Hanover Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Hanover Research Reviews

Updated October 29, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Over the years, the firm has become more attuned to the need for work/life balance as a foundation for sustainable productivity (in 14 reviews)

• Company parties and happy hours (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • The leadership has little to NO ethical compass (in 7 reviews)

• Professional development is lacking and even if there is some (in 11 reviews)

"Senior Research Analyst - Quant"

I have been working at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

As a quant, regression modeling is a lot of what this job entails. You get to work on interesting topics in k-12, higher education, and B2B/B2C. This includes research topics such as program evaluations, retention studies, and forecasting. Good community/culture and they have good benefits.

Cons

Turn around is quick on projects, which is mentally draining at times. As a quant, you only really do quant. This means you are stuck in your cubicle 5 days a week with very few opportunities to engage with clients. This changes after a few months, but not by much.

Advice to Management

Quant feels isolated from other parts of the company. Find ways to get us more involved.

Apr 14, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. The Quant team, similar to our other specialist teams, do spend the majority of their time working on only their specialization, which can be isolating. I'd recommend... More

"Few opportunities for mid-level researchers"

Former Employee - Researcher in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Researcher in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-- Good entry-level job. You'll learn a lot, and the practice of giving you "grades" on every project will ease you into the world of professional work.
    -- Flexibility and remote work opportunitities for researchers.
    -- Not a micromanaging culture
    -- Very formalized downward feedback system
    -- People are generally friendly

Cons

-- Professional development is nonexistent at mid-levels. I learned a lot in my first year here, but after that the work became tedious and repetitive.
    -- Noncompetitive pay. This company spends more money on snacks and happy hours than the average researcher's salary. I got a 20% salary increase and significantly better benefits when I left for what was essentially a lateral move at a similar company, after having been told that my salary at Hanover was on the high end for my level.
    -- Work is non-collaborative and can be isolating.
    -- Expectations around research output can be unreasonable. You're expected to deliver a flawless analysis in 5 work days, often involving a company or even sector with which you've had no prior experience. You can uphold strict deadlines or expect perfection, but both is absurd.
    -- Credential inflation. You don't need an M.A. to be a researcher here, and you definitely don't need a Ph.D.
    -- Day to day feedback (i.e. project ratings) is largely separate from the performance review process. You can have great project feedback and get slammed with entirely unrelated criticisms in your performance review.

Advice to Management

If Hanover is really about "the people," make more of an effort to retain them. Pay them better and put more effort into professional development, especially for researchers at the CA and SRA levels. Beer and Sun Chips don't make up for below market salaries.

Apr 28, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback here. Professional development at the mid-level is a challenge. Generally these employees are looking to expand their skills and prepare for their... More

"Pros and cons"

Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely excellent HR team, overall a very nice group of people to work with, and an attractive office location near a number of food and restaurants. I also liked the fact that they have free coffee and tea and snacks to help employees get through the day without having to constantly leave to get food. By the sheer nature of the work, you also will learn a great deal at Hanover.

Cons

I worked with the Quant team and while most of the people at Hanover are very nice and professional, that cannot be said for everyone on that particular team. Bottomline is: the head of the Quant team is a total jerk, plain and simple. I'm sorry if this seems overly harsh or rude, but there is just no sugar coating or any other way to get around this. If the head of Quant liked you for whatever trivial reason, he would be kind and the person could do no wrong in his eyes. Though if he did not like you for whatever trivial reason, he was extremely judgmental and overly harsh to the point that it came across as abusive. While there also are some extremely kind and talented people who work there who are very willing to help, there are other members of the team who were unbelievably petty, discriminatory, and mean-spirited in my experience, and were overly competitive for no apparent reason and went out of their way to make life very, very miserable for people who were different. At the end of the day, I have the highest level of respect for the HR team and many of the people who lead the other teams. Yet it would seem that the Quant team has a great deal of room for improvement, particularly with respect to management and in giving employees enough time to become acclimated with doing work that other companies would typically give their employees several weeks in order to produce a high-quality product. Turnover appeared to be quite high in Quant. In addition, many mistakes were made on projects, and I am not sure if they were caught because the leadership team is so busy trying to rush projects out the door in one week or less.

Advice to Management

This genuinely is intended to be a very fair and honest critique without any form of malice, and I am trying to highlight as many of the good aspects at Hanover as well as the bad. Quant leadership: Give employees more time to get acclimated to the work environment and provide more support for those who are struggling for whatever reason. Do not condone a culture where it is OK to bully and professionally try to harm others by rewarding the bullies or trying to gloss over bad behavior. Work more diligently to follow the practices specified by HR in order to keep up morale. Do not show favoritism to certain employees over others and treat everyone the same. Finally, never forget that a little bit of kindness and compassion can go a long way. After all, people generally do not care how much you know until they know how much you care.

Mar 29, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. While your feelings are your own and valid, I don’t believe your review fairly represents the efforts made by other managers on the Content team to... More

"Development Associate Role"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hanover does have some good qualities. It is a good place to start as a newcomer right out of college. The Development team is young, fun to be around, and a smart group of individuals. There's free coffee and snacks, sometimes bagels and free lunches dependent on quarterly performance. I learned a lot of good soft sales skills during my tenure at Hanover. My co-workers are why I stayed for as long as I did.

Cons

There's lot of cons about Hanover though. Hanover will say they invest in your professional development and that there is upward mobility, this is true to "some" extent. I say "some" extent because it is all based on quantitative results for this position. You can be the hardest worker, but if your numbers aren't there (which is out of your control due to many factors) to be frank they don't care about you. There's lot's of favoritism, and certain managers should not be in a managing position as they have no clue how to lead. During my time there lots of incentives were taken away from the sales team and most of the people on the sales team felt there was no real leadership. If you're not hitting goal for that week, or even that month they will ride you to death. I would often work 12hr days just to stay afloat. In my time at Hanover (less than a year) I saw over 8 associates leave and 4 directors. Beware of working for Hanover on the sales/biz dev team it is truly a revolving door.

Advice to Management

Hire new leadership for the sales/development team, people who actually are familiar with the role and can lead by example. Look at candidates deeper than just their numbers of that week, month, etc. Invest in longer training sessions with actual professional trainers instead of past associates who haven't worked the position in 2+ years. Watch for employees inflating their numbers. Change up the snacks! Be honest and transparent with associates. Don't keep everything a secret. Allow for upward mobility based not solely on metrics.

Apr 28, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Sales roles at all companies are metrics driven. New hires are given the same training and ramp up time and then are expected to start working towards achieving... More

"Hanover is subpar"

Former Employee - Business Development in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Only judged based off how many meetings you bring to your director. They don't look at you as an individual that can bring a lot more to the table other than convincing a prospect to say yes to a meeting. Something that is entirely out of your control.

Mar 13, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. As with any sales role, performance is a quantitative measurement. We make it very clear throughout the Development Associate recruiting process that this role requires... More

"Employee"

Pros

Many young and determined on staff

Cons

Not clear about job duties

Feb 24, 2017 – CHRO

Thanks for your feedback. I would strongly recommend you review your job description and expectations with your current manager in order to provide you with more clarity regarding job duties and... More

"Great Company Culture"

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn new knowledge every day from projects and coworkers. Amazing company culture and support system for their employees.

Cons

Very fast-paced work schedule. If you have problems meeting tight deadlines then you may want to reconsider employment here.

Feb 24, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your positive feedback. I am glad you benefited from our culture of internal knowledge sharing and continuous learning. The pace can be daunting because of our clients expectations so... More

"WORST"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none none none none none none none

Cons

horrible, management's lazy, people are stupid. company mission and goals are horrible stay aware

Advice to Management

quit

Apr 14, 2017 – CHRO

I am sorry to read that you did not have a positive experience at Hanover Research. I would strongly disagree with your categorization of our staff as lazy or stupid. Hanover's employees are... More

"Not the best place to work"

I worked at Hanover Research full-time

Pros

If you are an all-star, you don't have to do much work to succeed.

Cons

You will work with a lot of non all stars.

"A Great Place to Start Off"

Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at Hanover Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of the negative reviews on this site, particularly from the researcher side, may have something to do with the fact that this is many people's first job out of undergrad or grad school. After leaving Hanover, I have started to see it in a new light. I truly believe that it is a good company. Some specific pros are:

- I worked 40 hour weeks, honestly.
    - I think I opened my laptop over the weekend twice.
    - We got extra time off for hitting team performance goals.
    - The people are phenomenal. It's a built in social circle for a young professional
    - I learned a ton about publicly available data (IPEDS, Census, etc)
    - There's a team of former researchers whose only job is to provide training.
    - I got a lot of good writing experience (completed over 30 reports)
    - My job here provided a nice entree into the higher education sector

Cons

Okay, there are a couple of cons.

- Communication: The culture does not emphasize the communication necessary to complete high quality projects within given deadlines. Timelines are admittedly short, but setting a reasonable scope and checking in daily about progress would make a world of difference. The current practice of sending daily research updates does not work well, as many managers are too busy to read the whole email, let alone a full draft of a report. I think it would be best to institute an open door policy for management, and to require they check in with their researchers face to face or on the phone once per day. If that's too much, researchers should at least be encouraged to email their CDs any time they have a question that impacts the direction of the research. I recall being told early on that we were hired because we could work independently and didn't need to interact with management. I believe this is a bad idea to propagate. Communication always improves work product.
    - Pay: Not great compared to some other sectors, but given the 40 hour weeks, it's absolutely fair.

Advice to Management

You have a good company, and with a few small changes you can make it great.

Jan 16, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you saw value in your time at Hanover and developed your skills. Not all first jobs offer new graduates this opportunity. Our timelines are short... More