Halff Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "2 thumbs up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Halff Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People and family oriented. They truly care about their employees.

Cons

Honestly, I do not have any cons worth writing about.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees!

"Excellent Place to Work"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX

I worked at Halff Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the culture at Halff. I found the company to really be people oriented. The things that spoke strongest to me about that commitment to people were the sacrifices management made during the economic downturn to protect as many jobs as possible. Over the years it was clear that leadership valued each employee. Seeing frequent long tenured employees also backed that up.

Additionally, I was given incredible opportunities for responsibility and leadership at a relatively early phase in my career. That allowed me to grow much more than I otherwise would have. I was grateful for the challenge.

Cons

The compensation, while somewhat comparable with other companies, was not the highest. That said, the other non-monetary considerations (culture, flexibility, growth opportunities) tended to make up for the compensation for me personally.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. As the company grows, continue to engage people on a personal and small group level. Continue to allow for forums for employees to ask questions and give input. Support opportunities for flexibility in the work place - I considered that a critical piece in the value of my workplace and my team leaders supported that.

3. "Transportation Engineer"

Former Employee - Transportation Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Transportation Engineer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Halff Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful company to make your career at. Very knowledgeable engineers that produce high quality products. Team environment with room to grow and bring new ideas to the workspace. Fair and honest managers who make you feel as though they are looking out for your best interest.

Cons

At times a very high stress job. Sometimes you will be so busy on projects, that the ability to learn on the fly is tested. The workloads continue to expand based on the changing industry requirements, agency politics and competitive market.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in not only your graduate engineers but also your younger professional engineers. Make it a fun environment to work in and have open communication with your teams to understand their needs in and out of the office environment.

4. "Feels Like Family"

Current Employee - Vice President in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Halff Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Halff Associates for over 20 years and worked in multiple offices in various positions. At each stop, I noticed one thing. It always felt like I was surrounded by family. Everyone is very supportive and there are so many knowledgeable people here. We have a unique culture at Halff that I have not seen at any other firms. We enjoy the work we do and share in our successes. Our goal is to provide successful projects to clients and develop our staff to continue the growth of the company.

Cons

All I can say is that Management listens to all concerns and "cons" and does a great job each year addressing these, making improvements to our work life, and focusing on making Halff the best firm to work for.

5. "Best Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Halff Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Despite being a large regional firm, Halff, in many ways, has the feel of a small family business. Halff has a strong focus on its people and that translates into personal growth and integrity, great customer service, high quality of work, innovative thinking, and a great work environment!

Cons

Depending on your goals in your career, the only potential downside, and it is a stretch at that, is that there are fewer opportunities to move up the ladder. But, that is what you get when you have a great company that has minimal turnover with its employees!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you have been doing. Halff is moving in a positive direction with great opportunities on the horizon.

6. "Halff Fort Worth"

Current Employee - EIT in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - EIT in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Halff Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Halff is an employee owned company which is by far its best quality because that is quite uncommon amongst civil engineering firms. The company invests in and truly does care about the growth of its employees.

Cons

Meeting deadlines can occasionally require extra hours.

7. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Halff Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with!
    There is plenty of opportunity for success!
    Firm is known for many engineering services including drainage and floodplain management.
    Management invests heavily in the growth of the employees.
    Firm is growing outside of Texas.

Cons

Flat organization but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

8. "Excellent career opportunities!"

I have been working at Halff Associates full-time

Pros

Halff offers a broad range of consulting services which gives employees the opportunity to participate on multi-discipline projects and explore career opportunities as they develop. Everyone is included in the project management process which provides the chance to interact with the clients at an early stage in your career. Halff also encourages and supports participation in professional organizations and activities.

Cons

Halff has a flat organizational structure which is a challenge for young professionals to see how they will progress in their careers, but this actually prompts growth based on individual merits.

9. "Great Environment"

I worked at Halff Associates full-time

Pros

Halff offers a great working environment. The people are excellent mentors and very friendly. Coworkers had positive attitudes and there was never workplace drama. There is a wide variety of projects to work on, so young engineers can see what areas they are interested in. Overall, this is an excellent company to work for with plenty of opportunity to advance your career, grow as a person, and develop relationships. Definitely recommend.

Cons

The benefits package is a little lacking, but NOT a deal breaker. The health insurance is unusual and somewhat confusing. When I first started we could only use our paid time off (PTO) days if we used a full 8 hours at once. Meaning, if you wanted to leave at lunch and take 4 hours off you had to find a way to make up the time or just take the whole day off. Policy changed to where employees can use 4 hour blocks of PTO, which made things better, but there shouldn't be restrictions on how many hours someone wants to take off at a time. Overall, the company is making steps to improve their benefits and moving in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great team & work life balance, plenty of opportunity"

Former Employee - Graduate Civil Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Graduate Civil Engineer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Halff Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's little separation from EIT to team leads, which allows for a true team atmosphere and also the opportunity to learn from the most experienced. Work life balance is excellent. Seems to be trending upward as Halff wins more and more projects. Work flow is steady, and the scopes of projects are diverse, even in the same discipline. The people of every department really do make the job great, even if the days are long. Would recommend the company to anyone.

Cons

Would like to see EITs be able to vary their project involvement to help expose them to more, in turn making them more well rounded engineers.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring people that fit into the team, the atmosphere was always positive and pleasant. Seek locations that would help bring in more talent (i.e. Bigger cities), when the timing is right. Keep up the good work.