Hachette Book Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Hachette Book Group Reviews

Updated May 28, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Oh, and there were tons of free books on "take shelves" around the office (in 27 reviews)

• Good work life balance programs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of direction, lack of communication between departments, management not taking ownership of their bad ideas (in 5 reviews)

• Too many changes with not enough thought going into these changes by upper management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great Internship!"

Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very pleasant people to work with and free books! HR truly cares about their internship program and having their interns learn as much they can.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

"Rough Waters, Leaking Ship"

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time

Pros

Employees are personable and friendly. A large amount of vacation. The week between Christmas and New Years off. Summer Hours.

Cons

Hachette is going through major transitions currently (2013/2014). Leadership seems to be lacking during these rough times and the company doesn't seem to be able to keep/value talented employees any longer.

"top heavy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent products, smart and interesting colleagues, great benefits.

Cons

Seems like senior vice presidents with vague titles are being added every other week, but support staff for getting the work done is constantly being cut. More work than ever for fewer people. Sadistic managers, no help from HR with conflicts. The boss is always right. New offices will be open plan with no space to put our work-in-progress or - God forbid! - books. You are paid for a 35-hour week, but everyone I know regularly works much more than that.

Advice to Management

Respect mid-level employees. They are probably as committed to the company as you are, and they get the work done. Avoid top-down edicts, whether policy changes or criticism of employees - your people are smart, talented, dedicated - give them a chance to express themselves and listen to them!

5. "Great company in transition--new CEO, changing market"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic office culture (lots of outings, opportunities to know people in other departments, many opportunities to celebrate the books and authors we publish), great people (I love my coworkers!), the best books. I do appreciate that upper management is open to hearing feedback from all levels, even if change is slow to come. It does (and can) come with time. It can be difficult to advance within the company, but it's possible.

Cons

Very tight on headcount--leads to overworked staff, difficult work-life balance. Low salaries at mid and lower levels.

Advice to Management

Make sure your valued employees are properly compensated according to industry standards. If headcount needs to be tights, then in some cases, standards need to be lowered, and less oversight is necessary. Give your employees more freedom/power to do their jobs well.

6. "Great Publishing House"

Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Love Summer Fridays
    Great company culture

Cons

Little growth potential
    Compensation for EAs and Assistant Editors is laughable for NYC living

"Closed Minded Leaders with Zero Creativity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The house still attracts great authors and illustrators.... for now. The adult imprints continue to impress me.

Cons

The three people in charge of LBYR are uninspired, micro-managers. They take credit for everything the staff below them does -- especially in public announcements - to a shameless extent. They overwork the staff and show little regard for innovative ideas. There is no strategy behind the organization of the list. The marketing department is continuously watered down and overhauled because management won't stop meddling in it. Editors aren't allowed to have private correspondence with agents - and they are leaving at an alarming rate. The reprint department is in absolute shambles. The meetings in general are uptight and unpleasant. Only two opinions matter... ever.

Advice to Management

The CEO of the company needs to take a serious look at the top three running the children's group. He clearly doesn't care how junior staff is suffering. Maybe he will care when our numbers start suffering... which has already started happening. It's an awful shame.

8. "Great company with a relaxed atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed dress code, opportunity to learn and grow, great co-workers, and fun company functions when I was there. Overall, I think it was the best job I ever had

Cons

Pay was low and some senior managers / directors were a nightmare to work with. Sometimes it took for ever to get a raise. And there was some high turnover in some departments, but for the most part, people were in it for the long haul.

"You know what rolls downhill..."

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues--attracts the best talent! Great benefits-- I'll stay a while to keep them. The management supports doing your work well and will never encourage cutting corners or being lazy-- in my case, that I can edit my heart out. Lovely books. Great place to be if you're upper management.

Cons

Managers are out of touch with what their employees do, so are surprised when employees are over-worked. Work-life balance is poor; 20% of my division works to or past 9pm at least once a week. Though raises happen every year, they're are minimal even with a promotion until you get an offer from another house; then you're worth quite a bit more to them. Senior management is paid very well, and are happy up there, so they have a hard time believing how poor morale is in the rest of the company. They don't take suggestions for improving things, and tend to place the blame back on the lower-level employees.

Advice to Management

This used to be a great company, but now morale is lower than I've seen it in all my years here and I see us losing talent, both employees and authors. Listen to employees, create an environment where they can speak to upper management freely without fear of reprisal; try to make a more egalitarian workplace that values the voices even from the bottom. If you work with your employees rather than separate yourselves from them, this could be a best-in-class company once again.

10. "Relaxed corporate culture, dedicated staff."

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time

Pros

Good work life balance programs. Friendly colleagues. Good product.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities to management

11. "Overall, a good company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hachette Book Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, interesting and stimulating projects/work, fun atmosphere and many company events, good perks (free books!) and benefits including 401k matching, charitable donation matching, a decent amount of vacation time, and a good health plan

Cons

Some departments have good managers and lots of growth opportunities, but some unlucky departments have the opposite. Wages are on the low end, even for publishing. Work can be either very slow or very stressful—there is no in-between.

Advice to Management

Don't be so comfortable with the status quo—take seriously the concerns of your employees, not just the ones in senior management.