Hanapin Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great atmosphere"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is very little internal competition.
    Lots of training potential
    Several ways to express new ideas to higher ups
    Low turnover
    great benefits and PTO
    Walking distance to downtown (great for walking to lunch)
    4.5 work week once approved by supervisor

Cons

Sometimes the clients can be a bit difficult, but there is a lot of support from coworkers to find solutions that can benefit the client.

Apr 3, 2017 – Talent & Culture Dept.

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your experience - glad to hear things are going well! Thank you for your contributions!

2. "Do Not Work Here"

I worked at Hanapin Marketing full-time

Pros

The education program is great for entry level employees

Cons

Very low pay, a lot of inappropriate behavior by management, management (above Associate Directors) engage in inappropriate behavior or are best friends so it's extremely click-y and unprofessional, the owner and management together create an environment that feels immature and generally insecure about the abilities and general performance of the agency, they make you sign a Non-Compete that restricts you from working in the agency world for 2 years in ANY location, if you do you will be threatened via email by their HR department, the sales team will sign any client that will pay at least one month of fees so this means the shady clients that get banned from Google for double serving etc., there is poor relationships between account managers and the sales team, the client comes first and if you loose a client you will be forced to have 2-3 'post mortem' conversations about it laboring over who/what to blame, they brag about hiring new ppl 'below budget',.....I was warned about this agency by a colleague (outside of Indiana) and I didn't listen.

"Really Cares about Employees"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work environment, benefits, egos of coworkers are checked at the door.

Cons

Performance marketing can at times be stressful, but the great team and management helps to ease the stress

Advice to Management

As we grow continue to be a presence among the office - Example HR & President continue to have open office hours.

Apr 3, 2017 – Talent & Culture Dept.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Continuing to be a presence in the office is important to us as we grow and scale operations - we'll work to keep it that way! Caring about employees, keeping... More

"Best Places to Work in Indiana!"

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing full-time

Pros

- flexible work schedule (4 and half day work week)
    - work from home opportunities
    - casual atmosphere with tight-knit coworkers
    - open executive team
    - lots of opportunities to make a difference
    - surrounded by tons of hard working, intelligent people!

Cons

- heavy work load
    - sometimes there's a lot of pressure

Advice to Management

Keep being open and honest with employees about Hanapin's successes and failures!

Apr 3, 2017 – Talent & Culture Dept.

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback - much appreciated! Glad to hear things are going well and we'll keep on keeping on with the same philosophies at our core, and adjusting to keep... More

"Production Associate"

Current Employee - Production Associate
    Current Employee - Production Associate

Pros

Hanapin has a great company culture. Team is really important to this company and it's evident from day one. With a high emphasis on feedback, Hanapin is always seeking to improve, which can be really helpful to the employees!

Cons

I honestly cannot think of any cons of working here.

Apr 3, 2017 – Talent & Culture Dept.

We love feedback! And we're glad you love our love of it! Positive, negative, or neutral, we want to hear employee ideas and thoughts. Thank you for taking advantage of our culture and appreciating... More

"Love My Job, Love My Company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bloomington, IN

Pros

If there is one thing truly remarkable about Hanapin it is their willingness to listen to feedback and adapt accordingly. Starting with my first day of training they were constantly asking my opinion on nearly every aspect of office life. Of course initially I was apprehensive as a new hire, but all of this employee feedback has led to improvements in work structure, PTO, sick policies, and even compensation.

Speaking of pay, admittedly some of the entry level jobs start you at a somewhat low salary. But honestly given the cheap cost of Bloomington, the truly awesome training regiment they put you through, and their benefit structure it all makes sense. Couple this with very competitive biannual compensation reviews and they get you to or above market value really fast(pending performance of course).

Last thing I want to highlight is the awesome work environment starting with interns and extending upward through top level management. My co-workers are supportive, energetic, and intelligent. The upper management has my back from day one to days end. Given the inherent stresses of agency life and client facing work, this is so vital.

Overall it is a great place to work. Supportive and challenging environment with a lot of unique benefits that make the "work/life" balance tagline possible.

Cons

Honestly I can't think of too many cons. Entry level jobs start with somewhat low pay, but it accelerates quickly and extremely fairly. There is tons of work to be done and at times can get pretty stressful, but there are so many outlets and resources provided that allow you to grow professionally.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employee feedback. I've witnessed so many positive improvements since I began working here, and there is no doubt that is largely thanks to a rockstar HR team and awesome management.

Apr 3, 2017 – Talent & Culture Dept.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and thorough review on Glassdoor. We really appreciate it! It seems like you have a strong appreciation for the tenets of our culture and... More

"Digital Marketing Production Associate"

Pros

Working at Hanapin was one of the best decisions that I've ever made. It's a fast growing company that truly cares about the well-being of it's employees. Although my time there was short, I learned a ton about the digital marketing industry. I also grew a lot as professional thanks to the support of my coworkers and the guidance of my assigned mentor.

Cons

Pay is relatively low during the first 6 months but you are entitled to bi-yearly compensation reviews that can result in substantial pay increases.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership is excellent. There's a reason why the company was selected as one of the best places to work in Indiana. The only thing that I would suggest changing is the initial compensation for entry level positions.

Apr 3, 2017 – Talent & Culture Dept.

Thank you for providing this feedback! Glad to hear your experience was positive. We'll make sure to continue to take care of this amazing team so that future hires can also say working here was one... More

"Great culture, Industry Experts, and definitely a "Best Place to Work""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Hanapin Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly knowledgeable employees from top to bottom. It truly is an agency of experts. The company culture is amazing; laid back yet serious about the quality of work, tons of benefits like a few three day weekends, and good PTO! It's clear there is a direction and plan for the company to grow and management is seeing it through!

Cons

Some technical difficulties make it frustrating to communicate sometimes as most of the office works from home multiple days per week. Large amount of remote workers around the country can sometimes cause meetings to feel sparse/empty or have minor technical difficulties. All in all, the pros definitely outweigh the cons in my opinion! Great place to work!

Advice to Management

There is a great open line of communication with management. I think they are directing this company somewhere, and do a great job interacting with employees!

Mar 4, 2016 – Talent & Culture Dept.

Thank you for this feedback! It is our goal to create a great place to work and we love that you feel this way!

Our technology will always be a work in progress as technology is an ever-changing... More

"Great company, great people!"

Pros

Hanapin is by far the best company I've had the opportunity to work for. From the coworkers, to management, to the overall direction of the company, it's truly a pleasure to work there. You're given every opportunity to succeed and it's a great place to grow in your career. People are supportive, caring, smart and work together.

Cons

Located in a small town, it can be more difficult to recruit high quality talent so filling positions takes longer than some other places.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing for employees and continue pushing the envelope to grow as a company. Also, continue to keep character as a high priority for potential employees. It truly makes a difference.

Mar 4, 2016 – Talent & Culture Dept.

Thank you for this feedback! It is one of our goals to create a great place to work and we are glad that you feel it.

We will continually try to source talent in advance of need dates. If we start... More

"Great employees and co-workers, some great policies, terrible management"

I worked at Hanapin Marketing full-time

Pros

- Most of the people who work here are awesome. Team players, eager to learn and grow.
    - Some policies are really great, and they've worked hard to provide a good work/life balance and intact policies that can make them a "best place to work", which they've won several years in a row.
    - They train from the ground up for a lot of positions, which is awesome and hard to find.
    - The opportunity this company provides to quickly grow your career in a fast-growing field for one of the top agencies in the field is really rare.

Cons

- REALLY innaproriate fraternization between managers and subordinates. To the degree of causing super high employee churn in some departments.
    - "bro"-like management culture. It's unprofessional and makes it so no managers are held accountable, since they're all best friends who vacation together.
    - Introspective to an exhausting fault. They are constantly probing and poking everything and changing rules and policies and introducing new procedures that it can impede work and make it hard to remember what policies to comply with.
    - Playing favorites amongst employees. If you don't mesh on a social-level with the managers, expect to never get recognition for your accomplishments or given the opportunities you're working for.
    - Gender-biased pay scales/ low pay. The CEO has told employees they could be fired for sharing salary information (which is illegal) but through talking to co-workers after hours, they generally underpay for work provided. However, the worst part is the gender-biased pay. Females can be paid 10-20k less than their male equals.

Advice to Management

You're doing a lot of "on the surface" thing to make Hanapin a best place to work, but try fixing some of the internal practices and structures mentioned in the cons section, here.

Mar 4, 2016 – Talent & Culture Dept.

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your balanced perspective and wish you had a better experience at Hanapin. I want to start by addresses your comments on compensation first, and then will... More