Habitat for Humanity Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 23, 2017

Habitat for Humanity CEO and Director Jonathan T. M. Reckford
Jonathan T. M. Reckford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing company to work for great people (in 34 reviews)

• Healthy work-life balance encourage (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • That is the trade off working for a non-profit charity (in 38 reviews)

• You would expect better benefits at a nonprofit to compensate for the low pay (in 20 reviews)

1. "Non-profit - Non career"

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

Working for a non-profit can bring personal satisfaction in helping others.

Cons

Not meant to be a "career" position unless your a "top dog"

Advice to Management

Your employees are the strength of a well ran organization - value them and they will produce valuable work.

2. "Development Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, WV

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

Small and friendly staff, amazing mission and work, helps community members with affordable housing

Cons

Compensation low for the work load/type, Supervisor not regulated properly

3. "Truck"

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

Store management is great. Working in the store doing furniture repair also proves to be quite relaxing; plus meeting all sorts of people keeps things entertaining.

Cons

Executive management has lots of budget issues and as a driver, I am paid the same as a cashier.

Advice to Management

Added responsibly typically correlates with additional pay. I have never seen employee turnover at such a high rate; fix the pay scale and maybe you will keep employees.

4. "Great mission but muddy leadership"

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity has a great mission - building homes for low-income families. It motivates people to participate and feels good when you get results.

Cons

Like many non-profits, there is not enough bandwidth to get the job done. People are underpaid but accept the work because of the mission. Leadership provides little in the way of getting employees to work outside their cubicle, so too many silos are created.

Advice to Management

Get everyone interacting more actively and provide a clearer vision of how a unified organization can accomplish even greater things. Also, pay your staff what they are worth.

5. "A Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm paid decently and have great coworkers.

Cons

Rampant favoritism/nepotism throughout this organization.

Advice to Management

Invest in training managers/supervisors throughout the organization; especially the retail operations, which are often overlooked. Provide feedback about performance throughout the year, and not just at the yearly review.

6. "Great mission and values. Poor Leadership"

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

I loved everything about the mission of Habitat for Humanity. It is a great organization working to improve the lives of the local community. My co-workers were mostly great to work with and there was excellent camaraderie among most of the staff.

Cons

There seems to be a lot of confusion about power within the organization and lack of overall structure. Higher management struggled to maintain professional/personal boundaries and often would not enforce hierarchy and reassign roles when there was conflict rather than facilitating conversations and mediating conflict.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would give management would be to step up and manage people.

"Habitat for Humanity ReStore Manager"

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

Loved getting to see the families who received houses helping us around the store. Very rewarding job if you are able to stay on management's good side.

Cons

Revolving door. This company could benefit from having loyalty to employees. Expensive and poor benefit options. Poor change in recent operations management. Obvious favoritism.Very unprofessional atmosphere at times.

8. "Every Habitat Affiliate Is Different"

Current Employee - Salaried Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Salaried Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

People need to remember that each review from Habitat employees references different affiliates and each affiliate organization is very different because they are all independently managed by different EDs and a different board. With that being said the pros and cons can be different from affiliate to affiliate and culture could be different as well. I love working for Habitat, I don't love working for my boss. Seems that is true for many affiliates, because in most Habitat orgs, the ED is your HR person - making it easy for them to abuse power.
    Pros:
    - Most of the people who work at Habitat are awesome
    - It's very rewarding work and the families you meet are great
    - Great experience for younger employees because there's so much to do, you get to do more of a variety of things, which I don't think you would at many other workplaces

Cons

- No raises, everyone's pay is the same
    - There are benefits, but they aren't great, just standard. You would expect better benefits at a nonprofit to compensate for the low pay
    - Senior employees are paid the same as junior employees and it's not a great salary, wouldn't recommend to anyone with lot's of experience
    - ED (at my specific affiliate) is a jerk and he's lazy, he hires all these people to do things and just barks orders. He sits around and does nothing all day.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the ED. Invest in a board audit. The board's involvement is sub-par, especially in fundraising and development. The board is never around so they have no idea how bad the ED is and how badly he treats employees. Hire an HR person - there are so many HR issues! Give better benefits.

9. "Habitat for Humanity Dane County"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at Habitat for Humanity (More than a year)

Pros

A good mission and work with good intention. Attracts excellent volunteers and creates opportunities for those in need.

Cons

The growing bureaucratic structure means that those in charge are very removed from those they are meant to help. HhH has become more corporate and profit driven, perhaps at the expense of those they serve.

"Director of Real Estate Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This area of work is very rewarding to be able to see the end product (homes built) and the opportunity to meet the families that will own their own homes. Company provides a matching 403(b) retirement program. Company provides paid leave after 7 years of services. Company provides opportunity to build homes in other countries aka Global Village Trips (provided you pay your own way) and you will receive your salary while your away

Cons

Not very diverse or representative of the population they serve. Tends to be predominantly white - even at national conferences with other Habitat affiliates

Advice to Management

Management should spend more time recruiting and training staff that are more diverse and inclusive, more time with cultural diversity training throughout the organization, and the board of directors.