Hagerty Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
McKeel Hagerty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Very low pay, especially when the cost of living is so high in Traverse City (in 3 reviews)

• This lack of focusing on each other has created this culture of over dramatic office politics and back stabbing in the middle management (in 4 reviews)

"Fantastic beyond belief"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management, great work space, interesting people, new technologies, fast paced and rewarding.

Cons

Not enough vacation time. Life is short and the vacation time is something Hagerty could be progressive about.

Advice to Management

Give more days off to recharge and enjoy both Traverse City and Golden Colorado.

Sep 7, 2017 – Project Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Glassdoor. We are thrilled that you enjoy working at Hagerty! You are right, Hagerty definitely has a great management team, which is one of the... More

"Not the same"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good team mates, was a very fun start to learning about cars and insurance, company outings.

Cons

Used to be a fun place to work, seems to have gone in a downward spiral within the last year. The summer months are just out of control. Not nearly enough hired staff to keep up with volume so you are very likely to burn out. Taking a 3 minute break to stand up to talk to a coworker will cause management to stare at you and eventually come scold you while they stand in groups and chat away throughout the day leaving us on the front lines and no managers available online to help. Overall negative environment, most every agent you speak with is downright fed up with how the company has taken such a sudden turn. I do not see many of the very experienced agents staying much longer which will leave Hagery with a lot of less trained agents to do all the busy work. No one wants to go through another summer like this when it NEVER was like this. Managers really need to step up their game...

Advice to Management

Get down in the grind and show us you're working hard during these long months. Treat people with respect and understand we all need a breather here and there. Give them more training so they actually know how to handle files outside of LSA2 training

3. "Best Company EVER!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse, MI

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome culture! Hagerty really cares about their employees. They are very transparent and progressive. We have great training and development opportunities. Community involvement is valued. The wellness programs and the gym are great! Beyond the "perks" (which are too many to list), this is a very well run and innovative business.

Cons

I truly cannot think of a downside to working at Hagerty. I love coming to work every day. My co-workers and boss are great.

Aug 23, 2017 – Project Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Glassdoor. First off, thank you for dedicating 5 years to Hagerty! We are so lucky to have employees like you working for us. Hopefully we can... More

4. "A Place of Opportunity and Growth"

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have had the chance to work at Hagerty for more than 2 years now and I am left feeling grateful day in and day out. People here spend time thinking beyond the bottom line and genuinely care about the well being of those around them. Additionally I am proud to call this my place of work and thankful for the chance to work with such excellent teams. The visionary nature and never settle mentality keep my hunger for growth satisfied. There are plentiful opportunities to grow and learn whether it be technical knowledge around cars, or communication courses that build skill sets relevant to life as a whole not just a specific role. This company is lead by a group of people who continue to seek the best out of each day and chase dreams not monetary goals. Excited for the bright future ahead.

Cons

Managing rapid growth and change can present issues here and there, however these would be challenges faced by any company in a similar growth curve.

Advice to Management

Continue striving for excellence and sharing the vision. Growth and development of those working here will continue to lead to growth and development for the business. Continue the transparency that has been so crucial to these teams thus far.

Aug 23, 2017 – Project Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Glassdoor. We are thrilled that you enjoy working at Hagerty, and we love having you on our team! As you mentioned, our rapid growth has not... More

"Hagerty Service Center"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is the top tier of the collector insurance market, and we are never complacent with where we are and always forward thinking. The company shares the same passion for collector vehicles as our clients.
    The company also truly cares for the community and offers plenty of volunteer opportunities for employees (even offering employees pay to volunteer.)
    Promotions are merit based rather than just purely tenure based. In my time here, I have been promoted over someone more tenured but less qualified, and also had someone less tenured, but more qualified, selected over me for a position that I applied for.
    There is excellent transparency at the senior management and executive level. I plan to grow my career here as long as I am able.

Cons

During the busy season, particularly in the service center, the high call volume can lead to stress and burnout. However, this never comes on as a surprise.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent.
    Look for more ways to give the team some relief during the busiest parts of the season.

Aug 16, 2017 – Project Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on what it is like to work at Hagerty.

The amazing thing about Hagerty employees is that they not only share the collector passion with our... More

6. "Growth Company"

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast growth company that invest in its people and provides opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

Change is constant and many times the implications of the change on employees is not always anticipated. They will however take feedback and often take action on employee suggestions.

"Does not Value Diversity at all"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable employer for now in a small city with good schools.

Cons

Management wants a troop of cookie-cutter employees. Diversity of any type is not valued. As disrupters keep disrupting especially in high tech companies competing with you, the old school ways of viewing your work force will be your downfall.

Advice to Management

Put real commitment behind your creating a company that stands for something. Question your executive leadership about how their values are impacting decisions. Diversity is not just a word. There are many ways to discriminate against high quality people in your work force.

"PAY! We want our piece of the pie!"

Current Employee - Licensed Sales Agent in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Licensed Sales Agent in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great overall place to work! Especially for a car guy. Great Team and Fun in the Winter time!

Cons

Horrible pay structure and honestly the benefit package is the same everywhere. WE could care less about the extras we want good pay. Colorado employees get paid and average of $3 more per hour as an LSA 1 to start, in Michigan of $14. And our cost of living inst high! View of the bay for half the PAY, Doesn't make sense

Advice to Management

Pay us more

Aug 14, 2017 – Project Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Glassdoor. It’s great to hear that you enjoy working at Hagerty, and feel you’re part of a great team!

In northern Michigan it is often said that... More

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Manager in Traverse City, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Traverse City, MI

I worked at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people working there, with a real client focus, great product and they care about the hobby

Cons

They are not building leaders as advertised, they just replace them, poor middle management, atmosphere of 'watch your back', very much a who you have lunch with , not what you know.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk, if you are going to build leaders, do it.

Aug 14, 2017 – Project Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Glassdoor. Also, thank you for recognizing our excellent customer service and dedication to the hobby. Neither would be possible without our amazing... More

"Amazing place to work but culture seems to suffer as it grows."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Innovative, difficult, and meaningful work. Great people and a great place to work. Amazing opportunity if you want to live in Northern Michigan. Awesome little perks like cool cars always around and Friday snacks. I don't agree with the work / life balance most people have complained about. Yeah sometimes, especially in the summer, we all have to work harder but that's not an issue. That's just the nature of the business. McKeel is amazing leader who can inspire employees and is truly visionary. If the culture can survive the exponential growth this will be one of the truly great companies.

Cons

The core values start with, "Take care of each other first." That's becoming less and less true. It has gotten so far away from understanding that this company got its success from the employees as much as the upper management. Though you need a balance of both the workers and the leaders it feels that now days they just focus on spending tons of money on fancy executives and less on taking care of those in the trenches. Then instead of maintaining the culture it now all about the numbers over the people. Numbers are important but you'll get the numbers if you take care of the people. Is crushing your employees really worth an extra percent of growth when you already grow at an extreme rate? This lack of focusing on each other has created this culture of over dramatic office politics and back stabbing in the middle management.

All that said, you'll be hard pressed to find a better place to work.

Advice to Management

Some years ago we read a book called "Leaders Eat Last". I suggest they read it again... and again... and again. Also, start getting pay up to at least industry standards. The culture has to be maintained to the very top. Not just mandated, actually practiced. If it’s not then it will never extend down to the employees.

Aug 14, 2017 – Project Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Glassdoor. We are thrilled that you enjoy working here, and appreciate you understanding the craziness of this business during the summer season... More