Habitat for Humanity "affiliate" Reviews | Glassdoor

Habitat for Humanity Employee Reviews about "affiliate"

Updated Oct 8, 2019

3.8
Habitat for Humanity CEO and Director Jonathan T. M. Reckford
Jonathan T. M. Reckford
Pros
Cons
  • "Don’t employ many people so have to make sure the volunteers don’t injure themselves(in 53 reviews)

• "Any con that comes with working at a growing non-profit(in 52 reviews)

Reviews about "affiliate"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Building homes for working families in and around SF"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Entrepreneurial ethos (for a nonprofit) which gives plenty of scope for generating ideas and delivering impact in your areas of responsibility. Opportunity to work with Habitat families, volunteers and advocates who are incredibly generous with their time to help the organization. Construction! Three homebuilding projects starting pretty much at the same time and more in the near future. Not always tied to a... desk by any means. Working with an organization with a name *everyone* has heard of. Decent level of collaboration and opportunities to partner with other Habitat affiliates across California. Smart people with a nice mix of veterans and newbies.

Cons

Organization has made a step-change in working to enable it to build more homes, and at a faster pace, to help more families - this might not suit those more used to working at a slightly slower pace at an old school nonprofit. Genuinely the worst selection of snacks you’ll ever see (probably demonstrates money being spent on helping families rather than on staff but, still, terrible).

Habitat for Humanity2019-10-08

"Great affiliate support from HFHI"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Salisbury, MD

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Comprehensive affiliate operations manuals are available for free download through HFHI. Staff at HFHI are responsive when you reach out for help Access to gift in-kind resources can benefit local affiliate

Cons

With so many affiliates and turnover in Exec Directors, HFHI doesn't do a good job reaching out to those new leaders to guide them. New executive directors must be self-starters to find, read and implement best practices from HFHI. Mortgage lending rules that apply to banks, also apply to Habitat affiliates. Be prepared to learn and comply with lots of regulation.

Advice to Management

Be transparent with regulations and allow time for a learning curve. Set realistic expectations.

Habitat for Humanity2019-02-10

"Abusive culture, corruption & incompetence at the top"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highly passionate, experienced and talented peer colleagues; worthwhile mission

Cons

No other work environment has so compromised my faith in humanity. Corruption (unethical fundraising practices, cronyism, abusive leadership styles) in top leadership. Absolutely rock-bottom climate and culture, causing many employees serious mental health disturbances. No clear, equitable pathways to career development or advancement. Gross failure to recognize the immense talent of staff and retain it - more than... ten employees left or were senselessly fired over the course of one year. Severely inefficient business practices across multiple departments. This Habitat affiliate is operating far below its capacity to fulfill mission of assisting community members in need, despite passionate and highly talented employees in bottom half of organization hierarchy. Take your talent elsewhere, where it will be utilized properly and you will be respected.

Advice to Management

Recommendation to Habitat International, not Habitat Greater SF: please, please investigate this situation. Many current and former employees would see this inefficient, decaying affiliate absorbed into a more productive local affiliate like Habitat East Bay.

Habitat for Humanity2019-01-09
  4. "Great company, still a young organization in many ways"

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time

Pros

Great mission, easy to quantify deliverables.

Cons

Benefits for employees at the local level varies widely, depending on the local organizations finances. This fosters a better than/lesser than feeling among affiliates even though the reality at the corporate level maybe something altogether different.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your grass root organizations everyday.

Habitat for Humanity2018-11-26
  5. "Homeowner Services Manager"

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity full-time for less than a year

Pros

The mission and values are amazing, and you leave work most days knowing you helped someone else

Cons

If you don't like sitting at a desk for most of the day, this may not be for you Benefits are expensive because it is a small affiliate

Habitat for Humanity2018-04-11

"Great non-profit, mission-focused"

Former Employee - Program Manager - ReStore in Troy, OH

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The work you do makes a difference in the lives of others in need

Cons

The only downside I find is that smaller HFH affiliates pay lower (about 65-70% of industry) and that can lead to getting lower quality management and board of directors.

Habitat for Humanity2018-03-16
  7. "Unreliable pay"

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

Great way to help struggling families by providing affordable housing. Working with volunteers keeps things fresh and exciting.

Cons

Most of the staff at this affiliate does the bare minimum or less. With a couple dozen people on staff (only 2 of us on site), we should have been building more than 6 homes a year. Unfortunately things were so inefficient. The wrong people were being hired, those people were in no danger of being fired, people didn't know their duties or how to do them, etc. Hopefully some of the remaining young people on staff can... turn it around. A slow construction program meant that we site supervisors weren't getting enough contracts and, therefore, not enough pay.

Habitat for Humanity2018-01-29

"Sadly, much needed leadership, direction, and accountability. Otherwise, undeniably a fantastic mission."

Former Employee - Former Staff

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Organization overall has an incredible mission and purpose in communities all over the world, which are doing great things in tandem with families in need of safe, decent, and affordable housing. Love the hands up, not hands out approach. Organization is the perfect model for engaging volunteers from all walks of life, skilled or unskilled. I will always love Habitat. The work they do is good, meaningful, and... important. An amazing mission to work towards and at the same time call your ‘job’. Loved being a part of such positive community service and making an impact in the lives of others.

Cons

Lack of resources (people and monetary). No paid benefits. Local Affiliate upper management (So. NH) only cared about self-preservation and doing bigger and better without regard for the staff under them. Sink or swim was the attitude, cold-shoulder, door closed approach was often their management style, which clearly led to an absolute lack of guidance and communications. Most communication requests would go... ‘unnoticed’ or ‘not received’, leaving staff in a lurch in make unguided decisions/determinations. Requests for guidance/answers were a ‘bother’. The manager lacked fair and unbiased management/leadership skills. Office politics and favorites from all levels of management have been a problem at this Affiliate for years and until some major changes happen this will continue to be a problem for any person outside of that circle. Non profit work is tough with long hours put in. A small environment such as this where ‘team’ should be the attitude practiced was not the case, as much as you really try to be a part of the ‘team’ and do everything as you feel is prescribed. Everything seemed to gravitate towards competition and actions (or words) that waffled from one extreme to the next. Sadly, this has been my worst work experience with leadership and one that I felt where it should have been the best doing great work for an even greater purpose. No leader (or staff person) should ever feel proud of making staff feel this way, especially when all intentions and efforts are done in a heartfelt, doing-my-best manner for what the staff person felt was for the greater good of all. Alienation of others does not do good for anyone involved - period.

Advice to Management

A true leader with a sincere desire to offer guidance and to mentor staff below him/her will not only bring out the best in that person but will also bring out the best in the team for the overall good of the organization. Guidance requests should not be viewed as ‘know it, or learn it’. No one person is perfect. We all learn from each other every day, which is so great and important as it lends itself to a feeling... of being supported and then to a desire to do and be better at what we do. An overhaul of attitudes and staffing needs to be done to bring the Affiliate up to a standard of being and feeling like: a decent, safe and positive workplace. To know that other staff (and volunteers) felt many of the same sentiments above only justifies that the leadership mindset and actions (or lack of) needs to mirror what they expect to see. Respect and accountability goes a long way on both sides. When you do not feel supported or valued, why continue? Would you? Personally, a lack of being valued and respected played into my experience sadly, something I never expected working for HFH. As time went on, I did my work for the greater good of humanity, not so much for the people working around me. No one should feel this way. I only wanted to be a team-member helping to make a difference WITH those around me that shared the same mindset. Please if anything, reset the thinking, leadership, and make more drastic changes all the way around. It will be for the better and many will notice! I can only imagine the places a stronger and more positive organization can go! It’s too bad that this Affiliate has had to suffer for so many years under terrible leaders. Make positive and sound changes, for the greater good of all involved — especially the community!

Habitat for Humanity2018-01-03

"great nonprofit great vision"

I have been working at Habitat for Humanity

Pros

great mission. great people. great network great social impact outcome

Cons

low salary and benefits needs outside guidance lack of control over affiliates

Habitat for Humanity2017-11-27

"Satisfaction will depend on what you want"

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Habitat for Humanity full-time for more than a year

Pros

* You're helping to house less fortunate people. Doing the work feels meaningful. * Most of the people there are on the same page mission-wise. They're there to help further the mission of the company - housing the less fortunate.

Cons

* Pay isn't great, especially for people below a management position. I guess this shouldn't be a surprise for a non-profit. * Little opportunity for career advancement. There may be only a dozen people at one affiliate, and one person per job/department. It's unlikely that you'd get to move into the next position, because there's only one and it's filled indefinitely. * Workplace drama. At least at my... affiliate, there was a lot of politicking going on. Our upper management was having positions added and removed, and there was a lot of jostling from middle management for power. Information was withheld and projects were cancelled midway through with no explanation.

Advice to Management

Increase pay to retain better employees. There was a lot of disappointment and turnover and lower levels. Get your middle management under control. It should be a professional environment with consistent goals and chain of command, not a start-and-stop project environment where people try to corral resources for their department or favorite project.

Habitat for Humanity2017-10-23