Hair Cuttery Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Walk in clients and new clients everyday (in 26 reviews)

• Great opportunity for FREE education (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • downsides to working as a receptionist is the company is not willing to pay more that minimum wage yet still push working full time (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management does not follow the same values that they preach (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great positive place to get experience as a new stylist!"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of walk-ins, flexible schedule, great atmosphere/vibe to work in - at least at my salon and the ones I've visited in my area :) They help you set goals so you feel like your hard work is rewarded and is meaningful. They train their leadership to encourage employees and lead them to success. There are lots of career opportunities beyond working behind the chair. I think that spices it up a bit :) Like any job, you get out of it what you put into it. If you bring a negative grouchy-butt attitude into work with you everyday, you probably won't like your job or anyone else who works there. If you come in with a positive attitude, eager to learn, willing to work as part of a team, and want to make your clients look and feel awesome - you're gonna be requested and become super successful!

Cons

I'm new so I haven't hit any bumps in the road so far. But I'm also the kind of person who looks at challenges as opportunities to learn and improve myself so, I probably won't be looking for the cons. If I had to list one, it would be the pay/commission rate. But that is really up to me to improve by getting new guests in my chair (i.e. business cards to everyone I meet), improving my skills, making each guest feel amazing so they will request me every time, and making sure they have to right products when they leave so they can keep up their look at home.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! My salon leader is awesome! She's encouraging and supportive and always asks if there is anything she can do to help me or improve my work experience. Thank you also for offering so many business and technical classes at no cost to employees!! I've signed up for several and I'm looking forward to learning all I can and making my salon shine!

Jun 20, 2017 – Director of Associate Relations

WOW! Thank you so much for your heartfelt review! Your wonderful can-do attitude is going to take you far in life! Everyday we strive to live up to the Pros that you listed - we are who we are as... More

"The Pros Outweigh the Cons!"

Current Employee - Tier III Master Salon Professional in Lionville, PA
    Current Employee - Tier III Master Salon Professional in Lionville, PA

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Walk ins make it easy to build a clientele and once you become a Master Salon Professional, guests are able to make appointments with you anytime!
    There is health insurance and dental offered for full time stylists. I don't think the medical is all that great, but I get the basic dental insurance and it's good enough for me.
    You can sign up for as many free classes as you'd like, although 2 classes per year are a requirement. I don't really find that I learn too much from the classes, actually, but they do offer trends classes for new and popular cuts and colors.
    The quarterly bonuses are a major plus, but after you've achieved the third level bonus, there's a big jump in the amount of revenue you'd have to produce to get to the fourth level, which makes it seem really out of reach.
    I work with a great group of women who are all awesome at what they do and I can rely on them! We try our best to work as a team. Yes, there are the occasional conflicts and drama, but we always seem to work through it by talking to one another and to our leaders.

Cons

I never know from week to week if I will be making 47% commission or 50% because I sometimes find it extremely hard to sell a minimum of $120 in retail despite showing guests how the product or shampoo works on them and walking them to the retail shelves.
    Some days there is little to no time at all to eat, even during a 10 hour shift, if I am tightly booked or we are extremely busy (like during the holidays).
    Just like in any retail job, there is a wide array of people who come into the salon and there are many who are crazy, picky, cheap, or who have bad breath or scalp conditions. They may also be running late for appointments or just not show up at all without calling, but that goes for all salons.
    They used to match our 401K contributions by 5%, but they just recently stopped this month, although they say they may go back to doing that again in the future.
    Be prepared to do a lot of cleaning and towel folding throughout your shift, even when it's super busy or you are very tired after a long day.
    We are expected to answer the phone, make appointments, and greet every person who walks in, all while consulting and engaging with the guests in our chairs and performing "WOW" service. It can seem tedious on busy days.

Advice to Management

Allow higher tier Masters to get a base rate of 50% commission and possibly 52% if they sell the required amount of retail.
    Don't keep us open on July 4th or even consider keeping the salon open on anymore holidays (like New Year's Day) than it currently is. I know stylists who have threatened to leave because of having to work so many holidays.

"Good company poor pay"

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Orlando, FL

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management
    Ok hours
    Good
    Benefits
    Chance to advance

Cons

Poor pay
    Had to stay until midnight or one in the morning for late color walk in customer. More than a couple of times.

Advice to Management

Last color client two hours before close policy. Stylists need to sleep too.

Oct 9, 2017 – Director of Associate Relations

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience in working with us. We sincerely strive to offer a pay structure that allows for you to earn maximum commission - the hours you work and the... More

4. "Stylist"

I worked at Hair Cuttery part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, continued educational opportunities.

Cons

Didn't have any cons for this job.

Oct 9, 2017 – Director of Associate Relations

So glad that you enjoyed your time with us - if you are ever looking to come back, you know where to find us!

All the best to you!

"How Management Treats Employees"

Former Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist in Rehoboth Beach, DE
    Former Employee - Licensed Cosmetologist in Rehoboth Beach, DE

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my clients. The tips were great. Hours were reasonable.

Cons

Management had their PETS. You could NOT trust private information shared with Management to stay between you and them. Company rules only applied to SOME stylist but NOT to all. Management only cares about earning money themselves, not whether other stylist make money.

Advice to Management

When you have an employee like you had that NEVER complained about staying past their shift, covering other people's shift, and giving 110% to the companies Cients, you should really stop and think long and hard, how you treat them. Not everyone is willing to go above and beyond. I was that employee. I see where my dedication to the company got me..!!!

"Great for first time stylists"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many locations
    Flexible hours
    Lots of room for growth
    Great for starting out
    Student to work program
    Good starting commission

Cons

Mostly walk ins
    Quantity over quality equals success
    Less than great reputation
    Required to work one weekend day
    Regular slow seasons

Advice to Management

Every salon needs a receptionist

7. "Hair stylist"

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time

Pros

Education, nice people, move up in company

Cons

Bad customers, not enough pay

8. "Master stylist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homewood, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Homewood, IL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Holidays the salon is closed

Cons

Nothing is consistent in the company
    Salon leaders make their own rules
    Company doesn't back stylist

Hi Master Stylist,

I'm bummed that you have been experiencing inconsistency in your salon...we would love to better understand your concerns - please reach out to me at the home office to discuss.... More

9. "Salon professional"

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time

Pros

You get w-2 for taxes

Cons

They make it hard for you to make a decent commission

Oct 9, 2017 – Director of Associate Relations

Hi there, sorry to see that you are no longer with us. Should you decide to return, please work closely with your Salon Leader to help you grow your services so that you can make the commission that... More

"Greed"

Current Employee - Hairstylist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Hairstylist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of walk Ins, good product lines. If you work hard you will make money.

Cons

I have worked for the company for 10 years now. A lot has changed some good but the bad out-ways the good. It has gotten almost cult like with brain washing always pushing to next level, making us refer to ourselves and co workers as salon professionals not stylist or hair stylist lets try not to reinvent the wheel the money spent on these "new" ideas would better be spent in keeping the salons updated. I am in the process of looking for a new job. I miss the old Hair Cuttery and will be very sad to leave.

Oct 9, 2017 – Director of Associate Relations

Thanks for being a part of the Hair Cuttery family for 10 years! We are definitely going through an exciting time of change. While we wish that everyone would view the changes from our vantage... More