Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

Pros
  • In my experience, the managers really do care about their entry level employees, such as their professional development and work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Company parties and happy hours (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The leadership has little to NO ethical compass (in 8 reviews)

• Professional Development is non-existent (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Place to Start Off"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of the negative reviews on this site, particularly from the researcher side, may have something to do with the fact that this is many people's first job out of undergrad or grad school. After leaving Hanover, I have started to see it in a new light. I truly believe that it is a good company. Some specific pros are:

- I worked 40 hour weeks, honestly.
    - I think I opened my laptop over the weekend twice.
    - We got extra time off for hitting team performance goals.
    - The people are phenomenal. It's a built in social circle for a young professional
    - I learned a ton about publicly available data (IPEDS, Census, etc)
    - There's a team of former researchers whose only job is to provide training.
    - I got a lot of good writing experience (completed over 30 reports)
    - My job here provided a nice entree into the higher education sector

Cons

Okay, there are a couple of cons.

- Communication: The culture does not emphasize the communication necessary to complete high quality projects within given deadlines. Timelines are admittedly short, but setting a reasonable scope and checking in daily about progress would make a world of difference. The current practice of sending daily research updates does not work well, as many managers are too busy to read the whole email, let alone a full draft of a report. I think it would be best to institute an open door policy for management, and to require they check in with their researchers face to face or on the phone once per day. If that's too much, researchers should at least be encouraged to email their CDs any time they have a question that impacts the direction of the research. I recall being told early on that we were hired because we could work independently and didn't need to interact with management. I believe this is a bad idea to propagate. Communication always improves work product.
    - Pay: Not great compared to some other sectors, but given the 40 hour weeks, it's absolutely fair.

Advice to Management

You have a good company, and with a few small changes you can make it great.

Jan 16, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you saw value in your time at Hanover and developed your skills. Not all first jobs offer new graduates this opportunity. Our timelines are short ... More

"Great Company Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn new knowledge every day from projects and coworkers. Amazing company culture and support system for their employees.

Cons

Very fast-paced work schedule. If you have problems meeting tight deadlines then you may want to reconsider employment here.

Feb 24, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your positive feedback. I am glad you benefited from our culture of internal knowledge sharing and continuous learning. The pace can be daunting because of our clients expectations so ... More

3. "Employee"

Pros

Many young and determined on staff

Cons

Not clear about job duties

Feb 24, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for your feedback. I would strongly recommend you review your job description and expectations with your current manager in order to provide you with more clarity regarding job duties and ... More

"Not the best place to work"

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

If you are an all-star, you don't have to do much work to succeed.

Cons

You will work with a lot of non all stars.

"Researcher"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

- you get to try very different projects
    - you learn how to communicate with different stakeholders (both internal Hanover employees and clients) quickly and clearly
    - you learn to do things fast

Cons

- strict deadline: it was good when you first started, cause you have a sense of time and focus on your project; but this could get really stressful and tired when you've been working for a while - slowly you get tired of the work
    - built within the business model, there can be a lot of efficiency wasted in creating a project - you spend 4-5 days on a project, someone will edit it. when the report is handed to the client, it may be one month later.....if the researcher could be given this much time to finish the project, the quality will be much better
    - you get evaluated for each projects, which means you'd better not make any mistake in the reports/ or any deliverable. This can get stressful in a longer term
    - not a very collaborative environment - the co-workers are smart and helpful, but they are also busy, and the nature of the work doesn't require much interaction within co-workers. You can stay in the company and don't talk to anyone for a whole day.

Jan 16, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. The cons you mentioned are items we continue to work on improving, specifically collaboration and changing how projects are evaluated, however deadlines are an aspect of ... More

"Wouldn't recommend"

Pros

You get to try your hand at a lot of different project types.

Cons

Incredibly passive aggressive company structure. Lots of turnover. Dishonest management. Low salaries across the board.

Jan 16, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. As a current employee, I would encourage you to speak to your manager, CD, MCD or even our new Chief Content Officer regarding what you perceive as dishonest management ... More

"Business Development Associate"

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

-Young environment
    -Pretty nice office
    -Solid place to start after graduation

Cons

-Sometimes it's difficult to control your outcome
    -Sales targets are not too realistic

Advice to Management

Lower expectations
    Create more ways to bring in business

"Director"

Former Employee - Sales Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office environment and some perks

Cons

Very bad management and career path.

Jan 16, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. Without more detail it is difficult to address your comments about management and career pathing. I can share that in 2016 all Hanover managers completed their first ... More

"Constructive Criticism"

Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Researcher in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(1) Flexibility - researchers are able to work remotely, on occasion, which is good if you're traveling, sick, or if weather is bad.
    (2) Independent work - a plus if you like working independently. A negative if you need to socialize. But if you're on the research side, you should not need to or even have the time to socialize.
    (3) Free coffee, tea, snacks
    (4) The new professional development initiative where researchers accrue a day every six weeks to use on online courses or other prof development ideas.
    (5) PTO increases by a day each year you are employed. No rollover limits.
    (6) Opportunity to hone research and writing skills.

Hanover is like the big shiny house on the top of the hill, but once you get closer, you see all the cracks and how dilapidated it is. Management likes to point to the bright shiny things it throws at us, like happy hours, its learning and development program, more happy hours, executive office hours, and the like, but all of that is covering up the cracks. High turnover, bad work life balance - unless you choose life and end up trading work quality and performance, known culture of bad sales practices and essentially lying to clients. All the company cares about is churning out projects as fast as it can. It doesn't matter who does it, as long as it gets done.

Cons

(1) Flexibility - researchers are fully able to complete our work remotely, all the time. Of course, there are some researchers who may not be able to do so, or may not want to. Give us the option of being able to work telework all the time, based on performance. The privilege can always be taken away if the researcher is underperforming while remote. The CHRO will likely make a comment about company morale, the fun activities and volunteer activities that researchers do together, but none of those are good arguments.

(2) Timelines - they aren't lying to you when they say timelines are short. But when they tell clients that we spend about two weeks for a project, feel free to laugh. If researchers are given the full amount of time the company quotes to clients, then perhaps deliverables would be better. This dishonesty is disheartening and obviously dishonest. Especially when clients come back with less than positive reviews, and you are caught in the crosshairs. Another item with timelines - management likes to say we can extend deadlines, but projects are pushed back so many times, the pipeline is congested, and there is hardly ever room for extensions. Instead you have to settle with sending in a shoddy but complete report or an incomplete report partly because of management's bad planning. But all the blame is on you, because you get graded on your projects, and you can't grade your CDs.

(3) Open floor plans - Stop kidding yourselves with open floor plans. We don't have time to share knowledge when we're so busy trying to meet impractical deadlines. The company is once again moving about half of its workforce to yet another location, and we all hear that HR is going forward with an open floor plan, even for directors. This is one of THE clearest indication that the company just plain does not care about the research side. HR has taken comments from people in Content, but it's known that HR isn't even considering our thoughts. A mere formality to show us that they care. But you know what? That's not caring. Or, maybe HR is also just trying to assuage all the reviewers here who complain about the cubicle setting and lack of socialization with coworkers. Well, open floor plans are even worse. IMO, the ones complaining are more likely to be the underperforming researchers who have time to socialize to the extent where they prefer open floor plans.

(4) Transparency - None to speak of. The company used to have a different rewards program for researchers, then all of a sudden it changed to something else. We used to have quarterly updates, we have none anymore. We used to have a Hanover newsletter, we do not any more. No explanation. Everything just disappears. Or appears.

(5) Planning - also none of this. If there was, the company would not have to have moved so many times in so few years.

(6) Promotion and salary increases - the CHRO says that salary adjustments are given to those with good performance reviews. This is not true. Salary adjustments are selectively given to those with good performance reviews. Salary adjustments are thrown your way when you leave. Those who stay and perform well must argue for their own raises.

(7) It would help if researchers could rate their CDs and MCDs, after each project or when performance reviews come around. The current system is terrible. in order to review superiors, we have to disclose our names. Hanover believes that researchers are so childish and irresponsible that we are unable to properly review superiors under the cloak of anonymity. Even under anonymity, I have heard stories from other coworkers about being questioned whether they had penned particular reviews on Glassdoor.

Advice to Management

(1) Think about what's most important - the work that researchers do, including quality, obviously, and speed of completion, or showing our faces in meetings that just seem to multiply. We have more and more meetings that are unnecessary. This means less and less time to work on our projects. I think management likes more meetings because it makes it seem like there's knowledge-sharing or professional development, but again mere formalities.

(2) Proactively retain top employees. Otherwise the current unrest in the company will continue to bring about lots of turnover.

(3) Instead of wasting time responding defensively to reviews and trying to weed out the review writers, take what you read in the advice sections and try to understand what they say. These reviews are not here to disparage the company. We all want the company to improve.

(4) I mentioned this earlier, but all Hanover cares about is having bodies to churn out reports ASAP. It likes to say it cares about quality, and held an innovation day to gather ideas about how to improve quality, but only if those ideas result in shorter timeframes. Money, money money. But it should be quality, quality, quality. So, Hanover doesn't care about clients either? It cares only about itself. Itself, being management.

"Good fit for a specific type of person"

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great first job out of college due to the young and fun culture. You can move to a new city with no friends and have no concerns because you will make friends at Hanover. You will bond over your shared misery and stress. Frequent happy hours and social bonding outside of work to relieve said stress and continue to bond over your shared misery. Incentives for time off. There are some genuine good souls at Hanover who care about your success and will notice actions and skills you think go unnoticed. Easy to have faith in the product and see tangible results from the research done by the company. Certainly a character builder.

Cons

Growth is only in the sales sector. Low starting salary. Sales goals are not adjusted to reflect current market conditions except for around the holidays. Work/life balance is poor; it is frowned upon to leave on time and to take your full lunch hour if your performance is not up to par. High pressure environment which never ceases. Employees can be cliquey in an immature high school or college way. Your boss may or may not be interested in being a manager and likely has little to no training in managerial skills. A lot of employees have tunnel vision and do not realize there are opportunities to consider elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Be straightforward about the day to day of the position. Don't make goals that are unattainable outside of a normal 40-hour work week. Take market conditions into consideration. Give Directors some training in managing others or don't force a 1 on 1 relationship. There are other similar companies that are more appealing to young people - take notes.