Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Hanover Research CEO Wes Givens
Wes Givens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Over the years, the firm has become more attuned to the need for work/life balance as a foundation for sustainable productivity (in 13 reviews)

• Company parties and happy hours (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The leadership has little to NO ethical compass (in 7 reviews)

• Professional development is lacking and even if there is some (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Place to Start Off"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of the negative reviews on this site, particularly from the researcher side, may have something to do with the fact that this is many people's first job out of undergrad or grad school. After leaving Hanover, I have started to see it in a new light. I truly believe that it is a good company. Some specific pros are:

- I worked 40 hour weeks, honestly.
    - I think I opened my laptop over the weekend twice.
    - We got extra time off for hitting team performance goals.
    - The people are phenomenal. It's a built in social circle for a young professional
    - I learned a ton about publicly available data (IPEDS, Census, etc)
    - There's a team of former researchers whose only job is to provide training.
    - I got a lot of good writing experience (completed over 30 reports)
    - My job here provided a nice entree into the higher education sector

Cons

Okay, there are a couple of cons.

- Communication: The culture does not emphasize the communication necessary to complete high quality projects within given deadlines. Timelines are admittedly short, but setting a reasonable scope and checking in daily about progress would make a world of difference. The current practice of sending daily research updates does not work well, as many managers are too busy to read the whole email, let alone a full draft of a report. I think it would be best to institute an open door policy for management, and to require they check in with their researchers face to face or on the phone once per day. If that's too much, researchers should at least be encouraged to email their CDs any time they have a question that impacts the direction of the research. I recall being told early on that we were hired because we could work independently and didn't need to interact with management. I believe this is a bad idea to propagate. Communication always improves work product.
    - Pay: Not great compared to some other sectors, but given the 40 hour weeks, it's absolutely fair.

Advice to Management

You have a good company, and with a few small changes you can make it great.

Jan 16, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you saw value in your time at Hanover and developed your skills. Not all first jobs offer new graduates this opportunity. Our timelines are short... More

2. "Just no."

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

The coworkers are nice people.

Cons

There are many cons. I'll touch on a few.
    I'll say first, as a BDA, you are a cold caller. To me, this was made clear from the get-go (although that wasn't the case for everyone; some people weren't specifically told they would be cold calling). Because of the nature of your job, it can be a bit defeating to say the least. You'll spend your day making around 200 calls, often speaking with people who have zero interest in hearing what you have to say. People will yell at you, hang up on you, tell you what a horrible person you are, etc. I suppose that this isn't exactly shocking news, since it is cold calling, but it can definitely take a toll on you after a while. If you worked at an actual enjoyable company, I can imagine that this would be less of an issue; but that's not the case here.
    Another pitfall of the job is that your success is not a reflection of your effort. I noticed that others have commented on this on Glassdoor, and it's an important aspect to point out. Your success (or lack there of) is often out of your hands. Some associates will get placed into very accepting territories where people want to take meetings and are likely to answer their phones. Alternatively, other associates will be placed into territories where people simply do not answer their phones and are very unlikely to take meetings. You, as a BDA, have no say over which territory you're in. You could be in an "easier" one and make 6 meetings in a day, or be in a "tougher" one and make 4 in a week. Also, management will refuse to recognize this discrepancy (although it's crystal clear to everyone else).
    The culture in the New York office is also quite toxic. Management is awful. I can't tell you how many uncomfortable things I've heard while there (racist, sexist, and just plain rude remarks and behavior). Not to mention the culture of staying very late. It was common for associates to be at the office until 8 or 9 at night. There was almost a stigma of leaving the office before 6 in the evening. And of course, staying late does not guarantee success (see above about territories).
    Simply put, the environment in the NY office is toxic. I'm not the only one who thinks so, as within a few short months they lost nearly half of their employees. We were all sick of being in those soul-crushing surroundings with backwards and questionable methodologies.
    If you are considering accepting a job at Hanover, I would strongly recommend rethinking your decision.

"Big things to come!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large amount of change recently but moving in the right direction. Great new executives are adding efficiency and experience to a firm off to a good start!

Cons

With change there has been a constant resetting of expectations, performance criteria, and shift in the requirements of each role. Short term pain for long term positive firm outlook.

"Responsiveness and Opportunity over Time"

Current Employee - Managing Director
    Current Employee - Managing Director

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Having worked for Hanover for the better part of a decade, I have seen the company mature through many stages of growth and development. While this may not be the experience of all employees, I have come to gain understanding, to get to propose and implement positive changes, and to appreciate improvements over time at this (still relatively young) firm. As I am now in a management role, I have been able to see how the company works to balance business strategies and imperatives with a desire to create opportunities and provide support to staff. I feel supported and respected by my supervisor in advocating for my team while we work together to balance business needs. As Hanover grew out of a start-up phase, its leadership team recognized the need to invest in training and in strengthening communication. These priorities are beginning to bear fruit. The talent Hanover recruits is exceptional. The firm requires employees to learn quickly, to produce high quality work from the onset, and to manage a challenging workload; my colleagues do a remarkable job of balancing these expectations. Over the years, the firm has become more attuned to the need for work/life balance as a foundation for sustainable productivity. We enjoy generous PTO benefits, very good health and retirement benefits, and maternity and paternity leave. I've heard several colleagues -- most of them mid-career professionals -- describe Hanover as one of the best jobs they've had, and one of the most supportive employers they've worked for. For my part, I appreciate the many opportunities for professional growth and challenge that Hanover has afforded, as well as the compassion the company has extended me and my colleagues at various points across our tenure. I recommend that employees searching for their footing here speak up about their concerns and ideas, and balance the suggestion of solutions with patience for the firm's capacity to assimilate the impacts of rapid growth. Many Hanover employees have had an experience like mine of navigating their way over time into roles they really enjoy. To those who ultimately move on from Hanover, I would anticipate that the skills and capacities gained here will benefit them in future employment.

Cons

I agree with some other reviews that acknowledge the opportunities created by Hanover's emphasis on growth over the past decade, while pointing to new avenues for improvement as the firm matures. I believe an important aspect that can still be shored up is the cultivation of a more concrete and widely shared sense that the day-to-day work being done is having a meaningful impact on our clients and the communities or markets they serve. The link is there, but it is not always tangible to front line employees. What can leaders do to cultivate a more embedded sense of mission, such that this orientation helps to guide decision making at every level? While many at Hanover have enjoyed the experience of relatively rapid career progression into roles that provide a great variety of challenges, I worry that many talented employees run the risk of burning out in roles that can be honed after a few years and then become (for some) repetitive or tedious. Could investments in collaborative product creation and service delivery allow more employees to benefit from a variety of tasks, challenges, and encounters with real world impact? I am aware that there are avenues within Hanover for proposing ideas around these challenges, and I look forward to continuing to utilize them.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on investing in employees, and on retaining employees who have invested considerable time and talent across their tenure. Hanover does an excellent job of recruiting intelligent, skilled, and passionate people. Sharing the dividends of growth through competitive compensation, good benefits, challenging work, and meaningful impact will, I believe, result in continued gains in quality, productivity, innovation, and growth over time. Hanover already does much of that well, and given the past trajectory I anticipate continued gains and improvements into the future. To support the firm's long term success, continue to cultivate a culture of collaboration across divisions, creating a context in which employees across Content and between Content and Revenue can work together to discern, devise, and present strategic solutions for our clients.

"Great Place to Start Your Career"

I worked at Hanover Research (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hanover is an incredible place to develop your career. If you’re early on in your career and interested in building sales and communication skills, the Development Associate is a great place to start. There’s an uncapped commission and management gives you autonomy, while being supportive in your day-to-day job and professional development. Because of the upward mobility, rapid growth of the company, and flexibility, you can move into several different roles after the Development Associate position.

Cons

Since Hanover is still a fairly young, fast-growing company, sales goals can be aggressive, but they are obtainable if you’re ready to work hard.

"Thick Skin Required"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Excellent work/life balance - almost to a fault

Reasonable expectations

The company does offer a decent amount to try to keep employees happy - this varies by department, but the effort seems sincere. These are little things like food, happy hours, office snacks, etc.

Cons

Quality is low - the customer does not come first here and you have to be comfortable with a work product that you may not be proud of.

Big talk, little substance - leaders talk a big game about changes but there's very little substance behind the buzz words and talking points. Leadership also does a poor job of connecting your role or responsibilities with company strategy or direction.

Leadership does not want your feedback - similarly, managers constantly say that they want your input in changes and improvements and want your feedback. Again, this seems to be a message to appease the masses. Suggestions and even questions will land you on the wrong side of office politics.

Advice to Management

Improve your standards. The bar is too low. This goes for a client-first environment and talent.

Creating an army of yes men will not help you make the changes you want.

Don't treat some employees/departments like they're better than others. Certain teams can't get all the perks while others aren't given basic tools to do their jobs. i.e. laptops from this decade, phones, work from home privileges.

Break down silos. Work here is incredibly independent and few are willing to go above and beyond to help colleagues. Those who do well have to win office popularity politics. This is incredibly time consuming and a waste of good talent.

May 31, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. I am sorry to read that you feel that the work you are producing is low quality. Our clients certainly don't share those views. We have found that... More

"I've never learned so much, so quickly"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

- Opportunity for rapid advancement
    - Intellectually stimulating environment
    - Intelligent, motivated, collaborative staff

Hanover capitalizes on the strengths of staff and invests in their ongoing development

Cons

- Fast-paced and performance-driven which can be stressful
    - Revenue-driven (which is great for rapid corporate growth but can pressure staff with aggressive goals and ambitious project timelines)

Advice to Management

Continue to maximize employee strengths by carefully determining where staff can have the greatest impact.

May 31, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read you are blossoming in the fast paced environment and finding value in the opportunity to learn at such an accelerated pace as well.

"Read the reviews carefully"

Former Employee - Research
    Former Employee - Research

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As many others have mentioned, there are two: 1) the people (your coworkers) are great and fun and awesome to commiserate with about working at Hanover, and 2) the free snacks and coffee. That's it.

Cons

Others have said them: the pay is extremely low. Yes, promotions occur quickly due to the six month review cycle, but you won't get a significant pay bump when you get promoted. You get ratings on every project you turn in like you're in high school again struggling to stay on the honor roll. Despite HR insisting it's not true, turnover is VERY high. I can name off the top of my head at least five other researchers who left this year. Professional development is lacking and even if there is some professional development thing you're interested in attending, you won't have time, because you're on a very tight deadline. Yes, you'll cry at your desk, as someone else mentioned. I've seen it. Projects are repetitive and you'll start to feel like a one-man research factory, again, someone's mentioned this.

The point is: read the reviews carefully. They are accurate.

Advice to Management

HR absolutely has to stop replying to the reviews on here, especially, in several cases, in a downright snarky manner. It's an embarrassment to the company.

May 31, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback about your time at Hanover. I am sorry that you didn't find any value in your time at Hanover. We are upfront about our salaries during the interview... More

"Not a growth experience"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

young workplace, lots of friend potential

Cons

boring and redundant work, not exciting

May 10, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hanover. It is disappointing to read that you don't find the work exciting. I would recommend speaking to your manager about either varying your projects or... More

"A Millennial Workspace, for Better and for Worse"

Current Employee - Researcher
    Current Employee - Researcher

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, including quality healthcare, 401K, and paid time off (including parental leave)
    Flexible work schedule options for solid performers
    Have had absolutely amazing managers/direct supervisors
    Colleagues are genuine, caring, smart, and create a very enjoyable work environment
    The work fills a critical gap in the information/research space, at least within the Education and Grants practices - our work is meaningful and you are always learning something new (inc. transferable technology-based skills)

Cons

Hanover is an adolescent company at this stage, characterized by a lot of rapid-paced and sudden change with no end in sight, particularly with the hiring of several new executive positions
    Current change emphasizes "manufacturing"-style efficiencies, which are hard to take as a human worker rather than a machine
    It can be difficult for researchers to get the experiences they need to gain deeper insights into client perspective, because they are so removed and are put on consecutive fast-paced projects with no control of their schedules

Advice to Management

Keep working to expand professional development programming for intermediate and mid-level researchers
    Continue working on transparency, if only to head off the rumor mill
    Free food is not as important as an everyday workspace that matches the typical researcher personality or needs