Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

Pros
  • In my experience, the managers really do care about their entry level employees, such as their professional development and work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Company parties and happy hours (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The leadership has little to NO ethical compass (in 7 reviews)

• Hanover will say they invest in your professional development and that there is upward mobility, this is true to "some" extent (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Place to Start Off"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of the negative reviews on this site, particularly from the researcher side, may have something to do with the fact that this is many people's first job out of undergrad or grad school. After leaving Hanover, I have started to see it in a new light. I truly believe that it is a good company. Some specific pros are:

- I worked 40 hour weeks, honestly.
    - I think I opened my laptop over the weekend twice.
    - We got extra time off for hitting team performance goals.
    - The people are phenomenal. It's a built in social circle for a young professional
    - I learned a ton about publicly available data (IPEDS, Census, etc)
    - There's a team of former researchers whose only job is to provide training.
    - I got a lot of good writing experience (completed over 30 reports)
    - My job here provided a nice entree into the higher education sector

Cons

Okay, there are a couple of cons.

- Communication: The culture does not emphasize the communication necessary to complete high quality projects within given deadlines. Timelines are admittedly short, but setting a reasonable scope and checking in daily about progress would make a world of difference. The current practice of sending daily research updates does not work well, as many managers are too busy to read the whole email, let alone a full draft of a report. I think it would be best to institute an open door policy for management, and to require they check in with their researchers face to face or on the phone once per day. If that's too much, researchers should at least be encouraged to email their CDs any time they have a question that impacts the direction of the research. I recall being told early on that we were hired because we could work independently and didn't need to interact with management. I believe this is a bad idea to propagate. Communication always improves work product.
    - Pay: Not great compared to some other sectors, but given the 40 hour weeks, it's absolutely fair.

Advice to Management

You have a good company, and with a few small changes you can make it great.

Hanover Research Response

Jan 16, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you saw value in your time at Hanover and developed your skills. Not all first jobs offer new graduates this opportunity. Our timelines are short ... More

"The advancement opportunities and professional growth Hanover provides is amazing for any level position."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Professional growth
    Team cohesion
    Excellent rewards for hard work
    Ability for internal advancement
    Hard-working, yet relaxed culture
    Amazing research capabilities
    Opportunity to be apart of a rapidly growing, young company
    Encouragement of employee input/ideas
    Great benefits

Cons

Segregation between research and development staff
    Lack of transparency between upper management and associate-level employees
    No concrete, established advancement track (although there are many opportunities)

Advice to Management

I would suggest to promote more professional interaction between research and development employees. This would help both sides to have a better understanding of the excellent work Hanover has to offer, which will ultimately help Development sell and Research continue outputting great projects. Also, it would be a good idea to establish more of a downward communication itinerary between executives and associate level employees.

"Challenging but Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Rapid promotion and comp growth
    Development of multiple skill sets
    Lack of micromanagement
    Great group of people to work with/many are friends outside of work

Cons

Jack of all trades, master of none
    Growth can lead to chaos
    Lack of bureaucracy also means lack of structure/plenty of ambiguity

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate
    Allow researchers to specialize by industry, or research type, or both
    Free up Content Directors for mentoring/prof development

"Hanover embodies a fast-paced meritocracy which is perfect for ambitious young professionals."

Current Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Attractive bonus and compensation potential
    + Staff is smart, energetic, and hard-working
    + Fast growth of the firm consistently produces new opportunities and a dynamic atmosphere
    + 401(k) with 2% employer match
    + Great health benefits
    + Perks such as the occasional catered breakfast/lunch, and comped dinners after 7 pm
    + High level of staff involvement for community service events and happy hours/fundraisers

Cons

As Hanover has grown quite quickly in the past few years a need for professional development for mid-upper level management has evolved which to date has not been met

Advice to Management

It would be great to have easy access to professional sales and management training

"Highly successful business model and unique opportunity to gain complex/consultative sales experience."

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

As a small firm striving to grow quickly, the staff and diverse mix of business professionals are critical to achieving revenue goals and revolutionizing the company’s content offering. Impressive collection resumes both on the sales, as well as the research side of the business. Selective hiring process seeks intelligent, highly-motivated, driven professionals, which creates an ambitious and financially rewarding working experience. A great place to hone and develop complex sales skills while getting a front seat view into the marketing and research functions of some of the world’s largest companies and the challenges they face in our current economic climate. Management is receptive to new ideas and always willing to consider new ways to improve internal efficiencies. Fast-paced sales environment with attainable, but still ambitious revenue goals. Very much a self-starter atmosphere, which bodes well for “go-getters” looking to make great money while still taking on mid-level management responsibilities. Overall, a rewarding work environment, both professionally and financially.

Cons

The world can change in an instant, which is often the case at Hanover. Just when a new sales approach or tactic seems to be working, the company strategy could shift in a new direction, requiring a swift adjustment in focus. If you like a steady and consistent work pattern, this is probably not the job for you. Sometimes new ideas aren’t always successful, leading to instances of “time lost” in trying something new that doesn’t always pan out. Lean staff requires employees to often wear multiple hats, which is inherently difficult for individuals who are married to structure and do not react well to sudden change.

Advice to Management

More visibility to employees when it comes to 5-year strategic plan and 10-year company outlook. Need to build out a more effective sales/training function that focuses on the onboarding process of new employees.

"In my two years at Hanover"

Current Employee - Development Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Development Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover is an exciting place for young, driven professionals to learn about themselves and excel in a workplace setting. In my two years at Hanover, the company has always rewarded me excellently for my hard work. My experience at Hanover epitomizes the opportunities the company has to offer - I have experienced tremendous growth both professionally and personally in a short amount of time. There are several formal structures and processes in place that help guide Development Associates to Senior Development Associates to Development Directors to Managing Directors very quickly. The mentorship between each Development Associate and Development Director at Hanover is invaluable. The fast-paced nature of the job and continuous opportunities for upward mobility are powerful engagers and motivators. From my first day all expectations of me have been clearly articulated and I’ve always known exactly what I’ve needed to accomplish in order to get myself to the next level.

Cons

The pressure to produce at Hanover can be quite intense at times, and sometimes can lead to insecurity among employees. If you prefer a very safe, mild, predictable work environment you will not be happy at Hanover. If you are open to pushing yourself, working as a team, and thinking outside the box you will be a great fit here.

Advice to Management

Communication is key. With information comes knowledge, with knowledge comes empowerment and with empowerment comes confident employees and confident employees generate new business. Continue to remain open to all ideas, comments, questions and concerns on both the research and development side.

8. "Exceptional colleagues at a fast growth company in the heart of Washington, DC."

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A young, ambitious and exciting place to work with well educated and friendly colleagues. The renewed commitment of the company to put in world class training, recruit and develop the best talent in the DC labor market makes the potential of this business all the more exciting.

Cons

Like any growth company, you have to be on board for the wild ride of fast paced changes and aggressive goals. The opportunity and pay make it worth though.

Advice to Management

The changes are making a difference, keep pushing!

"Interesting work, good environment, good pay, great place to work!"

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting research reports with typical 4-7 day turnaround.
    Supportive team atmosphere.
    Good work life balance.
    Young, but not too young, office environment.
    Free snacks and coffee/tea, breakfast meetings, occasional pizza day (that makes a difference).
    Occasional early Friday for research teams meeting goals.
    Health benefits, 401k matched 2% by Hanover, life insurance, good PTO.
    Flexibility for remote work.

Great atmosphere, definitely recommend it.

Cons

Very quiet atmosphere.
    Looking at a computer all the time.
    It can be challenging to focus on only one project at a time for so many hours.

Advice to Management

Define what career paths there are for committed researchers other than content director.

"A great place if you are highly motivated, hardworking, and results-driven"

Current Employee - Senior Development Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Development Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanover is unparalleled in the opportunities it provides for upward-mobility. If you are smart, hardworking, and eager to succeed, you will fit in here. There is also a great, young company culture, and coworkers spend a lot of time together outside of work. This is a great place to jump start your career, especially if you want to make a competitive salary with healthy bonuses .

Cons

Sometimes the work can feel monotonous and it is up to you to stay engaged. Although they are getting better about this, systems need to be put in place so that there is greater transparency. The pressure to hit goals is more than many can handle (I guess that would be how one determines if they fit at a company like this).

Advice to Management

We need depend on our own market research to set goals that are realistic. There needs to be more transparency and a greater effort to retain employees; we should be pouring resources into current employees to cultivate their skills, rather than hiring external employees that demand higher salaries and are costly to onboard and train.

"Young company with a bright future"

Former Employee - Development Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

-First, and most importantly, Hanover's services are excellent. Working in development, I never once felt like we were trying to take advantage of a client. Contract renewal rates are very high, and clients get tons of value from Hanover's services. The research staff is full of PhDs, MBAs, and other advanced degrees (I saw a review on here questioning that, the qualifications of the staff are readily available: http://www.hanoverresearch.com/grant-consulting-bios/). Clients are very confident in our work. Hanover's business model is phenomenal and stands alone against competitors.

-Coworkers: All of the employees at Hanover are very bright, driven, and hard-working. Hanover attracts talent from top, elite universities, and the entire staff was a pleasure to work with.

-Culture: Bureaucracy is minimal, and if you do good work, you WILL be noticed and acknowledged. The entire development staff works hard to succeed together as a team, not in spite of each other.

-Office: Great location on K Street, just a few blocks from the White House. One block from the red line, tons of restaurants and food trucks nearby, and nice office space with gym.

-Perks: From Redskin tickets to impromptu (and frequent) comped lunches to free snacks, the little perks DO make a difference.

-Benefits: Fully covered healthcare, 401K with employer match, gym access.

Cons

-Bonus pay can be uncertain, and can sometimes feel like it depends more on luck than effort. This is a issue with practically any development/sales job, but I believe that somewhat higher base salaries would help retain top talent who are capable of collecting bigger paychecks elsewhere.

-Management can, at times, be unrealistic with goals and expectations. We need to rely on our own research capabilities more.

-As a development associate, the work can feel monotonous. If you just come in, do your job description, and go home, it will get old fast. You need to be proactive. Study trends in your industry, work closely with your director, perform your own analysis projects. Management is always happy to hear input from the entry level employees, take advantage of this. Since Hanover hires high caliber staff, most associates don't fall into a monotonous routine, but it would be nice to have some more career training to facilitate and encourage interesting projects.