Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Over the years, the firm has become more attuned to the need for work/life balance as a foundation for sustainable productivity" (in 14 reviews)

• "Associate Outings and Happy Hours" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Professional development is lacking and even if there is some" (in 11 reviews)

• "On the research side, it's really fast-paced" (in 6 reviews)

"Better and Better"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

I have worked here for a long time. The company is honest with itself about its challenges and works hard to address all of them. Progress is being made all the time.

Cons

The level of accountability is exceptionally high. If you need the occasional day to sit around and do nothing, look elsewhere.

"Free Candy"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

The benefits or good and work are interesting. There was somebody reviewing this company about the free candy and some sort of eating disorder and all I can say is to get some self-control girl. I'm pretty sure I know who you are.

Cons

The scope provided for a project is sometimes unrealistic. The methods they use are not sound, so for anybody in academics, it may make you want to puke. It's odd that there are some PHDs here that just go along with it, but I think they are just here for the paychecks.

Advice to Management

Please try to limit the number of fake reviews that you post about yourself, or at the very least don't be so obvious about it.
    On second thought, please! Keep those 5-star reviews coming so everyone can see through this charade.

Sep 17, 2018 – Chief Content Officer

Thank you for your feedback.

You are correct that the business research we do is distinct from academic research; our clients are looking for the insights into running their businesses that we... More

"Inspired everyday!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people! Energetic, intelligent, selfless, and passionate, are just a few words that come to mind when I think about my colleagues at Hanover.

Cons

Communication isn't always perfectly clear and our direction can shift from "go left" to "let's go right", but I think this is normal at a company our size. We're still growing at a rapid clip while learning from our decisions (and one another) along the way. I personally view this is a "Pro" and not a "Con" as I enjoy the excitement that comes along with growth and subsequent change, but not everyone shares this viewpoint.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen. This is something the company has done well for a long time and I hope to see it continue as our growth inevitably will.

"Great People, Maturing Company"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard work is rewarded
    Good healthcare & PTO
    Access to senior management
    Professional development opportunities

Hanover has a lot of good things going. I thoroughly enjoy the people I work with, I feel like I am given the tools to succeed, and the coaching to help me when I need it. You will learn a lot in this position (BDA and SDA) that will stick with you for a long time - work hard, even when things aren't going exactly your way, ask for help when you need it, and give back to others when you get to a point that you're able to.

Overall, I have had a very positive experience at Hanover and feel like I have learned a lot. I look forward to moving up and gaining new responsibilities because I feel like I am ready for them.

I would recommend to a friend and I have, multiple times.

Cons

Any sales job can be tough at times

Hanover isn't perfect, no company is. We sometimes get a bad rap because this is the first place many people work and they come in with unrealistic expectations. You need to show up when you're supposed to, work hard, and generally do what is expected of you. This isn't college anymore. You can't skip class, you have actual responsibility, and you don't deserve anything just because you're here - you have to earn it. Some people aren't ready to handle that.

If you do these things, you will do just fine. I certainly have not been a perfect associate - I have had my fair share of trials and tribulations, and every time, I have had people take the time to help me out and get me back on the right track, and I'm very thankful for that.

Advice to Management

Keep investing time in your younger employees and their success. The good ones appreciate it and the bad ones never will.

"Tough but fair"

Current Employee - BDA in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - BDA in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are amazing! I like my Director a lot and she has helped me develop professionally since I started. I am not sure if I want to stay in sales long term but this has been a good first job and first experience in a sales role. The hours can be long but we get bonus days and team outings and other perks when we hit goals. I was new to the area when I took this job so being able to make friends at work has made adjusting to the city much easier. I've hit a few good bonus months which make up for the slower months. It really is a mixture of effort and luck sometimes but I've never felt like it was too hard or too much.

Cons

The job can be stressful and it isn't fun getting hang ups or "Stop bothering me" every day but I am learning to be resilient and positive. If I am having a slow week or struggling, I do have resources to help me but I need to be proactive about it any speak up earlier in the week to get help.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the activities and incentives! More training opportunities outside of the core sales roles.

"Great Place if You're a Fast Learner"

Current Employee - Content Analyst
    Current Employee - Content Analyst

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

I've felt challenged (in a good way) since I've been here, which I had been missing in my previous positions. Every week I get to work on a new topic, which keeps me much more interested in the work. I also appreciate the regular feedback I get about every project I work on, so I rarely feel like I'm in the dark about my performance.

The other reviews are honest in saying that timelines are pretty tight; most of the time this hasn't been an issue, although there have been a few occasions when requests/expectations have really not aligned with the time you're given to write something. Overall, if you're a fast learner and can work at a pretty quick pace without sacrificing too much quality, there isn't much to worry about.

The onboarding process was excellent, compared to other companies I've worked for in the past, and the regular check-ins with HR during the first few months of employment were helpful on both sides; I felt that they cared about my progression starting out, and it also felt like they were really looking to make improvements proactively to the process. Great job here!

Working at Hanover does give you a great opportunity to build a robust research portfolio pretty quickly, and I can tell from the call shadowing with our partners that what we do here has actual meaning and translates into action.

Workload aside, some of the perks aren't bad either. We regularly earn days off throughout the year for meeting project delivery goals, which is a huge motivator for a lot of people. They're also pretty good about aligning those days off with holidays to stretch out the time off. We can also work remotely pretty regularly. There have been a few days I've chosen to work remotely, and I never had any issues with getting permission or having my workflow interrupted because of it.

I've also seen clear effort to include researchers in on project pipeline meetings and client calls, which helps us to understand the bigger picture better; all of the CDs I work with reach out to me weekly to ask if I'd like to shadow calls for projects I may be working on or to sit in on project debriefs of projects I've completed. This helps me feel much more engaged with the work I do to see the project cycle from start to finish - we should definitely keep up this practice.

The office is in a great location, and there is an obvious effort to make the physical workspace comfortable and pleasant to be in all day.

As for compensation, I felt that I was fairly compensated for my level of experience, credentials, and education; I came in at the top of the bracket for my position and am confident that my pay will continue to increase with my performance. I've seen a lot of reviews here complaining about the low pay, but if you work to complete education and other credentials beyond a bachelor's degree, you will be compensated for it.

Cons

Other reviewers aren't exaggerating that the timelines are tight. I usually put in about 50 hours per week, which isn't unreasonable, but I also don't ever take a lunch in order to be out of the office at a decent time. Those 50 hours are also completely filled with work - there's not much time to refresh during the week. I also take work home at least a few times per month. Sometimes it seems like there is a disconnect between what the timeline realistically allows and what has been promised to the client. As an example, I had a pretty hefty report that I was given 5 days to complete, but to answer all of the partner's questions, it took nearly 80 pages, with the editor adding another 5. That's an incredibly short amount of time to expect for that kind of robust request to be met with any level of quality. I completed the project in time, the client and the CD were both happy, and the report was very well received...but sometimes the expectations seem unreasonable. Granted, this isn't always the norm, but with recent initiatives to shorten timelines, I'm worried that's what we'll be moving toward.

The workspace is modern and spacious, but I'm not entirely sure who had the idea of putting researchers and salespeople on the same floor. All of the sales call rooms (which are not soundproof at all) are right next to the researchers' cubes. All day long, I have to blast music or white noise just in order to think straight so I can write without being interrupted. This was just incredibly poor layout design. Researchers aren't quiet because we're antisocial - we're just trying to research and write without constant interruption. I would encourage management to rethink this design or at least soundproof the call rooms somehow so we're not interrupted by 8 hours of conversations every day. This is no fault of the salespeople, as they're just trying to do their jobs, but it just doesn't make sense to put high volume next to employees who require quiet concentration.

While overall benefits and comp are fine, my only complaint here is the 401K matching. I've never seen a 2% match anywhere. That's embarrassingly low, and could be a reason that I would consider leaving. We're also not fully vested until 5 years (although there is gradual vesting, which many people seem to forget). I understand that many people here are quite young and may come in and out like a revolving door, but for those with longer service with the company, I'd hope that they'd want to contribute to retirement. Why not increase the employer match with years of service?

Advice to Management

Keep up the onboarding and recruiting efforts - they seem to be working well. And keep showing appreciation to your employees like you're already doing with incentive days, fair compensation, and transparent project communication. These pieces matter most, and Hanover really excels here.

Consider the workspace needs of your different employees - what works for sales may not work fo researchers. Reevaluate what is reasonable for a researcher to complete on a tight timeline.

Consider increasing the 401K match with length of service; 2% isn't enough for anyone to build retirement savings seriously, even with full contribution on the employee's end.

"Not a bad place to start"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of young people, which makes the actual work bearable

Cons

Not much room for growth unless you want to cold call for at least a year

Advice to Management

Give better bonuses to associates that make the initial outreach to clients that actually close

Aug 6, 2018 – CHRO

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It does seem like your experience is a little different to many of our other sales associates' experiences. One average, sales associates achieving their meeting... More

"Overall Horrible Experience. Blind leading the blind"

Current Employee - Sales in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Sales in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They feed you with cookies and chips

Cons

I wasn’t gonna write a review until I saw all the of fake reviews, deleted posts, and disrespectful replies from HR. Hanover Research is run by children. The first thing you learn on the first day is that everybody hates their job and is applying to other companies. I know several BDAs right now that are looking elsewhere. Morale is nonexistent. Id been told that the training used to be watching clips of the Wolf of Wall Street before adding the classroom sessions. What a freaking joke. There are office gossip and the politics all over. People get promoted without bringing in a single deal while the best associates have to stay in the roll for 2 years. The manager was a associate for 4 months - thats right, less time than the associates. There’s also are associates that log fake meetings or fake revenues to inflate numbers. You also get a tiny bonus for bringing on a 90k deal. They continuously favor the old Hanover employees who have been able to sit back and relax. It’s also very much a white male boys club. And they also track what time you come in each morning and what time you leave each day. Better not come in a minute past 830! Or if you have to leave a minutes early than you better put in some PTO. The company likes to claim that “We are a Startup” except there is ZERO interaction between departments, no employees speak to each other, the executives sit in their big offices all day on the top floor and couldn’t even name a associate.

For the New York office…. what a absolute nightmare. It has been bleeding money by paying for rent in SoHo and closing zero deals. There have also been MANY reports of sexual harassment at the office. There are 2 women at the office. Even though Hanover claims that the problems have been resolved, it’s because NO MORE WOMEN are applying to work there. Really fixed that one! People also said there are secret video cameras..

For HR - one of the worst departments of all time. The recruiters flat out LIE and tell that you will be promoted to director within 9 months. Have fun cold calling for the next 2 years. They also refuse to pay out bonuses.

The founder and C suite are just trying to sell the company and cash out. For current employees - GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN. You will feel much better.

Does that make sense?

Advice to Management

Shut down the company and start over. Or at least sell yourself to Gartner

Aug 8, 2018 – Chief Growth Officer

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read that you are so unhappy in your current role at Hanover and that you feel the executive team is tone deaf to the challenges on the Associate floor... More

"Business Development"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Great team environment. A lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

No downside - Sales has its ups and downs.

"Business Development Associate"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

A lot of room to grow. If you're hitting your numbers, you can see multiple promotions in the first 1-2 years. Great job for recent graduates, as it's a great place to begin to understand the corporate world. The training program is next to none, and truly sets you up for success. Excellent exposure to Senior Management and C-suite level employees. Genuine camaraderie exists between all teams.

Cons

Hours can be long, especially if you are not hitting your numbers. Being a self-starter is very important - hitting goal is expected and therefore you won't often be celebrated personally for doing so. Often takes bringing something to upper management multiple times before seeing action.

Advice to Management

Listen to the BDA's when they come to you with suggestions, as opposed to head nodding.