Hand and Stone Spa Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Hand and Stone Spa President and CEO Todd Leff
Todd Leff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexible schedule where I worked" (in 23 reviews)

• "Great work environment (very peaceful and calm)" (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "low pay, no benefits, little to no lateral movement in the company" (in 38 reviews)

• "pay isn't the best, back to back clients no time in-between for a breather" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Would love to work there again!"

Former Employee - LMT in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - LMT in Orlando, FL

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time

Pros

I would still be working at the Lake Nona location if I had not moved out of state. I loved working with everyone. The Owners take great pride in the Spa and it showed. I felt that Management and the Owners were very easy to approach and talk to. In my time there, nearly two and half years, I never had a problem with them or any LMT or LE. If ever a client was trying to take advantage of the membership or anything the owners had no problem informing the client that they were no longer welcome at this location. Not that this happened often, but knowing that it was not all about the money for them, that it was about creating safe and positive work place for employee's and other clients is amazing and rare. Knowing they had our back made it easier to do my job.

Cons

Gratuity sometimes would not be that great. Not that the front desk wouldn't ask the client, there was even a cute rating chart at each register with a suggested dollar amount based of experience and type of service that I think helped a lot, because some people just don't know what to leave. It wasn't often that you'd get a not so great gratuity, but still on occasion it happened. I don't really have any other cons for this location. On occasion there would be issues with the washer, but that was quickly dealt with. If anything broke or we needed more towels, or replace anything it was brought to the attention of management and/or owners and they were quick to respond.

Advice to Management

I don't have much to say here. For my experience I felt management did a great job. Whenever I had a question or needed anything they were there for me. I guess my advice would be don't forget to take care of yourself too ;) . From what I observed our management was constently brainstorming on ways to improve and keep the spa a fun,happy, and enjoyable place to be, not only for clients but for the team as well.

Jul 18, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! It sounds like you had great owners, I'm sure they miss you as well! It's refreshing when things work well and the staff is valued!

2. "Great place"

Current Employee - SPA Associate in Bedford, NH
    Current Employee - SPA Associate in Bedford, NH

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are wonderful. Everyone has made me feel appreciated and my suggestions have been listened to with respect and appreciation. Spa associates would find themselves learning important skills such as sales and office work. It’s easy to bring a positive attitude to work everyday and I feel like the owner and team actually care about me and not just my sales or production like I’ve experienced in the past.

Cons

Sometimes in a growing business you have to be flexible.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Your making the chain look good

Sep 18, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! I'm sure your positive attitude is noticed and appreciated by co-workers and clients! It's great to hear that you are having a wonderful experience.

"Front desk"

Former Employee - SPA Associate in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - SPA Associate in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free massage or facial each month, managers are great (some) therapist and esti are also great

Cons

Don’t get paid nearly enough to deal with the crazy clients and the amount of work we do so people aren’t motivated to do more than the bare minimum. If you don’t sell memberships the owners think it’s the end of the world.

Advice to Management

Pay better

Oct 15, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! In any business, you will encounter challenges with clients and employee motivation. We like to hear about your experiences so we can continue to improve.

4. "The Manager is the worst and Clueless, worst communication skills!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work a flexible schedule and the workers have a good dynamic is what keeps you going. You can make alot of money but lately so SLOW. Corporate is good they care and what you to succeed and follow everything.

Cons

Manager has the worst communication skills but of course it comes from the owner. Does not communicate with the Leads or the Spa Associates. I see how the desk is run. The Spa Associates are not properly trained by the Manager. Constantly need to tell the girls what to do in the system and watch them. Even the easy stuff some of them dont know. Some of them are really good. You can see the morale is very low. I saw one of the best workers leave and had the most clientele and referred alot of clients to the m.t.s. I feel like this place will never be the same. She really gave us so much advice and how to talk to clients, retain clients and motivate us no matter what mood we were in she always had a smile. She had us on our feet to keep us going. Clients complain cause there is no manager at night. The front desk girls sometimes the new ones do not know how to handle customer situations because they are not properly trained. I feel bad for them. It is really not their fault. Usually one of the leads would diffuse the situation and solve it where the client was satisfied.

Advice to Management

FIRE YOUR MANAGER have more meetings or have a suggestion box. Why does the best worker leave for no apparent reason. We all feel abandoned and down and its slow. I feel this place is going to go downhill. You really made a decision you will regret.

Oct 18, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! I can understand your frustration. There are ebbs and flows to every business, you have some good ideas though. Perhaps you can have a conversation with the owner and... More

5. "LMT"

Current Employee - LMT in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - LMT in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Owners seem genuine and seem to care for their employees

Cons

Not flexible with hours, blocks of time

Advice to Management

Take care of employees

Oct 8, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! It seems as though you feel that the owners care about the employees, that leads me to believe that they would be receptive to a conversation regarding time management... More

6. "Spa Attendant Front Desk Agent"

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time

Pros

Great family of coworkers, mostly peaceful work place.

Cons

Pay was low, advancement is slim to nil.

Advice to Management

Train better for less of a revolving door effect on front desk associates.

Oct 3, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad you enjoyed the environment and your co-workers. There actually is quite a bit of advancement opportunities within the company, and most employees have the... More

7. "Spa Associate"

Current Employee - SPA Associate in Feasterville Trevose, PA
    Current Employee - SPA Associate in Feasterville Trevose, PA

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Commission on membership sales
    Great Staff
    Welcoming and friendly environment

Cons

Short staffed: need more Spa Associates.

Oct 1, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your experience. It seems like you are a positive and hardworking individual, qualities that will make you successful as a spa... More

"Love this place."

Current Employee - SPA Associate in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - SPA Associate in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ongoing education that Hand & Stone offers through Hand & Stone University, ClarityRx Clinical Skincare, and Dermalogica is fantastic. Since working at this company (Jan 2017) I've attended multiple classes and webinars and gained a lot of information on products and sales tactics. I also like that you are in control of your pay. As an associate, the more memberships you sell, the more money you make/hour. For each month to month membership that you sell, you get paid $10. So say you're hourly pay is $10. If you sell a membership for every hour you're working, you've technically made $20/hour. I think it's a great tool to encourage SA's to sell memberships and be in control of their pay at the same time.

Cons

The only downsides I would have to say about working for Hand & Stone would be that it's individually owned (franchise) so each location has a different set of owners. I've been fortunate enough to have amazing owners, but I couldn't imagine working for owners who were the complete opposite of who I work for now.

Advice to Management

Keep working to make this place a fun place to work .

Sep 24, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad you are having an enjoyable experience. You are correct, each spa is individually owned, but the spa experience and company culture should be consistent in all... More

9. "Loved my time at Hand and Stone Carmel"

Former Employee - SPA Associate in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - SPA Associate in Carmel, IN

I worked at Hand and Stone Spa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer you flexible hours and good pay even if your only a part-time Employee
    The owners are understanding and supportive in promoting you. They really care about their staff and it showed

Manager is committed to her staff and she is understanding.
    Healthy work environment and good work-life balance.
    Lots of fun parties and team bonding.

Cons

Not many. I really liked it here.
    Keep doing what you are doing, you have a happy and nice staff that lives working here

Advice to Management

Thanks for a such positive experience. I was sad to leave the team but was returning to full-time school. I definitely miss all the staff and the good energy. I will definitely come back and try to work here again when I have more time on my hands.

Sep 24, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad you had such a positive experience. Good luck in school, I am sure you would be welcomed back should you find the time.

10. "Loved it"

I have been working at Hand and Stone Spa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible and cares about employees

Cons

Hand and stone Sometimes lacks communication

Sep 20, 2018 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad you are having a decent experience. Adequate communication is so very important, perhaps you might want to address your concern with the manager or owner. I'm... More