Hallmark Reviews | Glassdoor

1,140 Employee Reviews

"Very positive."

Current Employee - Territory Trainer in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Territory Trainer in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We work independently. Guidance is there when needed. Positive environment. Pay rates are competitive. Company works to keep up with consumer trends.

Cons

Part time hours, full time availability and is mentality expected . Unreasonable restrictive time budgets. Information communicated can be vague. No benefits.

Advice to Management

Truly listen to your field reps about account needs.

Hallmark Response

May 4, 2017 – Your Hallmark Representative

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback and advice. We're so glad that you enjoy the ability to work independently and appreciate all you do as a Territory Trainer.

"Hallmark"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent culture, great coworkers, discount on products

Cons

Uncertain future, no recognition for excellent work

3. "Section Manager"

Former Employee - Section Manager in Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Section Manager in Lawrence, KS

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity for various assignments within company.

Cons

Coming to an end when had to re-locate

"Nope"

Current Employee - Order Processor in Liberty, MO
    Current Employee - Order Processor in Liberty, MO

I have been working at Hallmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

no experience needed for this job

Cons

Constant overtime...like everyday, all year. Somehow they manage to take the once largest square foot building in North America and make it overcrowded to the point where you have to say excuse me every 15 seconds. Constant take and no give.

Advice to Management

Quit blaming your employees for corporates problems! we didn't close down infield, and we have and do do the best we can . Hallmark needs to rethink their business practices or they will soon be another statistic.

"Quickly loosing faith in a once great company..."

Current Employee - Graphic Designer/Production Artist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer/Production Artist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Hallmark full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great creative freedom, excellent benefits and great pay (hard to beat). Coworkers are the best around!

Cons

Not enough being done to retain good talent, and people wasting away in positions that do not utilize their best skills. Upper management "THINKS" they know what people do but in reality have no clue what our jobs actually entail. Dumb business decisions made by supposedly "smart" people, but then they refuse to admit they were wrong and correct mistakes they've made (bad reorganizations, etc.). Many company policies are still stuck in the 1970's with clearly no idea of how "modern" companies work effectively.

Advice to Management

Get an enema. Admit when you're wrong (people would actually have much more respect for you). Make your PEOPLE the companies greatest asset again, and bring back our jobs to KC instead of China and India! You get what you pay for. Wake up! Full time employees might cost much more but you have to know we were a much better company than we are today with all the outsourcing to foreign vendors. How about you truly INVEST in our future (full time Hallmarkers) and bring back what made this company great throughout it's first 100 years?!

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Tuscaloosa, AL

I worked at Hallmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a Store Manager can be extremely rewarding. The District of store managers that I worked with was great and the atmosphere we created was one of sharing information and fun. I had worked for Hallmark for 5 plus years from a Sales associate to Store Manager. So my experience of coming through the ranks was rewarding, but at times frustrating. They have high expectations for the store look and product placement, but if your idea is for a visual set up is better then usually you can do it. They do allow managers to have quite a bit of freedom of design and ways to relate to your local shoppers, but have big expectation as a result of that freedom.
    The company is moving in a new direction that will make them more current, they are also using less vendor products in store and more of their own collection. So hopefully, this new direction will result in better store and management.
    Overall, it is a great company to work for, just don't let yourself get burnt out.

Cons

- They change the way they expect the store to be set up frequently and are not always clear on what they really want in store (because they don't actually know yet).
    - They do not usually promote from within ( i.e. from Key holder to Store Manager, I actually left the company and then came back as a store manager within 6 months of my leaving the company).
    - There is no assistant manager position and Key Holders are expected to act as mini ones.
    - They are still working out some of the kinks of going from a set hours given to a system of hours based on what you are expected to make that day.
    - Stores in the Malls are not doing as well, so if you work in one expect to have to figure out ways to attract more customers in.
    - I took how work frequently with me, but that could just be how I am. Many managers I know have gotten burnt out because they stay late often or bring work home frequently.

Advice to Management

Stick to the new direction of a more boutique look in stores, but let the managers set up the product where it would work best in their store. We know how our customers shop through are stores and the organization of product that you demand doesn't work in every store.
    Stick to one plan and stay with it for a while, be quicker to pick up on trends, and have more sales.
    Bring back the assistant manager, it is unfair to expect Key holders to assume assistant store manager responsibilities with no benefit to it. It would also be an easy way to train future store Managers.
    My biggest advice is to actually promote from within. Those of us who work in the store know how the company works, and less stores would struggle if you didn't keep bring in people who know nothing about the way the company works.

"Installation Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Territory Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Territory Supervisor in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flex hours, Equipment is easy to use

Cons

No training, Management is slow to respond to you, Hours can range from none to 30 plus

Advice to Management

Training should be better

"Retail Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of co-workers, Management that listens and acts upon the advice of its employees.
    constant praise.

Cons

Merchandisers having to do installations. work all holidays. some of the accounts are not exactly welcoming their merchandisers into their stores when they should be kissing their feet for keeping the card department in order for them.. Think about it.....

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management as they have always treated me with a caring hand.

9. "Love my coworkers but our owners are detached"

Current Employee - Sales in Gahanna, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Gahanna, OH

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing coworkers, fun atmosphere, "regular" customers

Cons

Our owners do not take our suggestions or complaints seriously. Policies are enacted by people who have seemingly no experience on the floor in retail.

Advice to Management

Local management is fantastic.

10. "Former employee"

Former Employee - Package Handler in Lawrence, KS
    Former Employee - Package Handler in Lawrence, KS

I worked at Hallmark full-time

Pros

Good pay, fair hours, 401K, room to move up

Cons

Layoffs, unpredictable with stability, dying industry

Showing 1,140 of 1,166 reviews