Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution Reviews in Fort Pierce, FL | Glassdoor

Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution Fort Pierce Reviews

Fort Pierce, FL

2.8
CEO

"Great place to work with great people, not to mention the prime location on the Indian River Lagoon!"

Current Intern - Chemistry Intern in Fort Pierce, FL
    Current Intern - Chemistry Intern in Fort Pierce, FL

I have been working at Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There is always funding for new drugs. Everyone who works there wants to be there and enjoy their job. There are always opportunities for personal accomplishments to be recognized and to learn something new. The location is 5 minutes from a beautiful beach. As a former intern, I feel that I am always welcome back to Harbor Branch.

Cons

Fort Pierce is a fairly small town and about an hour from any large city. As with any research institute, pay depends on grant money, and grant money is often limited.

"Not the best place to work"

Former Employee - Biological Scientist in Fort Pierce, FL
    Former Employee - Biological Scientist in Fort Pierce, FL

I worked at Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think it varies a lot by department, but I had very few good experiences at HBOI. A handful of people I was briefly able to work with were awesome, but that's about it for positives.

Cons

For the most part, management is clueless. The employees are not considered important or valued much at all. In my experience, the entire place is pretty inefficient and dysfunctional. A lot of the science is mediocre too. Don't get me wrong, some departments are doing good science, but many are not.

There is also zero opportunity for advancement or personal improvement. Pay increases are nonexistent and, at least in my department, there wasn't even a chance of getting to work on something new. It was a dead-end job. I even had my boss tell me "learning is not part of your job description".

Advice to Management

Clean house. Most of upper management needs to be let go.