Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Over the years, the firm has become more attuned to the need for work/life balance as a foundation for sustainable productivity" (in 14 reviews)

• "Company parties and happy hours" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Professional development is nonexistent at mid-levels" (in 12 reviews)

• "On the research side, it's really fast-paced" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Solid starting point"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Hanover for just about 2 years and as my first job out of graduate school, I have enjoyed my time and have learned a lot. Coming from school with very little work experience, I was nervous about taking on a role that requires a lot of independent work but my first few weeks of training gave me a good foundation and I was able to keep developing new skills by leaning on the trainers and my peers. The first few projects were challenging but with a PL overseeing the work, I got the hang of what clients expected quickly. My coworkers are great and I get to work autonomously on projects now.

Cons

After the first year, the training and professional development opportunities slow down. I was able to learn a few programs like Tableau and R in my first year but haven't had much opportunity for additional learning in my second year. It would be great if external PD was available for employees after their first or second year in the role. I'm not sure if I want to stay in market research long term so building on my professional experiences is valuable to me right now.

Advice to Management

Please consider investing in more professional development opportunities for employees in their second/third/beyond years of employment.

"Hanover is a BUSINESS!"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Ballston, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Ballston, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The healthcare benefits were good. There appeared to be a pretty equal number of men and women on the team that I worked on. The company also has some pretty decent perks (e.g. company field day, random team days off, tickets to Redskins games). Ballston is a good location for an office. The company also does a good job of hiring very smart researchers with strong academic research experience (many researchers are master's and PhD holders).

Oh and snacks. Lots of free snacks.

Cons

As the title of this review indicates, I would encourage potential interviewees for research positions to recognize that Hanover is a business striving to achieve substantial annual profits before anything. They market themselves as a research/information services firm, and they hire employees with strong academic research training. But any researcher with at least undergraduate level training would probably cringe at how some of the research is done (at least on the team that I worked on). This is not to say that Hanover is a poor research firm, but interviewees should not expect to apply the same research rigor they may have learned in academia and/or previous jobs. The priority is providing a high-quality product for their clients; not conducting high-quality research projects (at least on the team that I worked on). To me, the research positions at Hanover are good for young researchers to learn and use technical research skills on a daily basis (e.g. using excel, SPSS, programming surveys into Qualtrics), but not quite learning the minutiae of completing rigorous research projects.

I could touch on a number of other cons I experienced while working at Hanover, such as the incredibly fast turnover rate for lower-level researchers. I would estimate that there was a 50%-65% turnover rate on the team that I worked on while I was employed at Hanover for one year. I suppose turnover rate isn't a horrible stain on an organization, but it does make you feel some kind of way when people you work with daily are leaving frequently.

But the primary con I want to touch on is the lack of diversity. To Hanover's credit they appeared to have a pretty equal mix of men and women, as well as international employees (at least on the team I worked on). However, on the education research team, on which I worked for a year, there was only one (maybe 2??) employees of black or latinx background. The upper ranks of the education research team was also not very diverse during my time there. Hanover does well of hiring women and international employees, so it was discouraging to see such a lack of prioritization for hiring employees of color (at least on the education research team). Hanover also has a number of interest groups that employees may join, including a diversity group. So considering the representation of women across the research team and the diversity interest group, how does the education research team go a whole year without hiring black or latinx employee?

Last thing...snacks!
    The snacks were too healthy! Can we get some real cheetos please?!

Advice to Management

I would encourage you to conduct a diversity assessment. Perhaps even one of your own employees could create the survey. Also, I imagine you could avoid the consistently poor reviews on Glassdoor from ex and current researchers if you calibrated their expectations of the job during the interview phase. In other words, researchers expectations of the research rigor are incredibly inflated to what the reality is.

"Great experience, "churn and burn" management styles"

Former Employee - Content Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Content Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart colleagues, nice office, quality research tools, accessible C-Suite and growth opportunities.

Cons

Soft line drawn for work/life balance. Minimal compensation and benefits. Quick project turnaround times that don't allow for quality assurance. Felt dispensable as a mid-level researcher.

Advice to Management

Rather than silently building cases against your employees to save money on promotions, address issues as they arise so they can be empowered researchers.

Dec 11, 2018 – Chief Content Officer

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. I’m sorry to read that you felt that your compensation and benefits didn’t meet your expectations. We’re upfront with all applicants about the salary bands for... More

"Awful"

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Option for remote work 1 day per week or to go remote full time if you move. Some nice people you can make friends with.

Cons

Sometimes, other employees don't treat you very well. They are overly judgemental and negative about other people in a way that inhibits teamwork and collaboration. If they practiced judging others with humility and empathy, they would have a better work environment.

Advice to Management

Create a more team-oriented environment. Close the pay gap between content directors and researchers many of whom are not qualified but are paid more.

Dec 5, 2018 – CHRO

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your time at Hanover Research. I'm sorry to read that you don't feel like you are treated well. This is unusual feedback as most employees, including the... More

"Great job, great people , tough sale"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Very enjoyable group of people from coworkers to bosses. Very understanding bosses who make an effort to make it an enjoyable work place.

Cons

Tough sale on the corporate side. Many people come in with their beliefs of how to do sales at other organizations and struggle.

"Business Development Associate"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

none really not a great company

Cons

Micromanagement is their favorite thing.

Nov 5, 2018 – CHRO

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It is disappointing to read that you are not enjoying your time at the company and do not see our growth as positive. The Development Associate role is an entry... More

"Free Candy"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

The benefits or good and work are interesting. There was somebody reviewing this company about the free candy and some sort of eating disorder and all I can say is to get some self-control girl. I'm pretty sure I know who you are.

Cons

The scope provided for a project is sometimes unrealistic. The methods they use are not sound, so for anybody in academics, it may make you want to puke. It's odd that there are some PHDs here that just go along with it, but I think they are just here for the paychecks.

Advice to Management

Please try to limit the number of fake reviews that you post about yourself, or at the very least don't be so obvious about it.
    On second thought, please! Keep those 5-star reviews coming so everyone can see through this charade.

Sep 17, 2018 – Chief Content Officer

Thank you for your feedback.

You are correct that the business research we do is distinct from academic research; our clients are looking for the insights into running their businesses that we... More

"Not Employee Friendly"

Current Employee - Analyst in Ballston, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Ballston, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ballston isn't a bad place for an office

Cons

If you're considering working at Hanover as a researcher, there are a few important things to know, most important of which is that your satisfaction is secondary. The culture is solely focused on getting clients to renew at all costs, which will require being asked to do an unrealistic amount of work in an unrealistic period of time, and often being told to conduct research using methods that are questionable, at best. And you're doing this while being paid below market value. If Hanover has determined that this is how the business needs to be conducted to be profitable, then fair enough. But there are other companies out there who have managed to prioritize their employees as a vital part of their success. Hanover just isn't one of them, which is why they struggle with retention and so many people are looking to leave.

I drafted what I wrote above a couple of days before posting it, and just saw the response from the Chief Content Officer in the previous review, so I'll add more. Saying that we 'never take any shortcuts as to research rigor' just isn't true, and there's no other way to put it. Everything is about getting things done as quickly as possible. When the culture is all about efficiency, you're inherently going to sacrifice rigor. It's common sense. As a researcher, you have very little interaction with superiors, and I've had no interaction with the Chief Content Officer and there's no other method to communicate this. So I'll just say, if you actually think it's true that shortcuts aren't taken, then go ahead and get feedback from your analysts and they can tell you the shortcuts they've had to take to get work done in the time allotted. Or actually audit some of the research yourself. Ask what steps were taken in a project to ensure that findings and insights are accurate and reliable. Know that this misrepresentation frustrates a lot of your current employees. Hanover is research done quickly at low cost (and there's nothing wrong with that, there's a market for it!). But if you're a fast food restaurant, don't pretend you're cooking in a gourmet kitchen. It's probably best not to know how the sausage gets made.

And about the padded reviews: there was a one star review on August 6 which was harsh, and the company responded on August 8. The very next day there are two 5 star reviews, and another on August 13. That's three 5 star reviews within a week of a one star review; prior to this, the previous two 5 star reviews were in May and March. Also, just look at the ratings trends. The overall rating went from a 3 to a 3.7 in about a year, and considering the quantity of ratings Hanover has, it takes A LOT of positive ratings to get the number to move that much in that period of time. And things haven't changed in the last year to warrant such an uptick in positive ratings. This isn't definitive proof, but if a company were to pad its reviews the evidence would probably look something like this.

Sep 24, 2018 – Chief Content Officer

Thank you for your feedback. As an AMA Top 50 firm for three years running (an accomplishment we are very proud of achieving) we have to have a compelling employee and client value proposition. We... More

"Great People, Maturing Company"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard work is rewarded
    Good healthcare & PTO
    Access to senior management
    Professional development opportunities

Hanover has a lot of good things going. I thoroughly enjoy the people I work with, I feel like I am given the tools to succeed, and the coaching to help me when I need it. You will learn a lot in this position (BDA and SDA) that will stick with you for a long time - work hard, even when things aren't going exactly your way, ask for help when you need it, and give back to others when you get to a point that you're able to.

Overall, I have had a very positive experience at Hanover and feel like I have learned a lot. I look forward to moving up and gaining new responsibilities because I feel like I am ready for them.

I would recommend to a friend and I have, multiple times.

Cons

Any sales job can be tough at times

Hanover isn't perfect, no company is. We sometimes get a bad rap because this is the first place many people work and they come in with unrealistic expectations. You need to show up when you're supposed to, work hard, and generally do what is expected of you. This isn't college anymore. You can't skip class, you have actual responsibility, and you don't deserve anything just because you're here - you have to earn it. Some people aren't ready to handle that.

If you do these things, you will do just fine. I certainly have not been a perfect associate - I have had my fair share of trials and tribulations, and every time, I have had people take the time to help me out and get me back on the right track, and I'm very thankful for that.

Advice to Management

Keep investing time in your younger employees and their success. The good ones appreciate it and the bad ones never will.

"Better and Better"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

I have worked here for a long time. The company is honest with itself about its challenges and works hard to address all of them. Progress is being made all the time.

Cons

The level of accountability is exceptionally high. If you need the occasional day to sit around and do nothing, look elsewhere.