Hancock Fabrics Reviews | Glassdoor

Hancock Fabrics Reviews

Updated October 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great co-workers and great customers, worked there 26 years first 20 were great had understanding upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Benefits and employee discount as well as bonus sales program (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Designer Deals must make someone a big bonus because they harp on those all the time (in 26 reviews)

• Minimum wage starting rate makes it tough to keep employees (in 17 reviews)

"Prime example of bad corporate management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers were great. I learned a lot about my crafts and skills by being there everyday and helping customers with their projects

Cons

Understaffed, no breaks, I was not paid properly. Upper management lied to my face and HR was incompetent. Stressful working environment. Unrealistic expectations of staff with no support.

Advice to Management

If your going to run a fabric store, you should know how to do so properly. Listen to your employees because they are the ones that have daily contact with your customers

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Champaign, IL

Pros

The people I worked with were great

Cons

Company has closed all stores due to bankrupcy.

"Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting customers and coworkers, and before going out of business, fair employee discounts.

Cons

Management of this store never kept the same schedule so it was impossible to plan anything and very difficult to work another job. They only hire part time, and I discovered that they paid male employees with no product knowledge or sewing experience more than well qualified female employees. Also tended to understaff at busy times

Advice to Management

Better scheduling, fair pay practices should be implemented

"Not surprised"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time

Pros

I met a lot of creative ladies that helped me with my projects. Most of the ladies were vey nice and I'm still friends with some today.

Cons

There are so many that I don't know where to start. The pay was ridiculously low for what assistant managers were expected to do, they expected you NOT to go over your work hours for the week but then told you they expected certain things to be done which forced you to work off the clock, we always worked with a skeleton crew and customers complained all the time for the wait yet the company always told us that we needed to do better at serving our customers, we would get hundreds of boxes delivered each week and they expected us to have it all put away within 2 days, the list could go on but you get the point. I'm not surprised they're out of business! They never listened to their employees when someone tried to give their opinion. They received a lot of the same suggestions but never believed they were good enough or thought they wouldn't work.

Advice to Management

Well this is not necessary now but had they actually used some of our suggestions, maybe things would be different.

5. "Great for retirees & students"

Former Employee - Store Clerk in Yukon, OK
    Former Employee - Store Clerk in Yukon, OK

I worked at Hancock Fabrics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my store manager and her attention to customer care. We had a less metropolitan location but still busy for a smaller suburb. Learning retail in this setting was both rewarding and easier on the psyche.

Cons

The room to grow within the company was limited. It could have been the market or store itself. However I felt appreciated even if I only got 12 hours of work in a week.

Advice to Management

Engage the younger generation in crafting, sewing, drafting and services offered locally. I think the abikity to draw the newest generation to the store.

6. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Gretna, LA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Gretna, LA

Pros

Good pay, or decent pay I should say

Cons

not enough help, or hours to cover any shifts

7. "Supervisor"

Pros

Keeps you busy, keeps you thinking, customers and co-workers were nearly all wonderful to work with

Cons

Hard manual labor (heavy bolts and boxes, on your feet all day, I got tennis elbow from lifting bolts) for minimum wage plus a tiny increment for taking huge responsibility.

Advice to Management

Still... sad it went out of business

8. "Company closed"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Wichita, KS

I worked at Hancock Fabrics (More than a year)

Pros

It was a fun and fast pace job

Cons

The company closed this year

Advice to Management

N/A

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Creativity with customers, excellent customer service, stock full, clean store, flexible schedule as long as you work your required hours

Cons

Long work hours, demanding lifting that's why I always hired guys to do the truck. Trucks start in September for the holidays

Advice to Management

Watch financials at Corp

"Good days, not so good days"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Hancock Fabrics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First company to give me an opportunity to advance. I got to work with textiles, which I love and made close friends with several coworkers. Great employee discount.

Cons

Little to no training, defective worn out equipment and fixtures, most people hadn't had a raise in 3 years when the company was liquidated. Constant pressure to sell Designer Deals and monthly contest items.