Hancock and Whitney Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hancock and Whitney Bank President & CEO John M. Hairston
John M. Hairston

Pros
  • Great benefits, friendly staff and good pay (in 5 reviews)

• 2 weeks paid vacation starting out, even for part time employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management either doesn't know about the problems or they just don't care (in 5 reviews)

• there are no cons that i can think of (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great people. Great company."

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Gulfport, MS
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Gulfport, MS

I have been working at Hancock and Whitney Bank full-time

Pros

I recently interviewed with Hancock and Whitney Bank. Don't know if I have the job yet, however, great group of friendly people who are focused on hiring top talent. Everyone from the recruiter to the top executives seemed genuine, happy to work there and eager to make the whole process pleasant for potential candidates. First class organization with first class people.

Cons

Only cons appear to be some of the negative reviews about the bank being focused on "selling". Seems a little silly because it is after all a business that is focused on growth and stability, which in-turn benefits the employee and the community where they work.

Advice to Management

Stay on current course of being an aggressive, friendly and family-oriented institution.

"The Secret Key to Success"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

I worked at Hancock and Whitney Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you know someone in a high place within this organization you can write your own ticket and never lift a finger! If the world comes to an end, there is an executive bunker capable of withstanding an F4 tornado just north of I10 (main Gulfport exit, near splash island) available to a chosen few. Whitney Bank used to have a really nice big-game hunting preserve, but we had to sell it before I was able to make the trip. It's been a while, but when I was there, I was able to use the company's offshore sport fishing yacht to "entertain clients" but they never let me use the jet. (That was pretty much reserved for John & Carl.) If you hang around the right people long enough, it becomes very easy to "say the right things" in order to appear as though you know what you're talking about, but none of us really had a clue (nor did we care) about what was really going on. So long as our share price met/beat expectations, we could play. This is also the luckiest company alive, we got a pile of money after Katrina which allowed us to purchase People's First Community Bank just a couple of years after the storm. When everything collapsed, we were flush with cash and went a little crazy, but we would be idiots to turn down the loss share agreement we got? (way better than the Guarantee National deal.) Immediately after P1, we "acquired" Whitney National Bank (thank you Suntrust) and almost lost our shirts. Thankfully we came to our senses and brought in McKinsey and Co. The BP money started flowing around the same time and it really helped. This allowed us to get through cutting 1/2 of the company's headcount. The jerks at Whitney sold us on a bill of goods (we hated the Whitney people and they hated us; still do) and buried us in a 1.7B (yup B) upstream oil portfolio back when oil was trading at 100 barel, with a break even of 40. When oil tanked, so did we (thanks Whitney) and we had to cut deep once again. The good thing is that there were plenty of people in retail and middle management to cushon the fall. (What do you mean you can't hit your unrealistic golas? LOL! Gone.) We sold off our insurance shop along with a few branches, combined regions and expanded the remaining middlemanegers' responsibilities. (At least you still have a job. Now thank me for doubling your workload, and no, you will not receive any additional compensation. If you went to college, you would have more options wouldn't you?) The best part of all was when I left. I essentially paid myself (an effing fortune) to leave. I almost felt bad for all of the poor dumb saps who "couldn't believe they would do me like that, after all of my years of service". Yes, I really want to connect on LinkedIn, whatever will I do now? Tards!

Cons

Dodd Frank and the CFPB have really become a pain in the butt! Along with FDIC auditors and those jerks over at Zacks telling the world that we're going to post earnings WAY above anything we could ever pull off. This is Mississippi, we're not exactly known for our business and financial acumen.

Advice to Management

Go ahead and pull the trigger on the First NBC Bank deal and bring Carl back. Chase may still be in the market, and if not, there's always PNC.

"Like most bank's today - SELL SELL SELL"

Former Employee - Teller IV in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Teller IV in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Hancock and Whitney Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours, comfortable environment, really great coworkers, respectable job

Cons

The sales pressure is tremendous, and when I was there at least, the products just weren't that good. Lousy fees on checking accounts, out-dated Christmas accounts, and avaricious investment contractors.

Advice to Management

Improve your baseline products to ease selling and remove some sales pressure from teller staff

"Decent Benefits"

Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Gulfport, MS
    Former Employee - Financial Services Associate in Gulfport, MS

I worked at Hancock and Whitney Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's a relatively large company, so there is potential for movement within the company.
    It have a long history of over 100 years in business.
    Jobs are somewhat stable.
    The benefits are about as generic as any other company.

Cons

The company has a tendency to fire those who have been with the company for over 15 years.
    They don't pay what you're worth; if they can get cheap labor from you, YOU'RE HIRED!

Advice to Management

You should really VALUE the employees you have, especially those who work for the company for extended periods of time (over 10 years). If employees are willing to stick around for that length of time, then you should show some appreciation.

"Liars and cheats"

Former Employee - Senior Bank Teller in Gulfport, MS
    Former Employee - Senior Bank Teller in Gulfport, MS

I worked at Hancock and Whitney Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to work for this company

Cons

They lie and cheat their employees. The employees are nothing but a number to them.

Advice to Management

Get some BALLS and fight for the good employees that you have.

"Financial Services Associate"

Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Services Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Hancock and Whitney Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and benefit package.

Cons

Software outdated on teller and sales platform. Too many manual processes that slow production. Pay scale is lower than comparable banks.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with branch personnel.

8. "teller"

Former Employee - Associate Teller in Houma, LA
    Former Employee - Associate Teller in Houma, LA

I worked at Hancock and Whitney Bank (More than a year)

Pros

easy going, hours, vacation, insurance

Cons

pay, only 30 minutes for lunch

"Most unorganized company in banking"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Hancock and Whitney Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lower level management is aware the many issues and seem to genuinely care although nothing is ever corrected.

Cons

Upper management either doesn't know about the problems or they just don't care. We are given goals comparable to Chase, BOA etc. but no tools to succeed.

Advice to Management

Walk a day in our shoes and fix the issues so we can all be more productive.

10. "Relationship Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Hancock and Whitney Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Opportunities for advancement
    Strong position within the community
    Generally good clientele
    Good reputation (in many cases)
    Longstanding history
    High level of autonomy

Cons

Status-oriented and hierarchal
    Every man for himself environment
    Clumsy management decisions
    Incompetent middle-management
    Inability to anticipate or weather regulatory changes
    Inconsistent competence of sales team
    Very slow to adopt new technology
    Arbitrary incentive structure

Advice to Management

Weed out toxic/ incompetent employees
    Develop a very clear vision and keep employees abreast of this plan
    Either eliminate sales incentive structure or maintain one that is consistent and appropriate

11. "Financial Rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hattiesburg, MS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hattiesburg, MS

Pros

Great benefits, friendly staff and good pay

Cons

have to work late hours in collections and almost every weekend

Advice to Management

learn new ways to manage collections to make it easier on your employees that work at your smaller Branch Harrison Finance