Harbor Freight Tools Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Harbor Freight Tools CEO Eric Smidt
Eric Smidt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company is growing very rapidly so always something new to handle (in 29 reviews)

• Paid time off if you build up hour (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • awful hours not a good work life balance (in 32 reviews)

• Upper management is very negative to employees "below them" (in 52 reviews)

1. "Low pay for hard work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Orem, UT

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools (More than 3 years)

Pros

Harbor Freight give some people a chance when other employers might not. They do not discriminate by how someone looks or how they dress.

Cons

Low close to minimum wag and hard warehouse work, over night, and odd hours. They expect what is unachievable at times.

Advice to Management

Pay more to get better quality people. Promote from within, they are the ones that work hard to get into high paying positions. They are the ones vested in the company.

2. "Great company, and great compensation."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance, great pay, and great upper management. My current DM is a great guy, and understands family comes first.

Cons

The only con is more of a hit or miss. This job can be really stressful if your DM isn't a decent human. Other wise there are truly zero complaints.

Advice to Management

None

Nov 29, 2017 – Employment Branding Specialist

Thank you so much for your feedback and for being a part of our family in Tucson, AZ for over 8 years! As you know, we are committed to continuous improvement, and will utilize your feedback to keep... More

"Lack of involvement"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small private company, great customer base. Unique environment sales spiffs encourage associate selling. Benefits are pretty good nowadays and affordable

Cons

Work life balance is non existent, lack of communication, tasking so much the logistics team is broken down into nothing and increases turnover. Unrealistic work expectations

Advice to Management

Look at your dm presence and the lack of engagement within you're districts I've heard the other districts actually represent the company well Chicago does not.

Nov 20, 2017 – Employment Branding Specialist

Thank you so much for your feedback, it will help us in our continuous improvement in this region and others. We wish you the best in your future career goals!

4. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Winnsboro, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Winnsboro, TX

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools (More than a year)

Pros

Growing, expanding, great company, good benefits, good management. That pretty much sums it all up. Not going anywhere and very profitable

Cons

Small company, growing pains, little behind on processes, some processes are redundant and uncalled for. Small foot print. Transfer is not easy

Nov 20, 2017 – Employment Branding Specialist

Thank you so much for your feedback and positive outlook for Harbor Freight! We wish you and the team in Winnsboro, TX the very best, and look forward to seeing you in stores!

"Store manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good job for first manager position. Good for the new manager, or someone out of school

Cons

No room to be a manager, everything is dictated, only thing you have to do is memorize stupid sop and success drivers, this isn't being a manager it's being a puppet. Dm and regional Don't have a clue about team building.

Advice to Management

Build a team don't continue to tear down without building back up

Dec 6, 2017 – Employment Branding Specialist

We're sorry that you're not currently having the experience that you desire at Harbor Freight, but appreciate you sharing your feedback which will help in our continual improvement. Know that your... More

""Don't Work in Central Texas""

Former Employee - Store Manager in Central, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Central, TX

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has the intentions to be great. People at the store level trying to be "best in class" was inspiring and fun.

Cons

Gave everything I had 7 days a week in a difficult location with limited resources. No support from upper management. It is difficult to work somewhere where the District Manager uses time away from the store (family emergency/scheduled vacation) to do negative store visits. Employees are not allowed to be held accountable for mistakes or LP issues. Unannounced visits with the intention of finding policy violations. Obvious favoritism for Store Managers that did not perform to standard or put in much effort.

Advice to Management

Make your management teams feel valued for their loyalty, hard work, and respect and appreciate their family commitments. Monitor how the District Managers respond, treat, and engage the management teams. At times the level of disrespect and tone were unacceptable for something a simple as the wrong shelf height on a plan-o-gram. Never forget who does the Hard Work!!!

7. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Ceredo, WV
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Ceredo, WV

I have been working at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Bonus Plan for results

Cons

Work Week Expectations is to work 7 days a week

Advice to Management

Consistency will help a lot

"A Difficult Place to Work For"

Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Visalia, CA
    Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Visalia, CA

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great pay, i was able to hire people who were hard workers in an attempt to better the work atmosphere

Cons

lots of backstabbing, lots of relationships that made it difficult to come to work from outside the little cliques, upper management outside of store uninterested in truths or whats actually happening, just want to sweep problems under the rug and are unhelpful to store level management. could not believe that a group of people could continue to lie to hr and get multiple people fired because of their lies

Advice to Management

allow store management more control of firing problem employees. when their hands are tied, employees will continue to cause problems and then the good people leave and become unhappy because of the hostile working conditions

"Compensation was competitive but it came at a price"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Harbor Freight is a rapidly growing retailer where new stores are added every 4 days approximately. The stores offer a wide array of tools for do-it-youselfers, weekend warriors, and now through the launch of their better quality tools, even contractors. Base pay was lower than I expected, but the promise of large quarterly bonuses was accurate and made up for the lower pay. My salary was "whole" when I came to HFT. Upper management is incredibly talented and seeing the presentations at annual meeting in Las Vegas will confirm that. So in a nutshell, lots of growth, solid pay potential, lots of talent in the organization from upper management all the way down to the store manager level.

Cons

The cons at HFT are the same cons at all retailers. Work/life balance is practically non-existent. A 45-hour "typical" workweek regularly approaches 50-52 hours and stores have tasks that might go from as early as 4 AM in a week to midnight in that same week. All tasks (pricing, POGs, recalibrations, truck processing, etc.) are to be done in dark hours, but the labor doesn't allow that so it there is a constant jockeying tasks and available hours. Stores run on limited labor and even though I managed a mid-level store, I would often have myself plus 2 associates in the building. With all of the growth, there appears to be limited internal promotion opportunities. As in other retailers, metrics rule the day and certain ones take precedent like ESP and other sales metrics- even though they don't align with the company's priorities. At the end of the day, it is a good job for the money, but it wears on you. I have worked for other retailers, and this one seemed to take away more and more family time as it went on.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of talent in upper management, but there is not a meaningful way for stores to suggest process improvements. SOP can be an ally at times, but the stores possess incredibly talented people as well. Use that talent!

10. "Great place to work to get your start in retail managment"

Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - ASM- Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Harbor Freight Tools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun hard work but worth it

Cons

unstable hours and can be physically hard

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the workers

Aug 12, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We are all working so hard to make Harbor Freight a Great Place to work and shop. Over the past few years we have made some big changes to the way we operate and how we recognize our associates and... More