Hamister Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Hamister

1. "A Worthwhile Working Environment"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Coordinator in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Coordinator in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Hamister Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to prove yourself to the officers, President and CEO.

Cons

Priorities will often shift rapidly.

Advice to Management

Trust in your employees.

"Hamister Group has been loyal, communicative, firm, fair and consistent."

Current Employee - President in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - President in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Hamister Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Willingness to listen to new ideas and invest in them. Strategic planning. Quick (thought through) decisions, access to management at all levels and the ability to have an impact. I have been with the company for 33 years and can say that the Company has lived up to my expectations.

Cons

As the company grows, it is more difficult to get out in the field and meet with all of the staff members.

Advice to Management

Continue to thoughtfully add new positions at the Corporate office and in the field as the Company grows.

3. "Be Careful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Hamister Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Profitable company, but very unreasonable

Cons

Very High Turn over here, they want Blood from a Stone. Preach ethics but are unethical themselves. Good Luck if you choose to work there.

4. "Hamister is a joke"

I worked at Hamister Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't honestly think of any positives to this company

Cons

As long as hamister and turesky are running the show, nothing will ever change. Poor, poor "business men" facilities are understaffed, no leadership, minimal training. Staff is very incompetent. I have also personally heard hamister speaking to co-workers/staff... absolutely no respect... swearing, speaking down to them. This guy is a joke...

Advice to Management

Sell your company to someone that cares about their employees.

5. "OUTSTANDING COMPANY THAT I DID NOT APPRECIATE UNTIL TOO LATE"

Former Employee - Former Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Former Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Hamister Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This Company starting with its CEO and COO sets high standards especially regarding an exceptional customer experience and a rigid value system of honesty and ethics. This initially attracted me as something that I wanted. I was more accustomed to a lower standard of performance. I found that while such high standards were exciting and attractive it meant I needed to be sharper, work harder and smarter. I was not smart enough to appreciate it at the time. I left. I went to an environment with lower expectations. I do not feel as accomplished as I did when I worked for Hamister. I now miss it. I miss being challenged. If you want to be among the best, join them and do not make the mistake that I made. The grass is not greener.

Cons

They tend to hold onto people who do not subscribe to their higher standards and then let them complain and bad mouth. I hope that they learn to not keep those weaker people who are always blaming others instead of looking in the mirror.

Advice to Management

6. "Pleasure to work here"

Current Employee - New York in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - New York in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Hamister Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having been employed with Hamister Group, LLC for several years, one of the things that stand out most to me about the organization is community involvement. Hamister is an active participant in local events and encourages all staff to join in at all levels. Based on participation, staff is recognized for their time giving back to the community. In addition, as a current employee, I’ve experienced first-hand the ease of access to the executive team. Although their expectations are high, as they should be, the company goals are attainable. Not to mention, should I face an obstacle, I’m comfortable with approaching the executive team for leadership. I’m looking forward to the years ahead and continued growth with the organization.

Cons

Unfortunately we do not get to see all the people in person that we have daily contact.

"Very poor run management."

I worked at Hamister Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hamister didnt have the finances to buy the Sabres and the NF project fell through.

Cons

If you are "in" with Hamister or Turesky, you are golden, otherwise, you are just a number.

Advice to Management

Replace your managament team.

"Poor treatment of workers, nepotism, no job security"

I worked at Hamister Group full-time

Pros

If you work in corporate it will look good on a future résumé because the local community knows Mark's reputation as a tyrant, hotel discounts

Cons

Pay, dealing with the owner and his family, unrealistic goals, c-suite has little clue about modern work places, culture of spying and backstabbing, no job security.

Advice to Management

Retire

"Great Clients, Horrible management"

Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Potsdam, NY
    Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Potsdam, NY

Pros

The ability to work by yourself and to interact with different people.

Cons

Wage is just above minimum wage. Hours are awful and the management and schedulers treat you like you are garbage. Even though gas was supposed to be reimbursed there were always loopholes so they would be able to get out of reimbursing you. I only took the job to gain experiencing while finishing nursing school but it made me question whether or not I wanted to be in this field until I realized it was just this company. They are also owned by choice hotels and treat taking car of people like selling cars. There is no regard for the safety of the clients or what is best for them. If you bring up that you feel that it is unsafe for the elderly client to continue to live alone in their home you will be brushed off because its more about the bottom line then about the actual care.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the aides as if they are beneath you. They are actually the ones doing the care that you are billing for. Also the gossip that goes on in these offices is shameful.

"At first was amazed.. Then reality set it in real quick"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

They shock you with the wow factor. Negotiated salary. It looked very professional.

Cons

The wow factor wasn't worth a dime. The management took advantage of the staff. Had unreasonable goals. Agreed to certain criteria of position days off amount of hours to worked. None of those happened. And choose not to follow company standards to save $ that I am sure in the end will cost them 10 fold. Sad situation all the way around. Mark is arrogant, Jack who I have the upmost respect for promised no one would be set up to fail. But we all were because of Marks "disability" witch he openly admits is inpatients. Incredible

Advice to Management

If your gonna do the right thing for the right reasons might want to spend a lot more time figuring out what the right thing is. Before making rash inpatient decessions that only confuse, upset, hard working people who want to do a good job.