HackerAgency Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HackerAgency President/CEO Spyro Kourtis
Spyro Kourtis

Pros
  • Free snacks are always a good thing (in 15 reviews)

• I've met some great people here and worked on some really awesome projects (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to achieve for many (in 14 reviews)

• Long hours, bad pay, loud environment, bad pay, bad at overtime pay (in 13 reviews)

1. "It's very good company for people"

Former Employee - Gate Keeper in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Gate Keeper in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at HackerAgency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay good benefits and

Cons

No cons it's a good place

Advice to Management

Be nice

""Turn around" complete…."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

A good legacy. Good direct marketing know how, but too much change has hurt the company. The company is now shrinking and losing clients and talent.

Cons

A fish rots from the head.

Advice to Management

A bully with glasses, lipstick, and a dress is still a bully.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really enjoyed most of the people that I was able to interact with on a day-to-day basis. The individual teams were tight knit and worked well together.

Cons

Too much emphasis put on utilization and not enough on improvements on current processes, which lead to unhappy clients, and ultimately lost business.

"And you think there's trouble in the middle east ?"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of any. I guess, you're earning a paycheck...

Cons

Where do I start?
    Leadership does not exist and undermines or throws coworkers under the bus as much as possible. Stress at extreme levels is common, almost on a daily basis. Yelling, fear and intimidation are standard "management" techniques.
    HR is non-existent and functions only as a department, takes both sides and consequently nothing gets done.

Advice to Management

IPG, if you truly care about people, please eliminate the management team at HG. They are driving the company into the ground.

HackerAgency Response

May 15, 2017 – VP Talent

I think your negative outlook will need to be balanced with the following. Over the last 2 years we have 90% of new members within the executive team, 3 of them are women and we will continue to push ... More

"Talent and Experience at Hacker has been gutted......."

I worked at HackerAgency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the people were solid and took great pride in their work.

Cons

Management has a shotgun blast approach with them going in all different directions. The company is plummeting and actual talent is being hemorrhaged by the day. Management just had the "oh no, do something" approach. They made no actual effort to improve the culture, they just did enough to look like they are going thru the motions and trying to fix the problem. Now they are sitting on mostly a staff of inexperienced millennials while all the actual experience and talent is making waves at competing competing.

Advice to Management

Come up with an actual plan, and get all of management on the same page. It is almost to the point where IPG/FCB should step in and scrap all of the leadership and start over.

"Past employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very talented teams to work with.

Cons

Leadership doesn't share information with teams.

"Going in the correct direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic group of people, throughout the agency

Cons

Lack of diverse accounts puts everyone's jobs at risk

Advice to Management

Be willing to take on work that previously was seen as outside of your core offering

"From a creative perspective"

Current Employee - Art Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Art Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People you work with daily, most people are very friendly, even upper management
    Location of the office, views from your desk (if you have a window seat)
    Holidays and pre-holiday early releases
    Benefits (health insurance options are pretty extensive and are very inclusive)
    Free drinks and snacks available
    Free dinner if you know you'll be working late (while working late is a Con, this is definitely a Pro)

Cons

WFH policy makes working with some team members difficult
    Work is pretty siloed for some groups
    Clients can be a drag on creative ideas
    Some positions have pretty heavy workloads and sometimes can cause late work nights

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward on your culture initiatives. Maybe invest more in employee training when you see potential in new or younger people to encourage them to stay rather than finding new opportunities elsewhere. Promotions and hiring from within is also a big retention booster. Personally, I'd like a bit more defined career path not only for me, but others in the creative department. Creative can be really hindered by glass ceilings when people in upper-level positions never vacate positions which happens often in our industry.

"Be Smart, Add Value, Get Rewarded"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Spoiler alert: I am not an angry and disgruntled employee with an axe to grind! I’m not here to tip the scales or anything, but with that said I do feel like sharing my personal experience is a bit overdue.

I have had some really amazing opportunities here to grow, develop, and pursue work that I am actually interested in and even passionate about (gasp!). By having initiative, awareness of what needs to happen, and some degree of digital savvy I've really been rewarded and given the chance to help with or lead projects that someone with my experience level probably wouldn't be given at a different and/or larger agency. If you're smart, scrappy, and willing to challenge the status-quo in order to improve things, then you can be really successful at Hacker. I've met some great people here and worked on some really awesome projects. Especially over the past year, there has been a lot of focus and resources put into making Hacker a better place to work. There's obviously no 'magic potion' when it comes to changing culture or improving an entire company, but contrary to a lot of reviews here, most people are really committed to making this a decent-- heck, even enjoyable place to spend 40 hours of your week.

Cons

This 'culture' thing seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy to me. If you think it sucks here, and that's the attitude you bring to work, then yeah, it's probably gonna suck. Do I think everything here is perfect? No, of course not, but the undying mantra of complaining and commiserating from some can be really toxic. Funnily, I've also heard, 'well that's just the way it's always been' from some of the same mouths and that sentence doesn't get anyone far either, whether it's work, your life, or the world in general. But anyway, I'll step off my soapbox now...

But honestly no, not everything has been all sunshine and butterflies from my perspective either. Things can move really fast, and if you take pride in your work (like I do), you may end up having to pick up the slack or come up with solutions to make things happen and get campaigns launched in time. But I feel like that could be any company? Also, we're in the midst of a continual transition to being largely digital and there are still aspects and teams within the agency that may not be fully there.

Things can also move slow here. Whether it's finalizing a promotion, or implementing a new process, if you aren't willing to take initiative and put fire under some bums when needed, then you may end up frustrated. Administrative support can be extremely bureaucratic at times as well.

Advice to Management

Communicate future plans and strategic focus(es) moving forward with clarity and transparency. People like to feel involved. Understand *why* there are departmental divides and take tangible steps to remedy the 'us against them' mentality so we can just focus on doing good work. REALLY commit to bringing in good talent and ensure egos stay down in the lobby where they belong.

"What a dump"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good first agency job. If you can make it here, everywhere else you go will seem like a cake walk.

Cons

Everything not mentioned in the Pros.

Advice to Management

Wake up.