Handy Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated March 13, 2019

New York City, NY Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Handy rating system need improvement" (in 47 reviews)

• "THE WORST customer service ever" (in 43 reviews)

"We're all sitting ducks"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

We get to listen to the CEO talk about how the company is doing such great things for the world every day while he simultaneously plans the next mass firing of employees.

Cons

This place is dark. They can't hold on to a single manager or VP for more than a year. They all leave, and not for a better offer necessarily, but to work anywhere else but Handy. It's clear that no one can work with the CEO and he could care less about the people that made this company what it is. (Unless you went to HBS..they can do no wrong)

So many new senior managers come in with a high spirit, "I'm-going-to-turn-this-place-around" attitude and then slowly but surely find out that there's nothing they can do because the CEO refuses to give up control.

Compensation is so bad. Bonuses are given to a select few. It's someone's full time job right now to automate their own responsibilities so that they can get laid off. They're called Operations Associates.

There is zero room for growth. None.

Advice to Management

You've already been given advice. And then those people left because you couldn't deliver.

"Horrible Company To Work For"

Current Contractor - Cleaner in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Create your own schedule (to a certain extent)
    payment tiers- maintain a good rating & job count your $/hr increases
    Most of the customers are really nice and they tip

Cons

They do not tell you the exact job bookings start or end instead they reserve extra time on your schedule that you do not get paid for... for example tell tell you a job could be 2-3 not its 2hours or 3hours so you sit around wasting the time they did not need you.

TIME FRAME NOT EXACT TIME IS NOT OKAY

They do not tell you the neighborhoods you will be working in... instead the say Central Brooklyn or Central Queens.

They do not release job details until last minute so you really don't get to pack adequate supplies.

Advice to Management

You think of this job as supplemental to our income but for some of us it is not. The people book many jobs on the portals are the ones that care about pleasing the customers. We cannot live of booing 2- 2 hour jobs a day. We work hard to please the customers but you do not give us respect nor treat us fairly. TELL US THE EXACT TIME OF THE BOOKINGS NOT THE TIME FRAME.

"Best. Job Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, co-workers are amazing, great culture and great set of values, all of which is reflected in their workings with clients throughout the operations process.

Cons

The last couple years the company has changed. Anyone here longer than a couple years has seen it. Our leadership team does an incredible job of navigating through change. I personally love new challenges. It pushes me to be my best and always improving.

Advice to Management

Happy employees equal happy customers. Remember who got you to this point in the company's success. If you leave them behind, you will melt into just another solar company fading into the background of this saturated market.

"Leave while you still can"

Current Employee - Web Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Web Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers, good office location, occasional happy hours. Lots of great coffee places in the area. It's a great way to catch up with coworkers and talk about which jobs you're applying for externally.

Cons

It's not good, my friends. People are leaving left and right, senior management included. And they all skipped on their way out the elevator (Right next to the senior management table where they watch as you leave before them every evening).

People don't get paid enough. It's so beyond the point of insulting that employees have given up on the fight and instead apply for other jobs.

Advice to Management

Give the company to someone that knows how to treat people. Seriously. No one will blame you.

"RATING"

Current Contractor - Cleaner in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy as a contractor

Pros

Just the making your own hours and days to work and the pay is okay too

Cons

The rating system is not fair to the contactor using the handy platform

Advice to Management

please stop using the rating because there way too many flaws with that alone including the fact that customer cancelled a lot on short notice and that can also affect rating as well and the customer might ask for something that not in the handy package which we explain to them in the must respectful way and they can say they understand but then give you a bad rating after the job is done so please stop using that rating its not fair to us

"A Great Concept with Poor Execution"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I meet good people, see a lot of cool places I wouldn't otherwise visit and the schedule is flexible when all things work in unison.

Cons

Where do I begin? The concept of on demand cleaning may have been a great one but the flaws in the system are consistent. The most obvious flaw in Handy's system is that fact that there are no detailed explanations of what a customer can expect. This causes a cleaner to walk into an apartment and not know what to expect. I don't know anyone who can properly clean an oven in 30 minutes. We don't do closet organization but clothes all over the floor are expected to be hung. They must be removed before I can clean the floor. There is always extra tasks to perform and you must do these things in the two hours.

Clients can expect 'surface cleaning' which could mean every visible space in the room or it could mean accessible space. I've been shown tasks that are often more demanding than usual and there is no way to rectify the situation other than telling the customer to book more time or telling them that I do not have the time to do it.
    Handy should have did some research on house cleaning expectations before making the workers adhere to these demands.

Customer almost NEVER report that they have pets (often more than one) and mold is considered to be something that should be scrubbed out of the tub even though Handy does state they do not do mold removal. Disappoint the customer, get poor ratings and your pay rate drops. It seems as if that $22 pay rate is imaginary as I've normally gotten high reviews but never seem to make it right before my rate would increase. It seems to be a metrics number in favor of the owners of Handy. We have no information about reviews, so we cannot improve or debate an issue with a customer. Customers are able to flag us and give poor ratings on a whim.

There is no human to speak to and no way to escalate an issue with the Handy portal. For this to be an application based job board I am amazed at the frequency in which the portal malfunctions. I have been flagged for no shows and sent to the wrong address, I have been reported late and refused entry to apartments. I follow the instructions and email the issue and still get flagged. Everything that goes wrong while on an assignment will somehow be shifted to your own doing.

I've often had to email an issue to Handy support only to have a response sent back that has nothing to do with the initial inquiry. I have read, in details, the instructions offered in the support tab of the app and there are a few things that are inconsistent. If you follow one set of guidelines, you may be flagged and they charge you money for flags and threaten your access to the platform. If you defend yourself by pointing out conflicting information they will end the conversation with "that's our decision', there is no process, neutrality or, fairness in their determinations.

The app 'conveniently' books future appointments for first time customers which means you'll be faced with lots of hostile, and annoyed clients or clients who have no idea why you are at their door. Handy expects you to text message communicate with a client in order to have proof of the situation. Sometimes angry customers who are being bothered unexpectedly refuse to answer texts. Sometimes you cannot get in to an apartment (because they didn't hire your services and aren't expecting you) and you will be required to check in and wait and check out only to find out that the application somehow didn't register your location. So basically if a customer doesn't complain, you get paid, but when they do, you don't whether you worked or not.

Very peculiar and frustrating to deal with.

Advice to Management

Allow the cleaners to leave notes on the customers accounts. Why are the cleaners not better informed so that they can offer better service? Extend the time is takes to clean additional items. Clearly require a customer to state whether or not they have pets (cleaners may be allergic and it's a health issue). Allow cleaners to know where they are going more than two hours ahead of time. You demand punctuality yet do not consider how large of an area a Metropolitan city can be.

Allow a person a strict pay rate based on their time with Handy and not on something arbitrary like a customer rating when there is incentive for customers to complain and demand another cleaner as a courtesy. There should be a text box open in the application that gives the cleaners direct assess to help. Having to email and wait for a response is not an efficient way to deal with immediate issues. We are in the street, we are traveling and we are working with our client's schedules. That's a lot of responsibility to require of contractors (although we all know that we are employees) and it's not fair that incidental situations turn into reduction in our weekly earnings (who does that!).

7. "Keep The Good Job"

Current Freelancer - Cleaner in New York, NY
    Current Freelancer - Cleaner in New York, NY

Pros

Working at handy is nothing but a good experience. Right from the board to the lowest personnel, I have not in my life found an entire company staff loving, caring and even supportive. Everyone follow the rule of labor division, so even if you get to see me you would be surprised if I told you am working. I am just so happy to get this job.

Cons

I have not found one yet, and am not sure if I am going to, because I am having a great and wonderful time here.

Advice to Management

Do not give it up. keep the good work on.

8. "Super sweet and polite!!"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in New York, NY
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer in New York, NY

Pros

It's beyond what I had hoped for, and what I expected.

Cons

I have not found any negative to say about my experience working for Handy.

Advice to Management

Just Keep the good work.

"Dishonest"

Former Employee - CX Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - CX Associate in New York, NY

Pros

There is food and free beer.

Cons

There are a lot of fake positive reviews here that pretend to be from CX at HQ. Not one person in cx is happy there. Not one. They talk a lot about values and supporting their employees but if you're not an engineer or one of the frat boy managers then you are not who they are talking about supporting. They will lie about your potential to put more work on your plate but you will not be compensated for it. They are very stingy with raises and bonuses. You can't pay your rent with free beer. It's clear they don't value CX or respect the people who do that work.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Stop spending so much on alcohol and parties and pay your CX department appropriately. No one prefers free booze to a living wage. And stop writing fake reviews.

10. "Excellent company!"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked full time for this company as a customer service associate in New York. The work environment was great, mostly due to the great colleagues with who I worked. The senior staff was also a huge help to me when I first started working there. Sadly, I had to leave the company when I moved to a different state, but I've recommended this company to friends as good work experience in this field. Now, I thought I could do the same through Glassdoor. The company does a great job in providing its customers with a "satisfaction guaranteed" feeling.

Cons

Drank more coffee than I used to when I worked part-time? Haha. Seriously though, I don't have anything negative to say about my experience working for Handy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I haven't worked for any company before where we had people in management that gave their all.