was definitely inferior as HSBC continues to shift more costs over to employees.

Advice to Management

Close this mess down ASAP!! This division is negatively impacting the reputation of HSBC. This division of HSBC is the "DOLLAR GENERAL" of the mortgage banking/servicing industry.

11. "Sr Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Brandon, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Brandon, FL

I worked at HSBC Holdings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was comparable and time off was comparable to companies of similar size, business and structure.

Cons

Brandon and Elmhurst locations are in workout mode. Constant reorganization and "weeding out" of business lines and staff as business portfolio shrinks. Corporate approach is different and hard to undetstand at times since this is NOT a US based or originated company. Insurance benefits are subpar to companies of similar size and type. Moved in/out of 3 positions in 18 months, with no orientation or training program. Worst place I EVER worked l.

Advice to Management

Require successful completion of a management training course BEFORE you promote people into management and supervisory positions. Dont hire from outside for positions in workout or phase out divisions. Why do you allow vindictive managers to give poor reviews to employees who are already under severeance notification?

Showing 426 of 6,192 reviews