Hand and Stone Spa Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Hand and Stone Spa President and CEO Todd Leff
Todd Leff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work environment (very peaceful and calm)" (in 22 reviews)

• "Flexible schedule where I worked" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "low pay, no benefits, little to no lateral movement in the company" (in 38 reviews)

• "pay isn't the best, back to back clients no time in-between for a breather" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Would love to work there again!"

Former Employee - LMT in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - LMT in Orlando, FL

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time

Pros

I would still be working at the Lake Nona location if I had not moved out of state. I loved working with everyone. The Owners take great pride in the Spa and it showed. I felt that Management and the Owners were very easy to approach and talk to. In my time there, nearly two and half years, I never had a problem with them or any LMT or LE. If ever a client was trying to take advantage of the membership or anything the owners had no problem informing the client that they were no longer welcome at this location. Not that this happened often, but knowing that it was not all about the money for them, that it was about creating safe and positive work place for employee's and other clients is amazing and rare. Knowing they had our back made it easier to do my job.

Cons

Gratuity sometimes would not be that great. Not that the front desk wouldn't ask the client, there was even a cute rating chart at each register with a suggested dollar amount based of experience and type of service that I think helped a lot, because some people just don't know what to leave. It wasn't often that you'd get a not so great gratuity, but still on occasion it happened. I don't really have any other cons for this location. On occasion there would be issues with the washer, but that was quickly dealt with. If anything broke or we needed more towels, or replace anything it was brought to the attention of management and/or owners and they were quick to respond.

Advice to Management

I don't have much to say here. For my experience I felt management did a great job. Whenever I had a question or needed anything they were there for me. I guess my advice would be don't forget to take care of yourself too ;) . From what I observed our management was constently brainstorming on ways to improve and keep the spa a fun,happy, and enjoyable place to be, not only for clients but for the team as well.

Jul 18, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! It sounds like you had great owners, I'm sure they miss you as well! It's refreshing when things work well and the staff is valued!

"Enjoyed the job and most of my coworkers."

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Carol Stream, IL
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Carol Stream, IL

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Busy spa. Not a lot of sitting around. Contests to win cash prizes.

Cons

Had some staff who called out a lot and that put pressure on the rest of the staff..

Advice to Management

Hire more LMTs.

Jul 24, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad you enjoyed your experience. I believe most spas would love to hire more LMT's.

3. "Fantastic"

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time

Pros

Great place to work, good compensation for selling memberships

Cons

pay is low, not much room for growth

4. "Would not recommend"

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time

Pros

Decent pay for job and great coworkers.

Cons

Money hungry owners, don’t understand that the employees are their greatest asset. There was also a lack of management, some issues weren’t addressed. When they let people go, they often make up reasons on why they are being let go.

5. "Spa Manager"

Current Employee - SPA Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - SPA Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Varies depends on the franchisee owner you work for. Corporate can be very helpful.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a challenge, but this does depend on the franchise owner you work for

Advice to Management

Know that your employees are your biggest asset.

6. "Great Place"

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time

Pros

It is an overall comfortable job, a lot of customer interaction.

Cons

There are ups and downs to every mangement system. But they seem to go through a lot of front desk people often. They also do not pay as well attention to things they should about the front desk people.

Aug 17, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad you are enjoying the client interaction, as service providers this is incredibly important! I will agree that the front desk management is equally as important... More

7. "Licensed Massage Therapist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is relatively decent especially with add-on services, some light selling actually helped me build confidence in sales in the massage room to show how the customer can benefit from add-ons. Clients were friendly and awesome, the owner is friendly and pretty hands-on with the business, especially for a franchise owner.

Cons

Rate and pace of work way too fast for me. And asking for therapists to come in extra hours by text message, initially which turned into notifications of open availability on the facebook group.

Advice to Management

15-minute time slot differences would be more reasonable.

Aug 6, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! I am super excited that you were able to build confidence by selling add-ons. It is a great way to educate your clients and turn them into repeat clientele. Perhaps it... More

8. "Licensed Massage Therapist"

Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Peachtree City, GA
    Former Employee - Licensed Massage Therapist in Peachtree City, GA

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is great. Always helpful and accommodating. If you need a day off they are great about that. The treat you like you are a person and not just a worker. I needed some of my previous checks and they got them to me ASAP. Co- workers are like family. They open and close on time. The front desk is very trustworthy with tips and they help get your room set up if your running late and mostly everyday. You get repeat clients.

Cons

Tips Suck!!!! Pay is like any other spa $17 average. If you have experience $19 max. That isn't enough money for me to live comfortably.

Advice to Management

Dust more often

Aug 6, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! It sounds like you had a decent experience at that location. Sometimes clients tip based on what they can afford and it does not always reflect the quality of the service... More

9. "Plano"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My books were always full. Owner always tried to do something special for employees. Owner went out of her way to have type of oil or cream you wanted.

Cons

Had to demand a break. Have to be lead in order to make decent pay. Found about CEs after the class were over.

Jul 30, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! It sounds like you worked at a very busy spa, with attentive owners. Sometimes dialogue with management and/or owners can prove to be beneficial when concerned about... More

"Sales associate"

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work atmosphere, really hands on caring manager, owners, and regional management, owners and coorporate always promote friendly comptition and coworkers always encourage each other and push each other to do better and learn and go the extra mile

Cons

normal customer service complaints, clients can be aggressive and rude. very entitled. makes the spa moral go down. pay structure isnt beneficial to employees who have been with the company long term.

Jul 24, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad you are enjoying your experience. Company culture is important and it seems as though you value that as well. Customer service does present a few challenges now... More