Hallmark Services Corp Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "IT Specialist"

Former Employee - IT Department in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - IT Department in Naperville, IL

I worked at Hallmark Services Corp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Loved the job and found it interesting. Great working with colleagues and end users. For many years it felt like a family. Right now there is tremendous change which can be stressful but also exhilerating

Cons

As what can happens in any company, my supervisor was the worst. She was the ultra micromanager and would throw her subordinates under the bus at times. Also would talk down to you, and instead of diffusing an issue would get over excited.I tried hard to stick it out but in the end it was too stressful. Most other managers I thought were pretty good.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore complaints from workers. It seems like the Wisconson group is untouchable. One bad apple can spoil the bunch

2. "Unstructured, Hectic"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Naperville, IL
    Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Naperville, IL

I worked at Hallmark Services Corp as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the location of this office since it's out in the west suburbs. The employees I worked with were great. They were friendly and warm.

Cons

I'm not sure it's every project but the project I was on was a nightmare. They were going from Waterfall to Agile. Most people called it water boarding because it was so painful. I felt like it was a train wreck waiting to happen. The management team couldn't get the backlog developed and wouldn't commit to an iteration in advance, so we were always in an iteration writing stories at the same time development was taking place, causing QA headaches trying to get everything tested. The business leads on the project kept adding layers of process over an already taxing 2 week iteration. Challenging the ever morphing process was frowned on, which led to some people being let go. On other related projects, I heard that things weren't so bad, but the overall impression of me is that the IT needs a major overahall. Sad to say, the IT helpdesk was also more like the helpless desk. They really need to change the overall impression of that organization. I took the job knowing the challenges but I would not do so again.

Advice to Management

Get feedback from people who engage with management. Demonstrate to them the importance of listening to the people doing the work. Get out of the way and let the development team hit a stride so they can get the job done. When you see constant churn where key resources going in out of a rotating door, stop the bleeding, fix the problem and find management that knows how to allow talented people do their job.

3. "Great place to work, but you have to sacrifice family life."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at Hallmark Services Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyable, friendly, secure, fast-paced and somewhat crazy. You will make friends you'll have for life. You get to enjoy going to work most days, and you'll be a part of the most important change in healthcare the USA has ever seen

Cons

Managers don't work together, their dysfunction ruins the teamwork everyone struggles to create. If a team works together it can't be torn apart, if it wasn't together in the first place, we fall apart before we even know what's about to happen.

Advice to Management

WORK TOGETHER!

5. "Very Unstructured"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Hallmark Services Corp full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They keep employees happy by having a number of employee-centered activities.

Cons

There are some sharp people there, but the pay is low. In too many cases, you get what you pay for.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay, hire some good people and you won't need all of the people you have. Get more smart managers.

6. "Manager"

I worked at Hallmark Services Corp full-time

Pros

Great location, renovated/updated campus. Amazing coworkers that you will keep for life. Decent benefits and time off This used to be a GREAT company to work for but has gone downhill tremendously in the last few years.

Cons

Senior management works you so hard that your goals are nearly impossible to meet without having to work 80+ hours on a weekly basis, compromising your annual bonus. Why offer so much time off when you are looked down on for requesting a day off? Complete idiots were put in charge of projects they knew next to nothing about, just to keep them busy. Stupidity is celebrated and hard work is punished. I've never worked for a company before where you were punished for doing a great job.

Advice to Management

Here's a tip. Fire the incompetents and keep the people who have developed great teams. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

7. "Run if you can"

I have been working at Hallmark Services Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses every year if you meet goals, employees and staff are nice generally, safe work environment, decent amount of vacation time.

Cons

Very little room for growth, unobtainable goals, high stress work environment for all positions.

Advice to Management

Give people training, set more realistic goals, and not micromanage so much.

8. "Too much Mom-and-Pop attitude."

I have been working at Hallmark Services Corp (Less than a year)

Pros

Location, location, location. Love working in the western suburbs of Chicago.

Cons

Senior management is too busy to notice that some of middle management is incompetent. Look up "Dilbert Principle".

Advice to Management

First - disable the "reply to all" button as apparently some people don't know how to use it appropriately.
    Second - Look to the grunts actually doing the work. Instead of middle management articulating strategy into tactics, you've got people so busy keeping their jobs they aren't doing their jobs.

9. "overall good"

Former Employee - Claims Examiner
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner

Pros

Love to work in insurance industry.

Cons

Not to fond of some of management.