Hamilton Reviews in Reno, NV | Glassdoor

Reno, NV Area

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steven Hamilton

Pros
  • The company provides adequate work/life balance for the majority of its employees (in 4 reviews)

• The work environment is mostly positive and the people that work at Hamilton are what make it great (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Hamilton Company is located in Reno, NV and there is virtually no other scientific manufacturer in the area (in 3 reviews)

• It is the worst company I have ever worked for (in 4 reviews)

1. "Enjoy working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good place to work. Benefit cost are very good. Stable Company.

Cons

Nothing is perfect, but good place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to look at ways to retain employees such as 401K, etc.

2. "Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Hamilton full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great tuition reimbursement program for employees

Cons

401k match could be better

3. "Was a great opportunity"

Former Employee - Assembly Technician in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Assembly Technician in Reno, NV

I worked at Hamilton full-time

Pros

The people are amazing. The pay and benefits are really good. Very stable.

Cons

I had to relocate with family. Company is only located in Reno.

Advice to Management

Improve the 401k.

"The Wizard of Oz"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Hamilton full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is in an un-congested city...Reno, NV
    Lots of outdoor activities close

Cons

If you decide to work here you will be working for a dreadful owner and as a result unfortunately a dreadful company. The owner manages by intimidation and shortsightedness. This trickles down to the overall management team and of course then to the line workers. It becomes very difficult to hold onto your moral-fiber when an employee can not voice their opinion for fear of losing their job...
    And unfortunately over time (and this is very insidious) it becomes less troublesome and you just accept it. This is not an environment anyone should work in. I’ve heard the owner on several occasion say “this company is NOT a Democracy”...I’ll leave the rest of the statement out...hopefully you get the picture.

Advice to Management

Not much can be done in this case until the owner leaves...

"This company has major issues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You don't need to worry about the company being sold
    The company is financially stable

Cons

I have never been associated with a company with such low morale.
    There is so much discontent here the management resorts to the same type of intimidation as the owner passes on to them.
    The turnover rate is high.
    All wage categories are low.
    Their technology for data management and manufacturing as well as engineering is way behind anything on the market. The data management software is so old it is no longer available.
    The health care insurance is bare bones and is monitored closely by third party underwriters.
    This site is monitored closely by Hamilton Operations and HR. When a negative review is posted they scour the facility for volunteers to post positive reviews in-order to neutralize the negative posts. If you refuse, well let’s just say this does not help your longevity. This statement is not supposition or maliciousness...it is actually occurring.

Advice to Management

Ask the owner to retire...

6. "Great company, great colleagues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hamilton is a great company. The work environment is mostly positive and the people that work at Hamilton are what make it great. Employees are supportive of one another and there is a strong collaborative teamwork atmosphere.
    I've worked at both privately-held and publicly-traded corporations in my career. The difference with Hamilton is that you can tell that the owner, Steve Hamilton, genuinely cares about the customers we serve and the employees. Decisions from management seem to made based on what is best for the customer now and in the future, not on quarterly sales numbers or stock price like in publicly-traded corporations.

Cons

Benefits like 401K could be improved.

7. "An Amazing Ride filled with life learning skills and Technology based Activity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Pros

I have been with Hamilton for over 2 decades. At Christmas the owner comes around to all 500 hundred employees and hands us a Christmas check. My boss gives everyone of us a hug and wishes us a Merry Christmas. She always joins us in our potlucks and is there for us if we need her. She listens to us and guides us when needed. She truly cares about our success rather than how she is portrayed to her peers.

Cons

It is difficult to pinpoint cons but as I read through some of the other comments I can say that the 401k can be greatly improved. Also our HR department has no privacy areas so I can talk about health benefit issues or whatever. The quality group and safety group have some arrogance that needs to be kept under check.

Advice to Management

Review benefits annually

"Unhealthy enviornment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Hamilton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Hours, Good Family Benefits

Cons

Poor Poor Poor management and leadership skills. Lack of communication. Cut throat environment. Poor Safety and regulations. Horrible H/R. They say they are equal opportunity, but that is not the case. Poor Finance Dept, Poor Customer Service Dept. Hateful mean, manipulative employees - Bullies everywhere from the Managers down.

Advice to Management

People fear for their job each and every hour. Do as I say not as I do attitude. Christmas and Summer party a joke. If your Senior Mgmt your not required to attend. There is no moral there. Just do your work, don't talk to others, don't learn from others. Management needs a huge changeover. Learn from Hamilton Medical, at least their the management is appreciative and happy. Computer system a joke, they don't want you to learn and grow or talk to others about the company. I see this going wrong very soon.

"A bad place to work"

I have been working at Hamilton full-time

Pros

No traffic issues in Reno

Cons

Wow, I noticed more people are coming out of the shadows to voice a real opinion about working at Hamilton Company. I am one of them. I was so paranoid about them having the ability to somehow track the review back to me I was afraid to write a review. That’s how bad it is here. As others have advised I would also advise any perspective employees to stay away from this company. The word bullying, cronyism and unethical have been used in other reviews. From my perspective, the descriptions are accurate. Also it is important to mention that the salary and hourly wage is below average, the benefits are horrible and the bonus percentages are absurd.

Advice to Management

From what I have seen they are intimidated by the owner. So advice would not work

"Abominable place to work."

I have been working at Hamilton full-time

Pros

There are some great people working here.

Cons

The most important thing to note here is that the current owner and CEO cares only about the money that goes into his pocket. No profit goes back into the company in any way. This includes upgrading machinery to employee benefits...
    The company is managed through intimidation which has developed a “Lord of the Flies” environment. Stay away...

Advice to Management

It’s one of those situations in which management has become so bad they would need to be replaced before employee management dialogue could occur