KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Hair Cuttery

Engaged Employer

Hair Cuttery

Add a Review

Hair Cuttery Employee Reviews about "stylist"

Updated Jan 6, 2021

Found 47 of over 625 reviews

3.8
Hair Cuttery CEO Seth Gittlitz
Seth Gittlitz
Pros
  • "Build clientele and free education(in 48 reviews)

• "All incentives are there to help motivate you to strengthen yourself as a stylist(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The company relaly does not care about the stylists nd many mangers are completly ridiculous lots of drama(in 77 reviews)

• "Base pay is minimum wage, most of my co workers didn't have benefits(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Hair Cuttery and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "stylist"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Surprisingly better than before!

Dec 5, 2020 - Recruiter
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had been working at Ratner company Hair Cuttery for 10yrs until COVID-19 and bankruptcy shut its down. Then the company was purchased and I was invited to join. I was skeptical but decided to go for it. I’m so happy I did! The new owners embraced Dennis and Ann’s vision of truly valuing the stylists.

Cons

COVID has limited us but that can’t last forever

Employer Brand and Recruiting Marketing Leader

Thank you for your review.

2. 3.0
      Former Employee

Stylist

Jan 6, 2021 - Part Time in Willow Grove, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great for starting stylists, plenty of walk ins

Cons

Poor management, low commission rate

Employer Brand and Recruiting Marketing Leader

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

3. 2.0
      Current Employee

Pay and work life

Oct 29, 2020 - Stylist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good tips, constant clients, good place to grown as a new stylist

Cons

Always short staff, don’t have products I need to service clients, can take up to 55% of your money, are forced to work holidays

Employer Brand and Recruiting Marketing Leader

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

WAS a great company

Aug 27, 2020 - District Leader in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

career ladder available of you work hard and want it. Started as a part time stylist 10 yrs later held every title in the salon up to District Leader, loved every step of my journey.

Cons

Locked into the decisions made by people who aren't hairdressers and don't understand the process.

Employer Brand and Recruiting Marketing Leader

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Fastest and best way to build yourself!

Jul 18, 2019 - Stylist in South Chicago Heights, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

You get to book appointments and also have walk-ins that need service if you're open. You get an app to keep track of all your appointments as well as how much product you sold, how much in services you have reached throughout the week. You get to set goals and always have room to move up. Either position or your pay. Commission based, you always get a percentage of everything you do and everything you sell. Cash or card tips you get right then and there. Taking home cash everyday that you work is always helpful! The company is well known and very encouraging to keep you knowledgeable about styles, trends, they offee classes to help you further your education. They help you build and retain your following guests. Wide range of product brands, ideal pricing for services. You receive employee discounts and prizes as you accomplish goals, daily weekly and if you bring your numbers high enough, you receive bonuses! All incentives are there to help motivate you to strengthen yourself as a stylist. You build yourself as you still work with your team, together, to become a salon that is high recommended by all guests.

Cons

It can take time to build a clientele yet you are given tools to help you do so. Can take time to learn the new color line and how to effeicntly delivery desired end results using the new line. Yes it does seem like a con to get an hourly pay, yet you still get paid if you are not making commission, downfall is if you can not reach that mark of commission for a certain time, they will let you go when they see you do not strive to expand yourself within the company.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Scared about working for the company

Mar 9, 2019 - Cosmetologist in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

I wanted to transition from waxing, into being a behind the chair stylist however; I have only seen about five positive reviews out of the thousands I have read about working for the company! I am a Paul Mitchell Alumni and wanted to go ahead and try Hair Cuttery as a starting salon, but I’m not so sure any more.

Cons

I can’t find anything but negative things about working for the company, even when I tried to look up reviews on YouTube, everything was negative. I have a family to support, and I don’t mind working, but working super hard for little to no commission by the time the coupons are applied I just can’t see myself taking such a huge pay cut.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Wake up & smell the coffee Management

Mar 6, 2019 - Master Stylist in Valley Forge, PA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Easy to grow clientele if you're a good Stylist

Cons

Not managed properly , micro managing rules & regulations. Has turned into a joke . Similar to Kindergarten

5 people found this review helpful

Director of Associate Relations

Hi there, wow! - so disappointed that you've been with us for more than ten years but think so poorly of the company! We're hopeful that over the past ten+ years that you found some enjoyment in working with us and that we positively contributed to your income. Rules and regulations often get a bad rap, but just like any large organization they are put in place to make sure that we have a fair and consistent process for addressing concerns across all of our salons and locations. Without common structure, we would be subject to each salon operating differently. Think about it, when you order a burger from say McDonalds, you know that whatever state you order that burger from that the taste is going to be the same...there is consistency independent of location - that is what our processes offer...consistency for our Salon Professionals and our Guests! We offer UNLIMITED commission - that is not our being greedy but our offering our SPs the opportunity to earn the max possible. We also made very thoughtful decisions to invest in technology and color lines that will help make for a better guest experience. I'm sad that you are not happy with us - should you decide to stay, we hope that you will be a part of the solution but should you decide to leave, we wish you the best!

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Stylist

Aug 7, 2018 - Hair Stylist
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can do well at Hair Cuttery if you hustle also when clients call for you whoever answered the phone does the scheduling. I have had several clients come up to me and say” They said you weren’t in today and scheduled me with “let’s say Mary” “are you available? And than the other stylist just shampooed her..it is a very uncomfortable situation to be in on all sides of the party.. Some clients gave me a name and it was one of the managers. It’s hard to build a decent business when this happens and also never ever puts a color in with me books herself with all the guests that call to make appointment with anybody in the morning..overlooks herself at that ..clients will say “I don’t want to waitbfor her I’ll take anybody and she “ the manager says sweetheart your in with me ..they have no choice.lits ridiculous. Other than that I love it there..

Cons

Coupons sent via email to guests come out of our total...the prices are a great deal already for the quality of work I feel that I do..

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Salon leader

Oct 6, 2018 - Salon Leader
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great for just starting out or relocating Plenty of opportunity to build a clientele Great vision and dental benefits Free Continuing education Stylist app to track ur goals and paycheck Leadership is trained to help the stylists succeed

Cons

The medical benefits are supplementary preventive care benefits. If you or your family gets sick, breaks a bone, or has a baby... coverage is very little from an actually major medical plan. Salon leader pay is base pay plus 20-25% commission.. larger salons the leader gets paid a little more salary and less commission. Smaller salons less base with more commission.. which kinda evens itself out... $11.50-$15 an hour it seems If your understaffed, your work life balance can suffer. Felt like on call 24/7 Dls seemed very overworked

2 people found this review helpful

Director of Associate Relations

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Ditto to all of the pros!!! We truly do review our medical offerings each year - it is our desire to offer more and at some point we are hopeful that we will be able to. From the outside looking in, we totally get that it appears that we are not offering much but what goes into offering benefits is more complex than it appears on the surface and this is not the forum to discuss the ins and outs of that...but please know that we hear you and we are doing what we can to make improvements. We also hear you about adjusting the hours based on the demographics and locations - we have made some strides in this area but we also have to be mindful of and adhere to shopping center and mall requirements...often we must follow the operating hours of the mall or center vs. being able to adjust our hours outside of the overarching operating hours. Thanks again - we wish you continued success!

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company values, bad follow-through. 2 and 1/2 stars.

Nov 24, 2017 - Hair Stylist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good first stylist job to learn behind the chair. Comp plans seem to be improving. The learning on demand is a fantastic idea!

Cons

No support for stylists discriminated by customers. Ive been called derogatory names by guests that management has ignored and had the guests serviced. Open on Holidays for the convenience of guests. Some salons in desperate need of remodel. Unclear as to what's a "redo" situation or what's a "smile back" situation, usually decided on a personal basis. Each salon makes their own rules. Schedule changes at the 11th hour with no word from management. No guarantee of lunch breaks. Passive-agressive techniques from store management to keep us from contacting upper-management. Management feeding into gossip and creating a seriously unprofessional environment. As with many salon environments SL has their group of favorites and everybody else is left out to dry. Skipped over for management consideration despite years of upper-managerial experience for SL's work-buddies. Despite my grievances I believe this company has the right outlook, but needs work on the follow-through. Keep in mind, us stylists are the most important part of the salon, and there is a lot of competition to choose from.

5 people found this review helpful

Director of Associate Relations

It breaks my heart to hear that you were called derogatory names by guest and that you feel that it was not addressed...while we respect that everyone is not going to hold the same world views, we do not support discrimination in any form or fashion. I totally get that working oh holidays is not at the top of everyone's wish list but when one works in a retail environment it is a given that operating hours are going to be driven by the convenience of guests :-) Yes, redo and smile backs are decided on an individual basis because each situation is different and there are a number of factors that must be taken into consideration - at the end of the day we want to ensure that every guest has a wonderful experience and leaves feeling and looking great - sometimes we knock it out of the park the first time around but on rare occasions we have to give it a second try - that is when a redo or smile-back situation comes into play. I love your advice to management and agree on "let's grow our leaders and set a precedent for our people" we are striving to do this each and everyday! There are a number of leadership and non-leadership trainings that are being developed and rolled out. I hope that you stay with us and be a part of the journey!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 47 Reviews