Hachette Book Group Editor Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
David Young
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Oh, and there were tons of free books on "take shelves" around the office (in 33 reviews)

• Excellent company, very good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency from upper management (in 11 reviews)

• Lack of direction, lack of communication between departments, management not taking ownership of their bad ideas (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, fantastic vacation, good 401k

Cons

Comunication between departments leaves something to be desired

Advice to Management

Grow talent

2. "Great Publishing House"

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Love Summer Fridays
    Great company culture

Cons

Little growth potential
    Compensation for EAs and Assistant Editors is laughable for NYC living

"You know what rolls downhill..."

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues--attracts the best talent! Great benefits-- I'll stay a while to keep them. The management supports doing your work well and will never encourage cutting corners or being lazy-- in my case, that I can edit my heart out. Lovely books. Great place to be if you're upper management.

Cons

Managers are out of touch with what their employees do, so are surprised when employees are over-worked. Work-life balance is poor; 20% of my division works to or past 9pm at least once a week. Though raises happen every year, they're are minimal even with a promotion until you get an offer from another house; then you're worth quite a bit more to them. Senior management is paid very well, and are happy up there, so they have a hard time believing how poor morale is in the rest of the company. They don't take suggestions for improving things, and tend to place the blame back on the lower-level employees.

Advice to Management

This used to be a great company, but now morale is lower than I've seen it in all my years here and I see us losing talent, both employees and authors. Listen to employees, create an environment where they can speak to upper management freely without fear of reprisal; try to make a more egalitarian workplace that values the voices even from the bottom. If you work with your employees rather than separate yourselves from them, this could be a best-in-class company once again.

4. "A focused company with a few old fashioned traits"

Current Employee - Project Editor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Editor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time

Pros

- Passionate, caring, driven colleagues
    - Great office - facilities good, wow factor views from the roof terrace, nice cafe and lots of meeting room space
    - Pay review each July and bonuses at the end of the year help boost the coffers!

Cons

- Old fashioned at times - the same people don't tend to move from the same seats and an bit of an old boys network going on (Oxbridge types dominate!)
    - Tricky to get promoted
    - Not much cross working between departments - Hodder Education will have absolutely nothing to do with Orion, for example

Advice to Management

Recognise talent from within. If somebody is doing a good job, make sure you retain them by promoting them.