Hanley Wood Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Goldstone

Pros
  • Work-life balance is pretty good (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits and generally a very good group of people to work with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior editorial vision lacking -- very top heavy organization (in 5 reviews)

• Provided forecasting for housing market trends with no local knowledge or experience (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company and values. Needs to pay more attention to professional development."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanley Wood (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're considering working at Hanley Wood and looking at these reviews to learn more, just keep in mind that the company has 3 groups: media, marketing, and Metrostudy. Some of these reviews don't reflect my experience at all, while others were remarkably similar, positively and negatively. I worked on the editorial side of the Media group, so what I write might not be indicative of the other groups (sales, accounting, or even the other groups, Metrostudy and Marketing). Anyway:

Overall, I had a good experience working at Hanley Wood. It was my first full-time job out of school, and it's great work for folks who are just getting started in media and looking for a place to get their feet wet. The media field changes all the time, and HW is not immune to that, but: if you're flexible in attitude, willing to try and learn new things, and amenable to a typical degree of workplace politics, you'll find it's a pretty easy place to work, and you'll have a surprising amount of say in what you do and learn.

The workplace culture is pretty casual. A few people here have mentioned the Frank Days, which are nice, but they're really just the cherry on top. I had a lot of freedom and trust in my ability to get work done on my own time. (Which was pretty much always manageable, minus the occasional massive project every few months.) The seasonal parties are fun, and there are lots of small, free perks (ballpark tickets, free food, etc) every month. And the pay, benefits, and advancement opportunities are great.

With rare exceptions, I found most people there were a pleasure to work with, and very willing to try new things. A lot of the editorial side comes from print and is still bound to it, so if you keep up with (and care about) digital media and analytics and how content strategy is changing, you'll earn a lot of kudos from your coworkers, even at the executive level. I felt free to provide constructive criticism on decisions small and large. I might not have gotten the answer I wanted, but nobody ever scolded me for speaking candidly.

Finally, I found that HW encouraged me to try things that weren't in my job description, as long as I didn't let them interfere with my current responsibilities. Whenever I found something I wanted to learn and found a way to align it with an HW project (new or existing), those skills made their way into my job, and made working there a lot more fun.

Cons

Media's biggest issue, in my eyes, is the lack of professional development. HR does a good job handling welcome perks and process (welcome lunches and get-togethers), and the technical training is fine. But managers in the Media group are wildly inconsistent about getting junior-level and intern staffers energized and up to speed. Some interns I talked with felt unfulfilled by their responsibilities and confused about Hanley Wood's goals and mission. The company could do much more to describe, in plain language, what makes HW special, and how their work fits into it. More side projects would also go a long way: much of HW's subject matter is highly technical and doesn't easily engage new writers. Letting younger staffers take risks, or even participate on internal projects, would help greatly.

Beyond new hires, HW could do much more to keep all staffers engaged with the company's mission and the many shifting trends in media. This improved somewhat while I was there, but even towards the end of my tenure, the training sessions were infrequent, jargon-laden, and sometimes downright tone-deaf. Again, technical training isn't the problem: it's the tricker-to-teach ideas, skill set changes, and cultural and industry shifts where HW can fall short.

Advice to Management

Within Media it basically boils down to one thing: Pay more attention to professional development, and not just technical training. Direct managers to make development an explicit part of their job. Engage your new and long-time employees with sessions that are tailored to them and their work. Ask them about what confuses them, and answer in plain language. And most importantly, see if there's anything they'd like to share. A ton of smart people work there, and would love the opportunity to share more about what they know, and how they can apply it to HW.

HW has a good thing going, and I greatly enjoyed my time there. They just need to find more thoughtful ways to engage staffers — especially younger ones — once they get in the door.

"Great people, bad company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanley Wood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanley Wood employees, for the most part, some stellar people who are hard working, creative, smart, and kind. Office perks included holiday lunches, giveaways, great open bar office parties, and getting off of work every Friday at noon during the summer.

Cons

Terrible compensation, lacking in adequate management, low employee moral, human resources department that doesn't do much, compensation that benefited the men in the office more than it did the women, and not open to new ideas from its younger employees.

Advice to Management

I was employed at Hanley Wood for two years and never saw adequate compensation for my work, nor that of my co-workers. Hanley Wood's editorial team is underappreciated and undervalued. My manager was never given adequate management training and was never reprimanded for their lack of work ethic, lack of leadership, and more. Various individuals at the company had had several HR complaints filed to them and the company failed to do any of that. Men also at the company were frequently promoted and given raises over the women who were just as qualified. The company has an exceptionally talented group of people, but the company undervalues them and doesn't utilize their talent nor pay them adequately. For my years of experience, I was only paid no less than $41K and it took years for individuals, more deserving of me even, to get raises or promotions.

3. "CEO is Napoleonic and President of Digital Has No Soul"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanley Wood full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, if you don't have to commute into DC each day.

Cons

Back when Frank Anton was CEO, HW had it's challenges, but at least you felt valued and appreciated. The workers are awesome, but management has this pompous demeanor that only cares about numbers. I once heard Reid say, "we are math men, not mad men" making a profound connection to the TV Series Mad Men. Well, focusing on just the numbers and not understand human relations is, in my book, somewhat mad.

5. "Digital Content Producer"

Current Employee - Digital Content Producer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Digital Content Producer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanley Wood full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good position to be in to get lots of hands on experience in different departments.

Cons

You act as a fill in for editorial departments because the job role is so vague.

Advice to Management

Provide more mobility and definitive career routes for those in this position.

"Don't do it!"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Hanley Wood (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cupcakes at quarterly meetings, nearby restaurants, near the light rail, close to Target Field

Cons

egotistical management team, finger pointers, bad client communication, no employee appreciation, dreary office space, bad benefits, not family-friendly

Advice to Management

Maybe they could step off of their high horse and realize what it is that they do

"Good for the short term"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Easy going atmosphere. Summer hours.

Cons

Lip service paid to employee development.

Advice to Management

Try to take care of employees instead of just focusing on bottom line all the time.

"Pretty good experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanley Wood full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My manager was great & taught me many things in my young career. They offered a fruit bowl for your enjoyment & health. Plus they offered additional paid days off around holidays. (Long weekends)

Cons

Don't really have any cons. My experience was pretty great. One thing I would say was it was a pay freeze while I was there but other than that, no complaints.

"Happy Camper"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanley Wood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, reasonable work volume, and opportunities to collaborate with different departments.

Cons

Fear of layoffs in this post-recession environment.

10. "just ok"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanley Wood full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work environment for those who want balance

Cons

low pay and very little diversity as far as minority leadership

Advice to Management

long tern diversity and inclusion is going to be key as the Spanish speaking community continues to dominate the work force in this industry

11. "Changing Culture"

Current Employee - Web Producer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Web Producer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hanley Wood (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, relaxed hours, good benefits and time-off.

Cons

Company culture is changing, lots of budget cuts unless you are focusing on data collection.

Advice to Management

Remember content and sales are still a huge part of company success.