Half Price Books Reviews in Frisco, TX | Glassdoor

Sharon Anderson Wright
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I knew other people who were working a couple of jobs to make ends meet, but working 50 to 60 hours a week for low pay is really no way to live (in 22 reviews)

• brand new employees make more than minimum wage, but long term employees make far less than comparable positions outside the company (in 11 reviews)

1. "Fun place to work! Great benefits."

Former Employee - Bookseller in Frisco, TX

Pros

Great people, good training, awesome discount. Good pay for retail.

Cons

The management was disorganized at times.

2. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Frisco, TX

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at the Frisco store. The staff are like family, in all the best senses of that word. Management is laid back but still expect everyone to do their best to maintain the store's reputation for excellent customer service, great value and wide selection of books, music and movies. I liked being able to more or less work at my own pace to keep my sections full and organized. There's no micromanagement, but if you need help, all you have to do is ask.

The company as a whole is a great place to work. Excellent insurance benefits, great employee discount, paid vacation, paid holidays. Also, the management track is fairly short -- bookseller to shift leader to assistant manager to store manager. Once the managers know you want to move up, they are very supportive and encouraging.

Cons

At $10/hr, the starting pay is more than a lot of other retail jobs, but at 35 hours a week (full-time schedule), it is more supplemental than substantial in terms of covering living expenses.

Advice to Management

Before changing policies on things like pricing or how much to pay for used merchandise, talk to the booksellers who know what sells, what doesn't and at what price. Individual stores have particular clientele who have different attitudes. What works great in one store may fail in another.

"Poor Ethics"

Former Employee - Book Seller I in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Book Seller I in Frisco, TX

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well, they did pay me. Thanks.

They do not actually recycle books, they claim to recycle but a large portion end up in the dumpsters behind the stores.

Cons

Wrongfully fired. Several people were fired in a short period of time by DM and store manager. Told by management that if the records being sold to us have a black person on the cover who is "dressed funky" than to buy the album because someone will buy it. Also asked to follow around black people to make sure they do not steal. Most employees refused. Some eagerly followed them around.

Advice to Management

Good luck.