HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING Reviews | Glassdoor

Simon Forder

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Goodbye for now...."

I worked at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time

Pros

Although my tenure as the Nor Cal Regional Manager was all too brief, I enjoyed the time. Like all things, there were some bad with all the good, but overall, enjoyable.

While I did have my doubts about Hyde as a company during my first year and half, I came to understand Hyde was (and is) going through immense growing pains. We are transitioning from a small company to a mid-size company – WE ARE GROWING!!! – and that transition doesn’t always go smoothly. After being one of the Regional Managers and seeing what’s going-on on the “in-side,” we are changing for the better.

To you young’uns… I encourage you to be patient with us as we work through this change. There is no road map to follow here – so some of this change needs to be slow! And, we are likely to make mistakes… SO BE PATIENT…

Cons

I only wish I could have invested more of my own time, but in my heart, I know I have made the right choice. In the end, would I come back if I were given the chance? YES

Advice to Management

To our leadership, I thank-you for the opportunity to serve beside you and I encourage you to stay the current course. In some ways building our infrastructure may not seem profitable, but investing in our people, our product, is a sound investment – they will bring us more return than all the business development meals put together.

"Pleasant Experience"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Burlington, NJ
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Burlington, NJ

I worked at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hyde E+C is filled with individuals who are innovative and insightful, with indefinitely good spirits. In my working experience, I have not known a company with 1000+ people that is able to work so fluidly.

Cons

Notices of traveling to a job site were sometimes given a day before or the day of which lead to distressing situations.

Advice to Management

Management needs to better support engineers who are on the "bench". While on the bench, was given little to no tools to help professional growth, which eventually lead to lay off.

Aug 5, 2017 – Director of U.S. Operations

Thanks for your response! I agree with your feedback regarding project lead time and our current bench situation. Over the years, particularly working as a field engineer, there were times in which I... More

"Welcome to the world of politics and drama"

Former Employee - Engineer II in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer II in Boston, MA

I worked at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to think of any others than benefits . Good 401k and life insurance . Have few good people at basic level .

Cons

No growth , works like auto body shot , people comes and leaves. No specific training. People come and contribute per their skills but nothing extraordinary ! Just s common staffing firm experience!

Advice to Management

Learn to do consulting business and develop employees to that focus ! Otherwise what's so special about Hyde ! Traditional format . Increase pay of ranking employees .

Aug 9, 2017 – Director, Global Recruitment

Having worked in the staffing industry, I agree that there is one area where we are similar to a staffing company: the work that we support varies project to project. Meaning that you may support a... More

"Growing Business"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time

Pros

The people. Hyde has an environment of constant improvement that leads to some refreshing flexibility and the opportunity to grow in your role. The company cares about placing you into a role that you will enjoy and generally appreciates your hard work.

Cons

As a small business, the structure of the company is still developing. This includes definition of roles, structure of projects, and employee expectations. This can be an exciting environment, but also leads to some teamwork challenges!

Advice to Management

While there are many opportunities for growth, the career paths available are not defined. If you want to keep your employees for years to come, this may be something to consider.

5. "Family Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boulder, CO

I worked at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Hyde E+C felt like being part of an extended family, but generally with less drama. Everyone I interacted with at the company was very nice. I was given plenty of autonomy on my projects, with minimal micro-management. Hyde had plenty of company functions which allowed for team-building with those who could attend.

Cons

Lots of travel was required in my case, but that with goes with the territory. There were times when I felt some lack of support on projects where I was not completely comfortable with the scope of the project. Paths to management were limited while I was there, however this was being addressed as I was leaving.

Advice to Management

Improve the number of paths to management. Ensure that support is available for those need it. Keep the family atmosphere, despite of the growing pains.

Apr 14, 2017 – Director, Global Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback! Maintaining the "family feel" is important to our culture as we grow.

With the creation of the Staff Manager role, we are hoping that this will provide some... More

"Only good for short-term opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING (Less than a year)

Pros

Hyde Engineering and Consulting has a good HR!

Cons

- Management only uses you as disposable employees for the short-term projects. NO PLAN FOR FUTURE CARRER FOR EACH INVIDUAL EMPLOYEE.
    - Regional/Senior manager’s lack of technical experience and management skills shows when they put together a team for each project.
    - Poor compensation, overworking work, and lay-offs are degrading the depth of experience. Junior engineers are being put in charge of commissioning projects with very little experience because nobody sticks around long enough especial talented engineers.
    - Health care benefits are less than average

Advice to Management

Think longer-term and focus on value for all employees, including customers. Focus on retaining talent and morale so that you can capitalize when markets rebound. Change the management staff with qualifying ones.

Nov 29, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is very unfortunate that this was your experience with Hyde. We are actively working to address many of the areas you have mentioned such as individual... More

"Company needs to focus on employees rather than expanding"

Current Employee - Consultant II in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Consultant II in Newark, NJ

I have been working at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company, good exposure different clients

Cons

no career/employee development, management/HR are useless

Advice to Management

Focus on employee development, and reply to their phone calls, emails or texts once in a while

Oct 3, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your candid feedback. It sounds like your current experience at Hyde leaves a lot to be desired. We have received similar feedback regarding employee development and are rolling out a... More

"Principal Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Small company with friendly environment.

Cons

- Senior Management are not qualify to held their positions (No direction, no management/technical experience, no supervision,unfair judgements )
    - Worse health insurance package.
    - Salary is not competitive.
    - It's not the company you should work for, If you are looking for a career.

Oct 20, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback.

I find it very disturbing that this is your experience and feedback about Hyde. The senior management of Hyde are long-tenured professionals with extensive industry... More

"Working at Hyde"

I have been working at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING full-time

Pros

The people I work with are awesome! I enjoy going to work and I feel like part of a family. We have fun team building and sporting events. The benefits are great Medical, PTO and the 401(k) match is incredible!

Cons

It not always easy to find answers to questions, templates and procedures but I hear assurances that those types of things are in progress and the people I have talked to are happy to try and help find what I need.

Advice to Management

I would like to know clear career paths for my skill set. What's next? What else is out there? Where am I going to be a year from now?

Aug 1, 2016 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so pleased that you enjoy your work at Hyde and working with your colleagues – we think they are pretty fantastic as well. Our true differentiator is the... More

"Nice folks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

I have been working at HYDE ENGINEERING + CONSULTING (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to learn skills

Cons

pay is not the best

Jun 22, 2016 – Manager, Global Recruitment

Thanks for your feedback! I encourage you to reach out to your manager and HR to discuss your concerns about pay, especially if you have been learning new skills in your 3 years of employment.