Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Hanover Research Reviews

Updated September 5, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Over the years, the firm has become more attuned to the need for work/life balance as a foundation for sustainable productivity (in 14 reviews)

• Company parties and happy hours (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The leadership has little to NO ethical compass (in 7 reviews)

• Professional development is lacking and even if there is some (in 11 reviews)

"I've never learned so much, so quickly"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

- Opportunity for rapid advancement
    - Intellectually stimulating environment
    - Intelligent, motivated, collaborative staff

Hanover capitalizes on the strengths of staff and invests in their ongoing development

Cons

- Fast-paced and performance-driven which can be stressful
    - Revenue-driven (which is great for rapid corporate growth but can pressure staff with aggressive goals and ambitious project timelines)

Advice to Management

Continue to maximize employee strengths by carefully determining where staff can have the greatest impact.

May 31, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read you are blossoming in the fast paced environment and finding value in the opportunity to learn at such an accelerated pace as well.

"Thick Skin Required"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Excellent work/life balance - almost to a fault

Reasonable expectations

The company does offer a decent amount to try to keep employees happy - this varies by department, but the effort seems sincere. These are little things like food, happy hours, office snacks, etc.

Cons

Quality is low - the customer does not come first here and you have to be comfortable with a work product that you may not be proud of.

Big talk, little substance - leaders talk a big game about changes but there's very little substance behind the buzz words and talking points. Leadership also does a poor job of connecting your role or responsibilities with company strategy or direction.

Leadership does not want your feedback - similarly, managers constantly say that they want your input in changes and improvements and want your feedback. Again, this seems to be a message to appease the masses. Suggestions and even questions will land you on the wrong side of office politics.

Advice to Management

Improve your standards. The bar is too low. This goes for a client-first environment and talent.

Creating an army of yes men will not help you make the changes you want.

Don't treat some employees/departments like they're better than others. Certain teams can't get all the perks while others aren't given basic tools to do their jobs. i.e. laptops from this decade, phones, work from home privileges.

Break down silos. Work here is incredibly independent and few are willing to go above and beyond to help colleagues. Those who do well have to win office popularity politics. This is incredibly time consuming and a waste of good talent.

May 31, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback. I am sorry to read that you feel that the work you are producing is low quality. Our clients certainly don't share those views. We have found that... More

"A Millennial Workspace, for Better and for Worse"

Current Employee - Researcher
    Current Employee - Researcher

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, including quality healthcare, 401K, and paid time off (including parental leave)
    Flexible work schedule options for solid performers
    Have had absolutely amazing managers/direct supervisors
    Colleagues are genuine, caring, smart, and create a very enjoyable work environment
    The work fills a critical gap in the information/research space, at least within the Education and Grants practices - our work is meaningful and you are always learning something new (inc. transferable technology-based skills)

Cons

Hanover is an adolescent company at this stage, characterized by a lot of rapid-paced and sudden change with no end in sight, particularly with the hiring of several new executive positions
    Current change emphasizes "manufacturing"-style efficiencies, which are hard to take as a human worker rather than a machine
    It can be difficult for researchers to get the experiences they need to gain deeper insights into client perspective, because they are so removed and are put on consecutive fast-paced projects with no control of their schedules

Advice to Management

Keep working to expand professional development programming for intermediate and mid-level researchers
    Continue working on transparency, if only to head off the rumor mill
    Free food is not as important as an everyday workspace that matches the typical researcher personality or needs

"Read the reviews carefully"

Former Employee - Research
    Former Employee - Research

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As many others have mentioned, there are two: 1) the people (your coworkers) are great and fun and awesome to commiserate with about working at Hanover, and 2) the free snacks and coffee. That's it.

Cons

Others have said them: the pay is extremely low. Yes, promotions occur quickly due to the six month review cycle, but you won't get a significant pay bump when you get promoted. You get ratings on every project you turn in like you're in high school again struggling to stay on the honor roll. Despite HR insisting it's not true, turnover is VERY high. I can name off the top of my head at least five other researchers who left this year. Professional development is lacking and even if there is some professional development thing you're interested in attending, you won't have time, because you're on a very tight deadline. Yes, you'll cry at your desk, as someone else mentioned. I've seen it. Projects are repetitive and you'll start to feel like a one-man research factory, again, someone's mentioned this.

The point is: read the reviews carefully. They are accurate.

Advice to Management

HR absolutely has to stop replying to the reviews on here, especially, in several cases, in a downright snarky manner. It's an embarrassment to the company.

May 31, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback about your time at Hanover. I am sorry that you didn't find any value in your time at Hanover. We are upfront about our salaries during the interview... More

"Not a growth experience"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

young workplace, lots of friend potential

Cons

boring and redundant work, not exciting

May 10, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hanover. It is disappointing to read that you don't find the work exciting. I would recommend speaking to your manager about either varying your projects or... More

"Solid Company"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-young and innovative culture
    -fun place to work
    -exciting and interesting product
    -support system in place for entry level employees
    -Opportunity to make good money on the sales team

Cons

-low salaries for all employees, low earning potential for sales staff
    -unrealistic sales goals
    -doesn't always have a plan in place for new hires causing low production and morale early on

Advice to Management

Do not promote people based on their relationships within the company, but instead on their skill. Hanover says it is a meritocracy, but those who have strong relationships with mgmt are consistently promoted while those who lack these relationships are often left behind.

Apr 28, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments are a little contradictory so I hope to address the themes you raised adequately. Our entry level salaries are on par with other sales roles. We benchmark... More

"Senior Research Analyst - Quant"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

As a quant, regression modeling is a lot of what this job entails. You get to work on interesting topics in k-12, higher education, and B2B/B2C. This includes research topics such as program evaluations, retention studies, and forecasting. Good community/culture and they have good benefits.

Cons

Turn around is quick on projects, which is mentally draining at times. As a quant, you only really do quant. This means you are stuck in your cubicle 5 days a week with very few opportunities to engage with clients. This changes after a few months, but not by much.

Advice to Management

Quant feels isolated from other parts of the company. Find ways to get us more involved.

Apr 14, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. The Quant team, similar to our other specialist teams, do spend the majority of their time working on only their specialization, which can be isolating. I'd recommend... More

"Few opportunities for mid-level researchers"

Former Employee - Researcher in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Researcher in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-- Good entry-level job. You'll learn a lot, and the practice of giving you "grades" on every project will ease you into the world of professional work.
    -- Flexibility and remote work opportunitities for researchers.
    -- Not a micromanaging culture
    -- Very formalized downward feedback system
    -- People are generally friendly

Cons

-- Professional development is nonexistent at mid-levels. I learned a lot in my first year here, but after that the work became tedious and repetitive.
    -- Noncompetitive pay. This company spends more money on snacks and happy hours than the average researcher's salary. I got a 20% salary increase and significantly better benefits when I left for what was essentially a lateral move at a similar company, after having been told that my salary at Hanover was on the high end for my level.
    -- Work is non-collaborative and can be isolating.
    -- Expectations around research output can be unreasonable. You're expected to deliver a flawless analysis in 5 work days, often involving a company or even sector with which you've had no prior experience. You can uphold strict deadlines or expect perfection, but both is absurd.
    -- Credential inflation. You don't need an M.A. to be a researcher here, and you definitely don't need a Ph.D.
    -- Day to day feedback (i.e. project ratings) is largely separate from the performance review process. You can have great project feedback and get slammed with entirely unrelated criticisms in your performance review.

Advice to Management

If Hanover is really about "the people," make more of an effort to retain them. Pay them better and put more effort into professional development, especially for researchers at the CA and SRA levels. Beer and Sun Chips don't make up for below market salaries.

Apr 28, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback here. Professional development at the mid-level is a challenge. Generally these employees are looking to expand their skills and prepare for their... More

"Pros and cons"

Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely excellent HR team, overall a very nice group of people to work with, and an attractive office location near a number of food and restaurants. I also liked the fact that they have free coffee and tea and snacks to help employees get through the day without having to constantly leave to get food. By the sheer nature of the work, you also will learn a great deal at Hanover.

Cons

I worked with the Quant team and while most of the people at Hanover are very nice and professional, that cannot be said for everyone on that particular team. Bottomline is: the head of the Quant team is a total jerk, plain and simple. I'm sorry if this seems overly harsh or rude, but there is just no sugar coating or any other way to get around this. If the head of Quant liked you for whatever trivial reason, he would be kind and the person could do no wrong in his eyes. Though if he did not like you for whatever trivial reason, he was extremely judgmental and overly harsh to the point that it came across as abusive. While there also are some extremely kind and talented people who work there who are very willing to help, there are other members of the team who were unbelievably petty, discriminatory, and mean-spirited in my experience, and were overly competitive for no apparent reason and went out of their way to make life very, very miserable for people who were different. At the end of the day, I have the highest level of respect for the HR team and many of the people who lead the other teams. Yet it would seem that the Quant team has a great deal of room for improvement, particularly with respect to management and in giving employees enough time to become acclimated with doing work that other companies would typically give their employees several weeks in order to produce a high-quality product. Turnover appeared to be quite high in Quant. In addition, many mistakes were made on projects, and I am not sure if they were caught because the leadership team is so busy trying to rush projects out the door in one week or less.

Advice to Management

This genuinely is intended to be a very fair and honest critique without any form of malice, and I am trying to highlight as many of the good aspects at Hanover as well as the bad. Quant leadership: Give employees more time to get acclimated to the work environment and provide more support for those who are struggling for whatever reason. Do not condone a culture where it is OK to bully and professionally try to harm others by rewarding the bullies or trying to gloss over bad behavior. Work more diligently to follow the practices specified by HR in order to keep up morale. Do not show favoritism to certain employees over others and treat everyone the same. Finally, never forget that a little bit of kindness and compassion can go a long way. After all, people generally do not care how much you know until they know how much you care.

Mar 29, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. While your feelings are your own and valid, I don’t believe your review fairly represents the efforts made by other managers on the Content team to... More

"Development Associate Role"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hanover does have some good qualities. It is a good place to start as a newcomer right out of college. The Development team is young, fun to be around, and a smart group of individuals. There's free coffee and snacks, sometimes bagels and free lunches dependent on quarterly performance. I learned a lot of good soft sales skills during my tenure at Hanover. My co-workers are why I stayed for as long as I did.

Cons

There's lot of cons about Hanover though. Hanover will say they invest in your professional development and that there is upward mobility, this is true to "some" extent. I say "some" extent because it is all based on quantitative results for this position. You can be the hardest worker, but if your numbers aren't there (which is out of your control due to many factors) to be frank they don't care about you. There's lot's of favoritism, and certain managers should not be in a managing position as they have no clue how to lead. During my time there lots of incentives were taken away from the sales team and most of the people on the sales team felt there was no real leadership. If you're not hitting goal for that week, or even that month they will ride you to death. I would often work 12hr days just to stay afloat. In my time at Hanover (less than a year) I saw over 8 associates leave and 4 directors. Beware of working for Hanover on the sales/biz dev team it is truly a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Hire new leadership for the sales/development team, people who actually are familiar with the role and can lead by example. Look at candidates deeper than just their numbers of that week, month, etc. Invest in longer training sessions with actual professional trainers instead of past associates who haven't worked the position in 2+ years. Watch for employees inflating their numbers. Change up the snacks! Be honest and transparent with associates. Don't keep everything a secret. Allow for upward mobility based not solely on metrics.

Apr 28, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Sales roles at all companies are metrics driven. New hires are given the same training and ramp up time and then are expected to start working towards achieving... More