HZ Reviews

Updated Feb 11, 2020

2.9
HZ CEO Jerry Zuckerman (no image)
Jerry Zuckerman
Pros
  • "There are a lot of really nice people at HZ(in 6 reviews)

• "awesome extremely smart people who you will keep as friends after leaving the company(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Nothing negative to add about my work experience with HZ(in 20 reviews)

• "No work/life balance unless you have a good amount of seniority and live within 20 minutes of the office(in 9 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - SEO Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at HZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, fun culture, laid back work environment, experience in different verticals, dog-friendly, lots of smart people to work with and learn from

Cons

Sometimes long hours/overtime that spills into the weekend which can be expected at most agencies

HZ2020-02-11
  2. "Yikes."

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Designer

I worked at HZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

This agency is the worst environment I've ever worked. Simply, toxic. They do an amazing job of recruiting talent but man once you're in the door, it's a horrible experience. Major manipulations and undermining occurred

Cons

There are only cons with this place. Avoid at all costs.

HZ2020-01-09

"Not the agency it used to be..."

Current Employee - Current Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at HZ full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great colleagues and a fun atmosphere.

Cons

This used to be an amazing place to work. Since the company was bought by WPP (and merged with BCW), the quality of the incoming projects has suffered. Morale is low and many talented people have left or are shopping around for new jobs. The wife-and-husband owners are focused on making sure the company buyout goes smoothly, they hit their numbers, get the $ they hope for, and everyone knows it. This is a fine place for junior people to get some experience under their belt, but currently, no longer a place for serious creatives who want to build a portfolio.

HZ2019-09-04

HZ Response

September 9, 2019Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. We agree—our people are our biggest asset. While we know that change can be hard, we are committed as ever to improving things throughout this transition. We have always been focused on doing great work and driving HZ forward, and we welcome any additional feedback or suggestions you may have via semhart@hzdg.com. -Semhar

"Good company, questionable long-term growth"

Former Employee - Social Media Specialist in Rockville, MD

I worked at HZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great co-workers - Managers are accessible and willing to provide new opportunities if asked - Accounts come and go so the work is always changing - Very relaxed office environment - You're able to learn a lot if you're in the beginning of your career

Cons

- There is no true office culture as everything is dependent on what team you're on. Some teams let you work from home, others might not. - Company-wide changes are slow to implement despite the size of the agency - Promotion cycles are non-existent and if you don't push for your yearly review you can easily get left behind - There is not always a clear structure for career growth. Upper management tends to be in place for awhile and if your manager has taught you everything they know, there might not be another place to turn to - People under 30 tend to stay for 1-3 years due to the lack of growth opportunities and the inconvenient office location. - If you don't negotiate your salary when you're hired you will likely be under-compensated in the long run.

HZ2019-08-28

"A So-So Agency & So-So Job"

2.0

I worked at HZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

Summer Fridays, flexible hours, free lunches & breakfast sometimes

Cons

TERRIBLE benefits. Insurance is a joke - I'd rather take my chances than go to a doctor, or god forbid have to go to the hospital. You'll be in debt forever with the type of insurance you get at HZ. And they do not pay you enough for it to be ok. Unfair salary and raises are rare - reviews are not mandatory and rarely happen. Policies vary between teams and there is not set in stone rules so extremely unfair treatment is the norm. Agency does not have the tools it needs to succeed. Management lets clients treat the teams horribly and do nothing about. Management gives little to no training and there is a serious lack of transparency. Embarrassed by the work product that comes out of this agency and glad I left.

HZ2019-05-15
  6. "I love my job"

Current Employee - Developer in Rockville, MD

I have been working at HZ full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was really nervous my first few days of working here because I was a junior developer that didn't have much experience in the industry. My feelings of nervousness subsided once I met my team. My gosh, I really love our team. They came over to me individually to see if I needed any help and they kept telling me not to be afraid of asking them questions. They're also so easy going and I am personally so grateful to be apart of the team and also our dev team leader is someone that I really appreciate and look up to. I have and maintain a good work balance. There are nights, however, when I say longer, but that's not something that's forced upon me. I choose to stay later because I want to be proud of the work that I am putting out and giving to the clients. The cool perks are that we have different clubs in the office. People here work out together at the HZ bootcamps! They have keurig, coffee grind, coffee beans if you want it fresh and grind it yourself. I always make myself a pour over when I get stuck on a bug and need to take a step back haha. We also always have snacks people bring in. Also, a good amount of people here have been hired within the past 7 months and they're all really awesome. Maybe its just the person that I am, but I'm definitely proud to work here.

Cons

Can't think of any currently

HZ2019-05-02

"Bad"

1.0
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Rockville, MD

I worked at HZ full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool projects Some talented designers and developers Free shuttle from the metro Nice office space Relaxed environment Free Breakfast once a month Beer on tap Free sweatshirts and a lunch bag

Cons

Everyone is over worked. Impossible timelines and unrealistic budgets with no process. Very chaotic (they say they want to implement a process, it never happened). Cliquish environment filled with recent college graduates, and digital media has-beens create a true disconnect. The people who know best practices are silenced by a mob mentality. No employee handbook, no onboarding process. Some employees get away with making bad jokes about race, sexuality and politics because they are liked by the CCO. CCO is really out of touch with the digital media but grasps for control anyway. And the CCO's separate online business should be a conflict of interest but everyone is made to work on it. Very unprofessional CCO. 25% of the employees are friends or family of the CCO.

HZ2019-05-17
  8. "Wonderful Agency, Great Opportunities"

Former Employee - Assistant Content Marketing Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at HZ full-time for more than a year

Pros

This agency was willing to let you learn new skills and refine your current ones. They always wanted you to push yourself and take on bigger challenges. I felt that I left this agency with a wealth of newly-acquired knowledge about digital marketing.

Cons

Nothing negative to add about my work experience with HZ.

HZ2019-02-11

"This place has so much potential"

2.0

I worked at HZ full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- good client list - super creative and talented designers and web developers - most employees are friendly and easy to work with

Cons

- upper management is extremely out of touch with the rest of the company - project scopes are unrealistic with regard to timeline and budget, which creates a constant state of stress, sets the account and project management teams up to fail from the start. - across all departments it seems like the number one concern is creating "cool" work that will look good in HZ's portfolio, rather than what is best strategically for the client. - over worked and under-payed, I know that this is common in an agency but HZ takes the cake on this one. ZERO work/life balance - benefits are poor, especially considering how hard everyone is expected to work here. Maternity/Family Leave in particular.

HZ2018-10-30

"Definitely proud to work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at HZ full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I just read some of these reviews for the first time and I am appalled. This does not sound like the place I work at. HZ challenges me every day. Its a place you have to bring your 'A' game to in the morning and you can't go home without leaving everything on the table. Its filled with a ton of young and passionate people that are all looking to make their mark and do great things. It can be electric and exciting. You get to work on projects that you can be proud of, it can be portfolio-worthy from day one. Its empowering to be in a room when a junior level person throws out an idea that sticks and you see the whole team get behind it. Life-long relationships are built here, not like at a typical 9-5... you bond with people over the outrageous often laughable deadlines and late nights, but then we always get it done—together. People say they don't feel supported here, but I am an employee who in contrast feels incredibly supported. I provide transparency to my senior management and share frequent updates about concerns and challenges so they can support me when things go wrong - do these other people wait till the 11th hour? I get the support and guidance I need, I feel valued and that my voice is heard. Everyone who writes a review says the people that work here are pretty incredible, its definitely true. I think anyone can find their people at HZ.

Cons

Its clear that as of recent there have been some growing pains, other people's comments that HZ feels stuck between being a big or small company are accurate. However, I also think its understandable after years of a lot of growth/change, I believe it will likely resolve itself and settle like everything else does. There is a feeling of pressure and like you always need more resources to get the work at hand done. Eventually more people get hired when its needed, but it feels like it always is after you've been short staffed for longer than necessary.

HZ2018-08-10