Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

Pros
  • In my experience, the managers really do care about their entry level employees, such as their professional development and work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Company parties and happy hours (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The leadership has little to NO ethical compass (in 7 reviews)

• Professional development is lacking and even if there is some (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Place to Start Off"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of the negative reviews on this site, particularly from the researcher side, may have something to do with the fact that this is many people's first job out of undergrad or grad school. After leaving Hanover, I have started to see it in a new light. I truly believe that it is a good company. Some specific pros are:

- I worked 40 hour weeks, honestly.
    - I think I opened my laptop over the weekend twice.
    - We got extra time off for hitting team performance goals.
    - The people are phenomenal. It's a built in social circle for a young professional
    - I learned a ton about publicly available data (IPEDS, Census, etc)
    - There's a team of former researchers whose only job is to provide training.
    - I got a lot of good writing experience (completed over 30 reports)
    - My job here provided a nice entree into the higher education sector

Cons

Okay, there are a couple of cons.

- Communication: The culture does not emphasize the communication necessary to complete high quality projects within given deadlines. Timelines are admittedly short, but setting a reasonable scope and checking in daily about progress would make a world of difference. The current practice of sending daily research updates does not work well, as many managers are too busy to read the whole email, let alone a full draft of a report. I think it would be best to institute an open door policy for management, and to require they check in with their researchers face to face or on the phone once per day. If that's too much, researchers should at least be encouraged to email their CDs any time they have a question that impacts the direction of the research. I recall being told early on that we were hired because we could work independently and didn't need to interact with management. I believe this is a bad idea to propagate. Communication always improves work product.
    - Pay: Not great compared to some other sectors, but given the 40 hour weeks, it's absolutely fair.

Advice to Management

You have a good company, and with a few small changes you can make it great.

Jan 16, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you saw value in your time at Hanover and developed your skills. Not all first jobs offer new graduates this opportunity. Our timelines are short ... More

2. "Great Place for College Grads Interested in Sales"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

Pros

The company culture at HR is very unique in that there is a work hard-play hard mentality and employees are encouraged to enjoy their time outside the office together. Many company- and team-wide incentives like happy hours, boat cruises around the city, and sports outings are offered. Competitive compensation balances out the not-so-competitive salary. Good opportunities for growth if sales is something you are interested in pursuing long-term. Because of the Associate-Director-Managing Director relationship on each team, upper management is easily accessible and very willing to listen to any recommendations/hesitations you may have. Run-ins with upper management is very common and not something you find at every company.

Cons

While HR is valued as a meritocracy, majority of the C-Suite Execs are quite young and haven't experienced many other companies outside of HR. Because of this, there is room for managerial improvement.

As for the role itself, sales is sales so make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you dive in. The job can become tedious and frustrating, and it's easy to feel like you are putting in more time and work than what is being produced and recognized (which is typical of many jobs).

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your associates are leaving before it's too late

Jul 11, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you had a positive experience during your time at Hanover. Entry level sales roles can be challenging, as you mentioned, but the skills acquired provide an ... More

"Learned a lot"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Ballston, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Ballston, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover was my first job out of college. I graduated from a good school with a degree in International Relations and had a tough time finding a job in my field so I was very grateful when I got an offer from Hanover for a RA job. The recruiter was upfront about the salary when I interviewed and the offer was at that exact salary. I did negotiate a little bit higher but knew I would be making an entry level salary just out of school with no work experience. It paid less than some of the consulting companies I had interviewed with (didn't get any offers there) but more than the one think tank job I was offered. It took me a while to get used to the pace of the work. My first few months were rough and I struggled to find my feet but got a lot of support from my PM and the L&D staff. Once I got used to the workflow and learned how to make better use of my time, projects became less daunting and I felt like I was thriving. There were so many opportunities to learn things outside of my job - I went to lunch and learns and brownbags and attended a lot of training sessions for research methodologies I had no experience in so I felt like my year and a half really prepared me for graduate school and some of the more advanced statistical courses I am taking. I got promoted once with a pay bump (not big but it was nice to see hard work rewarded) and got a lot of feedback that helped me improve my writing skills.

Cons

The pace is tough. It can get exhausting at times. Some projects are boring but they don't last more than a week or two at the most. While most people are nice, there is a small group of 'mean girls' that huddle together at lunch, happy hours and other social events griping and complaining about everything. They make it clear that if you don't want to join in their commiserating that you are not welcome in their social group. I did my best to avoid them but their nastiness was contagious at times. I was happy when they started to leave the company. I know some people were worried about attrition but I was relieved to see them go even if it meant more work for me until new hires joined the company. While I learned a lot, I knew I didn't want a career in market research or education so even if I didn't go to graduate school, I would have moved on from Hanover at my 2 year mark.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to staff who have positive ideas for improvements and stop listening to the complainers. It does sometimes feel like it is hard to be heard over the noise of the whining so sometimes good ideas are not shared.

"Hanover is a perfectly fine place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Content Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Content Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So I'm currently in my fourth year of working for Hanover (in research) and have been following Glassdoor reviews for a while ... I've grown so annoyed with the inaccuracies in these reviews that I feel compelled to post a defense of Hanover. It's not a perfect company but it's way way better than the negative reviews suggest. (Also I can only speak to the research side of things, as I haven't spent time in sales.)

The only legitimate complaints are:

(1) salaries are a bit low
    (2) there can occasionally be tight deadlines on projects, which can lead to lower quality
    (3) projects within certain company divisions can be repetitive
    (4) the executive team is a bit disconnected, too focused on sales, etc.

On (1), yes, starting salaries are a bit low, but promotions are plentiful; I make 25% more than when I started, and this is staying within the research track. CDs often have a pay jump of 30%-50% upon promotion, and CD salaries in general (especially in MIC) are very competitive for the DC area. Plus the benefits at Hanover are legitimately impressive; health insurance and 401k are good (though not great), and the PTO is amazing. You start with 18 days of PTO per year and it goes up a day each year, along with 12 paid holidays ... at this point I have 34 workdays off per year, which is seriously at like European levels.

(2) The idea that product quality is extremely low is simply absurd. Many of the project types (especially those assigned to new researchers) are very straightforward; a client wants a program demand so we grab the data from IPEDS, and boom, there you go; the client is happy, product quality is literally perfect as long as the Hanover employee was able to correctly use a database. But generally speaking, yes, there's a fair amount of secondary research (using Google is basically required for this). The whole point of Hanover's business model is that it's a relatively low-cost option for custom research, an alternative to the Advisory Board Company or an internal hire; so of course the clients aren't expecting 100-page best practices reports that answer every question perfectly. Yes, not every report is going to be infinitely high quality, but the clients are very well aware, as this is literally Hanover's business model; target middle-market clients and offer them a low-cost custom research option (we're now targeting some higher-end clients, but this was basically the model until recent months). Also, from a researcher perspective, I mean, cry me a river; you have to finish projects on somewhat tight deadlines, sometimes. Welcome to reality. If it's taking you 70 hours a week to finish your entry-level research projects (as one of the reviewers claimed) then honestly I'm worried about your future at any job; the projects they give to new employees are not difficult for any intelligent adult. I don't mean to be insulting, but seriously, it's not rocket science. It makes me wonder if maybe some of the 24-year-olds writing these negative reviews just aren't cut out to do research for a living? Or were shocked to find that actual employment is more difficult than their senior year of college? Maybe!

On (3): projects are repetitive when you first start at Hanover because management is trying to help you out by assigning easy, similar projects. After a year or two, you're either a CD or doing varied interesting work (I do different projects all the time). But I guess starting new researchers with simple, repetitive work because they're still learning the ropes makes Hanover the worst company ever.

On (4), sure, there was perhaps a slightly excessive sales focus a while; the company is now (quite rightly) focusing on product quality and developing deeper client relationships, so, there you go.

Judging from some of these reviews, you would think that Hanover only hires naive 22-year-olds; however, this is not the case. The quant team has plenty of experts in statistical analysis; the consultants on the grants team (average age = 40) have expertise and have written successful grant proposals for billions of dollars combined. I wonder if the people writing these negative reviews just didn't stay at Hanover long enough to work with senior researchers? The average employee has worked at Hanover for 2-3 years, which is pretty normal for a company with a relatively younger workforce (i.e., people in their 20s who switch jobs constantly) based in Washington D.C. (i.e., the home of transient graduate students). Most of the people that I know who have quit Hanover were either going back to get their Ph.D or found another job. Hanover also has more promotions and more opportunities for advancement than any place I've ever worked at or even heard of. Performance reviews and firing/promotion decisions are absurdly transparent; I've never received so much detailed feedback about why I was or was not given a promotion or a raise.

In short, Hanover is a perfectly fine place to work, and is easily my favorite workplace out of the 4-5 jobs I've had in the DC area.

Cons

[See above for more details]

"Great Talent"

Former Employee - Business Development in Ballston, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Ballston, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As you can probably read even in the less than stellar reviews, Hanover's biggest strength is its ability to find great staff. To this day, I stay in touch with friends who have moved to new companies and some who are still at the company.

I also really appreciated the latitude I had within my role to grow our team and to try to find new ways we could work with different types of organizations. Some methods worked and some didn't, but I enjoyed working alongside by manager to better learn the market in order to find better ways to meet their needs within Hanover's business model.

Cons

As with any company, I was there through a couple "peaks and valleys" in terms of employee morale. Both "good times" I experienced were immediately preceded "tough times." I think others would agree that the catalyst for the quick switch (from a bad to a good time) in both cases was an acknowledgement that overly-aggressive goals were set, and that there would be a commitment to reset aggressive, yet attainable benchmarks.

For those who have been with Hanover long enough to see the pattern, things do turn around if you keep your head down and do your job. The downside is that if you start working during one of these "down times," you may have a less than positive impression of the company which will impact your own morale.

As an aside, I've heard that things are back on the upswing lately (seems to be within the pattern I describe), so I'm happy that my friends who are still there are currently in good spirits.

Advice to Management

As I believe Hanover is moving into a new stage of the growth cycle (now at over 1,000 clients - congrats), focus can still be on aggressive growth, but I believe the company would benefit from hiring industry expertise for some types of clients in order to continue growth into new sectors that seemingly require different types of expertise (or clients we sign, but don't renew due to the lack of industry experience required).

The shift would not only help to meet new client demands, but would also open up new career path options for staff who may want to hone more of an industry expertise as opposed to a research methodology expertise.

"Lots of learning, little earning."

Current Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, engaging atmosphere. Coworkers are generally intelligent and fun to be around. Company sponsors fun events for staff regularly. Employees are evaluated regularly, and I've found management to be helpful and encouraging.

The work itself is great for people who want to work with meaningful, interesting data, and who want to learn market research from experts in the field. Working at Hanover means being around smart, driven individuals.

Cons

Hanover does not pay well for this area and this type of work.

Advice to Management

Offer some performance-based bonus incentives.

Oct 7, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your time at Hanover and making the most of the opportunity to learn from the smart, kind and talented individuals around you. I ... More

"Great company, not so great pay"

Current Employee - Research Intern in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Intern in Arlington, VA

Pros

Hanover has a very friendly and open company culture, as well as very engaging and challenging work. The timelines are short so you will always get to work on new assignments.

Cons

The pay is pretty low for the level of talent Hanover is trying to attract.

Oct 6, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your internship experience at Hanover. We review our intern program annually including the hourly rate to ensure that we are remaining competitive ... More

"Overall Satisfied"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Great co-workers. Continuous feedback. I've been able to achieve a healthy work/life balance. The company rewards employees and adjusts compensation based on performance. Able to function more autonomously over time. Provides opportunities to socialize with co-workers. Work is challenging and feels fulfilling, but that could be sector-specific. Great opportunities for mentoring. Extensive mentoring/training for new employees.

Cons

Experience may differ greatly based on content team or specialty area. Deadlines can be tight, but this is communicated during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Overall I'm satisfied, committed, and generally fulfilled, but I was very disappointed by the recent presentation of the content-team survey results. It seemed defensive and instead of saying "we hear you and here's how we're responding" it felt like "we hear you, but this is why your perceptions are inaccurate." However, I don't think this is how the company actually feels.

Oct 7, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you are enjoying your time at Hanover. I am sorry that the tone during the recent content satisfaction survey presentation came across as ... More

"Good place to start your research career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Young company and there are opportunities for growth
    - Research team is incredibly smart and intelligent
    - People are very friendly and helpful. Coworkers go above and beyond to help out fellow researchers.
    - Researchers work on projects across a variety of industry. Constant opportunity to expand your knowledge and skill set
    - Activities involving employees are organized regularly (field day, community services, happy hours etc.)
    - Some professional development training programs and workshops are available
    - Some flexibility in terms of work hours. Generally projects are assigned for a set number of days and if you manage your time well, there is a good work-life balance.
    - Some flexibility in terms of working remotely.
    - 18 days of PTO is not bad and it accrues as well.

Cons

- base salary for researchers is relative low
    - no bonuses or overtime compensation
    - retaining top talents is sort of an issue and is mostly because of low salaries

Advice to Management

- improve researcher compensation and benefits
    - although significant improvements were made in terms of offering professional development opportunities, we would like to see this continue and want more sophisticated and specialized training opportunities.
    - if not possible to provide specialized training, support researcher to receive it from external sources.

Sep 9, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your time at Hanover. Our co-workers are really remarkable and are true representatives of Hanover's service driven ... More

"Read if Considering Internship at Hanover Research"

Current Intern - Research Intern in Arlington, VA
    Current Intern - Research Intern in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- As an intern, the company entrusts you with substantive work. This is rare in an internship. Most of the time, you will feel well-utilized and like an asset to the company.
    - If you express concerted interest in a specific type of research or methodology, management will do their best to expose you to it. They quickly tap into your research strengths and weaknesses.
    - Everyone is bright. Conversations with coworkers are opportunities to learn about research and beyond.
    - Opportunities for learning about other departments and aspects of the company are available, and even encouraged, to ensure that interns understand Hanover as a holistic entity. In general, Hanover seems to care about your professional development.
    - The formal intern program includes many scheduled social events and opportunities to get to know Hanoverians outside of the work environment. It was a nice touch.
    - The company recognizes that interns (and all employees) are human. Snacks are plentiful and delicious.
    - The pay is generous for an internship outside of I-banking and financial services. It is definitely livable, if costs are a concern for any aspiring Hanover Interns.
    - If you make the most out of your time at Hanover, you will come away from this experience with quantifiable, tangible, and transferable research skills. These are huge assets in a young person's career in almost any industry.

Cons

- The work environment is quiet and solitary, almost library-esque. For the type of work, however, a quiet environment is almost a necessity. Just be sure you want to work in a quieter environment.
    - At times, you may have to ask for more work, depending on the workflow, but that is to be expected in many internships.

Aug 19, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad to read that you had a positive internship experience and enjoyed working at Hanover. We also think the internship program is an excellent training ... More