Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board Reviews in Hampton, VA | Glassdoor

Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board Hampton Reviews

Hampton, VA

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kathyn Roody
1 Rating

1. "Learn as much as you desire"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot if you are willing to get outside of your comfort zone. Many opportunities to work with multiple community agencies

Cons

Sink or swim sometimes. Little on the job training documentation program is tedious and time consuming. Inter agency collaboration is non existent

Advice to Management

They don't listen to the lower masses

2. "Ugh"

Current Employee - Behavioral Counselor in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Counselor in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the beginning it was great. I really enjoyed getting days off when the schools are closed and being paid for that time. Coworkers were also helpful and down to earth.

Cons

Some coworkers have a lot of mental issues themselves which can make work stressful. Or they don't pull their own weight. Management can change at anytime and they all have different management styles. My first manager was more authoritarian. She was more like a bully. My current supervisor is more relaxed but offers very little guidance.

Advice to Management

Allow for pay increases and bonuses according to experience. Invest more in training and engaging employees.

3. "Child and Adolescent Mental Health Case Manger"

Current Employee - Child and Adolescent Mental Health Case Manager in Hampton, VA

Pros

Able to get out of office
    Staff
    Given laptop and phone

Cons

Tons of paper work
    Unable to get into schools
    Pay
    Parents complaining

"Case Manager"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Hampton, VA

I worked at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work experience, great coworkers and great training opportunities. Employees and clients are what makes the job worth doing.

Cons

Management is terrible. They throw you under the bus just to get ahead or avoid responsibility. Clicks are still in season and communication is terrible between some supervisors and employees.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cut throat and actually help your employees. This will prevent for such high turn overs.

6. "Community Service Associate II"

Current Employee - Community Service Associate II in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Community Service Associate II in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay. good job for someone who does not have a lot of life obligations

Cons

have to be available sometimes without any notice

"TDT counselor"

Former Employee - Behavioral Counselor in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Behavioral Counselor in Hampton, VA

I worked at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board full-time (More than a year)

Pros

School hours
    Generally nice people to work with at the schools

Cons

Still had to work when school is not in session
    Impossible amount of paperwork
    Crappy pay
    Poor management

8. "Great way to gain experience in the behavioral health field."

Former Employee - Case Manager in Hampton, VA

I worked at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In certain positions, you may have the freedom to make your own schedule and see your clients at times that work best for you.

Cons

Pay isn't that great. Should be way more for what you are responsible for and the number of cases assigned to you.

Advice to Management

Increase your pay or h ire more employees to divide up some of the caseloads and job tasks.

9. "Politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hampton, VA

I worked at Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits package, some departments are better than others.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics! Senior management is out of touch, it is generally a good old boys/girls network. Middle management/supervisors tend to be the ones that have been there decades, whether they are qualiied to lead or not. They continue doing things the way they have always done it, whether it is destructive or violates state policy until they are caught by the state. If someone on the lower level brings violations or better ways to do someting to their attention, they either ignore it or put a target on that person's back.

Advice to Management

There are some good employees who truly want things done more efficiently that are thrown under the bus by old timer supervisors who just want to coast until they can collect their VRS benefits.

"Only cares about how things look - don't care about people who live here or work here."

Current Employee - Community Service Associate in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Community Service Associate in Hampton, VA

Pros

has very good insurance, training and other perks such as gym memberships at reduced rates
    has better pay than other companies who provide services to the disabled

Cons

I've been working here for about 4 years. The company used to care about the individuals who lived here - making sure that their rights were protected and that person centered options were used. Now, we are told "they don't really know what their rights are so just do what I told you to do." Individuals are no longer able to decorate their bedrooms as they like it. The new supervisor has thrown out a lot of personal items which made the individuals upset (understandably!!). And when those that had family asked about it, she stated "Oh, I don't know what havppened - staff must have accidently thrown it out!!" It's very frustrating. Also, new supervisor is trying to get rid of those individuals who might be "trouble" such those who have mobility problems and those with behavioral issues (which have increased drastically since she started because she makes them do things they don't want to do such as go on outings). Also, the company has started transferring staff who have been at residences for a long time and sending them to a new house saying that they don't want the employees to get "too comfortable." However, they do not take into consideration that the people who live in these houses sometimes have no family involvement and look at staff as their family. Moving staff is causing a lot of problems in the homes. HNNCSB also doesn't care how these moves are afftecting staff. They are making staff take positions that interfer with other aspects of life. For example, making a staff person who had a Sun - Wed morning shift position and moving them to a Wed - Sat evening shift position and not caring that this person has a second job. HNNCSB is not flexible - their position is "too bad, if you don't like it, you can leave."
    So my advice - if all you care about is pay and benefits, then HNNCSB is your place to work. But if you actually care about the people you service, than stay clear!

Advice to Management

You need to change. You are loosing good staff and you will lose more. If all you care about is the bottom line, then you need to get into a different line of work.

"HNNCSB - Employer of Choice in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia"

Current Employee - Treatment Coordinator in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Treatment Coordinator in Hampton, VA

Pros

Hampton-Newport News Community Services Board provides the following to their employees and the clients they serve:
    1. Being a premier provider of mental health services in so many different aspects. This helps the employees feel proud of what they do and how it improves the lives of the clients we serve.
    2. Finding ways to make employees feel valued -- most recent example: the implementation of eLearning so ALL employees can improve their professional/clinical skills at no cost.
    3. Good communication -- a dedicated website for all CSB employees; open lines of communication between all levels of management and line staff.

Cons

I have worked at HNNCSB for over 6 months now. I honestly can state that I don't see any serious downside to working for this organization. Like any organization in these economic times, budgetary concerns impact employees from time to time but does not compromise care to our clients. The only downside may be the number of programs and employees keeps us from knowing each other as much as we would like. But even then, there are employee functions/events to bring us all together such as the 4th of July picnic.

Advice to Management

Keep up the GREAT work and I am proud to work for such a quality organization.