Hair Cuttery Reviews | Glassdoor

Hair Cuttery CEO Dennis Ratner
Dennis Ratner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • downsides to working as a receptionist is the company is not willing to pay more that minimum wage yet still push working full time (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management does not follow the same values that they preach (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great positive place to get experience as a new stylist!"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of walk-ins, flexible schedule, great atmosphere/vibe to work in - at least at my salon and the ones I've visited in my area :) They help you set goals so you feel like your hard work is rewarded and is meaningful. They train their leadership to encourage employees and lead them to success. There are lots of career opportunities beyond working behind the chair. I think that spices it up a bit :) Like any job, you get out of it what you put into it. If you bring a negative grouchy-butt attitude into work with you everyday, you probably won't like your job or anyone else who works there. If you come in with a positive attitude, eager to learn, willing to work as part of a team, and want to make your clients look and feel awesome - you're gonna be requested and become super successful!

Cons

I'm new so I haven't hit any bumps in the road so far. But I'm also the kind of person who looks at challenges as opportunities to learn and improve myself so, I probably won't be looking for the cons. If I had to list one, it would be the pay/commission rate. But that is really up to me to improve by getting new guests in my chair (i.e. business cards to everyone I meet), improving my skills, making each guest feel amazing so they will request me every time, and making sure they have to right products when they leave so they can keep up their look at home.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! My salon leader is awesome! She's encouraging and supportive and always asks if there is anything she can do to help me or improve my work experience. Thank you also for offering so many business and technical classes at no cost to employees!! I've signed up for several and I'm looking forward to learning all I can and making my salon shine!

Hair Cuttery Response

Jun 20, 2017 – Director of Associate Relations

WOW! Thank you so much for your heartfelt review! Your wonderful can-do attitude is going to take you far in life! Everyday we strive to live up to the Pros that you listed - we are who we are as... More

2. "Great for first time stylists"

Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many locations
    Flexible hours
    Lots of room for growth
    Great for starting out
    Student to work program
    Good starting commission

Cons

Mostly walk ins
    Quantity over quality equals success
    Less than great reputation
    Required to work one weekend day
    Regular slow seasons

Advice to Management

Every salon needs a receptionist

3. "Hair stylist"

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time

Pros

Education, nice people, move up in company

Cons

Bad customers, not enough pay

"Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You do what you love and make great money at the same time!! Free education, great leadership/ support systems!! Flexible hrs, If you are new to this amazing industry, this is the company for you!! Great way to build skills up to be a a great stylist!! If you have been in the industry this is still a great company to be with to keep all your guests happy! Hair Cuttery truly cares for the stylist and only wants the best for them!!

Cons

You do work hard and you do work some long hrs but isn't that what you want to do? You are the only one in control of your paycheck!

Advice to Management

We need to work a little harder to get that "dirt" off of our name!! We have amazing stylist and management, but we still run into the oh you work at Hair Cuttery? I hate that!! I'm proud that I work for a company that offers a price that most can afford!! I have clients that own companies to single mothers!!

"If you love making the company money and being poor, come here!"

Current Employee - Stylist
    Current Employee - Stylist

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free classes and
    Nice co-workers

Cons

You get paid minimum wage, but they give you "incentives" to make you more money. It doesn't work. You will make more at McDonalds.

Advice to Management

This whole company needs a overhaul.

6. "Meh...they talk a big game"

Former Employee - Stylist in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Stylist in Exton, PA

I worked at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy to get in. Good for recent grads

Cons

Overstaffed Was promised $10/hr and even brought it up to my manager who assured me that seeing minimum wage on my profile page was just they way they do it but I WOULD get $10. Never happened. Applied for one store. Was made to work at two 'temporarily'. Once the store I made more money at hired another employee was forced to work at only the other. Totally bs, can't get ahold of anyone on help lines.

"Assistant salon leader"

Current Employee - Assistant Salon Leader in Doylestown, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Salon Leader in Doylestown, PA

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working at cross keys plaza hair cuttery in Doylestown for over 10 years and I love it!! Great place to work ! We are very busy and are looking for stylists now . Great opportunity !! Quarterly bonus ,retail bonus,up to 50 % commission ,free education from the best of the best ! Our new addition into our education platform is Rodney Cutler out of NYC hair to the stars 👍

Cons

Could use a salon make over ,the salon is nice but definitely needs a more modern look💜

Advice to Management

Salon make over

8. "Salon Professional"

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time

Pros

401k matches .33 to the dollar. Medical, dental and vision insurance. Productivity bonuses every 3 months. And the company is always growing! One of the best companies I have ever worked for! Also won a trip to Cancun!

Cons

There is absolutely nothing I dislike about this company!

"Salon leader"

Current Employee - Salon Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Salon Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pros of working for this company is that they encourage the salon professional to build a clientele. They offer free education that is basic. I believe that there should be a way to create advance training after you have attended the classes. I know it is hard with 10000 employees but we need to see the trends faster. Another pro is that they offer basic health insurance, dental, vision and 401k. They are basic. It was nice when it was free but I understand the need to put a cost with the plan. I feel like another pro is that the company is not afraid of evolving. It maybe behind in its time but it is getting there. The salon touch system has been implemented in salons for so long an it took forever to receive. We have been promised an appointment book online and that will be amazing when we actually get it.

Cons

As a con I believe that some of the companies values have been compromised in this ever evolving industry. I understand the need for evolving and change and I am more than ok with all of that, but when our expectations as a leadership team are not lived up to by corporate it is very hard to get behind (example' the lack of notice for holiday hours)

I believe that in the last year I have never seen so many retractions or corrections via email. A lot of the decisions or emails that have some thru feel rushed. Almost like someone is not reading or having someone double check them.

Advice to Management

I believe in this company but I believe that our voice needs to be heard again. VP of Operations stated one thing in a private email to top performers and then it was retracted with less notice than is required by SL. It has been very hard to stay positive when coaching to these changes when it is my girls lives that it effects. We expect so much out of them and they deserve the best and their voice matters. They are so smart and have so many goals. If we help them it helps the company. if you put your people first they will put everything into the salon. Again I understand the need for change and I am down to go where we are going. But I need to know that there is a respect of the expectations that you have for us and that you will live off of those same expectations and plus some. It scares me that the company is operating in what is perceived as 7 to 8 weeks ahead. When they should be in my opinion looking much further ahead. If we have to think 13 weeks. We need more than that for the company

10. "Easy to move up if that's your goal and commission is great"

Current Employee - Assistant
    Current Employee - Assistant

I have been working at Hair Cuttery full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You pick what you make

Cons

It's not super fancy for the price increase when we do increase like they could go to a fancy salon to pay the prices

Advice to Management

Management is awesome