Hanson Dodge Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Ken Hanson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fantastic Company, Culture and Great Group of People!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Hanson Dodge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for less than two years at HDC. On my first day I was greeted with genuine welcoming smiles that never wavered the entire time I was there. The people at HDC are the most sincere, creative, hard working and smartest group of people you'll ever work with. From the CEO down there is total transparency and honesty which immediately disarms you. They have an underdog spirit that compels you to roll up your sleeves and jump in on day one. I've never quite worked in such an irresistible culture. From laser tag events to scavenger hunts to window box gardens to UberPuppies, you're sure to fit in somewhere in this fantastic, unpretentious company.

Cons

Parking in Third Ward gets expensive. There are plenty of good parking garages though, but you may have to put your name on a waiting list.

Advice to Management

You have the respect of your peers, so continue to do the great work that you do. Your culture is compelling, vibrant and allows employees to feel apart of the bigger picture, so really, just keep up the great work!

2. "Great culture, talented people, wonderful place to be!"

Former Employee - Vice President Operations, Talent Management in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Vice President Operations, Talent Management in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Hanson Dodge full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tech and design-trend savvy co-workers keep you on top of what's hot in a variety of fields. Clients and portfolio are killer and an honor to represent. Creative and intelligent folks all around!

Cons

The industry causes ebbs and flows of work, which stresses out the workforce and wears on the culture, but that's just how it is. Managers are are challenged to keep up with the struggles that high peaks and low valleys of this line of work cause.

Advice to Management

Great job on keeping a vibrant culture. Keep doing the hard work of maintaining talent pipeline --- keeping it full and the stars & high-potentials engaged & feeling valued. Stay steady at balancing the client - employee - quality - profitabiilty quad-focus that is so challenging to hold. And drive sales of what you do best and where you strategically aim to grow. Full-on courage + intelligence required at all times and you sure have it.

"Hanson Dodge Creative is an amazing place to work -- great environment with great people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Exceptionally talented and creative colleagues, a strong focus on work/life balance -- work hard and play hard, a healthy focus on active lifestyle including an on-site gym. A beautiful & well-designed, hip environment in a perfect Third Ward location. Very caring leadership supports a strong commitment to the community through things like AIGA WI and Common Ground. I've often been told by former colleagues who left that HDC was their favorite place to work.

Cons

It's hard to think of any cons, other than something that may be common to a lot of branding & marketing firms and the design industry as a whole, which is that the workload is not very consistent -- sometimes too quiet, sometimes too busy, rarely just even. The only other thing I can think of is that a few times, new job descriptions have not been well-baked and tightened up enough, which created a risk of misinterpreted expectations both for the employee and for the firm. (I think this is the unintended result of trying to be open to individuals' strengths and what they have to offer unfolding over time.)

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you've been doing well for over 30 years, stay open and honest and transparent and rewarding of excellent employees with the great environment you've created. Relative to the only cons I could think of above, try to be more clear in job descriptions for some of the more loosely defined roles.

"Great place!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Hanson Dodge Creative full time for more than a year and I continue to enjoy coming to work each day. I am constantly being challenged by my job and my colleagues. I genuinely enjoy the work I do each day and am never bored with the vast array of work I do from week- to- week. The work-life balance is a huge bonus on top of working with an extremely intelligent group of people with a wide diversity of talent. I would recommend Hanson Dodge Creative to anyone in search of a job within the advertising world.

Cons

Like any other workplace, there will be issues to overcome. Our leadership team has done an extraordinary job in listening to any concerns and ensuring that they are heard and managed. This is something that is unique to any other workplace I have been before.

"Great place to Work!"

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The three things I like about HDC are the people, pace and the participation. The people are competent and easy-going, the pace is not insane but busy enough to be fun and the participation is creative and respectful.

Cons

We could use a better sense of role definition because so many people can do so many things, we step on each other's feet once in a while.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency and listening!

"Simply some of the brightest minds and enjoyable people I've worked with, in a great business operation."

Current Employee - Director of Web Strategy in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Director of Web Strategy in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The entire agency, to a person, takes responsibility for their continual contribution and superior work product. The internal mantra of 'best idea wins' isn't just lip service, it's born out in every interaction I've experienced, at every level of the organization.

For an agency that excels in branding, marketing and technology, Hanson Dodge Creative has detailed procedures in place to facilitate great brand leadership, client results, and innovative technology. At the same time, every area is open to constructive self-examination for process improvement - and takes action to drive results.

Aside from the obvious perks like flexibility of schedule, great consumer clients (as well as a portfolio of strong B2B), fitness facility and showers, and an open, friendly atmosphere, I've noticed a real drive to succeed and build on success to a person.

Standards are high. There's an open desire for everyone to do their best work, and there is the focus, latitude and humanity of management that make it possible for that to happen. What a great place to work, contribute, succeed and grow!

Cons

This is not a place for the timid, thin-skinned or faint of heart. Vision and growth are pursued with vigor and robust passion. When everyone cares deeply about their work, it fuels strong opinion. It's challenging, but utlimately, fruitful.

Advice to Management

As you grow, make sure to foster small, nimble, innovative initiatives in addition to the larger, sustaining creative successes. In doing so, you'll plant the seeds that grow into larger opportunities in time.

"Passion, thought leadership and fun."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At HDC, you'll find a culture that pushes you to be your very best while encouraging a healthy work-life balance. We're surrounded by expert strategists, brilliant creatives, and a team that makes you feel more like family than a coworker. The leadership team that is just as focused on the morale of its employees and clients than the bottom line. I've yet to encounter somebody who would sacrifice quality at any cost - there is a tremendous sense of pride in the agency, which trickles down from Hanson and Dodge themselves.

Cons

There are bumps along the road, as there will be in any workplace. Leadership views our concerns and problems as an opportunity for improvement, and welcomes any input from employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead with transparency and maintain your open door policy. Weekly department meetings ensure all voices are heard, and the ability to communicate directly with the leadership team is reassuring.

"My roots are planted."

Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Hanson Dodge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hanson Dodge Creative is a place full of creative, intelligent and kind people. It's exciting to be surrounded by people who inspire and challenge me on a daily basis. The way strategy meets creative execution at HDC is powerful and the integrity of the work is unmatched by any other agency I've ever worked for in my 12-year career in the branding/marketing business. In addition to producing smart, impactful work, HDC is a place that treats employees with compassion and respect. The team at HDC is sincerely the most driven, fun, kind and intelligent group of people I have ever worked with.

Cons

No workplace is perfect - we are a large group of people bring our individual strengths to the table and putting them to work for a greater purpose. There are bound to be challenges and bumps along the way. What makes HDC so unique is that concerns are taken seriously. Upper management listens and, more importantly, takes action to solve any problems that may arise. I immensely appreciate this approach to leadership.

Advice to Management

Please continue to lead with transparency, open-mindedness and compassion. Its one of the reasons I love working at HDC.

"No desire to be a technical agency despite the change in the marketing industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

A very nice variety of projects with great clients. Colleagues are great and there is a very good team dynamic on most projects.

Cons

Very poor understanding of what it takes or a commitment to set expectations with clients on projects or changes in project work. Very top down high pressure situations are created regardless of the changes in priority or expectation. Strong leadership at a high level is very lacking and communication is poor

Advice to Management

Be less political and do not lead projects or people by ego or volume. Lead by example and if you can't, find and pay someone who will

"Nobody's Steering the Ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Freedom to create your own career path, and some great work comes out of there despite itself.

Cons

Poor leadership, lack of decisiveness, bad hires and an unwillingness to acknowledge bad hires. Little to no feedback on job performance. There is no value placed on training and development.

Emphasis on employees working through their own problems rather than addressing specific personnel problems.

There are highly paid non-performers in top management who seemingly do nothing but get in the way of everyone else's work.

Advice to Management

Throw the bums out.