Half Price Books Reviews | Glassdoor

Half Price Books President and CEO Sharon Anderson Wright
Sharon Anderson Wright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I knew other people who were working a couple of jobs to make ends meet, but working 50 to 60 hours a week for low pay is really no way to live (in 21 reviews)

• Paid sick time reduced to 9 days per year from 12 (in 9 reviews)

1. "good good good good good"

I have been working at Half Price Books full-time

Pros

pretty much everything is good

Cons

none that i can currently think of

Advice to Management

none

2. "Great discount but"

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount on used items

Cons

Disappointed guest at Buy Counter
    Lack of communication between MOD/ Staff/ DM

"Book seller"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job itself was very easy; shelving books alphabetically in assigned section, buying customer merchandise and running the register. That was about it. You can check out and buy books in the store for 50% off for employees which is great if you're a reader. Great benefits for a retail job!

Cons

A lot of nepotism and ignorance among management. The management and "shift supervisors" let a lot of outbursts and disrespect towards coworkers slide from employees of whom they fraternized with. They made first time employees shift leaders after four months of working there. Each and everyone of them took advantage of it; giving themselves higher discounts, paying their friends higher than usual for selling their stuff at the buy counter, abusing their authority over employees, getting people in trouble they "didn't like", etc. There HR was a joke, I had to send a complaint about a shift leader because of racist and sexist comments. They told me they would get back to me and never did. Instead, I got called into a meeting where both managers trying to shower me with intimidation and tell me to come talk to them instead if before I went to HR. But that was another problem, every time someone came and talked to them about something it either got handled then died down temporarily or got ignored and became progressively worse. It's clear this is a retail store that targets millenials. If you don't clique with the snobbish and very gossipy hippy mentality, they will most likely find ways to get of you or for you to quit. Which is why there was a revolving door for employees before I finally threw in the towel. The toxic work environment set by both managers and employees wasn't even worth the pay or the insurance.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the incompetent shift leaders who lack leadership and management skills and hire ones that do!

4. "Overall Good"

I have been working at Half Price Books full-time

Pros

Really enjoyable work that's fast paced and educational. Fun to work as a team to help the customers in the best way possible.

Cons

Greatly enjoyed my time with them, no complaints

5. "good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Half Price Books full-time

Pros

its a good place to work.

Cons

not much room to advance and the pay is low.

Advice to Management

pay more for full time help and have a career development program of some sorts.

"A low-stress company to work for with a few drawbacks."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Half Price Books full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly low-stress at the lower levels of employment. 35 hour workweeks are a boon and a curse. The people who work for this company, especially those not in management, are excellent. We have a decent healthcare program. Our time-off accrual isn't what it used to be but still not bad. There are quarterly profit-based-bonuses though we sometimes do not turn enough profit to merit the bonus, increasingly so over the past 4 years or so. It's a great company to work for given you do not seek any real advancement, career-wise.

Cons

I agree with a lot of people's assessments that management is very hectic and lacks discipline and coordination. The company on a whole is still trying to figure out the next step in its evolution. Our website is a joke among most of the staff at our level as it rarely functions the way that it should. Pay is not good and managers will often cite percentage caps when assessing raises during yearly reviews. I make more than most people at my level and even more than my supervisors and I have yet to crack 30k after over 10 years with the company. There is no real valuation of employees. Promotions are based on superficiality. The company has grown more corporate driven on a whole and is losing its sense of self. Our office is run like a warehouse where there is no communication and no trust from management. They have eliminated any "distraction" including banter and headphones at our desks.

Advice to Management

Trusting your employees with more responsibilities. Evaluating employees better. Stop micro-managing. Build real relationships. Start implementing new technologies. Hire better people to manage the website. The person who is head of our new website is a mercurial pedant who doesn't ever give any real advice or inspiration.

7. "lead installer"

Current Employee - Lead Installer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Installer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Half Price Books full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

the people and the benefits

Cons

brand new employees make more than minimum wage, but long term employees make far less than comparable positions outside the company

Advice to Management

pay your long term, well trained employees better

8. "Good place with right management"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Half Price Books part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair benefits, esp. for full-time employees, fair sick/holiday time, hour-long lunches, half off merchandise

Cons

upper management can be a pain, store policies are sometimes company-wide which doesn't work well for all stores, STRICT late policy and punishments. Nepotism among upper management

Advice to Management

try to make sure all managers are in positions that they deserve. way too much nepotism.

"The End is near..."

Former Employee - Bookseller in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Half Price Books full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid days off "holidays", semi-flexible schedule, discounts on merchandise, and you can take home "trash" for free!

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work you are expected to perform, horrible communication from corporation to retail staff, benefits continued to be cut back every year, lack of consistency on company policies, lots of crisis management rather than pro-active planning.

Advice to Management

This was once a very nice company to work for as far as retail gigs go, yet over the past five years HPB has lost it's original vision and is stumbling into the always changing retail marketplace. Senior management appear to be blind, or choose to ignore, problems. Waiting for situations to be at a crisis point, rather than fix the problem when it first occurred.
    My advice, listen to your employees. Be more aware of the marketplace and retail wages/benefits. This old saying is true, "If you take care of your employees, they will take care of you."

10. "Alright Place to Work"

I have been working at Half Price Books full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. The staff at this location is okay. 50% employee discount on almost any item in the store.

Cons

Pay is low. Other wise, not many.