HSN Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
HSN CEO Mindy Grossman
Mindy Grossman

Pros
Cons
  • There is no work/life balance and you can get burnt out very quickly (in 17 reviews)

• Low pay, no room for advancement and the customers can sometimes be very rude (in 12 reviews)

"Company is struggling"

Current Employee - WAH Sales/Service Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - WAH Sales/Service Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at HSN part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice to work from home, compensation and vacation for part-time employment is good.

Cons

Company is not employee friendly, although they tell you they are. Schedules are showing 5.5 hours many days, which enable them to give one 15 min break (instead of 2 15 min breaks for 6 hours) on a "business needs" basis. It's usually 1.5 hours into a 5.5 hour shift. Incentive schedule was changed so that only the top 1% of sellers get any incentive pay at all. Worked here 3 years and only make .14 more per hour than new hires. Corporate tells us they are trying to hold on to our jobs by scheduling less days to work, but keep hiring.

Advice to Management

Show your front line employees that they really matter. Try keeping up with the times. You may need to make adjustments to your shipping policies. Orders should be filled first come, first serve.

"A sinking ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at HSN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The employee discount is nice, assuming you can find something you actually want to buy. It's fun seeing celebrities around the campus.

Cons

The company has gone far too long without investing in IT infrastructure; systems are outdated, sluggish, and glitchy, resulting in a high number of customer order errors. Many managers were hired because they are Type A personalities, even though they are not qualified to run a department. Opportunities for advancement are limited. Pay is not competitive with other businesses in the area. Mindy and the senior leadership team have no plan to turn the business around and instead keeps spouting the same tired lines about "leveraging content" and "telling a story."

Advice to Management

Invest in IT and make a website that actually functions correctly. Upgrade to order management software that actually works. Stop claiming the customer wants a story. The presentations are the same tired, over-the-top pitches they've always been since the 80s. The bulk of your sales are on cheap, made in China junk. If you want to stay in business, be able to compete with other retailers on price, convenience, speed, and accuracy. Currently you fail at all of these things.

"Not Fun Here"

Former Employee - Production in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Production in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at HSN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very few. Pto and benefits

Cons

One, if not the most, disorganized, unprofessional places ever. you have people who have been there for so long and have no idea what they are doing. you have a CEO who has constantly lost money in this company for five years and yet it still CEO! you have VPs that expect a crew to indulge their every whim. so stressful that I saw people crying all the time. you overhear people saying from every department how bad things are. it shouldn't be that hard.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO first off, so you're not pressuring your employees to make up for all the losses she is making. Treat people with an ounce of respect would be my second suggestion.

5. "Ok"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

Pros

Weekly pay is the only good thing

Cons

Walking the entire time, long 10 hour shifts

Advice to Management

None

"Employees are Respectful/Kind to One another"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Petersburg, FL

Pros

shopping discounts, great customers, everyone seems very kind to one another

Cons

phone calls roll in without a break to sip water in between. Should implementa 30 second delay like other call centers/customer service enters

Advice to Management

Please ensure information given in training matches information given in nesting. Implement a break in between calls to sip water

""We don't care here""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at HSN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly few...they had good PTO and that's about all I can say.

Cons

Horrible treatment of hard working employees. The company has lost touch of what it's priorities should be and instead pay way more attention to their D list celebrities and spend an insane amount of money on vendors and host parties. The people who are actually doing the day to day work are basically seen as disposable trash. Forget about a raise with this place, they will pick out the had working employees place an insane amount of work for them to do and at the end of the year you will get the same 3% merit as someone who has done nothing all year long. There is also absolutely no accountability for upper management what so ever. Many of them are relinquished of their responsibilities and they are given to the lower payed workers who already have a lot on their plate while those managers are still getting paid a nice salary.

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring your employees and pay them what they are actually worth! It should be a clear sign that in the past year many of your best employees have jumped ship, that obviuosly something isn't going well. Have better insurance instead of constantly having premiums go up every year while pay is stagnant. Actually have MERIT based raises instead of giving everyone in the company 3%! That is not merit, that's a pat on the back for sticking with the company another year, some of those people don't even deserve 1%, get rid of those people and reward the people who were working incredibly hard for you. Make management accountable, some managers get away with so much and everyone turns an eye. Bottom line is stop blowing your money on people including employees who are basically lame ducks that have been there 20 years and are just trudging along, stop spending insane amounts of money on hosts and vendors and actually take a look at your hard working employees and value them properly. Without those hard workers this company won't last.

8. "CUSTOMER SERVICE-SALES"

Former Employee - WAH Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - WAH Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at HSN full-time

Pros

I love love love my co-workers!! You meet so many amazing people here. Also I loved my hours and the customers were fabulous. Yes you had your jerks but what place doesnt :) I truly loved this job was just dealt a terrible supervisor and a very nieve Manager who wouldnt do anything about her. It was the best job I ever had, it was also the worst bc I truly have never been so belittled by another human in my life.

Cons

MANAGEMENT IS TERRIBLE- I was bullied by my supervisor on a daily basis. I had read similar reviews and though how unlucky for that person. Unfortunately I must have gotten that terrible supervisor. I asked for help from my Manager and they did nothing. I was misguided by my supervisor purposefully which led to my termination. If you are a good person who has a great personality dont waste it here. I have a great personality and great call times, and reviews of the customer but was treated like crap by my supervisor bc of conflict of personalities and bc I have a disability. I begged for help and never recieved it. She knew how to get me fired and thats exactly what she did. I listened to my leader and it got me fired. Thats HSN for you :)

Advice to Management

Believe your employees when they state they are being bullied by their supervisor. Unfortunately the company still has a very corrupt supervisor working for them.

"WAH"

Former Employee - WAH Sales in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - WAH Sales in Toledo, OH

I worked at HSN part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work at home. There is some flexibility in hours if you can get someone to trade or pick them up for you.

Cons

Made changes without informing employees. Then when questioned about it. kept telling employees that they didn't know what was going on. Treated OH differently than other WAH states. Took cv away, made it impossible to trade with other states once you are trained for cbi. OH is stuck taking all the calls when FL and TN get to take CV. Compliance is a joke. If you clock out to take a restroom break when it is not your break time or take your break late, it affects your compliance.

Advice to Management

Don't make changes without informing employees first. Let OH have the CV that they were told they would have when hired, not take it away without telling them. Be honest with your employees instead of telling them we don't know what is going on when you make changes.

"Avoid if possible"

Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Johnson City, TN
    Current Employee - Merchandise Assistant in Johnson City, TN

I have been working at HSN (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job but that is about it.

Cons

HSN cares little for the life of their employees outside of work. ALL is secondary to HSN. Current situation with their warehouse in TN exemplifies poor planning and leadership as the company has invested an enormous amount of capital in a new system that has yet to work and, in most employees opinion, will never work. Consequently, we are losing customers and money at an alarming rate. The future of the company is indeed perilous so avoid if you can

Advice to Management

retire

"Customer Service/Sales"

Former Employee - Customer Service Hybrid in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Hybrid in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at HSN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The campus was a great community with lots of activities and perks. They do give you plenty of training and will not give up on you if you need more help in one area or another.

Cons

The schedule was tough to keep up. Only being able to get up at certain time to go to the bathroom. The pay wasn't worth the abuse the customers gave you over the phone. I had a nasty caller once that made sexually explicit comments to me. I reported it and I was given about 15 minutes to settle down. That was the last straw.