Hallmark Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Retail Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work totally by yourself.

Cons

Super low pay compared to other Merchandising companies. Lack of training in Supervisory rolls. Too much info emailed from Corporate which doesn't pertain directly to your market. Hours are truly Seasonal,off seasons 5-8 weekly on seasons up to 28 weekly. Be prepared to work holidays that are not paid time +1/2 and some weekends,

Advice to Management

Train your Managers and Supervisors more efficiently.Offer Supervisors training on people skills as they are our direct connection.Don't change territories every March. Keep things flowing.

"Depends on regional owner"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Clerk in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Clerk in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Low stress. Sometimes can be fun.

Cons

Low pay. No benefits. High turnover. Clock in and out for 10 minute breaks. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of customers.

3. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hannibal, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hannibal, MO

I worked at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers were generally pleasant and enjoyed assisting them in their purchases.

Cons

Random and inconsistent scheduling of hours, odd break times, back room/break room dirty, manager did poor job of managing and was on her phone most of the time (personal business), most of decisions are made from management team that never steps foot in the local store. Lengthy check-out process with outdated registers/credit card machines.

Advice to Management

Individual managers should be making more decisions at local level with less penalties and "strikes" being handed down from corporate. Sales associates should have positive reinforcement along with the barrage of negative reinforcement.

"Ups and Downs"

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Frederick, MD

I worked at Hallmark (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, decent pay for part time

Cons

Not very organized, holiday hours are long, have to work a lot days leading up to holiday and the day after every holiday

"Nice part time job"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Excellent training. Independent work. Flexible hours. Easy to learn and use hand held computer device. Guidance beyond initial training readily available via Crown Connect device and Territory Supervisor. It's fun to put new merchandise out and then watch it go out the door through sales. Very rewarding to leave department looking clean and organized.

Cons

It can get a bit hectic around holiday times, but that's true of all retail work. The number of hours budgeted by management is low and unrealistic to keep departments in tip top shape and organized. Hourly pay is low.

Advice to Management

Be more generous with budgeted hours. A raise in pay might be a good idea.

6. "Managment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time

Pros

Everyone there was so friendly, and great environment to work in.

Cons

The long hours and last minute shift changes .

Advice to Management

We worked as a great team and keep everyone happy.

"Retail Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Hallmark part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, freedom to choose hours, pretty easy work for the most part; totally work unsupervised. They put you in stores close to home. No phones, no stress, don't really have to work with the customers.

Cons

Never see a co-worker, my supervisor is hard to get a hold of. Putting up the different seasons is confusing. Couldn't get more hours/stores even asking for more work. Listening to supermarket music all the time is a drag! Only ever PT.

Advice to Management

Check in with your RM's more often.

"Merchandising"

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Brighton, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Brighton, CO

I worked at Hallmark part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a flexible work schedule

Cons

Low pay, very few hours until the holidays and then overwhelming work during holidays.

Advice to Management

Way more is expected of the merchandiser than is compensated for. There isn't enough room for advancement. The core merchandise rarely changes and needs serious updating. Pay is way to low for the work involved. Only plus side is it's flexible and my particular area manager was awesome. Holidays are a nightmare, so much product to get out in such a short time with no extra help.

9. "Loyal Customers...and loving!"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saratoga Springs, NY

I worked at Hallmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers... plain and simple. They are loyal... treat you like part of the family! The products sell themselves, but it is the customers that come in to share a moment in their lives with us, and we truly built amazing relationships. I only left due to relocation to a different state to be closer to family and did not have the opportunity to transfer but would go back if ever given a chance

Cons

Corporate was tough on payroll and made it almost impossible to run stores. Micro-management by DM's made an uncomfortable work environment at times. No work/life balance... tough to ever get a day off as manager.

Advice to Management

Upper management: You hire us Store Managers to run the stores... so let us! The constant phone calls and emails keep us from our salesfloors and our customers. Give us what we need to run the stores.

"Hallmark is the Worst Employer"

Former Employee - Order Processor in Liberty, MO
    Former Employee - Order Processor in Liberty, MO

I worked at Hallmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Benefits are pretty good

Cons

Physically demanding, you are a work horse. They have a 60 point rate system you must obtain daily. In my opinion its unobtainable. You have have to run to obtain this 60 point rate. When they fire you they disarm your badge and pay you that day. What they dont tell you is that they take insurance premiums out of your last check and cancel your insurance that same day. When you are paying a $282.00 premium every two weeks thats alot not to be able to use it at least till the end of the month.

Advice to Management

Lack of communication will be the death of Hallmark.

Showing 1,157 of 1,186 reviews