Handy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Handy CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I would definitely recommend if you want to work part time for a decent salary (in 22 reviews)

• Been working with Handy for a bit, and i love having the freedom of choosing my own hours and the pay is good (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The rating system should be done away with don't see the point in having a (in 37 reviews)

• Pretty much ZERO customer service (in 26 reviews)

1. "Incredible learning experience"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of responsibility
    Exposure to senior leadership
    Amazing growth curve - learned how to solve problems, pull and analyze data, manage people

Cons

Startups require commitment and hours - it's not a 9-5 so if you're not ready to dedicate yourself, it's not going to be for you

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the best talent there is

2. "handu"

Pros

good work good team mate

Cons

bad jobs bad environment mate

Advice to Management

do better

3. "On it's way"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Handy, like any startup, has definitely had its fair share of growing pains over the past few years. Like any company thats building a brand new market, sometimes things wont always be perfect in the first shot, but the people here always looking to make things better and learn from their mistakes.

Of all the startups I've worked for, I've never met a more intelligent, dedicated and passionate group of individuals as the leadership team here at Handy. It is a very data driven environment and they are constantly looking to improve on every metric, big and small.

Keep up the positive momentum!

Cons

It can be frustrating when you try out things and fail and have to go back to the drawing board. But having a team of supportive coworkers definitely helps.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in hiring the best and brightest and living up to the company goals will follow.

4. "Exciting and veteran startup poised for big things"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- talented and smart management team that is constantly assessing the business and keeping us moving towards the right goals
    - well-documented training and onboarding for new recruits
    - open and transparent environment for decision-making
    - big, metric-moving projects waiting to be tackled
    - supportive and nurturing culture; everyone is down to teach + chat with you
    - fun company outings, hackathons, and celebrations
    - typical startup food perks (breakfast, lunch, dinner, insane snack pantry + water/soda options)
    - competitive salary for NYC
    - excellent location (can't beat the Madison Square Park area - close to all the train lines)
    - as a leading marketplace startup in its category, Handy faces a huge range of unique and tough problems. The learning never stops.

Cons

Handy runs very fast-paced and is constantly sourcing feedback from our customers, service professionals, advisors, and internal data to keep the company and product pointed in the right direction. That means shifting initiatives a few times a year to make sure we're always working on the right problems. The rapid change can be unsettling but perfect for someone who loves facing new challenges. This startup breathes the hustling vibe of true New Yorkers.

Advice to Management

Keep making culture a priority!

5. "Fun Startup to Work"

Former Employee - Online-Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Online-Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn a lot. Work environment. Many colleagues became friends. Very driven company to work with.

Cons

Very high pressure once in a while as company aims for very high goals.

6. "A bad place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch. This has a five word minimum so I'm writing this extra sentence.

Cons

Handy is the worst place I've worked for and I once worked at a shady gift basket company where I was bitten by a brown recluse that resulted in me going to the emergency room.

The pay starts low for Customer Experience and stops there.

It seems that Dylan (whom I have nothing but good things to say about, he's great!) would genuinely like for his team to be properly compensated, but the founders aren't interested in prospering growth and creating long term careers for their employees. Recognizing this, many of the people who have been with the company for years have left.

There are a lot of questionable things behind the scenes, namely asking employees to write glowing app store/Google reviews and finding new and inventive ways to create penalties for customers.

Advice to Management

Pay the CX team a fair wage

7. "Product Design"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Everyone is incredibly smart and friendly. Lots of opportunity for creativity. Whole company works relatively quickly and efficiently. Free catered lunch and dinner.

Cons

Deadlines can be tight, sometimes you will need to stay later in order to finish work

"Operations Associate"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Handy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There were free lunches every day, and I did make some genuine friendships working in the office.

Cons

There is very little communication, and employees are not respected. I was told to my face I was going to be reassigned off of the project I was working on less than a week before I was let go. There is very little in terms of employee support and growth.

My team was often the scapegoats for a lot of internal operational issues with the company, and was even once directly blamed for stalling the company's growth. The culture of the company is a fairly typical fraternal start-up culture, and although there was a substantial improvement from the infamous Gawker article about Handy's culture, there still was a misguided attempt to have a frat-house environment in the center of the office with kegs, a very disruptive foosball table, and music.

Also, my pay was incorrect for almost a whole year because my manager did not care enough to ensure I was getting paid for the correct number of hours.

"Laid Off"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

The pros were basically due to being a remote worker. I enjoyed meeting new people and giving presentations. I liked the people I worked with.

Cons

Unorganized and inexperienced staff in positions of high responsibility. Faulty business model caused a lot of issues that were hard to resolve. I don't think the company was created with the intention of lasting very long.

"It's okay"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Time consuming work. Free food.

Cons

Too time consuming. Food is not that good.

Advice to Management

Good luck!