Halifax Health Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Jeff Feasel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management could care less about those beneath them (in 5 reviews)

• Patient care staff on unit very unhappy, we are poorly staffed, no clinical support education based on unit to mentor nursing staff (in 4 reviews)

1. "No good deed goes unpunished."

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to move up, always work to do. Never bored.

Cons

70% of the workforce is lazy or incompetent. 30% of workforce cleans up after the 70%, and gets burnt out. Long time employees don't care anymore, just waiting to retire. One manager for a large area, in particular for sure. Administration has no pulse on the true issues.

Advice to Management

Pay a little more, and it'll pay off. You get valuable employees that are efficient. If they are not, let them go. Stop keeping these people employed!

Find a way, not electronically, to survey your employees to get the true results. They are afraid to answer honestly because of the computer. Sounds ridiculous, but it's true. Then let go of poor management of many of your departments and start over.

We are a unique organization, so think outside the box. Include employees in the hiring process of management? Listen to the majority's needs. Stop looking to managers to get the answers- they only care about CYA. Get them from your little guys.

"It's All About The Money"

Current Employee - CNA in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - CNA in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work with wonderful, caring, compassionate people who are good leaders and great teachers. It's a job that fills the soul... and that's about it.

Cons

Unfortunately, it's also a job that will never keep a roof over your head. As the title states it's all about the money or, more precisely, the lack of it. RNs, LPNs and CNAs out in the field don't make enough to cover bills so a great majority are forced to have to work second and third jobs.

Advice to Management

Cornerstone is held every year to pick brains on how to make Halifax stand out/save money so the CEO, Jeff Feasel, can look better to the Board. I'd love to see a Cornerstone meeting take on the subject of how Halifax is going to do better by its employees , and I'm not talking about the nickel to fifteen cents, a laughably paltry McDonald's-type wage "increase" IF it's in the budget. I want to know how we are to compassionately care for dying patients to the best of our abilities, maintain our autos in top condition as well as ourselves if we have to work extra hours elsewhere.

"Halifax Hospital"

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time

Pros

Benefits, employee discounts, ok pay.

Cons

Cut hours, no overtime, short staffed.

4. "Manager stuck in middle expected to do impossible with less"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family friendly environment where most staff live local so this is a convenient place to work

Cons

Middle management gets hit on both sides. Patient care staff on unit very unhappy, we are poorly staffed, no clinical support education based on unit to mentor nursing staff. Senior leadership expects miracles to improve patient satisfaction scores at any cost, yet do nothing about issues affecting patient safety. Do more and better with less. No staff mentoring or focus on improving systems as RN Managers too busy putting out fires on daily basis and going to meetings which waste time. (Read "Death by Meeting", try looking at some Harvard Business school management books, Toyota Lean process, Richard Branson, Google....Happy Employees = happy customers.) Stop saying you pay average for Volusia County salaries. You have to spend money to make money. Pay for quality up front. Nursing salaries clearly show staff is expendable.
     Nurses are yelled at on a daily basis by MD's. Not acceptable.
    Time for a major culture change. Medicine here is behind by 10 to 15 years from the rest of Florida.

Advice to Management

Put front line staff first, improve staffing ratios, improve salary = improved patient satisfaction and safety. Less staff turnover. Don't ask middle managers to pull off miracles without resources....budget cuts do not equal better outcomes.
    Pay whatever it takes to bring in young, world class physicians who bring cutting edge medicine to bedside.
    Pay more attention nursing recommendations to improve bedside quality care.

"Nope."

Former Employee - Medical Administrator in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Administrator in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The relationships I have made with the people I work with.
    And that is really about it. It's a paycheck, that barely pays the bills.

Cons

Low pay. To much micromanagement. Upper management could care less about those beneath them.
    NO RAISES. NO BOUNUS. The insurance through the company costs about my entire paycheck. It's not worth it. They will tell you anything to get you through the door. When I had my interview they talked about how they pride themselves on offering raises. Come time for annual review and there's an announcement that there won't be any raises. It's just disappointing. Especially because everyone in upper management make well over six figures.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees and maybe you won't have such a high turnover rate.
    Pay more. You can't keep demanding if you don't compensate for what you are asking.

6. "Coding Specialist"

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time

Pros

Flexible Hours, paid time offs

Cons

Too much with little compensation

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The patient care staff are great, but that is it.

Cons

Poor pay and unsafe ratios.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and give fair pay.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Rehab Technician in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Rehab Technician in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time

Pros

Great Benefits package you can live with

Cons

Not so organized with Brooks Rehab

9. "A Great Community Employer"

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Honestly a great place to work. Tight-knit team of people. Work in a meaningful and challenging environment. Get to really help people. A lot of opportunity for advancement if you are willing to put in the work required. Supportive leadership. Get to work in the only real full-service hospital around.

Cons

It's difficult sometimes to be the community hospital in a community that seems not to appreciate having a medical center that really does take care of everyone, or understand that when your mission is to take care of everyone, you have also make money to keep things like the area's only trauma program running.

Advice to Management

Please, please, please rework the PL usage policy! It causes a lot of personal tension and scheduling strain on departments and dissatisfies a lot of the employees.

10. "CNA"

Former Employee - CNA in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - CNA in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Halifax Health Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

There wasn't anything to complain