Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Over the years, the firm has become more attuned to the need for work/life balance as a foundation for sustainable productivity" (in 14 reviews)

• "Company parties and happy hours" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Professional development is nonexistent at mid-levels" (in 12 reviews)

• "On the research side, it's really fast-paced" (in 7 reviews)

"Great place to grow and WORK"

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at several companies, all of which were high-growth environments with smart people. I've learned that there is no perfect company. Each had different strengths and weakness. Of the three, Hanover was the place that I worked the hardest and leaned the most about myself.

I'm giving it 5 stars not because it's a an idyllic place to work (nowhere is), but because it provided me with everything I wanted. I learned new skills, got great experience, and got used to working hard. Importantly, I advanced my career significantly.

I joined as a researcher and later got promoted to a managerial position that afforded me a ton of opportunities to learn new skills. The work is fast-paced and there were times when I felt things were going to go off the rails, but they never did. Ultimately, I learned how to deal with a high-tempo environment - which is a vital skill.

One of the best things is that everyone here is super smart and open-minded. And over the years the various teams have become more integrated, providing opportunities to learn from smart, hard-working folks.

Cons

It's not easy street, especially at the start. You'll learn things on the job in real time. The work comes thick and fast. Sometimes it can feel a bit overwhelming. When I first joined I did question whether I had made I bad choice. BUT as long as you put in the effort you'll receive great support to help you learn.

Again, Hanover isn't perfect. It's a high-growth company that can have teething problems, but nothing that I would consider major or unique. Spending three years there gave me great insight into the challenges a growing company faces.

I understand some of the cons that reviewers have written here, but some reviews seem overly harsh. I would challenge anyone who worked at Hanover right out of college to rethink about their time there in a few years, and then see how the experience at Hanover compares to elsewhere. I bet opinions will change once people realize that a perfect company does not exist - it is all about what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Over the past 12 months things really improved. Keep up the efforts to break down the silos between teams. The more teamwork that can be done, the better.

2. "Business Development Associate"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

A lot of room to grow. If you're hitting your numbers, you can see multiple promotions in the first 1-2 years. Great job for recent graduates, as it's a great place to begin to understand the corporate world. The training program is next to none, and truly sets you up for success. Excellent exposure to Senior Management and C-suite level employees. Genuine camaraderie exists between all teams.

Cons

Hours can be long, especially if you are not hitting your numbers. Being a self-starter is very important - hitting goal is expected and therefore you won't often be celebrated personally for doing so. Often takes bringing something to upper management multiple times before seeing action.

Advice to Management

Listen to the BDA's when they come to you with suggestions, as opposed to head nodding.

"A great place to grow if you're a hard worker"

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Hanover is a fast-growing company with many opportunities for personal and professional growth for people who are hard-working and strong self-advocates. Managers and the management team tend to be deeply invested in their reports' upward growth, and a younger employee at Hanover has a better chance of obtaining a role with more responsibility than at many other companies. Almost every job at Hanover requires a high degree of focus and efficiency, and people who are able to really be 100% "at work" when they are at work will do well.

Cons

The high degree of focus and efficiency required by Hanover can burn some people out, and those looking for a workplace where chatter around the metaphorical "water cooler" takes up time each day may struggle in Hanover's hard-charging environment. The fast growth at Hanover means that changes in the work being conducted, and sometimes in the direction of the organization, should be expected. Some of these changes may be more comfortable than others, depending on your role.

"A Great Place to be a Senior Sales Professional"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a senior sales person my criteria for choosing a company is very specific; there needs to be uncapped commission potential, the culture needs to be meritocracy based, I need associate support and resources to set me up for success, and I want continued development opportunities through training and coaching. Hanover meets all of these needs and I would specifically call out all the resources devoted to supporting my sales process, whether it be thought leadership campaigns for soft touches, the dedicated training and coaching teams for both myself and my associates, or the new collateral being developed and rolled out constantly this company has set me up to succeed.

Hanover has a great office culture, I enjoy coming to work and seeing my peers. In the past I have worked at other firms where some of my fellow sales people didn’t seem to be able to do the job, not so at Hanover, I enjoy working with all my peers and all the sales managers I work with can still get on the phone and close business with the best of them.

Cons

As a result of working with so many great folks I’d like opportunities to interact with my peers outside the office. Hanover does this very well with small team events and happy hours but could do better when it comes to company wide events. The holiday party, formerly a highlight, was downgraded this year from a great venue to a conference center, the day of service that encouraged all team members to go out and help their community has been replaced with a rather vague “week of service” that is easy to forget about or ignore since the company is no longer scheduling events and actively encouraging participation.

I would encourage the company to reinvest in these events and focus on building excitement for community service opportunities rather than putting the onus on employees to figure it out on their own.

Advice to Management

Continue the trend of frequent and transparent communication of company performance, strategy, and goals.

"Summer Intern"

I worked at Hanover Research part-time

Pros

Superiors were accommodating and willing to help interns learn.

Cons

It does not seem like there is much potential to grow from the bottom.

Hanover Research Response

May 10, 2018 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. We have had many of our summer interns either convert to full-time employees at the end of the summer or come back as full-time employees after they graduate. Most... More

"Hanover helped me discover a career path I didnt know existed!"

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover was the first place I began my professional career after graduation. It's also the place that helped me land the career I am in now. I was introduced to a role that I didnt anticipate I would enjoy but has proved to be a long-term career path for me.

While at Hanover as an Associate I got great, customized training and mentorship from a senior leader on the team who had also started her career at Hanover. I was given manageable goals that progressed as I hit my targets. I had access to senior leadership, got to learn from different departments and the opportunity to try different things to determine what part of my function I enjoyed the most.

Cons

With any fast-growing company, there are some natural growing pains. Any new recruit at Hanover should expect to work hard to make an impact. With that being said, there such a strong culture of professional development that career growth is a real objective for every new hire.

"Great culture, great opportunities, great process"

Current Employee - Researcher in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Researcher in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover is a real meritocracy. If you excel, you will get raises and promotions quickly. Most managers actively help you plan your career. If you want to go to grad school they'll hell you strategies on applications; if you want to stay long term, they'll give you opportunities to build skills and get promoted.

Which leads to another point. On the research side, you will gain hard skills that are easily transferred to grad school or other companies. Hanover makes a point of training researchers well, and excels in this area.

As a researcher, you learn a ton. The random and interesting topics you become an expert in are legitimately valuable, professionally and even socially. The work requires you to focus and learn, and it's really intellectually rewarding.

Finally, Hanover does a fantastic job of building strong processes to train, deliver feedback, and streamline production. This helps keep things running smoothly, helps you to know where you stand, and overall makes the hiring, orientation, and day-to-day pleasant and efficient.

Cons

On the research side, it's really fast-paced. You need to be OK with ambiguity, best guesses, and trusting your gut. If you want to get the perfect answer or spend weeks on a topic, this is not a good place to work.

They provide daily free snacks, and frequent free breakfasts and lunches and happy hours. It's easy to gain weight, because the work is sedentary.

The 401k match is mediocre.

Advice to Management

We're growing so fast. Don't lost sight of what makes us awesome.

"It's not easy"

Current Employee - BDA in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - BDA in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my time at Hanover, I've definitely learned a ton. I've developed vital professional skills that will definitely transfer to whatever role I take in the future (here or there). There's definitely a gradual learning curve, but if you are willing to work hard you will see the return (bonus and development). The Associates are great and very supportive of each others' successes.

Cons

You need to hit your numbers and that can certainly result in stressful situations that may require extra hours. (sort of a con, but might be a good thing) Everyone's sales numbers are visible, so it is very apparent if you have a bad week.

Advice to Management

It would be fun if the company held more firm-wide events

"State of Hanover, four years in"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

I have been at Hanover for four years now, serving in a variety of different leadership functions across the company. I hopped on this site last week to gauge how Hanover has been portrayed by current and former employees, and it prompted me to write my own post. Having written precisely zero unsolicited Internet opinions in my life, that action should be a meta-commentary of a sort. Without relitigating any of the more negative reviews, I would be remiss if I didn’t add my proverbial two cents. With that experience under my belt, herewith, a few thoughts:

“Company culture” has been bandied about so often and with so little insight in recent years as to be effectively meaningless; however, if we take it to mean, simply, a company’s people, then Hanover is exemplary. Like many companies in professional services, Hanover attracts individuals with elite intellects and attendant analytical prowess. Unlike many of those same companies, however, Hanover boasts a staff that manages a balance between healthy ambition and cordial, symbiotic collaboration. If you are coming from the consulting world (as I did), for instance, you will find a diametrically different interpersonal environment at Hanover, predicated on mutual respect and trust. It is as (sadly) disorienting as it is welcome.

All of that talent is immaterial, however, in the absence of competent leadership. Hanover checks that box emphatically. From the passionate vision of founder Peter Dodge; to the reliable and dynamic management of CEO Wes Givens; to the reinvigorating intellect, energy and accountability of CCO Anil Prahlad and CGO Vineeta Mooganur; leadership at Hanover is sui generis. There is unquantifiable value in the peace of mind that comes with trust in one’s executive team.

Pivoting outward, how do these corporate attributes manifest themselves in client service? The same pervasive spirit of collaboration – as distinct from parallel execution duties – that defines Hanover’s internal approach to operations also governs our protocol w/r/t our clients. Thoroughly attuned to the fact that sound third-party strategic guidance is predicated on mutual trust, we collaborate with clients early and often, cultivating a relationship that both contributes to and benefits from close coordination. The products are impressive, to be sure; how we create them, however, is where Hanover’s value truly resides.

Hanover has its faults. Many of them have been outlined in previous reviews. I agree with some, and disagree with others. Some, I find baffling. Regardless, I do not intend for this to be a purely reactive counterpoint. Like any teenager, Hanover is at times awkward and frequently imperfect, but the people who work here (at every level) instill trust and optimism. If a reader comes away from this knowing that at least one Hanover employee believes that – and believes it deeply enough to write a few hundred words to that effect – than this was more than worth the time.

Cons

These are covered elsewhere, in painful detail.

"Professional growth, good journey with organization"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Account Management
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Account Management

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Hanover has been highly educational over the last few years. Growing my sales acumen, client service capabilities, and experience managing were all goals when joining the team in 2015. How those goals have manifested themselves in my day to day have varied with new peers, new leadership, and a state of almost constant organizational change. The training and coaching function has recently been built out to support more of a formal skill education, which is fantastic. And the years of informal education in the role have proven invaluable. The ability to continue to learn, grow, and change as Hanover matures has been a valuable lesson that will to allow me to flourish at Hanover now and wherever my career path takes me years down the road. I am extremely thankful for my experience to date and look forward to how Hanover and I will continue to grow together from here. Solid company with the leadership in place to take us to the next stage of growth and maturity. Amazing time to join the team.

Cons

The challenges we have faced at Hanover over the last few years have been in changing as the technology and competitive landscape change. My sense is this frustration is a thing of the past and we are headed in the right direction with a new function built out and Cam, our former Chief Content Officer, shifted into Head of Innovation, specifically leading the way, dedicated to new resources and products. Launching new products, improving processes for some of our research methodologies, and investing in training for sales, account management, and content are making our process more efficient, improving the client experience and ultimately retention.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in talent, improved processes, and maintaining the new levels of transparency into what we are striving for as an organization - and why each cog in the wheel matters. Great growth and improved organizational maturity in the last 12 months, continue the trend!