Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Over the years, the firm has become more attuned to the need for work/life balance as a foundation for sustainable productivity (in 14 reviews)

• Company parties and happy hours (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The leadership has little to NO ethical compass (in 7 reviews)

• Professional development is lacking and even if there is some (in 11 reviews)

"Be ready to work and learn"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with Hanover for almost a year now in the Business Development Associate role. My first job out of college so I really had no idea what to expect. It was a little rough at first - I was terrified of cold calling and had no idea what I was doing and was convinced I was going to get fired every week that I missed my call goals however my manager was really patient and supportive. He sat with me on call blocks to help improve my message, making sure I was crisp and accurate and did my follow-up correctly. I have learned a lot about sales skills like prospecting and writing compelling emails as well as being comfortable on the phone. Now, I am really comfortable in the role and doing well consistently (still have to work at it some weeks) and looking at the next opportunity within Hanover for potential promotion.

Cons

It isn't an 'easy' job. You have to come in early and bust your hump most days to hit your goals. It isn't fun knowing you are behind goal and not going to make a bonus that month but there is always a resource available - a manager, a coworker, etc. - to help. Sometimes it does feel like there are a lot of people giving direction but in the end, they all want to help you success. The people on the team who aren't doing well get a lot of support to improve but when they give up or look like they are doing the bare minimum, the company cuts them pretty quickly. In the beginning, I thought this was really harsh and it freaked me a little but now, almost a year in, I realize that sales isn't for everyone and at some point the time the managers spend on those people is time away from helping people who are doing well.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent about goals and expectations.

"Great Personal and Professional Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Hanover for over three years, staring as an associate and working my way up to the Director level. While sales has its ups and downs, I appreciate the consistent and genuine support I have received and cannot complain about the compensation either! I've worked with 5+ managers during my time at Hanover and they have all encouraged me to think outside of the box and try new ideas, listened to my frustrations and helped me figure out my long term place in the company. I was not initially interested in a career in sales, but was encouraged to try out the position and have now been a Director for a year and a half. I love hearing the positive feedback our clients share about our research and seeing past clients return to Hanover. It is definitely a testament to the quality of the business and keeps me motivated. I've also been given the opportunity to travel to some great cities and the responsibility to take ownership over my territory and strategy.

Cons

I think negative energy can be contagious and people sometimes forget that working at Hanover is still a job and very few jobs are fun and glamorous all the time. There are parts of my job that I love (travel, meeting with clients, learning about the industry), but there are also the more mundane tasks that I don't always love but have still had a huge impact on my success. Hanover has a lot of new college grads and I think it is easy to get hung up on the less fun parts of the job and forget the first part of the "work hard, play hard" mentality. It's important to remember that to be successful, but more importantly truly feel accomplished, you will have to push through challenges along the way.

Additionally, there are times that I wish management was a bit more transparent into the business, but that is something that I've seen start to change across the past few months and I've appreciated the chance to better understand the ins and outs behind the scenes.

Advice to Management

Appreciate and invest in your employees. This job is challenging and can be frustrating at times so I think it's important to recognize the effort people put in every day.

"Work + learn = Opportunity"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-A lot of really intelligent people with a wide variety of backgrounds - the people at the company are great
    -Your performance and upward mobility are really predicated upon your work ethic and willingness to continue learning
    -Great first job to learn the craft of sales with long-term growth potential within the company - cold calling is the best training ground for sales

Cons

-not really a con, but keep in mind that sales is not for everyone and you need to be prepared for the ups and downs

"Where Dreams go to Die"

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These days you have a pretty good job security because management can't afford to lose any more employees

Cons

So here we go.

Awful, Awful, awful...this place really is a nightmare.

I have been here for over a year, and I have been looking for other employment for a majority of the time. The problem is that other reputable organizations do not take Hanover seriously, more the Business development role.

I entered this role hoping to start my career in sales. However as a business development associate, you are given no exposure to the actual sales process. Your role is simply to call prospective clients 8 hours a day. You have the hardest part, getting people on the phone, and yet after that you have no role in making the sale.

The commission is a joke ($300 per meeting that closes in a deal). But don't worry, you won't even earn that because the directors do not know how to close and more importantly, no one wants to do business with us.

My title of this review is extremely accurate of Hanover...Dreams come to die here. You want a career in sales? Avoid this place like the plague.

Advice to Management

You don't take our input so why bother wasting breath on this section

Nov 14, 2017 – CHRO

It is disappointing to read that you haven't found any value in the time you have invested in Hanover Research but still continue to stay at the company. We are upfront during the interview process... More

"Avoid Unless You Have No Other Option"

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people are great
    Team is very young
    Mid-Level management actually cares about you, but not much support to change from higher management

Cons

I would like to preface this by saying that I did not intend to share my review, as I was promised a Letter of Recommendation.

Management thought a colleague's review was my own and refused to give my LoR, so here we are. What a perfect segway to my first con-

• Management treats the team like children and trust is not often given where deserved.

• Seemingly allergic to innovation. Many great ideas go unlistened to.

• Like many, they have an infatuation with hiring "top talent" which is fine, if you're going to have them do "top talent" work- as opposed to figuratively slamming their heads against a brick wall all day.

• The good die young- In my time here, I would estimate the average tenure in this position is 8 months.

• If you want 3-5 bosses breathing down your neck-each one wanting a different outcome with no regard for your well-being, this position is for you.

• Be prepared to "dial for dollars" all day, be stressed you'll lose your job every day, and see all of your best friends get fired/quit nearly weekly. They even hired a guy away from another firm and fired him in 2 weeks because they "didn't have enough directors."

• The recruiting team is full of it. They will tell you you can get promoted in 9 months. the top performers on our team are spending about 1.5 years in seat before even sniffing promotion.

• The pay is awful. 40k salary in one of the country's most expensive cities and as a bonus, they will talk up the commission structure, but won't tell you that only about 30-50% of the team hits it (gets paid) each month.

• Hope you like getting yelled at- you're selling market research which is as un-sexy as it gets. Try calling a CEO at a $1B company and get them excited about research. Its really not great.

• Be ready to be undervalued/expendable. This position/company is an insult to college grads.

• They preach about how they are a "large startup." However, for months, I sat right down the hallway from the CEO and never once did he come to gauge the health of the team.

• Bonus: The coffee machines, on all 3 floors, NEVER work.

Advice to Management

Kill the company, start over.

Seriously though, just read through what I wrote. I think you are all smart enough to find where you need to fix things. Quit focusing so much on the dashboards and spend more time building a strong team that enjoys their work.

It wasn't easy to write, as I consider many of you friends, but people need to see this. Also, our deal was backed out of, so I have no obligation to follow said terms.

Cheers.

"Exciting Start Up Environment Backed by a Strong Corporate Foundation"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

-strong team and great coworkers both inside and outside the workplace
    -exciting new office in SoHo with amazing perks and access to NYC events and culture
    -ability to manage yourself and have opportunities to grow within the business
    -companies rewards high performers with excellent perks, bonuses, and is willing to listen to feedback and requests

Cons

-hours can be long and stressful
    -NYC office is strictly sales so very competitive culture
    -the roles offered within business development start at BDA/BDR career band, so you have to put in a lot of long hours of prospecting, cold outreach, and business building in order to prove yourself and move up in rank (similar to any other company)

"Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ballston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ballston, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're taking on a role at Hanover as a newly minted grad, the company offers a fairly decent work-life balance for entry-level positions. Most roles neatly fit into regular business hours (8-4 or 9-5), which gives you plenty of free time outside of work.

If you tough it out on 30-40 k for the first couple of years, it is very likely that you'll be promoted and offered an opportunity to manage research teams in due course. Also, tenured staff can benefit from rapid company growth since the portfolio of client assignments keeps expanding.

Cons

Too many to consider staying at Hanover long-term. Entry-level research, strategy and business development roles are nothing more than repetitive and mind-numbing tasks that could easily be carried out by administrative assistants with high school degrees. As one of the other reviews pointed out, primary research is just window dressing for day-to-day cold calling and digging out confidential company information from Linkedin contacts over the phone.

Granted, professional development opportunities are offered to all employees on a regular basis, but very few of these actually help you become a more effective employee. It is debatable whether - if at all - specific training opportunities translate to, say, higher weekly sales, better rapport with clients etc.

Another pervasive issue that I couldn't help but notice is the lack of transparent performance ratings. Entry-level associates typically receive a set of scores for each specific project they work on. That said, certain assessment categories are overly vague and highly subjective, which makes it hard to tell how well you are doing compared to other employees in the same role.

Because of this, it is not unusual to do exceptionally well in one project and completely fail in another one. On that note, your personal success in certain roles (such as primary research) might just be a matter of luck since it depends on how many people pick up the phone or express interest in market research. Even if you work at the company for several years, your professional success might essentially just boil down to how you come across on the phone. I have personally seen first-hand a couple of people getting fired/laid off (or magically disappearing) within the first couple of months, which calls your own job security into question.

As for the overall company culture, the good ole boys frat ethos is alive and well - very few top-ranking employees are women or minorities, and it is astounding how slowly this is changing. Tight social cliques across virtually all practice areas make it difficult to get to know your co-workers better, since folks fall back on their alumni networks and rarely branch out to other teams.

Although there is a whole slew of buzzwords floating around that suggest openness to employee feedback and participation, the firm structure appears to be fairly rigidly hierarchical - entry-level employees are basically cogs in the machine. Company turnover remains very high and this most certainly reflects badly on Hanover's reputation.

Advice to Management

Diversify the management structure to align corporate strategy with the research and education practice areas, rather than keeping the C-suite completely detached from what is going on 'in the trenches'.

Ensure that entry-level roles are varied and challenging - otherwise, you risk losing some of the very best people.

Community building and open communication can help foster a stronger sense of company culture and bolster individual accountability.

Aug 29, 2017 – Chief Content Officer

Thank you for your feedback. It is true that we ensure that entry-level employees are trained thoroughly, both for their own development and to ascertain that we are delivering high-quality product... More

"Toxic Organization"

Former Employee - BDA in New York, NY
    Former Employee - BDA in New York, NY

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok compensation at first but not worth it once you see how awful the company/job is.

Cons

I worked in the New York office and I have never in my life been exposed to such a toxic environment. The managing director was inappropriate and spoke poorly about various employees and the company itself on multiple occasions. I noticed the response a company representative gave to a prior review addressing the same issues, responding that employees underwent appropriate work behavior training and "no complaints have been made since"...do not be fooled... the only reason there haven't been recent complaints is because all the women in the office have quit in the past 6 months!

A good amount of the company's leadership is inexperienced, as they have spent most of their career at the company in business development, rather than in their current field. (Ex. most of the HR team has no HR background prior to Hanover so that probably explains why the inappropriate work behavior in the New York office continued for so long).

Advice to Management

Get new management.

Sep 15, 2017 – Chief Growth Officer

Our New York office has definitely experienced some challenges as a new office in a new city and we’ve had to adapt our approach across the last 6 months to address those issues. There is no silver... More

"AVOID AT ALL COSTS"

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none, they make you believe you will be a valuable asset to their "business development" team but all you do is cold call. During my time there they got rid of any sort of professional development because it was taking away from "phone time". They do not value any sort of innovation to the current business development system, and question you when you approach a prospect using your own technique. Horrible and toxic working environment.

Cons

Too many to list. This place is a scam.

Advice to Management

you should make your education qualifications for business development associates high school degrees. It is a dishonor to a college degree to call this a graduate level position.

Sep 15, 2017 – Chief Growth Officer

Thank you for your feedback. It was disappointing to read that you found no value in your time at Hanover. The Business Development Associate role is an entry level sales role with the main purpose... More

"Responsiveness and Opportunity over Time"

Current Employee - Managing Director
    Current Employee - Managing Director

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Having worked for Hanover for the better part of a decade, I have seen the company mature through many stages of growth and development. While this may not be the experience of all employees, I have come to gain understanding, to get to propose and implement positive changes, and to appreciate improvements over time at this (still relatively young) firm. As I am now in a management role, I have been able to see how the company works to balance business strategies and imperatives with a desire to create opportunities and provide support to staff. I feel supported and respected by my supervisor in advocating for my team while we work together to balance business needs. As Hanover grew out of a start-up phase, its leadership team recognized the need to invest in training and in strengthening communication. These priorities are beginning to bear fruit. The talent Hanover recruits is exceptional. The firm requires employees to learn quickly, to produce high quality work from the onset, and to manage a challenging workload; my colleagues do a remarkable job of balancing these expectations. Over the years, the firm has become more attuned to the need for work/life balance as a foundation for sustainable productivity. We enjoy generous PTO benefits, very good health and retirement benefits, and maternity and paternity leave. I've heard several colleagues -- most of them mid-career professionals -- describe Hanover as one of the best jobs they've had, and one of the most supportive employers they've worked for. For my part, I appreciate the many opportunities for professional growth and challenge that Hanover has afforded, as well as the compassion the company has extended me and my colleagues at various points across our tenure. I recommend that employees searching for their footing here speak up about their concerns and ideas, and balance the suggestion of solutions with patience for the firm's capacity to assimilate the impacts of rapid growth. Many Hanover employees have had an experience like mine of navigating their way over time into roles they really enjoy. To those who ultimately move on from Hanover, I would anticipate that the skills and capacities gained here will benefit them in future employment.

Cons

I agree with some other reviews that acknowledge the opportunities created by Hanover's emphasis on growth over the past decade, while pointing to new avenues for improvement as the firm matures. I believe an important aspect that can still be shored up is the cultivation of a more concrete and widely shared sense that the day-to-day work being done is having a meaningful impact on our clients and the communities or markets they serve. The link is there, but it is not always tangible to front line employees. What can leaders do to cultivate a more embedded sense of mission, such that this orientation helps to guide decision making at every level? While many at Hanover have enjoyed the experience of relatively rapid career progression into roles that provide a great variety of challenges, I worry that many talented employees run the risk of burning out in roles that can be honed after a few years and then become (for some) repetitive or tedious. Could investments in collaborative product creation and service delivery allow more employees to benefit from a variety of tasks, challenges, and encounters with real world impact? I am aware that there are avenues within Hanover for proposing ideas around these challenges, and I look forward to continuing to utilize them.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on investing in employees, and on retaining employees who have invested considerable time and talent across their tenure. Hanover does an excellent job of recruiting intelligent, skilled, and passionate people. Sharing the dividends of growth through competitive compensation, good benefits, challenging work, and meaningful impact will, I believe, result in continued gains in quality, productivity, innovation, and growth over time. Hanover already does much of that well, and given the past trajectory I anticipate continued gains and improvements into the future. To support the firm's long term success, continue to cultivate a culture of collaboration across divisions, creating a context in which employees across Content and between Content and Revenue can work together to discern, devise, and present strategic solutions for our clients.