Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

Pros
  • In my experience, the managers really do care about their entry level employees, such as their professional development and work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Company parties and happy hours (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The leadership has little to NO ethical compass (in 7 reviews)

• Hanover will say they invest in your professional development and that there is upward mobility, this is true to "some" extent (in 9 reviews)

"Business Development Associate"

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Coworkers
    -Good commission and incentives
    -Fast promotion timeline
    -Good amount of PTO
    -Community Service Events
    -Associate Outings and Happy Hours

Cons

-Role can be a grind at times
    -Success can be dictated by the territory you're placed in

Advice to Management

Keep lines of communication open!

Jul 29, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to make our entry level roles as engaging as possible with plenty of opportunities to learn. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your time here.

"Enjoy working here"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Ballston, VA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Ballston, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The work is quite varied, which means two things: a) access to a lot of experience, such as different industries, quantitative and qualitative research methods, and platforms. b) plenty of opportunities to feel like you're working with something new and avoid feeling bored.
    -The people you work with are often smart and entertaining.
    -In my experience, the managers really do care about their entry level employees, such as their professional development and work-life balance.

Cons

-The varied work means that deadlines can sometimes feel arbitrary or overly strict.
    -Everyone can be so focused on their own work that individual employees might learn a better way to do something and it will take a while to get the word out. However, there are clear steps to correct this.

May 11, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you are enjoying your time at Hanover.

"A Rewarding Meritocracy"

Former Employee - Development Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development Director in Washington, DC

Pros

DC/VA is an amazing, vibrant environment for young professionals. Compensation was higher than I expected, and the intellectual firepower in every department was impressive. I was given flexibility from my sales role to explore and develop new markets. Not a lot of hand holding or micromanagement, but plenty of support from senior management when needed.

Cons

For sales people, this is a competitive environment with some really hard-working, experienced peers. Bumping into each other from time to time over strategy and tactics is a given, and if you're not accustomed to making data-driven arguments and suggestions, you'll flounder.

Advice to Management

I appreciated the opportunities to connect with other departments outside of my own. Learning about their work helped me understand how best to tailor our services to our prospective clients. More of those types of interactions are always great.

Jul 29, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback. I agree that our people are smart and driven regardless of department. Your recommendation about more cross-departmental collaboration is helpful and we have just ... More

"Great place to learn and grow in a professional capacity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Helpful and thorough training period
    -Generous and flexible PTO
    -Friendly and supportive atmosphere
    -Supportive management and team who are approachable and available
    -Company parties and happy hours

Cons

-Depending on the project you are working on, hours may be long and stressful, but this comes with the territory of working in research
    -Much faster pace than initially expected but my manager worked with me to deal with the added stress

Advice to Management

Keep more of an open line of communication with all employees, not just managers. Coffee Chats are helpful but make them less formal so employees are more comfortable voicing their concerns.

May 11, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you are enjoying your time at Hanover. We do strive to keep lines of communication open and will consider a less formal approach to the coffee ... More

"Very happy here"

Current Employee - Senior Development Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Development Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been at Hanover for almost four years and am quite happy. While no firm is perfect, Hanover does a lot to keep its employees happy and engaged. I'm in a sales role and am often contacted by recruiters - whom I talk to - but there are a few reasons why I prefer a sales role at Hanover to the other opportunities that have been presented to me:

1. Customers are very happy with the product. This is of course a non-negotiable for me - I wouldn't be willing to sell a service/product that I did not believe was in my prospect's best interest, but it is exciting to hear from accounts that I have closed about the value that Hanover is providing them, and that they are referring our services to other prospective customers within their network.

2. It's a highly consultative sale which keeps things interesting. With Hanover's custom research model, I can't think of a type of sale that can get any more consultative than this. I talk with prospects about their challenges and explore how research projects can identify new solutions. Every conversation is different. I think I might get bored or frustrated selling software or syndicated research - trying to fit a square peg in a round hole by reframing a prospect's challenges in attempt to match them with the proposed solution or product.

3. I can serve as a consultative thought-partner and valuable resource. Even if a prospect does not end up engaging in a contract, they find tremendous value in the discussion from the market insight I can provide (from talking with numerous peers in the market on a constant basis) and the research reports that I send as follow-up.

4. Competitive compensation. Obviously we are all working to make money, and Hanover has competitive commission plans that reward top performers.

------

There are also some other things I like about Hanover that are not specifically related to a sales role:

1. Company culture - I have met some of my closest friends at Hanover. Sometimes I think "I can't leave because I would miss my coworkers too much!"

2. Exec team is listening to employees now more than ever. We are frequently asked for feedback on changes before and after they take place.

3. Upward mobility - they are always thinking about your next step and how to help you get there. They prefer to promote from within.

On a last note - Hanover was my first job I applied to out of college - and sometimes I think to myself "I'm so lucky I landed this" because of how far I have been able to go at the company with the right level of focus, hard work, and ambition.

Cons

Cubicle setting even for jobs that require employees to be on the phone all day (requires employees to reserve call rooms several times per day which can be very disruptive).

Location in Ballston.

401k matching plan is pretty average (2% which takes 4 years to fully vest).

I would love more frequent lunch catering :-)

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees

Feb 7, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your frustration with reserving call rooms but we hope the open plan office allows for more collaboration and informal knowledge sharing between co-workers ... More

"Development director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous advancement opportunity at a growth firm

Cons

Working out the kinks of a service based business

"Great company"

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chilled-out work environment; very few meetings; independence; challenging and interesting work; lots of room for promotion; great benefits.

Cons

None come to mind ... I guess the pay could be a tiny bit higher?

"Young company with a bright future"

Former Employee - Development Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

-First, and most importantly, Hanover's services are excellent. Working in development, I never once felt like we were trying to take advantage of a client. Contract renewal rates are very high, and clients get tons of value from Hanover's services. The research staff is full of PhDs, MBAs, and other advanced degrees (I saw a review on here questioning that, the qualifications of the staff are readily available: http://www.hanoverresearch.com/grant-consulting-bios/). Clients are very confident in our work. Hanover's business model is phenomenal and stands alone against competitors.

-Coworkers: All of the employees at Hanover are very bright, driven, and hard-working. Hanover attracts talent from top, elite universities, and the entire staff was a pleasure to work with.

-Culture: Bureaucracy is minimal, and if you do good work, you WILL be noticed and acknowledged. The entire development staff works hard to succeed together as a team, not in spite of each other.

-Office: Great location on K Street, just a few blocks from the White House. One block from the red line, tons of restaurants and food trucks nearby, and nice office space with gym.

-Perks: From Redskin tickets to impromptu (and frequent) comped lunches to free snacks, the little perks DO make a difference.

-Benefits: Fully covered healthcare, 401K with employer match, gym access.

Cons

-Bonus pay can be uncertain, and can sometimes feel like it depends more on luck than effort. This is a issue with practically any development/sales job, but I believe that somewhat higher base salaries would help retain top talent who are capable of collecting bigger paychecks elsewhere.

-Management can, at times, be unrealistic with goals and expectations. We need to rely on our own research capabilities more.

-As a development associate, the work can feel monotonous. If you just come in, do your job description, and go home, it will get old fast. You need to be proactive. Study trends in your industry, work closely with your director, perform your own analysis projects. Management is always happy to hear input from the entry level employees, take advantage of this. Since Hanover hires high caliber staff, most associates don't fall into a monotonous routine, but it would be nice to have some more career training to facilitate and encourage interesting projects.

"Hanover has been one of the most positive work environments in which I have had the pleasure to work."

Current Employee - Grants Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Grants Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great medical and retirement benefits
    - Leadership style management approach
    - Team oriented
    - Work-life balance

Cons

There are no real negative aspects to my position.

"A great place if you are highly motivated, hardworking, and results-driven"

Current Employee - Senior Development Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Development Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover is unparalleled in the opportunities it provides for upward-mobility. If you are smart, hardworking, and eager to succeed, you will fit in here. There is also a great, young company culture, and coworkers spend a lot of time together outside of work. This is a great place to jump start your career, especially if you want to make a competitive salary with healthy bonuses .

Cons

Sometimes the work can feel monotonous and it is up to you to stay engaged. Although they are getting better about this, systems need to be put in place so that there is greater transparency. The pressure to hit goals is more than many can handle (I guess that would be how one determines if they fit at a company like this).

Advice to Management

We need depend on our own market research to set goals that are realistic. There needs to be more transparency and a greater effort to retain employees; we should be pouring resources into current employees to cultivate their skills, rather than hiring external employees that demand higher salaries and are costly to onboard and train.