HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING Reviews

Updated May 13, 2020

3.5
HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING Founder and Interim CEO John Hyde (no image)
John Hyde
1 Rating
  1. "Good place to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Promote growth and encourage individuals

Cons

No cons I know of

HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING2020-04-02
  2. "Good"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good working for the company, helping

Cons

compensation, work life balance, management

HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING2020-05-14

"Worst Company Horrible Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time for less than a year

Pros

1-2 good people in company but no one is listened to them

Cons

This is worst politics and negative organisation I have seen in my lifetime. Top management is very bad. They are not understanding anything but is talking and talking all the time. all the time finding one person to blame for some problem but never taking any responsibility on his head. He will be sending 2-3 emails everyday to show is working but you can see from emails his level of understanding is equal to 0. he is traveling here and there all the time but no projects are coming and no people are happy as he is not meeting any team employees. I am even heard that he is booking flight to go to canada to meet his daughter on company funding. but when its coming to employees he is not even giving people money to change location from one city to another or even giving correct increment or bonus. other in top management sitting in bangalore is not listening to anyone. Most politics person you are ever come across. all the time checking who is talking to who, who is sitting where, if his team person are talking to other team person he is scolding them. Doing all things in secret as if some big mission they are planning. If you ask any C&Q question or anything you will never get straight answer. only will go round and round. not participating in team activities also as if the whole qualification team is some higher persons. Accounting team is also very bad and they are acting as if they are ceo of company. acctually she is running company in one way. I am heard once she is saying that top management is not smart so I am making them do anything I want. She is approving everything and sending people to outside location without proper per diem or proper travel arrangement. For only 30 employees there are more than 10 back support people and even then there are so many problems. office boy is doing travel booking. One good travel booking person they have force resigned by changing his location. she is busy finding mistake of 10-20 rupees. but losing thousands of rupees in booking as now office boys are doing bookings. Half of the time we are only hearing cancel this change this flight etc and paying many thousand rupees. one two good persons in bookings was forced to resignation. There is no employee who is wanting to stay. Increment of some employee was 2 to 3 percent. are we beggars? if anyone is choosing this company then please dont make mistake. Sitting at home is better than negative environment of this place.

HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING2019-08-10

September 10, 2019Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. It is very unfortunate that you perceive many negative issues with the Hyde Asia organization. We respect our employees and make every effort to treat them fairly and respectfully. Our commitment is to seek continuous improvement and to collaborate for the best possible results for our employees and our clients. I encourage you to reach out to your direct manager with specific concerns so that they may be escalated and addressed. We are very proud of our team and their contributions to the global Hyde organization.

"Not the best and not the worst"

2.0
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time

Pros

-Friendly people and managers -Transparent with employees -Salary + overtime pay (normal pay, not 1.5x) -Can receive projects that allow you to travel -Health Insurance

Cons

-Very poor career and technical development -Work/life balance is not balanced -Family insurance is higher than other places

HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING2019-02-01

"Staffing Company with a fancy name"

I worked at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time

Pros

They have some SME's but no training program or time to impart that knowledge

Cons

The firm is a staffing firm with Engineering and Consulting in their title. They talk only about putting bodies on sites with no consideration of matching the skillset with the job requirements. I have seen instances of people being sent to site within their first week without any training or background. In my time there I never saw a proper Engineering project being executed. The management itself seems clueless on where the company is going in few years. God forbid if you resign, you are treated poorly unless of course you are going to the client side.

HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING2018-11-17

"Lacks respect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time for more than a year

Pros

decent vacation time, decent health insurance

Cons

toxic company culture, lack of support from company, puts unqualified people at client sites, only an ESOP with 5 year vesting schedule (and really 5.5 years if you start after June 30), extreme pressure to be 100% billable, very disorganized management

HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING2018-08-11

August 16, 2018CEO

Thank you for your feedback regarding your employment experience with Hyde. It is very unfortunate you felt the company did not support you. Just as in any consulting firm, we do expect our billable staff to attain high levels of billability as this is how the company generates revenue. We expect that exempt, salaried employees may occasionally be required to work more than 40 hours a week, which is a generally accepted standard for employees with this classification. We firmly believe in a respectful work environment and make all efforts to uphold respect between our employees and clients at all times. Your feedback reminds us that we must continue to reinforce this value across the organization. The majority of our employees perform their work on client sites. To address the potential lack of support or disengagement from the larger company culture, we have promoted employees into staff manager roles to reduce the number of direct reports per manager and to encourage more support for our employees and facilitate communication. If your experience was the opposite, we certainly wish you had communicated with us sooner, as we encourage and expect our employees to advocate for themselves. We are glad that you referenced our new Employee Stock Ownership Plan, launched in 2017. The vesting schedule matches our 401k schedule and encourages employees to commit to the organization for a period of time and contribute to the overall company performance. Ownership shares are given to the employees each year with no contribution required on their part. This provides all employees the opportunity to own a part of the company and benefit directly from their own efforts, and of course this is magnified over time. We wish you success in your future endeavors. Simon Forder CEO

7. "Great Place to Start (and Grow) Your Career"

4.0

Pros

Hyde is constantly evolving. While some may view this as a negative, it is clear that Hyde is responsive and adapting to changes in the market. The founder (John Hyde) transitioned his company into an employee-owned organization to protect the livelihood and careers of those that helped him build his business. The company is comprised of extremely talented people. No matter what your position is in the company, you'll be among a network of experts that can help you grow personally and professionally.

Cons

You must take personal ownership in your development at Hyde. As an employee-owned company, ownership is critical to success. Thinking like an owner, making impactful contributions, advocating for positive change, demonstrating leadership, and taking pride and accepting responsibility for your actions/work products will advance you in the organization.

HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING2018-05-02

"Goodbye for now...."

I worked at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time

Pros

Although my tenure as the Nor Cal Regional Manager was all too brief, I enjoyed the time. Like all things, there were some bad with all the good, but overall, enjoyable. While I did have my doubts about Hyde as a company during my first year and half, I came to understand Hyde was (and is) going through immense growing pains. We are transitioning from a small company to a mid-size company – WE ARE GROWING!!! – and that transition doesn’t always go smoothly. After being one of the Regional Managers and seeing what’s going-on on the “in-side,” we are changing for the better. To you young’uns… I encourage you to be patient with us as we work through this change. There is no road map to follow here – so some of this change needs to be slow! And, we are likely to make mistakes… SO BE PATIENT…

Cons

I only wish I could have invested more of my own time, but in my heart, I know I have made the right choice. In the end, would I come back if I were given the chance? YES

HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING2017-08-03

"Pleasant Experience"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Burlington, NJ

I worked at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hyde E+C is filled with individuals who are innovative and insightful, with indefinitely good spirits. In my working experience, I have not known a company with 1000+ people that is able to work so fluidly.

Cons

Notices of traveling to a job site were sometimes given a day before or the day of which lead to distressing situations.

HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING2017-07-21

August 5, 2017Director of U.S. Operations

Thanks for your response! I agree with your feedback regarding project lead time and our current bench situation. Over the years, particularly working as a field engineer, there were times in which I had little notice to prepare for my next project. As the Director of US Operations, it is important to me that we manage our business as proactively as possible and provide as much lead time to those that will be traveling to project sites. We are working to improve this process with better resource tracking and reporting. Our goal is to communicate with our engineers 4-6 weeks prior to the end of their project and provide transparency and advanced notice as to where their next project will be. Managing bench time is a current objective of the Operations Committee. With better resource tracking, we hope to minimize bench time. For those who are on the bench, we are creating a bench program that promotes knowledge sharing within the organization. The thought is that bench time will be used to highlight project deliverables, develop and share lessons learned, create internal training, mentor staff, engage in business development activities, and other pro-social organizational behaviors. We are working on rolling out a finalized program by the end of the year. Again, thank you for your feedback as this helps us grow as an organization. We hope our current initiatives will help improve these identified areas.

"Welcome to the world of politics and drama"

Former Employee - Engineer II in Boston, MA

I worked at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hard to think of any others than benefits . Good 401k and life insurance . Have few good people at basic level .

Cons

No growth , works like auto body shot , people comes and leaves. No specific training. People come and contribute per their skills but nothing extraordinary ! Just s common staffing firm experience!

HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING2017-08-04

August 9, 2017Director, Global Recruitment

Having worked in the staffing industry, I agree that there is one area where we are similar to a staffing company: the work that we support varies project to project. Meaning that you may support a commissioning project at a client location for 6 months and then support a cleaning validation project for another client for 12 months. What sets us apart from staffing companies is that you are a full-time of employee of Hyde E+C. Our full-time employees start with 4 weeks of paid-time off, receive full medical/vision/dental benefits, 401K and tuition reimbursement. We are actively working to improve our career development lattice. I care about supporting our career development initiatives, and it matters to me that we develop our staff. I encourage you to reach out to me directly with any additional questions or feedback. As with any company, you need to assess fit when interviewing, just as we do. In the consulting arena, expertise and project duration can potentially limit growth for employees from a project perspective. We believe growth and development always begins with candid conversation between the employee and their manager. We encourage our employees to take the initiative in this area, to seek out their manager to meet and discuss personal and professional goals and track progress on those toward a formal annual appraisal. No organization is perfect and as we continue to manage rapid growth, there is more probability for issues in communication to arise. Hyde management is committed to stay on top of this challenge to ensure we maintain our core values and keep our staff our first priority, as our employees are truly our differentiator and only “product,” and we believe that our staff are the best of the best.

Found 42 reviews