Hallmark Reviews | Glassdoor

Hallmark Reviews

Updated June 28, 2017

1.0
Hallmark Vice Chairman, President, and CEO Don Hall Jr.
Don Hall Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "installation retail merchandiser"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

they are none for anybody.

Cons

refuse to pay for travel reimbursement

Advice to Management

your arrogant and evil people. who treat your employees merchandiser like slaves.

2. "Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Dimas, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Dimas, CA

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet a lot of nice people

Cons

The management is not good . He will not work you if he doesn't like you.

Advice to Management

Don't stop employees from working. You don't own Hallmark this is a corporate store.

"Nope"

Current Employee - Order Processor in Liberty, MO

I have been working at Hallmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

no experience needed for this job

Cons

Constant overtime...like everyday, all year. Somehow they manage to take the once largest square foot building in North America and make it overcrowded to the point where you have to say excuse me every 15 seconds. Constant take and no give.

Advice to Management

Quit blaming your employees for corporates problems! we didn't close down infield, and we have and do do the best we can . Hallmark needs to rethink their business practices or they will soon be another statistic.

"Don't do it!"

Former Employee - Employee in Liberty, MO
    Former Employee - Employee in Liberty, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It used to be a great place to work but went down hill in a hurry. The only pro now is it pays the bills.

Cons

Overtime hasn't stopped in years. Impossible to balance work with a family. High expectations for too little pay. Managers don't care about employees. Upper management is absolutely awful. They won't listen to any ideas that might make the job more efficient. Literally work people to death. They do background checks but it doesn't matter what the results are. If you can walk, you can work. Personal belongings constantly get stolen.

Advice to Management

Like they'd listen..

5. "NOT A PLACE TO WORK"

Former Employee - Key Holder in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Key Holder in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Hallmark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some coworkers made it easier to cope with the negative. Hours were good. Loyal customers to store - they were always very nice.

Cons

The managers at both stores I worked at had alot to be desired as far as integrity and ethical standards.. At the first store, the manager covered for one employee all the time and she wouldn't share any information. No training whatsoever from the manager. Both managers would not reply to texts or phone calls, leaving early or coming in late with no explanation - just a 'bye". The other store is a disaster from start to finish. Blatant lies, Promises made with no intention of ever being kept, no communication, no standards, and the list goes on and on. Frustrated, disappointed, and not even being appreciated no matter how hard I tried was how I felt.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of putting manager's at stores. Maybe even have some sort of questionnaire for employees to complete on the manager's. Someone at the home office should get involved.

"Hallmark is the Worst Employer"

Former Employee - Order Processor in Liberty, MO
    Former Employee - Order Processor in Liberty, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Benefits are pretty good

Cons

Physically demanding, you are a work horse. They have a 60 point rate system you must obtain daily. In my opinion its unobtainable. You have have to run to obtain this 60 point rate. When they fire you they disarm your badge and pay you that day. What they dont tell you is that they take insurance premiums out of your last check and cancel your insurance that same day. When you are paying a $282.00 premium every two weeks thats alot not to be able to use it at least till the end of the month.

Advice to Management

Lack of communication will be the death of Hallmark.

"Creative Leader"

Former Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You work with incredibly talented colleagues and team mates.

Cons

The executive leadership does not have a clear vision for the future and cannot articulate a solid business strategy. This lack of direction creates constant change within the work teams which in turn creates "creative burn-out" amongst the team members.

Advice to Management

Recognizing that this is a bit dated in the feedback but continue to hear the same scenario from recently departed employees; you have the answers within your company but you are not listening. Take off your blinders and make a solid assessment of of your business model and do not be afraid to take a risk. That risk may mean cleaning house at the top and not the bottom of your work pool.

"order processor"

Current Employee - Order Processor in Liberty, MO

I have been working at Hallmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

there are no pros there.

Cons

they lie to you about the work load and they change the rules every other day, dont offer raise either

"Unrealistic expectations"

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in South Alabama, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in South Alabama, NY

I worked at Hallmark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, very limited hours- you can work around your schedule! You are the first to see new merchandise. Store management is usually great to work with you.

Cons

Extremely low pay for the job! Heavy lifting and minimal hours are given to get work done! Territory manager acted like she was an executive at a fortunate 500 company and dictated orders! You will definitely have to have another job to go along with this one because you would starve for lack of hours and pay!!

Advice to Management

Pay more! You make a lot of money and should treat your employees fair! People with a "title" should be held accountable!

10. "Not a long term job"

I worked at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Each year you are employed, you receive a $5 Christmas bonus as a part-time employee. You also receive 20% off store products, and one time a year, employees come in for a "40% night", though I am unsure if this is regional based or franchise wide.

Cons

First of all, the Kirlin's are cheap-and that is 100% not regional. I worked there for over 2 years, was promoted to a "person in charge" (keyholder tasked with opening/closing store, responsible for other employees, working holidays, and managing accounts and the safe) and still made minimum wage. I was also in charge of our ornament stocking and pre-orders, where I was still working in awful conditions and making minimum wage. As a college student, I thought working 30+ hours a week was awesome...until my paychecks were under $550 every two weeks. When I got the nerve to ask our district manager for a raise, she laughed and told me I was replaceable. My manager was also in her late 70s, and was as outdated as our computers the Kirlin's refused to update for us. (Please note-my current store owner is also in his 70s, but has evolved with the growing technology and market-that was not a stab at age in the workplace)

Advice to Management

Work with employees on hours and pay
    Appreciate and delegate tasks for employees to accomplish

Showing 135 of 1,188 reviews