Hampton Roads Transit Reviews | Glassdoor

William E. Harrell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sigh..."

I worked at Hampton Roads Transit full-time

Pros

To be honest, the only pro was the fully paid benefits. I can't really find another reason to work there.

Cons

Everything else... The management from the Assistant Director level and above was questionable and there was no loyalty to their employees with most of them. It was the most stressful work environment that I ever experienced. The level of back-stabbing, etc. was

Advice to Management

I have no advice except to stop running this organization like a "mom and pop" shop. There is no way that this organization will survive if they don't get it together.

2. "It"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Hampton Roads Transit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worse IT department ever. High turnovers . Always on call. Low pay .

Cons

Good co workers that try to stick together

Advice to Management

Look at your management and your HR department

3. "Looking to work there.."

Current Employee - Bus Operator in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Bus Operator in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Hampton Roads Transit (More than 10 years)

Pros

Been in transit for 20 years and they are growing. I want to be a part of that growth..

Cons

None.. I find no cons

Advice to Management

Hire me.

"It's not as bad as you have been told."

Former Employee - You Know Who in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - You Know Who in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Hampton Roads Transit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for the Technology department for about 4 months but a family situation pushed me to make an employment change. I have enjoyed every moment and every day in good and bad situations. I have learned more in those 4 months than I have in the prior year and all because I was challenged every time I was tasked to do something. I think it is an excellent place to expand your skills and grow professionally while having the opportunity to work with other talented people.
    If you do your work and be respectful of others, then your work won't be questioned and you'll gain respect back. Be professional and provide solutions instead of being childish and complain about the problems.

Cons

There are a lot of challenges that they are facing due to years of changes, technologies put in place and employees turn around, which have piled up. However, they are in the right direction to overcome them and have in place some great new minds who I think can turn this ship around. Because of this, the place can be a bit of a stress at times, which may cause some micromanagement here and there but believe me it is not as bad as some other folks are depicting it. Needs work but which business doesn't?? When milk spills on the floor, you don't complain about it forever. You clean it up right after and move on to other things. Get the picture?

Advice to Management

Don't burn your employees. Do fun events when possible and properly staff departments because without crew members you can't drive this boat alone.

"Don't be Fooled by 'Shining New IT Department' Crapola"

I worked at Hampton Roads Transit full-time

Pros

Some very good, professional coworkers

Cons

The paranoid, rude, unprofessional, emotionally out of control CTO is the ruination of the place. Just imagine being glued to a cell phone 24x7 oncall and being screeched at and emailed ALL NITE questioning why a UPS reported a power blip during a thunderstorm. This is what your life will be like in the HRT IT Department. Its the constant Blame Game from incompetent management - citing rules pulled out of the air as needed and written, posted nowhere. Massive, unprofessional tirades, yelling, bullying and NEVER an apology when found wrong. The 'Leader', and I use the word with a smirk couldn't manage a dog pound without participating in the fights. Her entire facade is made up of 'If I could only get good professional employees'. The problem is she wouldn't understand or be capable of professionalism if it slapped her face. The place is STRESS STRESS STRESS - you're ALWAYS wrong so Miss Incompetent can pretend she knows ANYTHING about IT. Think LONG and HARD about this advise before you consider making this mistake. STAY AWAY!

Advice to Management

Wake up & see why IT is a revolving door, why HRT is over budget! There was probably 5 million wasted in the IT department alone over the last couple years.

6. "Ehh"

I worked at Hampton Roads Transit full-time

Pros

Union member's are held to a higher code of conduct

Cons

Bosses are unfair and they play favorites.

7. "Watch your back"

Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Transportation Supervisor in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Hampton Roads Transit full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bus operators are the backbone

Cons

Management doesn't know what their doing

Advice to Management

Replace upper level managers

8. "HAMPTON ROADS TRANSIT"

Former Employee - Diesel Technician in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Diesel Technician in Hampton, VA

I worked at Hampton Roads Transit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, easy people to work with, supervisors were understanding, the work was never difficult to understand.

Cons

No body cared about the work they did. They only came in for their 8 hours and would leave. No pride in work.

9. "No Money To Be Made!!!"

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Hampton Roads Transit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros about this place is that it has a lot of talent. People have been here for 20 and 30 plus years and I don't see how they have positive attitudes. You can take your kids to ride bus, ferry or train for free.

Cons

Money is garbage. Maintenance supervisors make 45,000 a year. Each check was about 1300 dollars. That's not enough to pay my mortgage! Heaven forbid you take their benefits package, the pay would be less than that! Too much work and reports for little pay.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people!!!!!!! People will stay employed when they feel a challenge or when they are paid well. I felt neither. CEO doesn't know anyone by name. Have him come downstairs and say hi to someone every once in a while. Let the maintenance mechanics know they are appreciated!

10. "Maintenance Supervisor"

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Hampton Roads Transit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job is always available, good benefits, and great opportunity to gain experience

Cons

Low pay, company does not have dedicated funding so raises are almost non-existent, union employees run the company

Advice to Management

Hold people accountable for the job they are expected to do