HackerAgency Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
HackerAgency President/CEO Spyro Kourtis
Spyro Kourtis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Nice office, good downtown location, free snacks, great people to work with" (in 18 reviews)

• "I've met some great people here and worked on some really awesome projects" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be a struggle, since long hours are sometimes required" (in 14 reviews)

• "The account team is to be treated like royalty, the creative team like drones, and operations like cogs in a wheel" (in 9 reviews)

"Great co-workers; fast-paced work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

There are so many incredible, talented people who work here - truly the best part of this job. The work is definitely challenging and things move at a rapid speed, but I think that's expected for an agency. While some weeks are 50+ hours, you're encouraged to leave on time when you can (which does happen fairly often!).

I've felt very supported by my team and had many opportunities for learning and growth here. It's definitely not perfect, but there are so many positive things about working here.

Also, Hacker has an awesome location, good pay + benefits, and opportunities for involvement with philanthropy, fun events, etc.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a struggle, since long hours are sometimes required.

2. "Good for a year"

Former Employee - Production Artist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people and pay is ok

Cons

The account managers lose their clients to quick, which means less income and layoffs

Advice to Management

Keep accounts people happy

3. "Love it here"

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

New office location
    Opportunities to challenge yourself and do great work
    Great coworkers
    Energy!!!

Cons

New, smaller team means stepping outside of your box.

4. "Not Bad"

I worked at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Extended creative way past direct mail.

Cons

Had an old school mentality about butts in seats visibilty.

"Floundering Agency Trying to Reinvent Itself"

I worked at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Hacker cutting its overlord ties to become independent might have been a step in the right direction. Leadership claimed to give remaining employees (after massive layoffs) more of a voice.

Cons

Aforementioned massive layoffs. Loss of major clients. Complete lack of direction. Drama.

Apr 10, 2018 – Vice President

We have a vision we have a direction, we have clients (old and new) - and we wish you the best of luck in your future.

"Be aware of the realities ahead..."

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Some people are great (others not so much)
    Location is cool (but not permanent)
    Snacks and beverages provided

Cons

Recent changes resulting in reduced staff. Workloads are becoming unmanageable. Be prepared to approach this like any start-up. You'll experience some late nights, work over weekends and holiday closures. :(

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate how many people are on staff and what work is in-house vs. what's coming.

Jan 19, 2018 – Vice President

Thank you for your feedback - and I'm sorry to see this - it is important to us that our team knows we are open to input. With that said, please raise your hand for help either in the daily meeting... More

"Terrible work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at HackerAgency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hacker gives you the ability to be yourself. When you work there you have a lot of free time to do what you want and you can come in when you feel like it. It isn’t a place where you feel like you have to work if you really don’t want to. They let you do what you what.

Cons

- You are yelled at if you do anything wrong.
    - If you don’t have exactly what is needed to get the job done, you are thrown under a bus.
    - Nobody cares where you are or what you are doing as long as you have something when your deadline hits then it’s alright
    - You don’t have the ability to provide helpful input
    - It feels like upper management has their own agenda
    - Everything is done at the last minute
    - Upper management can be extremely rude and unprofessional

The list goes on.

Advice to Management

Please treat whoever is still left there better than you treated me.

I was lied to on many occasions and when I brought it to HR nothing was done about. HR knew what was going on.

Also, I hated how people spoke about each other. How can you provide good service and produce quality work if everyone talks bad about each other.

Everyone spoke with foul language and called people explicit names constantly. That isn’t something I should have to say but HR was doing it while I was there so I understood why it was ok.

Jan 29, 2018 – Vice President

While I don’t recognize the environment you describe here – at all - I want to apologize that you did not have a positive experience at HackerAgency. We wish you the very best in your future.

"New Agency"

I have been working at HackerAgency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice office, good downtown location, free snacks, great people to work with. A good company working towards making it great!

Cons

Already been listed in earlier reviews. Its old news for an old company. And some of it was more “fake news” then the real thing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great new style of inclusiveness with employees on agency decisions - way better then previously. The CEO and CFO are a dynamic force leading the agency into the next phase. Their vision will make this agency a productive, fun, great place to work again!

Dec 27, 2017 – CFO

Thank you! We are so pleased and gratified to see your comments - times are changing and we are looking forward to a productive, exciting new year.

"May the odds..."

I worked at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

The view from the building on fourth avenue is really quite nice. You can’t see the Space Needle but you do get a view of the ferries. Also they have free snacks, which is great, because they’re free. In its heyday, Hacker was a fast-moving, lead driving, direct response machine. But, like hammer pants and slap bracelets, direct mail went out of fashion. Clients caught on to the racket they were running on print production, and they began dropping like flies a couple years ago.

Cons

Hacker fosters a culture of aggression. Leadership yells in meetings. Employees cry in the stairwell. The account team is to be treated like royalty, the creative team like drones, and operations like cogs in a wheel.

The compensation structure is at least fair now. In the past, employees were paid a quarterly bonus, which varied according to an obscure formula pinned on company profitibility. Imagine sitting in a room with your coworkers, eating cafeteria food, and turning to see a count-up ticker that would let you know how much money you were to live on for the next three months. If it made it to 100%, you could pay your mortgage. If it didn’t, you had to keep a straight face until you left the room. Quarter quells have been replaced with a more straightforward salary.

A focus on direct mail (and eventually, email), has resulted in a total lack of innovation from the top down. Hacker keeps pushing list driven tactics, and clients aren’t interested.

Dec 27, 2017 – CFO

Apologies for the delay in responding. We are sorry that working at Hacker Agency wasn't a good fit for you. While what you describe doesn't reflect our reality, that doesn't mean it is easy to read... More

"Awful."

I worked at HackerAgency full-time

Pros

Free snacks, views, some coworkers

Cons

Everything else not mentioned above

Advice to Management

This is the worst place I’ve worked in my entire career. Top leadership who have been around for decades have outdated views and no respect for the people who actually do the work. What people lack in skill and smarts they make up for with pure nastiness. I’ve seen company officers yelling and throwing things in each other’s offices. Everyone is too overworked to address bad behavior and so it becomes the norm. Turnover is extremely high, and it says a lot that the department with the highest turnover is HR, which now consists of one extremely overworked person. The system is broken.

The company is extremely top-heavy for its size and appallingly bad at management and planning. In the last year, they hired a female president because they realized that it looked bad that most of the officers were white men, then pushed her out. Hired a bunch of directors and paid them six figures, but they wouldn’t buy a new microwave to replace one that broke last winter.

The company knows about its terrible Glassdoor reputation and has employees write fake reviews to boost their rating. I developed health problems from the stress of working here, which is pretty common from what I hear. Lots of late nights, no wellness perks, no budget for employee groups/gatherings, four rounds of layoffs in the last two years, the surprise change of the employee handbook so they no longer have to pay out PTO when you leave… I could go on. Major client losses and failure to win new business have death knocking at Hacker’s door.

Someone needs to pull the plug on this mess.

Dec 27, 2017 – CFO

Apologies for the delay in responding. We are sorry that Hacker Agency did not meet your expectations as a place to work. While your description does not reflect the reality at our agency, we will... More