Happy Goal Kids English Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 20, 2018

4.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good balance between work and free time"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Happy Goal Kids English full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've spent 3 years working at Happy Goal and during this time I've seen positive changes in the company management and working environment. Working with kids was easy and joyful, and for most of the times you get their love and respect. Best things about working as an ESL Teacher in Happy Goal are its fun working environment and international team - your coworkers are from different countries and cultures, and that makes it perfect to learn from them and become more open to "things" in life.

- Decent teaching materials and supplies are provided and all lesson plans prepared. However, you have freedom to prepare your classes as you wish (as long as you stay within the lesson topic).
    - Once you go through all your lesson plans, you have plenty, and I really mean plenty of free time to use for yourself (learn Chinese, read, watch videos etc.).
    - Reasonable working schedule (by contract up to 22 teaching hours per week, in reality even less).
    - Helpful and supportive Chinese colleagues (with whom I've became good friends).

Cons

- No two consecutive days off (either Mon-Wed or Tue-Thu) and hard to get vacation/days off on weekends.
    - HQ management doesn't speak English well or at all, so there were several occasions when teachers had problems because of misunderstanding or lack of communication.
    - I felt that the service that the students’ families paid for wasn’t always what was promised. Some, not all, arrived with expectations that sales may have implied.
    - Limited communication between the EDU department and the other departments (Sales in particular).

Advice to Management

- More financial support and opportunities for career development to "stable" teachers who are in the company for more than 2 years.
    - Focus on quality, not quantity, when employing new teaching staff.
    - Give more certified training to teaching staff (e.g. additional TKT, TEFL/TESOL, CELTA etc.).
    - Improve HQ staff: employ more foreigners or locals with working experience abroad.

2. "Great work and cultural experience"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher Trainer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher Trainer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Happy Goal Kids English full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an actual employee, I've enjoyed most of my time working for this company. Teaching kids is an awesome experience that has been quite joyful. Kids love you and parents are quite grateful so see foreigners teaching their kids English
    - I've always been helped by Chinese staff whenever I was in need (hospital, banking, visas, etc.)
    - Great chance to meet people from different countries.
    - Growth opportunities for foreigners.

Cons

Here are cons that I noticed from other teachers
    - Some people find it difficult adapting to Chinese culture and management style, they expect things to run the same way as back home.
    - Being stubborn or unwilling to change your teaching style won't help at all here.
    - If teaching or being with kids is not your thing and you come here just for traveling, don't even bother.

Advice to Management

- Annual increases & promotion raises could be better.
    - Increase number of Western personnel in management.
    - Listen to teachers needs to get a whole picture in how to improve things.

3. "Great place to start teaching in China"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Happy Goal Kids English full-time

Pros

- Supportive tutors
    - Great kids
    - Good materials
    - More training/academic support now compared to when I started
    - Reasonable work schedule and good salary for a training center

Cons

- Limited reprimands/punishments for those teachers that don't put in sufficient effort
    - Local tutors aren't paid much, but that seems to be an industry-wide problem
    - Disparity in working environment between centers can be quite large, new ones look great and older ones are kind of messy

Advice to Management

- More foreigners in management team
    - Standardise environment in centers and make sure local managers maintain it
    - Continue to give more training to teaching staff
    - Better training for local supervisors (limited management skills)

4. "Good working enviroment"

Former Employee - Senior Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Senior Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Happy Goal Kids English full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Have all teaching materials
    * Good communication within coworkers
    * Many teaching opportunities (different ages, freedom of lesson plan)

Cons

* Really depends on the concrete office
    * Supervision might be poor

"Senior ESL Teacher in China"

Current Employee - Senior ESL Teacher in Changzhou, Jiangsu (China)
    Current Employee - Senior ESL Teacher in Changzhou, Jiangsu (China)

I have been working at Happy Goal Kids English full-time

Pros

-The salary is quite good compared to other schools, and due to low cost of living in China, it is easy to save money.
    - The class number per week are fairly low
    - You can create your own courseware

Cons

- There is a cultural barrier to understanding managements decision-making.
    - The language barrier can make it difficult to both work and live in China.
     - Limited communication between the ESL department and the other departments.

6. "Focus on the students, they're a joy!"

Current Employee - Head Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Head Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Happy Goal Kids English full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students are amazing and I have the chance to work at one of their biggest centers with great facilities and lots of materials. Teaching is always great, the materials are all provided and if you have put in the necessary time and effort to plan a fun and dynamic class your success is pretty much guaranteed.

Cons

The management doesn't speak much English, the Center Director doesn't speak a word of English, which makes communication with your direct managers a bit complicated, but the people at HQ, as long as you have been good (no lateness or no complaints from parents) they will be more than glad to help you out.

Advice to Management

Teachers who are doing a good job need and deserve more support. Stable managers, in the last year we had 5 different supervisors in the Education Department and almost a complete turn over of teachers. Foster the passion for teaching in your employees, make education the main goal.

7. "The money is good."

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Changzhou, Jiangsu (China)
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Changzhou, Jiangsu (China)

I worked at Happy Goal Kids English (Less than a year)

Pros

High salary. The students are super cute. Great housing provided. Tight-knit coworkers. Great area in Changzhou.

Cons

Hours are long, especially on weekends. Unfair treatment of local Chinese employees. Management seems out of touch with the realities of education. You're required to be a "face" for the company to attract new clients.

Advice to Management

First of all, the ESL teachers don't even know your names. In over a year working there, I never once met nor saw anyone from regional nor national. The Chinese tutors are the ones doing all the really heavy work. They should be compensated fairly, no more pay cuts. Is this a business or a school? Nobody is really clear on the distinction, and that causes conflict.

8. "Enjoyable working environment"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Happy Goal Kids English full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An education provider that provides it's teachers all the tools and support needed to teach a good class, 40 hour weeks with 16 hours of lessons so plenty of time to plan. Full support in getting Visa's, colleagues you working with create a good social atmosphere. Stable company that will be there when you wake up the next day. Some good training provided on joining the company. Opportunities to become senior teacher and head teacher.

Cons

Weekend working and days off are separated, communication of changes to working conditions could be better.

Advice to Management

Communicate well, keep improving the working environment.