HUB International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
HUB International Chairman and CEO Martin P. Hughes
Martin P. Hughes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They understand the importance of work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Great people and good training environment (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • They promote work/life balance but do not help you achieve it (in 9 reviews)

• Stuck in low pay, no advancement (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Small Group Account Manager Employee Benefits"

Current Employee - Small Group Account Manager in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Small Group Account Manager in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at HUB International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful place to work!! Great management, great support, working with the clients is a pleasure. Every aspect of your day you have the support you need to get it done. All you need is a positive attitude and motivation to actually work and learn and you will be rewarded with constant positive reinforcement, praise, and "thank-you"'s every day. My co-workers are all there to support me when I need help, I could go to any one of them and they would drop what they are doing to answer my questions. Teamwork and positive change is out culture, and we are truly lucky to have such a great office at this location. The carrier support is phenomenal. Due to HUB's relationships you will be able to learn and thrive and get your clients the attention they deserve. You will have more room to learn and grow than you could imagine. Empowerment is present in every way. My manager personally, I trust, and I think she has my interest at heart, literally. She is a excellent communicator, says thank you to me more than once a day, literally everyday. She is polite, courteous, respectful and extremely knowledgable. Many days I have no idea how she gets it all done, you would be lucky to work for her. There is a Cafeteria in our office, Cappucino Machines, parking, all of your needs in downtown Clearwater.

Cons

Possibility the office is moving to Tampa for the employees that will not commute, which would include me and a few other great staff, the location here is perfect. Salary is probably 5-10% lower than others in industry, but no commute makes it more than worth it. This office is growing and adapting as all companies do after acquisition and change, and most of the "cons" have been identified and remedied. No office is perfect, this one is pretty close. If you can't keep up with a fast paced environment, handle multiple tasks at once, and mostly if you do not have Critical Thinking skills you will not do well here. If you are expecting instant raises, unearned quick promotions, and make constant demands or don't show up for work frequently, don't apply please.

Advice to Management

Management is doing an incredible job taking input and feedback and creating change in positive ways. Management is always one step away to help with anything you need. They are open, have frequent meetings, listen and truly care. Management has meetings with you in one form or another almost everyday to "check-in" and make sure you have what you need, that is incredible. I have seen positive change directed by management more than I could express, they truly care. As I have read other reviews, every company needs to make a profit, HUB is no exception, but they take care of their employees with excellent benefits, TRUST, flexible schedules, and all of the support you could ask for. My only issue, seriously is that I will probably have to sacrifice the position and client relationships to not commute. This is a wonderful office. Keep up the great work HUB Clearwater!

HUB International Response

Oct 20, 2017 – Vice President, Talent Acquisition

What a great compliment to your team and management staff in Clearwater. Your enthusiasm, cooperative spirit and positive outlook seems to manifest in your work ethic and appreciation of your... More

2. "It was a pleasure working with HUB International in San Diego, CA."

Former Employee - Benefits Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Benefits Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at HUB International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My colleagues have been working for at least 10 years. Loyalty says a lot about how a company values their workforce.

Cons

Growth potential would have been a challenge because everyone there (except me) has worked for years and there was rarely a job opening for account management, unless it would have been a new opportunity - of which, tenure was taken into account for promotion. Good to know they promote within first.

3. "Great Senior Leadership & Longevity"

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at HUB International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most people have been here for a long time so that is a plus. The many offices allow for some flexibility with working closer to home or where sometimes convenient.

Cons

Understaffed departments and unrealistic workload.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and promote from within.

4. "Good company"

I have been working at HUB International full-time

Pros

We were part of an acquisition. They cared about how our company was onboarded and have worked hard not to upset the things we do well.

Cons

The pro becomes a con because it's hard to unite all the disparate offices and resources into one common culture when you are an acquisition-centric company.

Advice to Management

Lots of acquisitions bring services that they think are unique to the table. It would be good for there to be a broader understanding of what offices offer what specialized services.

"Good Company but perhaps growing too fast for the staff and resources they have in place"

I worked at HUB International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management is engaged for the most part with employees and you know where you stand

Cons

HUB is an acquisition monster. They continually are buying smaller agencies and trying to incorporate their blocks of business into the whole. The problem is that they grow so fast that lots of things get lost in the shuffle. New acquisitions have no clue as to what resources are available and they do not know what procedures to follow. Also, HUB is a slave to their investors. It is all about the bottom line, so salaries and benefits are below industry standard.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on retention of current employees and current clients and slow down on the acquisitions. One person can only do so much and money towards sufficient staff, reasonable salaries, and better benefits would go a long way toward retaining both employees and clients.

6. "Great company and people"

I have been working at HUB International full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial culture. Cutting edge of employee benefits. Very collaborative culture.

Cons

Nothing negative. Great company.

Advice to Management

Keep promoting the entrepreneurial culture of your workforce.

7. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at HUB International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment, leadership is very involved with clients and have an open door policy. Teams are allowed to focus on what is best for clients.

Cons

HUB has acquired new acquisitions which always makes for tension between employees. Other then that, the atmosphere and culture is wonderful.

Advice to Management

Keep an open door policy and listen to your employees who work the closest with clients. The best big picture ideas often come from listening to the people in the weeds.

8. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Employee Benefits Account Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Employee Benefits Account Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at HUB International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exempt, fair with time off requests.

Cons

No annual pay increases, or recognition

Advice to Management

Value your employees

"Financial Analyst"

I have been working at HUB International full-time

Pros

There are good people who work here

Cons

Low salary, no growth, benefits could be better

Advice to Management

Think outside the box

"Did not like working here"

I worked at HUB International full-time

Pros

Really no pros nothing positive to say

Cons

Very poor management in blue bell

Advice to Management

Learn to be there for your employees . Be pro active