Hagerty Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

McKeel Hagerty

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Hagerty has received the great places to work award for the last few years. It's true, it is a great place to work. There's a great work/life balance, realistic expectations by management, and constant growth. Good benefits and great culture. Located in Traverse City, a great area to live.

Cons

Being in northern Michigan you're not going to get a southern Michigan salary, but you'll be living in a nice area.

"Sales Agent"

Current Employee - Lsa in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Lsa in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a decent place to work. Gym on site, classes offered on site. Nice location, good parking, decent facilities. Decent building.

Cons

Poor management structure. Too many bosses, no one knows what's going on at all times. Terrible pay, minimal benefits, unclear advancement strategy, overly political, this is not a great place to work, we are actually coached on how to complete the Great Place To Work survey.

Advice to Management

Pay us a reasonable salary!! Increase the 401k contribution. Sales agents are under a tremendous amount of stress, the busy season is absolutely miserable, and again pay us a reasonable starting salary, with reasonable raises. Anything under $20 an hour is obscene for the amount of revenue we bring in.

3. "Intern"

Pros

Really awesome company culture. Hagerty really goes out of their way to make their employees, no matter what status, feel included and pampered. In the summer, they have tons of activities for people to come together (Ice Cream Fridays, picnics!). The city of Traverse is really really cool and a fun place to live, people are always going for drinks after work.

Cons

Specifically, my department was going through a lot of changes and we got moved a few times, which is just part of how much Hagerty is growing.

"Avoid Claims & Auto Sales, Other Jobs May Be Fine"

Pros

Amazing benefits, fun events, cool cars

Cons

Poor management, stagnation without chances of advancement, not very competitive pay.

Advice to Management

I used to really love my job at Hagerty until they made a management change in my department and the new manager started treating employees like they were expendable and closed the door to communication and ideas that didn't align with theirs. I disagreed with the way they started treating their temporary employees, and some policy decisions no longer aligned with my moral compass.

I ended up getting sniped by another company with a higher starting pay than what I was making at Hagerty after 2 years, so I jumped ship. 2/3rds of my entire team quit in the same month, yet they never believed us when we were trying to explain the toxic environment that was forming. So if I could implore anything to management, is to actually listen to their employees. Don't just take management's side, be willing to do honest conflict resolution.

6. "This is a constantly evolving company that really listens to what the clients want and move to meet those demands."

Current Employee - Collector Insurance Underwriter in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Collector Insurance Underwriter in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good office environment, up and coming company with growth opportunities in the early stages, thorough training and licensing programs, great benefits, transparent management approach, quarterly roll outs keep the entire company up to date and on the same page. They aren't afraid to try new things.

Cons

Wages don't seem quite as competitive as they should be for the rapid growth, management can seem unfocused and overwhelmed at times, not enough flexibility in scheduling.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees more within each roll.

"Great Company Culture"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Great company culture, focused on keeping employees happy and also educating them to connect with clients. Beautiful area to live/work in.

Cons

Pay is more competitive in geographical area than it is in the industry as a whole.

"Great company, not the best pay"

Pros

Amazing workplace culture and great company vision. They are very transparent in departmental goals and make sure all employees are aware of the long term vision.

Cons

Pay was less than sub par for the amount of revenue LSAs manage but upward mobility is definitely there. I was promoted less than 6 months in, but even after that I left Hagerty for another insurance job and more than doubled my salary :(

Advice to Management

See what you can do to keep good, young talent on. Consider revisiting the overal salary structure company wide. This was 3 years ago so maybe things have changed....

9. "Licensed Sales Agent"

Pros

Great place to work. Management truly cares about you and they work with you.

Cons

This is an entry level position so naturally the pay is low.

"Worst Employer"

I worked at Hagerty Insurance full-time

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits Available

Cons

Absolutely tethered to headsets, constantly begged to do over time, over worked and all phone calls listened to and audited.

11. "Great Company and awesome job!!"

Current Employee - Regional Account Executive in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Regional Account Executive in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Hagerty Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy and success are both key in the role!

Cons

None at all com to mind!