Hachette Book Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Michael Pietsch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Loved the people, the culture and the free books" (in 41 reviews)

• "Good benefits and lots of events that are interesting/exciting" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management power trips 24/7" (in 14 reviews)

• "Follow industry standards of low pay" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great Culture"

Former Employee - Royalty Intern in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Royalty Intern in Boulder, CO

I worked at Hachette Book Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people who are really passionate for their work

Cons

Software is hard to use at times and not very intuitive

2. "Learned a lot"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern I learned a lot about the industry. Everyone is very friendly and willing to talk to you about their experience in publishing.

Cons

I have heard from coworkers it is difficult to work your way up the ladder and so most people have to move to another house for a promotion.

Advice to Management

Find a way to reward loyalty, because some of the employees feel it goes unnoticed.

3. "Great Internship Opportunities"

Pros

You'll learn so much on the job

Cons

You won't always receive an explanation of how to do things, which can result in mistakes that could have been prevented.

"Great benefits"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, super fun coworkers (not the case for all departments, just mine!)

Cons

Upper levels not diverse, full of old people who make way too much money, preventing from hiring more and giving lower staff higher wages

Things move too slow for interdepartmental projects

Advice to Management

Hire some non-white old men in higher positions
    Hire some non-white people in all other positions

"don't work here."

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time

Pros

good books, except for the bizarre alt-right stuff we publish

Cons

Where to begin. They protect people who discriminate, despite all the diversity lip service. There was a time when all the leadership was men, but they are trying to fix that, usually not by promoting from within but by hiring 20somethings at a fraction of the cost. It's like someone told them, hey, women and minorities are just as good but cheaper! I've seen senior people leave to be replaced with entry-level staff, no doubt to save a buck. Forget about being promoted. I've seen people be promoted without a pay raise, seemingly at random, creating an environment of backstabbing and gossip, while the directors seem to enjoy this palace intrigue and encourage it. A person's work ethic doesn't matter either- people responsible for NYT bestsellers or award winners at best are ignored or at worst unceremoniously forced out.

Advice to Management

Try to raise a family in a 1-bedroom apartment with hundreds of dollars in student loans, crippling high rents, and embarrassingly low salaries. Also list the executive compensation in the financial reports. We know you are out-of-touch, but by how much?

6. "Good company, difficult to advance"

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good HR, supportive environment, great colleagues

Cons

Experience depends on team. My team has no investment in employees or room for advancement.

"Bleh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros here are that the office is nice, there’s 401k matching, and the occasional free pizza/fruit. Free books, occasional free breakfast. Sometimes get to meet authors which is cool. But, it’s really a catch 22 because most of these pros just lead to the company spending money on things, while the salaries remain low (almost to try and cover up that fact)

Cons

I worked here for almost 2 years and being here just got worse and worse. There is a lot of weird hierarchy, and a LOT of people with attitudes. Editors seem to be very high and mighty and the amount of people here who don’t say excuse me when they’re in your way or thank you when you hold the door for them is truly astonishing.

It is ridiculously cliquey and everyone is ALWAYS complaining. Seriously, I don’t think I ever interacted with one lower level employee who liked their job or felt they were compensated enough. When you look at the “CEO Inbox”(company suggestion inbox) it is just adults complaining like children about the most frivolous of things and it’s truly exhausting to know I work with these people. The only people who seem to like it here are higher ups who are able to have their opinions heard and get paid enough to justify even coming to work.

I really wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone who can do their job elsewhere (ie. finance, design) You are very underpaid when you could be getting better money in a more lucrative industry, and SERIOUSLY undervalued. Basically try having an idea there’s absolutely no point, it often goes unheard.
    I really wish people were kinder, more interested in their positions, and received better pay. The entire environment would be better.

Advice to Management

Stop rolling out initiatives that waste money just to make the company sound enticing. Things like third Thursday where there is beer/alcohol and free fruit sound nice, but I’d probably rather just make more money. It’s also nice to work in a beautiful office in midtown, but also would rather just make more money (can’t even imagine what rent is) Everyone seems annoyed and overworked, and maybe it’s because there just aren’t enough employees And the ones that are there are not compensated enough.

8. "Had it’s perks"

Former Employee - Contracts Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Contracts Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great health insurance
    Generous PTO

Cons

Standard publishing complaints, doable for some but tough for others

"Great overall!"

Former Employee - Publicist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Publicist in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the people, the culture and the free books. It was amazing being able to work with such talented authors, editors, artists, publicists, etc. on a daily basis. The office is new and modern and in a great location. Good benefits and lots of events that are interesting/exciting.

Cons

Really one of the only cons is the culture of complaining, mainly from employees who have been at the company for a long time. New employees are huge book lovers and excited to have their dream job. Older employees like to reminisce about the good old days and can't grasp that the industry has changed drastically in the past few years. The negativity drips down to the newer hires and can bring down morale. Also, there can be drastic pay ranges for the same role.

10. "Could do better"

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Summer Fridays, free books, consistent work, unlimited sick time. Sabbatical after 20 years.

Cons

Divided cultures- depending upon which office your in and what department your part of there can be a real issue with culture class and "better than you" attitudes are abound even if seniority is pretty equal.

False empowerment. Unless you have director or higher in your title, nothing you say matters. They say it does, but it really doesn't. In one ear and out the other most of the time. Some management has a serious issue with belittling attitudes around this.

The pay is publishing pay. You can try and negotiate high before you get in but if you were acquired in the merger a few years ago you are paid less and that won't change unless you move departments and negotiate well. Standard raise with bonus' that mostly get eaten by taxes.

Its publishing, the only upward movement is based on seniority and "proving" yourself if someone above you quits or retires. If you're lucky, transferring departments.

No incentives until that 20 year mark except slightly more vacation time.

Advice to Management

Listen. Actually empower people. Titles aren't a rank nor a judgement on the worth of the employee.
    Find actual incentives if you want to keep employees 20 years before that 20 year mark.