Half Price Books Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Half Price Books President and CEO Sharon Anderson Wright
Sharon Anderson Wright

Pros
  • Great benefits (like the employee discount), not to mention the company itself is very employee driven (in 29 reviews)

• Great company with great benefits (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, but it's a bookstore so (in 12 reviews)

• Paid sick time reduced to 9 days per year from 12 (in 9 reviews)

1. "Fun place to be."

Current Employee - Customer Service in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Half Price Books full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best job I've ever had.

Cons

Nothing at all to complain about!

2. "Full Time Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were good - vacation and time off were challenging

Cons

Direct Manager was very micro manager and was at times rude and did not treat everyone the same

Advice to Management

Get to know more about what goes on at the customer service and store locations

3. "Hit or miss depending on location and management"

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely laid back environment as far as retail goes. Coworkers and customers were mostly cool, management was flexible about working around my school schedule. The job is easy but varied enough to keep it interesting.

Cons

The quality of the work environment varies widely by location. Some managers are helpful and positive; some are an utter nightmare. Some shift leaders are great; some sit in the office on their phones all night. The company is not as profitable as it could be due mostly to unwise decisions made on the corporate level. Store employees suffer the most, with increased responsibility and slashed benefits.

Advice to Management

Promote more deserving people. Give positive feedback as well as negative. Quit wasting money on sidelines and dollar store-esque junk.

5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Naperville, IL

Pros

Only promotes withing
    Great work environment
    Room for growth
    Great work culture

Cons

Mostly only full time (not a con for me but for some)
    not many other downs other that its a bookstore. Don't expect an engineers salary.

6. "Sad"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Half Price Books (More than 10 years)

Pros

The stuff is great, some co-workers are great.
    Pay is 'meh' for how hard you work. It all depends on your managers- some districts are awesome, some (Cincinnati, for example) are NOT.

Cons

If you're unlucky enough to work in a district or store that is full of bullies or cliques, it is awful.

Advice to Management

Reward your hard workers, don't shame them for making others (i.e. your lazy friends!) look bad!

7. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Cedar Park, TX

I worked at Half Price Books full-time

Pros

Your hours never get cut, they hire temp workers when they need them, so you don't get screwed when it gets slow.

Great atmosphere, especially if you love working with books.

Some measure of freedom and discretion as far as your personal sections.

Cons

There is a massive amount of red tape if you get hurt and need time off.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to get employees leave if they are injured without making it an ordeal. They're already hurt, try to make it easy for them to have a break. Especially unpaid leave!

"Bookseller"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Louisville, KY

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and a fun work culture.

Cons

Management was finicky and could be unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and not let the good people leave.

"Satan runs this place"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cheap books and other useless junk

Cons

Owner is a sociopath. He loves the Grateful Dead though so it's all cool. Ask any of the employees there, they are all unhappy. Corporate also doesn't have your back even if you're getting screwed over.

Advice to Management

Try to see how long you can hold your breath for.

10. "You'll love it at first but it will break your bookish heart"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Fremont, CA

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I give this review one star to represent the superstars who I had the privilege of working with. This seems to be a running theme in the majority of these reviews: great coworkers. You see a lot of wonderful items come across the buy counter and the discount is great until you realize how much of your paycheck is going right back into their pockets.

Cons

I don't even know where to start because there are so many. Understaffed, overworked, underpaid. Shocking nepotism on the part of management. Taking away and reducing our benefits and going out of their way to find ways to fire long-time employees or make their lives miserable until they quit. Ridiculous hiring choices that resulted in more work for everyone but management (who could have avoided these painful processes if they had only listened to their supervisors rather than completely discounting their advice.) Customers who are allowed to walk all over you (in fact, we were encouraged to let them take advantage of us and treat us like garbage, perpetuating these behaviors.) Hostile work environment thanks to management. I keep mentioning management because they made everyone's lives a living hell due to their complete incompetence and antagonistic behavior, even towards customers (yes, the rest of us had to give them the sun and the moon while they were allowed to go so far as to call customers on the phone to berate them or deny them basic services in the store.) At our location, we had major issues with the homeless, having to clean blood and large quantities of feces from every surface of the bathroom, not to mention crack pipes and ashes, large-scale flooding of the toilets resulting in severe damage and loss of profits, multiple calls to the police, and we STILL were not allowed to close the restrooms to the public. Hey, did I mention management? Employees who went above and beyond for the sake of the store were chastised like children, told they were not allowed to speak to each other while working, were micromanaged to the point of ridiculousness, were made to feel like they didn't know how to do their jobs, were picked on incessantly for anything and everything, were banned from talking about work related issues or the sharing of information outside of work (What? Yes, they even tried to police us when we went home for the day.) I saw over 30 employees come and go in my time there and was told that this type of turnover was "normal." In what universe is this normal, especially when you're running your business with a skeleton crew at any given time? I could go on for pages and pages but I hope you get the gist.

Advice to Management

As my advice to "management" (I use the term loosely) was never heeded, I have none to give now that I have been lucky enough to get out of there. This should have been the best job ever. Instead, it turned into one of the worst.

"Interesting job, but unreasonable expectations"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Dublin, CA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Dublin, CA

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place if you love books, vinyl records, etc. Coworkers generally made it fun. Get to share your opinions and recommendations. Hour lunch. Never stuck in one position too long - many things to do, including register, buying books, shelving books, pulling books for clearance, boxing books, making displays, taking calls, etc.

Cons

Management has unreasonable expectations for how fast you work, how many boxes you clear, etc. Was explicitly told that the daily goals for boxes were unattainable in most cases, that the store manager designed it that way. Performance reviews focused on the negative. Must be a quick learner, because they expect you to be perfect from Day 1.

Advice to Management

Focus on the positives - be more encouraging with your reviews, even while addressing things that need work. Spend time one-on-one if an employee needs improvement in one area. Make the goals more reasonable. Make schedules more consistent - going from opening one day to closing the next is hard on anyone.