Happy State Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Happy State Bank President & CEO J. Pat Hickman
J. Pat Hickman

1. "About as good as you can get!"

Current Employee - Banking Officer in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Banking Officer in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Happy State Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment. The company actually cares about you. The core values aren't just there - they actually believe them and live them. One that is always growing and moving.

Cons

politics - but you find this everywhere. Pay is not competitive

Advice to Management

pay your shining stars before they ask.

"A struggling culture built by "baby-boomers""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

Pros

-Good benefits (Healthcare etc)
    -Overall business structure
    -Try to show they care
    -Regular working people are great

Cons

-Sexist/racist comments EVERYWHERE
    -No competitive compensation, especially for women
    -Tired and archaic business practices
    -So. much. CEO. brown. nosing

Advice to Management

-Think of newer sound ideas vs ego boosts for the CEO
    -Stop being a "Yes Man" and start building a company affluent with the future workforce

"Mostly Happy"

Former Employee - Buyer/Marketing Coordinator in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Buyer/Marketing Coordinator in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Happy State Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is great at customer service and seeking to keep their customers happy.

Cons

Work environment is not always as Happy as they make it sound.

5. "Operations specialist"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Amarillo, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Amarillo, TX

Pros

Company is great, CEO is very open and honest. Health insurance rocks!

Cons

The pay could be a little more competitive (maybe bonuses?)

6. "Going downhill fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Happy State Bank full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Happy was the best employer I could of imagined 3-5 years ago. Insurance / HSA, 401k, KSOP

Cons

The company culture has really changed from when I first started. Within the last year Pat has delegated responsibilities to people who are relatively new in the company who are taking things in a different direction. We used to be a small town bank with small town cares and morals. Now we are fighting with the big dogs and it feels like all that went out the window

Advice to Management

Get back to our roots and listen to our younger employees. The usually have a completely different approach and will try things different from "the way we've always done things".

7. "Happy State Bank"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Happy State Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the area you work in, there can be many opportunities for career development. Working in a company that is riding a high of successes can be exciting.

Cons

There is a clear group-think mentality that happens in this company. There is lip service to transparency and honesty. Then there is an unspoken rule to only ever say good things and put the most optimistic spin on everything.

Advice to Management

Top Executive needs to delegate. It's commendable he likes to be accountable for every aspect of his business. But it's not scalable and sends a message that those put in the roles beneath him can't be trusted to complete their responsibility.

"Happy State Bank"

Former Employee - Operations Clerk in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Clerk in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Happy State Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Jobs are easy to learn. Work is steady. Insurance benefits are good.

Cons

Pay is not competitive. Promotions are give to those who are good brown nosers. Performance does not get you any recognition. Management does not have the backs of the employees. There is lots if drama and backstabbing.

Advice to Management

Take a look a which workers are doing a great job. Promotions should be given to those who work hard and well. Don't give promotions to people that can't do their job and you need to find something else for them. Hire internally when you have fitting positions for current employees.

9. "Good Employer"

I have been working at Happy State Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees genuinely care about each other. Happy doesn't just go along with the core values - we embrace them. We live them out each and every day.

Cons

Management could work on confrontation.

10. "Great, in theory"

I have been working at Happy State Bank full-time

Pros

On paper, the company has a great set of core values. It's following them that's the problem. The benefits (not including pay) are pretty good. The vacation and sick time is above average, insurance is good, though extremely expensive, and they match 401k contributions up to 6%. The people are great. For the most part, everyone has a pretty good attitude. You can easily make lifelong friends here.

Cons

Where to begin? Pay isn't commensurate with education, experience, or value. It certainly isn't keeping up with industry or area average. Then there's the office politics. Everyone is competing for power or an officer title...probably because they think it might increase their pay, or maybe because officers are just treated better, like they matter more. There's an inner struggle to want to be named officer and also hating the construction of it all. There's a real lack of propriety amongst management. They behave as though it's gossip hour as opposed to behaving like actual leaders who fight for their people. Probably because they were given management positions without any actual leadership qualities or training. Managers aren't expected to keep up with their skills or industry. They fall behind and then people who have kept up or who are younger and have a fresher take on things get hired under them, and feel frustration with not being able to help things grow or change because, "this is how we've always done it." Pat, the CEO, says he doesn't say or believe this, but his people do. I believe Pat is open to change. Employees can email him anonymously to offer ideas or suggestions, but most are scared to. No one believes the emails are truly anonymous, and periodically, he will go on a rampage about an email that was sent and how it simply isn't true or whatever. So, people are too scared to really be honest. You definitely don't see any of this in the beginning. I know that when I started, I was overwhelmed with amazement for the company, and how they did things. However, the closer you get to management, or the longer you've been around, the more the politics come to light. It's really sad because it could be an incredibly amazing place to work.

Advice to Management

Evaluate pay for all of your employees. Certain departments are seriously underpaid. I imagine it is bank wide, but for sure...certain departments.
    Give your managers quality training to be better managers. Pay attention to turn around. There's a reason for it, and it's unlikely to be the people leaving.

11. "Accounting Intern"

Pros

Absolutely great company to work for. I applied online and had an interview scheduled the next week. I was offered the position about a week after my interview. The internship offers a great introduction to banking and financial reporting within the bank.

Cons

I have thought long and hard, but I cannot come up with any cons to working for Happy, but my stay was only for 2 months.

Advice to Management

Keeping hiring excellent employees! Everyone was incredibly welcoming and helpful. Focus on retaining employees with excellent personalities, especially as you branch out into the Dallas market.