Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Over the years, the firm has become more attuned to the need for work/life balance as a foundation for sustainable productivity (in 14 reviews)

• Company parties and happy hours (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Professional development is lacking and even if there is some (in 11 reviews)

• The leadership has little to NO ethical compass (in 6 reviews)

"Great culture, great opportunities, great process"

Current Employee - Researcher in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Researcher in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover is a real meritocracy. If you excel, you will get raises and promotions quickly. Most managers actively help you plan your career. If you want to go to grad school they'll hell you strategies on applications; if you want to stay long term, they'll give you opportunities to build skills and get promoted.

Which leads to another point. On the research side, you will gain hard skills that are easily transferred to grad school or other companies. Hanover makes a point of training researchers well, and excels in this area.

As a researcher, you learn a ton. The random and interesting topics you become an expert in are legitimately valuable, professionally and even socially. The work requires you to focus and learn, and it's really intellectually rewarding.

Finally, Hanover does a fantastic job of building strong processes to train, deliver feedback, and streamline production. This helps keep things running smoothly, helps you to know where you stand, and overall makes the hiring, orientation, and day-to-day pleasant and efficient.

Cons

On the research side, it's really fast-paced. You need to be OK with ambiguity, best guesses, and trusting your gut. If you want to get the perfect answer or spend weeks on a topic, this is not a good place to work.

They provide daily free snacks, and frequent free breakfasts and lunches and happy hours. It's easy to gain weight, because the work is sedentary.

The 401k match is mediocre.

Advice to Management

We're growing so fast. Don't lost sight of what makes us awesome.

"It's not easy"

Current Employee - BDA in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - BDA in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my time at Hanover, I've definitely learned a ton. I've developed vital professional skills that will definitely transfer to whatever role I take in the future (here or there). There's definitely a gradual learning curve, but if you are willing to work hard you will see the return (bonus and development). The Associates are great and very supportive of each others' successes.

Cons

You need to hit your numbers and that can certainly result in stressful situations that may require extra hours. (sort of a con, but might be a good thing) Everyone's sales numbers are visible, so it is very apparent if you have a bad week.

Advice to Management

It would be fun if the company held more firm-wide events

"State of Hanover, four years in"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

I have been at Hanover for four years now, serving in a variety of different leadership functions across the company. I hopped on this site last week to gauge how Hanover has been portrayed by current and former employees, and it prompted me to write my own post. Having written precisely zero unsolicited Internet opinions in my life, that action should be a meta-commentary of a sort. Without relitigating any of the more negative reviews, I would be remiss if I didn’t add my proverbial two cents. With that experience under my belt, herewith, a few thoughts:

“Company culture” has been bandied about so often and with so little insight in recent years as to be effectively meaningless; however, if we take it to mean, simply, a company’s people, then Hanover is exemplary. Like many companies in professional services, Hanover attracts individuals with elite intellects and attendant analytical prowess. Unlike many of those same companies, however, Hanover boasts a staff that manages a balance between healthy ambition and cordial, symbiotic collaboration. If you are coming from the consulting world (as I did), for instance, you will find a diametrically different interpersonal environment at Hanover, predicated on mutual respect and trust. It is as (sadly) disorienting as it is welcome.

All of that talent is immaterial, however, in the absence of competent leadership. Hanover checks that box emphatically. From the passionate vision of founder Peter Dodge; to the reliable and dynamic management of CEO Wes Givens; to the reinvigorating intellect, energy and accountability of CCO Anil Prahlad and CGO Vineeta Mooganur; leadership at Hanover is sui generis. There is unquantifiable value in the peace of mind that comes with trust in one’s executive team.

Pivoting outward, how do these corporate attributes manifest themselves in client service? The same pervasive spirit of collaboration – as distinct from parallel execution duties – that defines Hanover’s internal approach to operations also governs our protocol w/r/t our clients. Thoroughly attuned to the fact that sound third-party strategic guidance is predicated on mutual trust, we collaborate with clients early and often, cultivating a relationship that both contributes to and benefits from close coordination. The products are impressive, to be sure; how we create them, however, is where Hanover’s value truly resides.

Hanover has its faults. Many of them have been outlined in previous reviews. I agree with some, and disagree with others. Some, I find baffling. Regardless, I do not intend for this to be a purely reactive counterpoint. Like any teenager, Hanover is at times awkward and frequently imperfect, but the people who work here (at every level) instill trust and optimism. If a reader comes away from this knowing that at least one Hanover employee believes that – and believes it deeply enough to write a few hundred words to that effect – than this was more than worth the time.

Cons

These are covered elsewhere, in painful detail.

"Professional growth, good journey with organization"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Account Management
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Account Management

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Hanover has been highly educational over the last few years. Growing my sales acumen, client service capabilities, and experience managing were all goals when joining the team in 2015. How those goals have manifested themselves in my day to day have varied with new peers, new leadership, and a state of almost constant organizational change. The training and coaching function has recently been built out to support more of a formal skill education, which is fantastic. And the years of informal education in the role have proven invaluable. The ability to continue to learn, grow, and change as Hanover matures has been a valuable lesson that will to allow me to flourish at Hanover now and wherever my career path takes me years down the road. I am extremely thankful for my experience to date and look forward to how Hanover and I will continue to grow together from here. Solid company with the leadership in place to take us to the next stage of growth and maturity. Amazing time to join the team.

Cons

The challenges we have faced at Hanover over the last few years have been in changing as the technology and competitive landscape change. My sense is this frustration is a thing of the past and we are headed in the right direction with a new function built out and Cam, our former Chief Content Officer, shifted into Head of Innovation, specifically leading the way, dedicated to new resources and products. Launching new products, improving processes for some of our research methodologies, and investing in training for sales, account management, and content are making our process more efficient, improving the client experience and ultimately retention.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in talent, improved processes, and maintaining the new levels of transparency into what we are striving for as an organization - and why each cog in the wheel matters. Great growth and improved organizational maturity in the last 12 months, continue the trend!

"Friendly, young, and growth-oriented"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research (Less than a year)

Pros

Hanover boasts a supportive meritocracy. You are provided all the tools you need to do well, and if you do, then the sky is the limit. From attempting new things, to creating new positions, there is an excellent culture of "don't be afraid to try."

Great health, dental, and vision insurance.
    Great coworkers.
    Solid PTO.

Cons

As with any young company, the main focus is growth. For that reason it can be fast-paced and you may be expected to work a bit more than the standard 9-5, but you're compensated with an advanced career growth trajectory.

401(k) matching is a little low.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee input. Consider improving 401(k) plan.

"A Place to Build a Rewarding and Meaningful Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at Hanover longer than the average employee, so this review is intended to describe my own personal experience and what is possible to achieve for those who have the right attitude and ambition.

I started at the entry-level and worked my way up receiving several promotions over the years. The company has always been fair and honest with me and I've never felt like I couldn't speak my mind. This is important. You can't expect your manager to read your mind. If you have a concern or feel you need a change, approach your manager and have an honest conversation. A lot of the negative reviews on here are folks who took zero initiative to help their own unhappy situation. No company is perfect, and in a company filled with young professionals, a lot of us are still figuring out what we want in a career. The management team really does care about its employees' well-being, which is evidenced by the number of employee surveys, robust benefits package, staff luncheons, snacks, happy hours, Redskins box, and many other company sponsored events and activities. Yes, the pay could be better, but it's a trade-off. If you just want the most money, shop around. If you're looking for a place where you can have autonomy, exercise creativity in the work you do, have great work/life balance, flexible time-off, and work alongside an incredibly smart, talented, and friendly group of people, Hanover is a great place to be.

A word about compensation: Starting salaries are not the highest, but there is serious potential to earn a very nice income for those who work hard, achieve results, and stay at the company. I've seen people leave Hanover prematurely, chasing a higher salary only to find they aren't any happier (or less happy) with their career. Be patient, do good work, and the money will follow.

Another piece of advice: try to start with the end in mind. Have personal career goals. If you're entry-level, what sort of work would you like to be doing in 1, 3, 5 years? If you work hard in the beginning, you can choose your own path. Hanover rewards and provides ample opportunities for those who work hard and do whatever it takes to make the company more successful.

Other pros: recently renovated office space (really nice improvements!), free coffee, nice location right off the metro and pretty convenient parking, break-rooms with bean-bag chairs, TVs, yoga rooms, 401k with matching, and external professional development opportunities.

Cons

Despite being in business for over a decade, Hanover still has a "startup" feel to it. This can mean several things, but for me it means that there isn't always structure. This can be a pro for some, but certainly a con for many. You have to take responsibility and be accountable for your own success. What systems there are in place are not necessarily going to make it "easy" for you to hit your goals.

At least on the Content side, I wish the culture was geared a bit more towards cultivation and collaboration instead of leaving staff to their own devices on projects. It would also help if Research Associates could gain more exposure and experience by being on the phone or in front of clients. I think this would help them find more meaning and connect their day-to-day work with a sense of purpose.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to facilitate more back-and-forth dialogue directly with staff. A lot of the communication between management and staff is impersonal and one-directional. We appreciate the numerous employee surveys, but there is something to be said about a personal touch. Executive Team Office hours are fine, but perhaps our CEO could spend more time chatting with staff and getting to know them. It's hard in a big company, but I feel my team would appreciate it if he stopped by their desks once in a while to say hello and ask them about their work, etc. and just get to know them a little better.

"Entry-Level Sales Associate, Great Place to Grow"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

You will work with collaborative team players who want to mentor and learn as much as you do. While working in sales can be sink or swim, the support staff is always there to ensure you're both comfortable and have the resources to succeed. Whether you're on the sales or research side of the business, there are wonderful amenities and all three of the offices have a professional and modern feel. Easily the best part about this job is working with interesting and intelligent people, with many of which I can truly say I have developed friendship. Our custom service addresses a real need in the market and it is exciting to be a part of a disruptive organization that is consistently hitting growth targets.

Cons

If you are not mentally prepared for the rejection associated with cold calling this may not be the job for you. Success will come from those who get in early and leave late so expect long hours if you want to thrive.

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate the reasoning for changes to best practices.

"Hard work, open mind, ability to adapt, and you will gain autonomy, mastery, and purpose!"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office location in the heart of Soho. A lot of nice eateries and opportunities to explore Manhattan with the team. Cool loft space with unlimited snacks, coffee, beverages, occasional lunches, office outings (bowling, arcade bars, etc.). Great foundation of a team and only getting stronger with new hires added every couple of months.

To elaborate on my review title, working at Hanover takes an incredible amount of hard work, especially on the sales side. I started as a Business Development Associate and have already seen significant growth into new roles while with the firm. You have to be dedicated to your territory, your research on the companies and clients you are pursuing, and open minded about your approach (a fair amount of cold calling, but opportunities to craft powerful emails and utilizing other creative content to enhance the outreach aspect and learn a 360 degree method on how to sell from a top of the funnel perspective).

You have to be open minded because this is a BRAND NEW office in a very YOUNG COMPANY. There will always be issues and kinks to sort out, but management is doing a great job in maintaining support for this office and creating change for the better.

Lastly, you need to be able to adapt well to change. Change is hard as we all know, but with a new office, and a growing and adapting organization, employees need to be willing and able to make changes themselves and work together toward success.

With all of this in mind, Hanover in NYC allows you to be quite autonomous when you are a strong performer. You gain a lot of skills in business development that allow you to grow and master the art of development and selling. And there is a major purpose driving everything knowing that we are growing a business that supports and consults with thousands of organizations worldwide in helping THEM become better businesses!

Cons

Compensation targets can be quite difficult to reach for associates, although comp plans did just get adjusted. Internal communication can be lacking occasionally with the NY team being on a different playing field (geographically).

Advice to Management

Keep up the support in NYC!

"Good first job with growth opportunities!"

Current Employee - Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Working with great people. This includes coworkers and managers.
    - Social environment with after hours events and activities
    - Opportunities for advancement, promotions and professional growth
    - Learning new skills all the time

Cons

- Cold calling isn't always fun or easy. It takes time to get the hang of the role.
    - Don't make any bonus if you don't hit your calling numbers. This is understandable but it was hard to swallow when I was newer to the job

Advice to Management

Keep investing in internal talent and training! I took this job because a friend works/ed there and wasn't sure sales was for me. It was tough at first and I am still not a superstar (somewhere in the middle of the pack) but I have learned good time management skills and have support working through objections when needed. I was promoted after about 7 months and am excited about the number of internal promotion opportunities constantly being offered.

"Great experience. And the company and product are only getting stronger!"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a consultative sale and I've learned so much about so many different industries as I've explored how Hanover's capabilities can support potential clients' growth strategies. Intellectually stimulating and engaging!

I've had very good managers at Hanover who've made me better.

The company has also been understanding and accommodating of other priorities I have outside of Hanover, including family.

I've also found the compensation generous.

Cons

The company has doubled since I've been here. As we've done so, we've matured in terms of the value we deliver to clients - both from a product and service standpoint. We've also matured internally and are doing a better job stewarding our talent.

Advice to Management

We're strong and getting stronger--thank you for all you're doing to mature our company. Let's continue to value our customers and our people above all.