Harbor Freight Tools Head Pricing Coordinator Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt

Pros
  • Company is growing very rapidly so always something new to handle (in 29 reviews)

• Paid time off is available even for part time (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • awful hours not a good work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Sometimes upper management can be indecisive (in 46 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Gastonia, NC
    Former Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Gastonia, NC

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Great for students or someone looking for part time hours.

Cons

Part time only unless you are management. No room for advancement.

2. "Pricing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Pricing Coordinator & Assistant Head Cashier in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Pricing Coordinator & Assistant Head Cashier in Longview, TX

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools (Less than a year)

Pros

Work in your own space
    Always moving
    Simple enough position

Cons

Awful hours
    Heavy work load
    not every task is straight forward

Advice to Management

More communication

"Worse Retail Company"

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Nashville, TN

Pros

Benefits - If you can call it that.

Cons

Grossly underpaid as Head Pricing Coordinator as well as being understaffed. Cooperate goomba's in charge of scheduling deliveries and scheduling recal's, and scheduling price changes do not interact in any way, leaving EVERY ASPECT to be scheduled all at once. Never the same schedule. Required to work 12 hour shifts 4 nights a week, every week, with little to no time off between shifts. Other employees ignore my words and just do as a please when putting product on the sales floor. Not enough staff, HPC and Cashiers have no choice but to work truck deliveries every week. Only 6 Full Time Positions, every cashier only works one day a week. As HPC, no room for advancement. District and Regional Managers have their nose stuck so high in the air they can't be bothered by employees, and cuss and yell at store managers and employees in front of customers.

Advice to Management

Better Interdepartmental Conversations. Lower Expectations on low volume stores in order to reduce high turn over rate.

5. "Head pricing coordinator"

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Dover, DE
    Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Dover, DE

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job. Laid back management.

Cons

not enough pay Or hours for the amount of work you do

"Head Pricing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Covina, CA

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, Great Co-workers

Cons

Not enough hours yet so many things to get done.
    Rude customers who try to talk down to you.
    Some days you're just over worked.
    Inadequately compensated to do what my job title entails, still work truck, and be a main cashier at times.

Advice to Management

This company needs to adequately compensate their Head Pricing Coordinators. The planograms that are assigned can be tedious and a pain in the butt. Pricing for the "red tag sale" or "giant liquidation" isn't a sale when you're just simply changing the overlay color, it's a waste of time in my opinion. Start looking at your HPC as members of leadership.

"I loved working for this company, but in the end the company plays favorites and doesn't care about their employees."

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Panama City, FL

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Paid time off for part timers and full time.
    -flexible hours
    -closed for thanksgiving and Christmas
    -only 6 blacked out weekends a year

Cons

-lack of communication between management and district management
    -angry customers
    -customers blame cashiers for getting what they paid for
    -consistency
    -gossip
    -high turnover rate in employees
    -preach about moving up in the company but rarely happens unless you're a favorite of the District Manager
    -hours get cut randomly even though they keep hiring
    -management asks employee to use PTO to make up for pay roll issues monthly

Advice to Management

Store meetings would be helpful. It would allow a whole store to get together and be on the same page. Especially for a new store that can't seem to figure out what is suppose to be done by policy or just because someone says so. When opening a new store make sure that the manager over that store is an internal employee that way they know policies and procedures.

8. "Best job I've had; it's what YOU make of it."

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Turnersville, NJ
    Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Turnersville, NJ

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Expectations are kept reasonable and attainable. If everyone puts forth 100% effort, you should see success and growth in all areas. Management team (at least at my location) is effective, and works well together despite frequently butting heads over details. The health benefits are pretty sweet, for a retail position, and won't break the bank either. Definitely opportunity for advancement if you make the extra effort; they're not just going to hand you promotions. Processes, for the most part, make sense and are able to be implemented easily and efficiently. Customer base is, for the most part, pleasant to deal with. Company seems to invest itself in its employees, certainly more so than any other company I've worked with. Overall, the atmosphere is pleasant and relaxed.

Cons

Free items are a headache and a half. Pricing system is time consuming and convoluted at current; I've been hearing rumors of an update in the works, and desperately hope it's true. Number/name collection can cause friction with customers, especially in case of returns: people don't want to give their numbers out anymore. Planograms are designed poorly on paper, even if the concept behind them is usually great. Most of that comes from skewed product proportions and sizes. As with any retail position, if your management team takes a less than desirable approach towards... well... management, then you're not going to have a good time. While my managers are great, I've heard horror stories about some of the other locations, where favoritism and commission rigging/theft run rampant. Happy to say I can't personally attest to those. Also as with any retail job, if you're going to make your location succeed, you're inevitably going to have to pick up others' slack. I can say that we have a couple of people at my location who have a terrible attitude and work ethic that we often have to pick up slack for, who are allowed to stay on because their add-on percentages are high. Also, on trucks, the state of the shipments are often deplorable. Heavy items stacked on top of light items, unstable-looking, packaging crushed and torn. Definitely a little questionable, but as long as you pay attention and follow protocol, you're usually fine.

Advice to Management

In the future, if you have a store that is opening in an area that shares a zipcode with another area, please listen to the employees for that new store, who know what town you're actually in. You lose business if customers can't find you because they're looking in the wrong town, which has been a recurring problem for my location. Other than that, I suppose just consider the points I addressed in the "cons" section... specifically about truck. As a small female, it can get a little scary facing off against a leaning tower of power tools, especially when they have fallen in the past.

"Reasonable work for a friendly company"

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful management and co-workers to work for. Straight forward working requirements.

Cons

The computer softwares are antiquated. Having to work 5am every Monday because of lack of dedicated receiving staff.

Advice to Management

The computer systems and software need to be brought into the 21st century within a reasonable amount of time.

"Head Pricing Cordinator"

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator

Pros

Some nice people to work with.

Cons

Pay is low for what's expected. Was told I would get a certain amount and didn't get it. Been there almost 3 years and between to raises and a promotion haven't even made a dollar.

Advice to Management

Need to look out for Employees better.

11. "Alright, not great"

Current Employee - Head Pricing Coordinator

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If I find any pros I will gladly tell someone about them, in the meantime none, run away unless you're desperate for work and need a paycheck.

Cons

Low wage, raise percentage increases guarantee you never make any money unless you're management for extended period of time. They call "spifs" a way to pad your check but half the ESPs cost as much as a new product. Don't expect too much advancement within this company most managers don't look at seniority, they decide themselves whether you are fit to be part of their "leadership" team.

Advice to Management

Pull your heads out of your butts and take the time to realize minimum wage is not something your associates can live on, even if working for you is a second job. Most of your employees could care less about their coworkers positions or responsibilities cause they don't have to do rhem.