Hanover Research Development Director Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Over the years, the firm has become more attuned to the need for work/life balance as a foundation for sustainable productivity (in 13 reviews)

• Company parties and happy hours (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The leadership has little to NO ethical compass (in 7 reviews)

• Professional development is lacking and even if there is some (in 10 reviews)

"A Rewarding Meritocracy"

Former Employee - Development Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development Director in Washington, DC

Pros

DC/VA is an amazing, vibrant environment for young professionals. Compensation was higher than I expected, and the intellectual firepower in every department was impressive. I was given flexibility from my sales role to explore and develop new markets. Not a lot of hand holding or micromanagement, but plenty of support from senior management when needed.

Cons

For sales people, this is a competitive environment with some really hard-working, experienced peers. Bumping into each other from time to time over strategy and tactics is a given, and if you're not accustomed to making data-driven arguments and suggestions, you'll flounder.

Advice to Management

I appreciated the opportunities to connect with other departments outside of my own. Learning about their work helped me understand how best to tailor our services to our prospective clients. More of those types of interactions are always great.

Hanover Research Response

Jul 29, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback. I agree that our people are smart and driven regardless of department. Your recommendation about more cross-departmental collaboration is helpful and we have just... More

"Very happy here"

Current Employee - Senior Development Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Development Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at Hanover for almost four years and am quite happy. While no firm is perfect, Hanover does a lot to keep its employees happy and engaged. I'm in a sales role and am often contacted by recruiters - whom I talk to - but there are a few reasons why I prefer a sales role at Hanover to the other opportunities that have been presented to me:

1. Customers are very happy with the product. This is of course a non-negotiable for me - I wouldn't be willing to sell a service/product that I did not believe was in my prospect's best interest, but it is exciting to hear from accounts that I have closed about the value that Hanover is providing them, and that they are referring our services to other prospective customers within their network.

2. It's a highly consultative sale which keeps things interesting. With Hanover's custom research model, I can't think of a type of sale that can get any more consultative than this. I talk with prospects about their challenges and explore how research projects can identify new solutions. Every conversation is different. I think I might get bored or frustrated selling software or syndicated research - trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by reframing a prospect's challenges in attempt to match them with the proposed solution or product.

3. I can serve as a consultative thought-partner and valuable resource. Even if a prospect does not end up engaging in a contract, they find tremendous value in the discussion from the market insight I can provide (from talking with numerous peers in the market on a constant basis) and the research reports that I send as follow-up.

4. Competitive compensation. Obviously we are all working to make money, and Hanover has competitive commission plans that reward top performers.

------

There are also some other things I like about Hanover that are not specifically related to a sales role:

1. Company culture - I have met some of my closest friends at Hanover. Sometimes I think "I can't leave because I would miss my coworkers too much!"

2. Exec team is listening to employees now more than ever. We are frequently asked for feedback on changes before and after they take place.

3. Upward mobility - they are always thinking about your next step and how to help you get there. They prefer to promote from within.

On a last note - Hanover was my first job I applied to out of college - and sometimes I think to myself "I'm so lucky I landed this" because of how far I have been able to go at the company with the right level of focus, hard work, and ambition.

Cons

Cubicle setting even for jobs that require employees to be on the phone all day (requires employees to reserve call rooms several times per day which can be very disruptive).

Location in Ballston.

401k matching plan is pretty average (2% which takes 4 years to fully vest).

I would love more frequent lunch catering :-)

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees

Hanover Research Response

Feb 7, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your frustration with reserving call rooms but we hope the open plan office allows for more collaboration and informal knowledge sharing between co-workers... More

"Hanover is the ideal landing spot for motivated people who want to start a career with a rapidly growing company."

Current Employee - Development Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The company recognizes individuals for hard work and rewards success both financially and with promotions
    -Since the company is growing rapidly, it is possible to move up the ranks quickly if one is willing to put in the necessary work
    -Ability to change career paths, Hanover allows for vertical movement into different divisions
    -A great place to gain exposure to various aspects of business, the job never becomes mundane
    -Senior management is open to input, employees' voices will always be heard

Cons

-Chain of command can be unclear at times
    -New employee training needs to become more standardized

Advice to Management

There needs to be a formal on-boarding process for new employees so that everyone has the same opportunity to succeed.

"In my two years at Hanover"

Current Employee - Development Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover is an exciting place for young, driven professionals to learn about themselves and excel in a workplace setting. In my two years at Hanover, the company has always rewarded me excellently for my hard work. My experience at Hanover epitomizes the opportunities the company has to offer - I have experienced tremendous growth both professionally and personally in a short amount of time. There are several formal structures and processes in place that help guide Development Associates to Senior Development Associates to Development Directors to Managing Directors very quickly. The mentorship between each Development Associate and Development Director at Hanover is invaluable. The fast-paced nature of the job and continuous opportunities for upward mobility are powerful engagers and motivators. From my first day all expectations of me have been clearly articulated and I’ve always known exactly what I’ve needed to accomplish in order to get myself to the next level.

Cons

The pressure to produce at Hanover can be quite intense at times, and sometimes can lead to insecurity among employees. If you prefer a very safe, mild, predictable work environment you will not be happy at Hanover. If you are open to pushing yourself, working as a team, and thinking outside the box you will be a great fit here.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. With information comes knowledge, with knowledge comes empowerment and with empowerment comes confident employees and confident employees generate new business. Continue to remain open to all ideas, comments, questions and concerns on both the research and development side.