Habitat for Humanity Reviews | Glassdoor

Habitat for Humanity Reviews

Updated June 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Amazing company to work for great people (in 33 reviews)

• Healthy work-life balance encourage (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • non profit there's not room permanent employment (in 37 reviews)

• You would expect better benefits at a nonprofit to compensate for the low pay (in 20 reviews)

1. "Very friendly environment and nice to work with."

Former Employee - Helper in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Helper in Lafayette, LA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot about building things and carpentry which can be used later in life like it is for me.

Cons

Hot and hard work. But I mean other than that there wasn't too many cons to working here, very great place to work.

2. "Ex Volunteer"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Salem, OR

Pros

It's a good place to get job experience but don't try to get a job afterwards.

Cons

If you have any kind of felony don't try to get a job here, because their insurance won't hire you

Advice to Management

Quit lying to the people that want to get hired that volunteers at your store,

3. "Worked at the local affiliate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my coworkers, great benefits- days off, gym reimbursement, employer match retirement, even a happiness committee, some people really liked their jobs

Cons

Managers were all stressed out, plans always seemed to be disrupted and changed, horrible office configuration made it hard to concentrate

4. "Volunteer"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Spokane, WA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity (Less than a year)

Pros

Gain a lot of responsibilities.

Cons

Not a lot of training involved.

5. "Good starter job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great place to get your start in affordable housing!

Cons

Hard to move up. Multiple, sometimes conflicting organizational cultures.

"Dysfunctional SF affiliate needs to be liquidated and merged with a productive mission-driven affiliate nearby"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

The content of the work was interesting, personally fulfilling, and varied. A few really good people who have worked at this affiliate a long time understand the mission and are making a difference locally. I got to learn more about the community. Work/life balance was pretty good (no one rarely works more than 40 hours a week) and benefits are fairly robust for a nonprofit.

Cons

Working here was a complete 180 from my experience as an outsider (volunteer) and my previous impression of Habitat, especially in the office. Turnover is extremely high, and current senior management has no competency or experience in construction or real estate, which is kind of important for a homebuilder. Most employees (managers and non-managers) with talent or applicable experience turn over quickly because they get frustrated with the lack of common sense and bad decisions consistently made by management and quit, or they question that authority and bad decisions and get fired for hurting someone's ego. Since senior managers have no good experience in handling the business of Habitat, all decisions originate with board members, many who are very experienced and knowledgeable. Unfortunately those worthwhile board members are busy working and running their own businesses, so most time, decisions, and involvement fall to retired, non-working, or inexperienced board members that are busy-body limousine liberals and treat the affiliate like it's their own pet project.

In my time there, I saw millions of dollars squandered in bad real estate transactions and in growing a bloated office staff that contributed nothing to housing production, operations, or raising money. Despite the fact that we all worked in the same physical space, every small department was extremely siloed and there was absolutely no accountability in terms of an individual's role or work output. As long as you talked the talk, you wouldn't get fired for not doing your job. No one was really cognizant or interested in what other departments did, or how they needed to collaborate to get any work done. Departments that did most of the real work and heavy lifting, such as construction and real estate, were chronically understaffed and unappreciated. Much of the office staff would choose to "work from home" and come in to the office 2-3 times a week and be out of touch the rest of the time. Some managers would shirk and take off months at a time just because, claiming disability for supposed accidents or injuries at home.

Beyond that, it was culturally very weird too. Collectively we all knew something was dysfunctional, so managers would espouse in meetings how we could improve transparency, be more inclusive, and grow careers and reduce turnover. The more this was being said, the more things were getting opaque with major decisions being made by 1 or 2 board members behind closed doors that didn't even know employees' names. The new CEO who started last year liked to say she was instilling a "culture of accountability" but nothing really changed.

Day-to-day amongst the "little people," the office felt very much like a sorority house, replete with gossip, backstabbing, immature goofing off, and a general lack of professionalism. Most of the staff were young millennials and suffered from special snowflake syndrome. They were unable to communicate any worthy concerns or constructive criticism directly, and instead thought that going behind your superior or co-worker's back to complain was the appropriate avenue. Anyone mature enough to communicate directly with a snowflake would risk said snowflake going to a corner to cry and melt over hurt feelings. Human resource and operations managers would also abuse their power by trying to reprimand employees that weren't even under their supervision.

Advice to Management

To Management - Just leave and hand over the keys to leaders in another affiliate who actually understand the mission of Habitat to create homeownership for low income families. This affiliate has become bloated and corrupt in that all decisions are made to stroke the egos of a handful of wealthy donor board members, and not for what is in the best practical interest of the families Habitat is supposed to serve. In the words of a handful of longtime employees who understand the point of Habitat, "When did this affiliate become about ego and ambition instead of serving our families?" and "Why are we trying to be a French restaurant when we know how to make really great burgers and fries?"

Or do nothing - business practices have been wasteful and unsustainable for several years at least, and the affiliate now has to borrow money just to make payroll. I estimate that within a year the majority of the staff will need to be laid off to avoid complete insolvency. Current real estate projects are also millions over budget and unfunded, so it is questionable this affiliate would be able to remain a going concern and carry out its mission.

Despite all of these internal problems, I still believe in the mission and ability of Habitat overall, and hopefully time and restructuring can correct these mistakes. Probably not the first time an affiliate has bitten off more than it can chew.

7. "Outstanding Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to work in your own space yet still be a real piece of the team Twin Cities Habitat fir Humanity is the real deal.

Cons

Nothing that I would be bothered with. It is super easy going.

Advice to Management

Great moral support and incentives.

8. "A Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm paid decently and have great coworkers.

Cons

Rampant favoritism/nepotism throughout this organization.

Advice to Management

Invest in training managers/supervisors throughout the organization; especially the retail operations, which are often overlooked. Provide feedback about performance throughout the year, and not just at the yearly review.

9. "Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun culture, fun people, they care about the mission

Cons

Executive leadership is a mess. It is a revolving door with people leaving almost on a weekly basis. There's no control over who's doing what and no clear direction. One week it's this, the next week it's something else. It's too big and needs to have a smaller workforce.

Advice to Management

It grew way too fast and now it's starting to show. They're trying to do too many things at once. Focus on the mission again which is building affordable homes for people who want one. There's no need to add multiple things to the organization.

10. "staff member"

Former Employee - Staffing in Vienna, WV
    Former Employee - Staffing in Vienna, WV

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its a very rewarding and feel good job

Cons

At times the labor can be intensive

Advice to Management

Keep up their good work and keep building