Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Hanover Research Reviews

Updated February 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • In my experience, the managers really do care about their entry level employees, such as their professional development and work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Company parties and happy hours (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The leadership has little to NO ethical compass (in 8 reviews)

• Professional Development is non-existent (in 7 reviews)

"What a fantastic employer to be associated!"

Pros

I had the pleasure of working for this organization twice in my career! During my tenure, I was challenged and stretched my skills to add to my tool belt. Its an amazing, fast paced culture and a fantastic collaboration not only on my team but throughout the organization. Competitive benefits, comp, and an empowerment to give back to the community! If you want to improve your skill set and have your voice heard Hanover is the place to hang your hat!

Cons

As with any growing organization, there are bumps in the road. Hanover Research expects a lot out of their employees and for some folks it might be too difficult. However, the management team listens to the employees and is nimble enough to impact change immediately.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees, but expect them to bring their best as you do every day!

Nov 17, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for the positive feedback. We will keep listening to our staff and keep making changes to positively impact their experience at Hanover.

2. "Recent Changes for the Better"

Pros

I work in the Account Management team at Hanover, and our team is collaborative, fun, and hard-working. A few specific "pros" to highlight:

1) The account management team has a great team dynamic. That's seen through the collaborative effort to meet team revenue goals, the energy & conversation in our section of the office, and the 'open door' policy of our team management. Our department went through a recent leadership change, which has made a hugely positive impact on the team as a hole. Our team now celebrates wins together (no matter how small they might be) and has a much more positive energy. Management is now open to feedback and is more supportive of the day-to-day role of the account managers.

2) There is good potential for promotion and bonus payouts. Hanover is a company that promotes and pays employees based off of merit. Across the company as a whole, and specifically in the account management role, you will see direct correlation between success and reward.

3) It's generally a fun place to work. There are frequent incentives (baseball games, happy hours, etc.) that make working toward a revenue number feel more fun. Our team also is friends outside of the office - celebrating holidays, weekends, babies, weddings, etc as more than just coworkers.

Cons

1) Life in a cubicle can get pretty grim. That said, I know the company is investigating what employees want in an office environment in an effort to redesign the space to make it both more conducive to our jobs and more comfortable.

2) There is pressure associated with working toward a revenue-based job. Although there are incentives and payouts that make the pressure more worth it, there is no denying that this position can be stressful at times. Associated with that, there are times where a lot of the clients' decision-making is entirely out of our control, which can be frustrating.

3) Some parts of the job are mundane, administrative tasks. The majority of days involve a variety of different tasks/roles, but that is definitely not every day. Some days are spent entirely in a cubicle working at a computer. I think this will be improved by a change in environment, when these types of days can be spent in a more open environment than individually in cubicles.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in keeping employees happy. The account management team as a whole is greatly improved when tenured employees are in seat, as opposed to continuously bringing on and training up new people.

Open the door for upward feedback. Under previous leadership on the Account Management team, there was no opportunity for upward reviews from account managers to executive leadership. With the change in leadership at the department level, it would be a good addition to let team members feel heard.

Nov 17, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read you are seeing the changes made having a positive impact on your role and your team. We are looking forward to the new more open layout for our offices ... More

"Sales"

Pros

great culture, effective training, awesome team

Cons

lack of engagement with c level

Oct 11, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time at Hanover. As we are always exploring new ways to engage with staff, please feel free to use the CEO suggestion box (it is ... More

"Decent place to start your career"

Former Employee - Senior Content Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Content Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Hanover Research (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of talented people to learn from, especially if you are just starting your career. You are also given the chance to take ownership of your projects (little guidance from managers), which can be good or bad, depending on your perspective.

Cons

-This may have changed in the last couple of years, but there was very little interaction between employees. Most of the work was done by yourself in front of a computer.
    -At the time, they paid considerably less than competitors.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and try to make sure you reward and retain your most talented employees.

Oct 10, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. It does seem, as indicated from your cons list, that it has been a while since you worked at Hanover. We have listened to staff and made numerous changes to the workflow ... More

"Incremental improvements"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

A lot of the pros are obvious and repeatedly stated: autonomy on projects and setting your own schedule, 18 days of PTO per year with an additional added per year in seat, nice office spaces, smart people, respectful environment (it's hard to imagine someone ever yelling or getting yelled at), access to senior leadership (monthly coffee hours of the option to simply ask to meet), happy hours, team events, etc.

Overall, I like working here, and am generally happy.

To some of the points about cons, there have been obvious attempts from leadership to fix some issues repeatedly criticized:
    1) performance reviews: the summer session is now expedited after feedback that the process is too lengthy, particularly twice a year. Summer is also informal for managers who tend to be in seat longer. It's probably a more appropriate frequency for those positions.
    2) employee feedback surveys: results from the largest one of these were shared (high level, not the whole data set, but a good amount of detail) via PowerPoint to the whole company.
    3) project ratings: the VP recently sent out a Content-wide communication asking for feedback on current ratings and including plans to overhaul ratings with less or no numerical feedback.
    4) transparency: so far, sporadic attempts to answer questions from the online suggestion box and provide communication about ongoing projects (such as the content process improvement initiative with strategy). Hopeful that this will become more regular. What they have done has been good to see.
    5) project quality: there has been a major initiative focus on finding efficiencies in project structure and timelines, aimed not just at making projects faster but at giving researchers more time to work or to focus on development. The project quality will never be like a firm where you work on a project for 6-9 months. That's not what we do. We are the "value" option which means we do things quicker, and there's less time to polish. You should be ok with turning in imperfect work if you come here. It does provide value to the client.
    6) pay: this isn't really a pro or con. Entry level salaries are lower for some positions than others but any promotion is accompanied by a large raise. They probably want to reserve higher salaries for people who demonstrate great work and stick around for a bit.

Cons

There is still room to grow:
    1) transparency: there have been updates on what is happening and answers to questions from the vp, executive in residence, strategy, etc., but they are still sporadic. Until they become regular and Hanover starts regularly soliciting employee input for major initiatives (again, like the cpii) there is more room to improve.
    2) long-term professional development: Hanover's l&d team is there to get people trained to start working and to support newer employees. The CHRO had a q&a about what professional development in year two would look like and right now that's a good question. People want to keep building their skills and when they feel that stops they get frustrated. Without a plan in place for supporting people who have the basics down, this issue will continue. L&d cannot do all of this when they are spending time getting everyone up and running and also are the same age/general experience level as the analysts.
    3) positive workplace culture: perhaps the biggest issue is creating and sustaining a group of happy people. No matter how much incremental progress is made, clearly some people are unhappy. This is more complex than just trying to be more transparent or respond to criticisms because the anger feeds on itself, and incremental progress from Hanover does not satisfy people who are already upset.
    4) 401k has good investment options but, yes, the vesting is low and slow. When the rest of the benefits package is very good, that stands out.
    5) project timelines, employee boredom, etc.: with constant quick turnaround it is only a matter of time before many people get bored or tired. Some of #2 will help. If improvements in efficiency can provide people a break to focus on their own development that will go a long way for those who get bored or tired. Timelines are not impossible but it's the way that the projects come one after the next.

Advice to Management

Regular updates on things people care about - cpii, Ceo suggestion box, project rating changes, etc. really make it a habit. It is nice to see it and it has always been sporadic so far. continue to listen to and respond for feedback. Solicit help from your employees in content improvement. Keep trying to improve things.

7. "development associate"

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

-great support staff
    - young company with a very friendly vibe
    - on hand training and close supervising director

Cons

- hard to maintain work life balance sometimes, especially during end of quarters
    - its a sales role, so it can be stressful

Aug 26, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad to reach that you had a positive experience in the Development Associate role.

"Look Elsewhere"

Former Employee - Researcher
    Former Employee - Researcher

Pros

-As a researcher, you will learn how to work with ridiculously short timelines and insane expectations.
    -You will be forced to learn how to manage up and appease as many people as possible in managerial roles.
    -Your fellow researchers are incredibly smart and are some of the best people you will ever meet. Your co-workers will regularly talk you back from the edge and will keep you motivated.

Cons

- Hanover aggressively looks for researchers with masters degrees or higher, giving the impression that the research requires advanced analytical and critical thinking skills. This impression is completely false. Researchers spend the vast majority of their time doing monotonous busy-work "research" with unsophisticated methodologies and in some cases, shoddy methodology. If you are looking to do "real" education or market research that involves tools other than Excel, Word, and Google, look elsewhere.

-Researchers are undervalued, overworked, and not respected. You will be asked to complete one project after another without actually thinking about the work you are doing - quantity is valued over quality. Suggestions for process improvements, new methods, etc. are regularly shot down because trying something new will interfere with the timelines and most people in management positions don't have the methodological research knowledge to even implement effective changes. You will be pushed to continue churning out the same low-brow research.You will be expected to fall in line and keep your mouth shut. Any "constructive criticism" or feedback you provide will come back to haunt you. If you want a job where you are a valued member of a team and your knowledge, skills, and suggestions are appreciated, look elsewhere.

-The performance review process is completely opaque and you will be at the mercy of managers who can refuse to promote you on a whim. If you want transparency in how your career can grow in the company, look elsewhere.

-Management has little to no interest in investing in researchers professional skills. Professional Development is non-existent. (please ignore the CHRO's responses about PD to other reviews- these responses are blatantly false). If you want to learn and grow professionally in your position, look elsewhere.

- Finally, a word of caution about the reviews on this site: current employees are explicitly asked on a regular basis to post "honest" reviews (read: POSITIVE reviews) on Glassdoor in order to help Hanover's rating. Also, do not get the impression that the negative feedback is a result of a disgruntled, FIRED employee- Hanover rarely fires people because they can't afford to lose the talent. These negative reviews are from people who were bamboozled into joining the company or just needed a job - they left because the environment at Hanover is SO incredibly toxic. Again, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your researchers like children. Researchers have the skills and knowledge to provide high-quality products if you will only let them. Stop sacrificing quality research and quality employees just for the sake of "short timelines".

Aug 30, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. There seems to be a discrepancy between your expectations for the role and the service Hanover provides to our clients. We do not provide academic research studies. Our ... More

"Horrible Work Environment and People"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free fruit, snacks and coffee in the kitchen.

Cons

I hardly know where to begin. I had at least four straight weeks at Hanover where I went home and did nothing but feel miserable, undervalued, disrespected, bullied, exhausted and worn down as a result of how unbelievably two-faced, and unethical the people were (both staff and upper management). You walk down the hallway and try to speak to people and they're rude and dismissive of you just for trying to be friendly. So you had a parent die--when are you able to come back to the office? Your car broke down and you were hurt--oh well--how fast can you limp here?

As a new employee, you're initially told that employees only work a 9 hour day and that you'll regularly receive comp time for working additional hours. But once you arrive at Hanover you will continually work incredibly long hours with no comp time, and have managers constantly "thank you" for all your efforts by telling you that you have poor time management when they assigned a project that normal, ethical research companies take 2-9 weeks to complete. What is worse is that clients are told that Hanover spends at least 6 weeks working on their projects, and don't know that the average project at Hanover is only 1 to 5 days for writing a 30-40 page lit review. As stated in many, many prior reviews, the overall quality of work presented by Hanover is abysmal and most of the generalist staff don't even have a background in education, but are tasked to write education papers worthy of someone with an Education PhD. The other thing I was surprised by was that many reviews on Glassdoor claim the colleagues are friendly, good people. Unfortunately I did not find that to be the case. Overall it is a VERY TOXIC working environment with unethical and generally horrible, uncaring people and little to no diversity, both in HR, upper management and among one's colleagues...So if you can, please run or should I say "limp" far, far away from Hanover Research!

Advice to Management

Take a shot at being decent human beings and work harder to make employees' lives as well as their mental and physical well-being less hectic. I honestly believe that if Hanover slightly modified its style and gave employees at least two weeks to complete long-term projects and not completely burn out, that the turnover rates would be significantly less embarrassing and the quality and integrity of the work would be much improved. You're saving money now by running employees into the ground with daily projects, but eventually the company's reputation will suffer once clients discover that someone with no educational expertise sold them an "expert" education lit review they were only given 2 days to write.

Aug 9, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your time at Hanover. It is very unusual to hear our employees described as unfriendly so I am surprised by your comments. Our ... More

10. "Great Place for College Grads Interested in Sales"

Former Employee - Senior Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

Pros

The company culture at HR is very unique in that there is a work hard-play hard mentality and employees are encouraged to enjoy their time outside the office together. Many company- and team-wide incentives like happy hours, boat cruises around the city, and sports outings are offered. Competitive compensation balances out the not-so-competitive salary. Good opportunities for growth if sales is something you are interested in pursuing long-term. Because of the Associate-Director-Managing Director relationship on each team, upper management is easily accessible and very willing to listen to any recommendations/hesitations you may have. Run-ins with upper management is very common and not something you find at every company.

Cons

While HR is valued as a meritocracy, majority of the C-Suite Execs are quite young and haven't experienced many other companies outside of HR. Because of this, there is room for managerial improvement.

As for the role itself, sales is sales so make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you dive in. The job can become tedious and frustrating, and it's easy to feel like you are putting in more time and work than what is being produced and recognized (which is typical of many jobs).

Advice to Management

Acknowledge your associates are leaving before it's too late

Jul 11, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you had a positive experience during your time at Hanover. Entry level sales roles can be challenging, as you mentioned, but the skills acquired provide an ... More

"Development"

Pros

Great place to quickly learn and develop your career

Cons

Felt like you were at a call center at times.

Jul 29, 2016 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. The Development Associate role certainly offers a lot of opportunities to learn and develop skills that can help as you navigate your career. The nature of the role does ... More