Handy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 24, 2020

4.1
Handy CEO  Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan
  1. "Great people, great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Highly collaborative. Everyone can jump in with ideas, no matter their role. More importantly, any shared ideas or questions are heard out and addressed. - People here are great to work with. Everyone is excited about the work and are eager to help one another. - Individual and team achievements are recognized and celebrated on a regular basis. - Flexible PTO - Catered lunch

Cons

Haven't run into any, and don't think I will.

Handy2019-12-23

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Handy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment focused on growth. The company definitely acknowledges peoples' hard work and successes. Feedback is highly encouraged across all levels. Alongside quarterly and annual reviews, most people have regular 1:1s with their team leader as well. Accessible C-Suite/Execs. Good Benefits & Perks (for the most part) - Unlimited PTO (they really do mean it, so long as you get your work done!), great family leave policy, catered lunch and dinner, regular team outings

Cons

Nothing major. No 401K match - but fingers crossed it's happening soon.

Handy2019-09-03

"Great culture."

I have been working at Handy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- There's a huge focus on feedback. There are channels set up to encourage feedback across all levels and all departments. Hiring managers go through extensive training to ensure they know how to support people as *real* people. Consistent quarterly reviews + annual review for everyone. - So many brilliant and creative coworkers! I feel lucky to work along side the team at Handy. The executive team is well respected but has not been put on some sort of pedestal. Very easy to talk to. Open door policy. - Work hard play hard. Teams are encouraged to go on team outings to get to know each other outside of their day to day jobs. The company wide retreat is something I look forward to every year. - Free snacks, lunch and dinner are always a nice perk too.

Cons

Continue to work on communication and transparency to broader org. It's critical everyone is aligned and has a clear view into upcoming goals and growth.

Handy2019-08-29
  4. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Handy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Frequent acknowledgment of your hard work, constant new, challenging projects to work on, visibility & transparency on company performance and high-level goals, people managers who actually care and develop their teams, unlimited vacation as long as you're getting your work done, best maternity/paternity leave policy of anywhere I've worked, nice & cool co-workers.

Cons

If you want an easy job where you just coast this isn't the place for you.

Handy2019-08-29

"A Great Place to Advance Yourself"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Handy full-time for less than a year

Pros

I interviewed with a number of companies on my way to accepting my role here, and Handy stood out immediately with the efficiency, honesty, and thoroughness of their recruiting process. After a first email with them, I got on the phone with the recruiter the next day, and scheduled a follow-up call with the department head the following day, where we discussed the role in detail. They gave me a case study to give a presentation on the following week. The project was highly relevant to my role, which gave me confidence that they knew exactly what kind of person they were looking to hire. Handy flew me out to New York for a final round of interviews with the exec team the week after that. I accepted an offer shortly thereafter. The whole process took about 3 weeks altogether. Since I've joined, I've noticed that the efficiency and honesty I enjoyed during my recruiting process are seen throughout this company. Everyone is incredibly bright, projects get off the ground fast, and there really aren't a lot of politics with my work. The open communication here makes all of this possible. Every company should strive for more of this.

Cons

As far as startups go, people tend to work longer hours here than other places. I'd say this is more of a result of the very high bar of expectations rather than a culture of "last person in the office is the most impressive" though. So, not necessarily a bad thing -- for me this was actually a refreshing change of pace, and necessary for my personal career development. But if you aren't willing to have some longer days than you're used to every now and then, it could be a con for you.

Handy2019-01-15

"Terrific team & company true to its values"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Positive culture focused on growth. Super smart, driven team - really talented people, great place to learn from others and easy to be inspired by their performance. Data driven decision-making gives transparency on company-wide priorities. Established startup stage allows for the best of both worlds - still a lot of room for growth, but core processes and infrastructure in place, enabling more effective execution. Strong benefits package and family leave - plus perks like lunch and group outings.

Cons

To be successful at Handy you must have an intellectually curious & analytical nature and be comfortable in a fast-paced environment.

Handy2018-12-14

"Development, Performance, & Sushi at Handy"

I have been working at Handy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone at Handy has the chance to make a real impact from day #1. The work culture values personal growth and development with team members being given big problems to solve early on. In an environment obsessed with data, Handy is fiercely a-political which means that the best idea wins and you are evaluated by your impact. It is a place filled with amazing people who take what they do very seriously, but not themselves. Also love sushi day.

Cons

There is not a single role that doesn’t require you to roll up your sleeves, and because you are assessed by your output you need to perform. Not everyone is up for such a performance driven culture, so could be a shift for anyone coming from a different environment. And it is unclear why Dos Toros hasn’t made a lunch appearance in a long, long while.

Handy2018-11-09

"Best company"

I have been working at Handy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits - unlimited vacation as long as you’re getting your work done, catered lunch and dinner, decent health care, impressive maternity leave policy, cool co-workers. Upper management that’s accessible - the founders sit with the rest of the company and are both super down to earth and friendly. Acknowledgement for your hard work - the company is big on giving a round of applause where it’s due. Pressure for managers to hold frequent 1:1’s / quarterly “reviews” Fast paced and challenging - we work on projects quickly and get to work with new groups on from project to project. Never a dull moment. Frequent team dinners / lunches Bright future for Handy

Cons

Haven’t come across any big cons beyond feeling a little tired every now and then but that’s at every job.

Handy2018-09-27

"Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Handy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Well organized interior designed homes. Warm personalities of home-owners/apartment renters.

Cons

Depletion of equipment. (Reordered Online)

Handy2018-05-02

"Hasn't lost its entrepreneurial edge"

I have been working at Handy full-time

Pros

Empowered to make decisions and drive action across the organization. Company focus on personal development and growth. Management and peers open to new ideas. Fast-paced, ever-changing, company has tons of growth potential

Cons

Very direct communication style. Can get talked over easily. Organization can feel siloed depending on the group. Everyone stretched thin

Handy2018-01-11

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 112 reviews