Hand and Stone Spa Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Hand and Stone Spa President and CEO Todd Leff
Todd Leff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast pace work, repeat clients, and a all around good work environment (in 20 reviews)

• Flexible schedule where I worked (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • No Benefits or opportunity for advancement (in 32 reviews)

• Therapists are not given enough time to properly clean hot stones in between back to back sessions yet pressured to stay on time for next client (in 13 reviews)

"Awesome company"

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time

Pros

Great incentives and goal oriented

Cons

Fast pace environment not great for lazy people

Oct 25, 2017 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! How wonderful that you have found a fulfilling career and exceptional environment! Glad to have you!

2. "Stressful"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lots of new experiences, fast-paced

Cons

lack of training for managers

Advice to Management

give more time and training to managers and make sure you are fully staffed at the front desk

3. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Happy Valley, OR
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Happy Valley, OR

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full Benefits, good pay scale, extra for upgrades and requests

Cons

Pace is hectic as there is only 5 minutes between clients , Alot is expected of you in terms of extra work without additional pay. You are not paid extra for example to clean your room or your hot stones or Himalayan stones. it all comes out of your Massage time income.

Advice to Management

Curb the gossip , create a positive work environment, When the costs of treatments go up substantially then also increase wages and pay your people for all their extra work.

Feb 19, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you are having a good experience. Perhaps it may be productive to speak with the manager or owner, they may have some thoughts or advice that may address some... More

4. "It’s ok for a starter position but the flat rate per service is low."

Current Employee - Esthetician in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will have clients even when starting out sometimes.
    There are online classes for product and Dermalogica classes are free. Skin care product is discounted for estheticians.

Cons

They want to you sit there for no money hourly even when you have no clients. The expectation to do side work for no pay is not kosher.
    Micromanagement is high.

Advice to Management

Team building, having a microwave and a place to sit down in the break room would help.
    Allowing less micro managing is helpful for morale.
    Commission pay only sensitivity is a help. Turning the AC on when it is hot is a must.

Feb 9, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. The product lines and education are definately fantastic! Perhaps it may be productive to speak with the manager or owner, they may have some thoughts or advice that may... More

5. "Inconsistency is not key."

Former Employee - Manager in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Manager in Carmel, IN

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounted spa services and retail products

Cons

Inconsistent management
    Promises of a "bonus structure" that is always "in the works"
    Frequent last minute schedule changes
    Owners watch the cameras ALL DAY LONG which I understand for security reasons or to just make sure the staff is doing their job but these specific owners were obsessive and it would interrupt our work. I would be ringing out a transaction checking out a guest and the owner would call me in the middle of it and remind me to offer a gift card sale (which I'd already done). Then she'd call back again and remind me to re book her appointment (which I'd already done)
    No communication between the back and front of the house.

Advice to Management

Train your employees well and trust that they are doing their job. Of course if there is a lack of performance address it, but don't be so overbearing that if an associate is doing their job correctly you still jump in and disrupt the interaction with the customer.

Feb 9, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that your experience was not exceptional. I understand some of your concerns regarding micromanagement. Please know, each franchise is individually owned, there... More

"Masasge Therapist"

Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist
    Current Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great support from staff, good place to start out as a massage therapist

Cons

Same cons that are standard throughout the industry. Some periods are slower than others. Seems like it would make a better supplemental job than serving as a main source of income.

Advice to Management

Stay on top of ordering supplies when running low. Try to be present more often in the spa.

Jan 17, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I'm happy to hear that you have had a great experience. Perhaps it may be productive to speak with the manager, they may have some thoughts or advice that may address... More

"Esthetician"

Current Employee - Esthetician in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great marketing and continuous walk in traffic. Easy to build a clientele.

Cons

Below Fair pay, they take your commission if you don't convert customers into members. No paid time off, hard to get a day off at all. No health insurance or any benefit package.

Jan 22, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I'm happy to hear that you have been an esthetician with Hand and Stone for so long! Perhaps it may be productive to speak with the manager or owners regarding your... More

"Bad management"

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time

Pros

Steady clients, materials provided, hydraulic tables. All you need to do is walk in and work. All marketing and advertising done at the corporate level.

Cons

Constant turn over at this location, especially at the front desk. We stopped learning their names, that's how frequently they left and were replaced. At this location management is secretive, discourages team work, will listen to all conversations throughout spa. Owners rarely on site and when there, hide in office. Disrespectful of talent and skill sets of therapists. View spa as a membership club and that's all that matters, even with clients. Clients complain, management does nothing. Neither does corporate, actually. Flawed company from top down.

Advice to Management

Be present, on site, and active in your business. Stop trusting your unqualified manager to run your business for you. Be respectful of employees and incentivize them to work harder for you, not just halfheartedly follow along with corporate contests. Paid days off, vacation time, better health coverage would be valued. Increase the base service pay and increase abilities to earn more money.

Feb 19, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that your experience was not exceptional. I understand some of your concerns regarding turnover and overall respect. I wonder if you had tried to contact anyone... More

9. "No."

Former Employee - SPA Associate in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - SPA Associate in Exton, PA

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can’t think of any.

Cons

Where do I begin? Management has absolutely no idea what they are doing and neither does the owner. They do not treat the employees with respect and do not know how to address situations appropriately. I was only there for a short while, maybe four months? And from the day I started there was drama. They can’t afford to lose employees but the employees they kept are helping tear this place down. Management only cares about selling memberships, but none of our current members could even get in for an appointment. Do not ever work here.

Advice to Management

Grow up and actually look at what is important. Learn how to speak to your customers and employees. The respect you give is the respect you will get in return. There is so much more I need to say but this will have to do.

Feb 19, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that your experience was not exceptional. Please know, each franchise is individually owned, there may be an alternate location that may be better suited for... More

10. "Best wishes"

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time

Pros

If it's busy enough you can make some decent money.

Cons

At the location I work at there seems to be an issue with letting the employees know how much they make per service. Also some paranoia from owner thinking everyone is there to sabotage his business. Have camera with audio in the break room to spy on the employees. And a host of other issues.

Advice to Management

Get some experienced professional to manage your store.

Jan 15, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you are not having a great experience. Perhaps it may be productive to speak with the manager or owner about your concerns, your compensation is important... More