KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

3.4
Hair Cuttery President and CEO Eric Bakken
Eric Bakken

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "There’s free education and great benefits as well.(in 31 reviews)
  • "Your voice matters and you meet great people.(in 22 reviews)
  • "Free education, guests love hearing you’re out learning new trends to keep them happy.(in 20 reviews)
  • "Flexible hours because i have been here since 2008.(in 17 reviews)
Cons
  • "4 longtine stylists quit within 3 months because of poor management.(in 41 reviews)
  • "The pay is low and its impossible to survive.(in 33 reviews)
  • "And they higher there goals to make commission all the time or u only get 45%(in 24 reviews)
  • "Asst manager talks to the stylist like crap & down grades them, been brought up to upper management and nothing gets done.(in 15 reviews)
  • "People who do the least side work (clean towels, answer phones, greet customers) make more money, then those who are pitching in and doing work.(in 14 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Hair Cuttery and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

Career Growth & Advancement Opportunities

Aug 11, 2022 - District Leader in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have typically bounced from job to job every couple of years until I found a career in the industry I am passionate about! I found my home at Hair Cuttery Family of Brands! I started in the salon as a Salon Leader and have grown with the new company after the former unfortunately went bankrupt. This company CARES!! They care about work life balance! They care about their stylists who are the HEART of the company by listening to the feedback that is given during a quarterly survey, mind you not everything that is in said feedback is realistic, but they listen and do what they can. If you have the drive, motivation, ambition, and business sense they will build, grow and support you along your career journey. Working full time allows you to have benifits you wouldn't normally have in most private salons; 401K, Health, Dental, Vision insurance, PAID time off, the ability to EARN MORE, flexible work schedules.

Cons

Of course we are still recovering from the pandemic, as are most businesses staffing is our weakest link currently. Our salons are open 7 days a week, which could be an issue for some.

Hair Cuttery Response

Thank you for this amazing review! We're glad to hear that you are having a great experience with HCFB!! We’ll be sure to share your feedback with the team.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Stylist

Sep 20, 2022 - Stylist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great atmosphere to work at

Cons

Pay is low but you do make commission.

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to build

Sep 26, 2022 - Senior Designer in South Bend, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to build your clientele. Competitive wages

Cons

Poor insurance incentives. Poor PTO accrual

4. 3.0

Good place

Sep 28, 2022 - Front Desk Receptionist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to move up fast

Cons

To much gossip Going aroumd

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great

Sep 12, 2022 - Hairstylist in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everything was absolutely great really

Cons

Absolutely nothing loved it so much

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic and hostile environment

Sep 19, 2022 - Barber
    Business Outlook

Pros

Its a job you make money

Cons

Worked to the max and make very little

7. 3.0

hair cuttery salon experience

Feb 27, 2022 - Hair Stylist
    Business Outlook

Pros

LOTS of continuing education available...good for new stylists/graduates for this reason. you can work a lot if you can work fast and want shifts. ability to make commission on upsales and general sales with customers. tips are yours, like all salons. you can work with the tools of your choice (which is also a negative because that means you have to own and bring them to have that option). this isn't a high end salon, so clients are a little less demanding on perfectionism.

Cons

too fast paced if you aren't fast or experienced...bad for new stylists/graduates for this reason. they don't do much to make sure you have plenty of time to do your best with your clients...due to the desire for high volume turnover. the high volume turnover necessary to make a lot of money. usually too busy for other stylists or managers to be able to help new/younger stylists when they feel overwhelmed or not fully equipped. must bring your own tools to work with. some of the pricing seems silly to me...like charging for longer hair...not just more, but more depending on how much longer (meaning it can go up and up if your hair is crazy long).

Hair Cuttery Response

Thank you for your review. We are now under new management and are working to build a strong company with our associates at the center. Feedback like yours helps us in our efforts to do just that - thank you again for your transparency and honest feedback.

8. 3.0

Stressful

Sep 16, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Salon management skills were worth it

Cons

Not paid enough, and employees weren’t nice

9. 1.0
    Former Employee

The bait & switch chain hair salon

Apr 8, 2022 - Salon Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Not many pros but walk in clients are almost guaranteed

Cons

Mis managed higher up leadership Consistently paid incorrectly Lots of promises to fix falling apart salons but no follow through. This company will promise you the world. They often offer sign on bonuses due to their high turn over which should be a red flag. The new ownership after pandemic gave numerous promises of stability , honesty and follow through. Week after week company wide the stylists checks are incorrect, not paid on time due to “forgetting about holidays”, and incorrect tip pay out. The salons are falling apart and In some locations externally hazardous but the staff is told to work through it. No water ? Wash your guest out with bottled water , no heat/ac layer up and wrk through it. Not only that but higher up corporate DLs regionals ect put so much pressure on salon leaders to hit sales goals even if short staffed. Last min schedule changes to stylists are encouraged there is no quality of life . Are you wondering well gosh there are a lot of 5 star reviews. When Seth the new owner took over shortly after the shut down every salon was given an incentive to write a glass door review. We had to show our positive “fake” review to get entered in a contest. So take it from and employee that invested way to much time. Work at a private salon where they actually care about their stylists and look at them as people not machines.

1 person found this review helpful

Hair Cuttery Response

We appreciate your honest feedback. We are a new company working to create the Best Job Ever for all of our Associates. We value your feedback and will be sure to pass this along to our internal teams for consideration.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great flexibility

Aug 6, 2022 - Hair Stylist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Growth opportunities and Decent pay

Cons

Management can break it or make it

Hair Cuttery Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are excited to hear you are having a great experience with us. We are working to establish our own unique culture as evidenced by the changes we’ve made recently and we’re so glad that our associates see and feel the difference.Thanks again for sharing your feedback as we work to build the #BestJobEver!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 721 Reviews

Hair Cuttery Reviews FAQs

Hair Cuttery has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 739 reviews left anonymously by employees. 69% of employees would recommend working at Hair Cuttery to a friend and 53% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -8% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Hair Cuttery employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Hair Cuttery. This rating has decreased by -14% over the last 12 months.

69% of Hair Cuttery employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Hair Cuttery 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Hair Cuttery to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with Hair Cuttery Job Seekers