HUB International Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
HUB International Chairman and CEO Martin P. Hughes
Martin P. Hughes

Pros
Cons
  • High pressure to get things done and very little work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay, IT environment has many issues (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wonderful work environment. A company that truly cares!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at HUB International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company support, room for growth, and coworkers. HUB wants everyone to succeed both personally and at a team level.

Cons

None that I can find since I have been there. Coworkers with more company experience have indicated little to none as well.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The consideration that is taken from employee suggestions is appreciated.

HUB International Response

Nov 1, 2016 – Deb Deters, Chief Human Resources Officer

It’s so good to hear that your time at HUB has been positive and that you’re getting the support you need to succeed. We want all of our employees to feel supported, appreciated and that they have a ... More

2. "Good company, on the verge of greatness"

Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at HUB International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture - respect and teamwork is the motto and is real.
    Good benefits package
    Good talent pool - knowledgeable and dedicated team members
    Lots of room for advancement
    Flexible work environment
    No micromanagers - plenty of freedom to do the job and have work/life balance

Cons

Lack of onsite IT support puts too much burden on staff
    Lots of change with systems and processes in recent years - hopefully this will normalize
    Not enough resources - people are spread very thin

Advice to Management

Fight for more resources in the field!

"Great people; work/life balance was an issue"

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at HUB International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed most of the staff and department heads. People are very good at their jobs and highly intelligent.

Cons

Limited support and department resources; the expectations of my role were unrealistic. They promote work/life balance but do not help you achieve it. Too much admin work for AM/AR's.

Advice to Management

Improve your internal hiring practices; you have a lot of talent that could be promoted within but is not being utilized due to hiring managers or people who should not be in management. Just because someone is good at sales doesn't mean they should rule the roost; it is bad for moral and the entire organization.

"Wonderful company and employees! I've found my work home."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at HUB International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The positive atmosphere, great co-workers, great management, compensation, room for advancement, location, awesome HR, stability, the list could go on and on!

Cons

None at this point. I'm only typing in this section because it won't let me submit until I reach the minimum word quota. I can't even think of one bad thing to say!

Advice to Management

More implementation of working off of files and applications on computers for the sake of going green, but it's great that HUB recycles!

"Executive Risk Consultant and Risk Architect"

Former Employee - Executive Risk Consultant in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Executive Risk Consultant in Tulsa, OK

I worked at HUB International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have Great Benefits there.

Cons

I have no cons to share

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Barnstable, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Barnstable, MA

I worked at HUB International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting salary and was able to make commission on a quarterly basis. Did not expect employees to work any overtime hours

Cons

Very corporate and don't seem to care about employees. There was huge turnover which made it harder to deal with clients who were upset.

"Nightmare"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at HUB International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Different locations to work from, free parking, co-worker friendships, good insurance companies, nice clients, no micromanaging, fun annual holiday party.

Cons

Clueless, unprofessional leadership. Leaders do not know how to lead, they don't know what they're doing. Poor staffing for the insane workload. Low morale due to constant increases in work without salary increases & more help. Terrible bonuses. Too much favoritism.

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff & stop ignoring them. Pay hardworking staff and they will take care of your clients. They treat clients as you treat them! Stop adding more work and unnecessary projects. Be honest & be fair. Stop ignoring staff requests for fair compensation because they know what's going on. Treat all staff equally. Make balanced workloads & teams. Stop the favoritism. Stop managers from socializing with their subordinates.

9. "Account Manager"

Pros

The work-life balance was good.

Cons

Pay & basically everything else.

"Workload / pay inbalance"

Former Employee - Work Horse in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Work Horse in Encino, CA

Pros

Decent benefits, good people, not micro-managed. Birthday celebrations, quarterly financial meetings, kitchen full of free snacks and drink. Yearly employee's day where the office gets together for some fun.

Cons

I handled the work of 3 desks when the company refused to hire replacements to the agents who quit because of the unrealistic workload, low pay and pressure to not overlook anything or make errors that are inevitable in these conditions. After tirelessly and thanklessly working these 3 desks, they decided they no longer needed my position and let me go. Some employees hold favor with management and do not get their work done, show up late, take excessive breaks and use cursing language in common areas around phones. Complaints fall on deaf ears while management makes excuses for them and expect you to pick up their slack.

Advice to Management

If people are not doing their work and fail to take warnings seriously, let them go instead of the people who work feverishly to get a ridiculous work load done. Stress is through the roof and most are miserable. When your best people complain about unfair conditions, LISTEN so you don't lose them. Stop adding on new goals at each employee review. We can't handle what's already on the table. Pay a competitive salary. I've seen many leave to your competitors because of this problem. You told me my level of knowledge did not fit in the mold of the new direction of the company so you let me go instead of training me. I now work at a company who saw my potential and invested in my training. I'm doing the very thing you said I wasn't prepared for - and I'm doing it well and at a much higher pay.

"It needs a lot of work"

Pros

I love the people I work with, but that is just not enough reason to work here.

Cons

Management does not listen when there is a clear problem. We are all overworked and completely exhausted. The pay is nothing compared to the amount of work and it's barely a liveable wage. We have so much potential, but I feel like they don't care and have no solutions to help us grow or take some of the load off. If something goes wrong that's the only time they care. Management has no clue what we do in a day, which is a lot! They expect way too much from just one person.

Advice to Management

Actually listen and stop trying to bring about solutions that clearly do not work. It's a huge waste of time. If you have multiple employees screaming the same tune, then it may be time to actually listen to them and their solutions cause they know best. It'd be shame to lose amazing employees just because they don't feel like you care.